• Published 15th Jan 2024
  • 726 Views, 32 Comments

My Little Rogue Trader - Tyrannosaurus_Tux



Nothing about this is as I remember... but then, again, I don't remember anything about being a space privateer with a pony retinue.

  • ...
4
 32
 726

7 - Reassembly

"Surgery complete. Bionic system network repaired. Lord Captain reassembled. Rousing..."

A claw poked my forehead. I twitched, much too tired to actually get up, but Polarscale was having none of it. He poked me again.

"I bid you to rise, Rogue Trader," He poked me once more. I groaned. This time, I did make an honest attempt to rise. It wasn't fast enough, apparently, so Polarscale placed a hand on my upper back and grabbed my arm, and growled, "Get up, Edo."

My eyes snapped open as pain shot through my head. It was like the itching from before, but more intense. An image appeared in my mind. Polarscale's young face. It was covered in blood. He was showing his teeth and pained red eyes, and he had no augments on his body whatsoever. I blinked, and the image gave way to Magos Polarscale, Prime Enginseer, and Personal Physician. I grabbed Polarscale's arms, covered as they were by the robes he was wearing. I panted.

I gasped as Polarscale looked me over. "Apologies," he said. "I don't know what came over me."

"You..." I breathed. "You were covered in blood. Smaller. You didn't have any machine... parts," I recalled, the image still fresh in my mind, if not my eyes. "A memory," I realized aloud as Polarscale nodded.

"The day we met, Edo," the dragon explained. "And the day you saved my life."

More pain. Another image. "Oh, days," I moaned. "Your legs are gone." I shook in a violent shiver. I looked at my hands, covered in blood. Polarscale's blood. I was desperately tying tight knots and using whatever bandages I had. I looked at Polar's mechanical legs. They were much better than the prosthetics I helped him learn to walk on... back... back in Equestria.

I gripped my head. My legs and my back ached from carrying Polarscale. But that was so long ago... or was it happening right now?

I choked. "Ponyville," I gasped, out of breath. "I have to get you back to Ponyville."

Looking around, Polarscale grabbed my arms. He told me, reassuringly, "You did, Edo. You did."

I looked down, seeing my torso. I was lousy with scars. They ached. A new surgical bandage covered my sternum. "Where am I?" I hoarsely asked.

"You, Lord Captain, are in Chirurgeon Unit 1 of the First Medicae Station aboard," reminded the Magos. He sighed, then added, "Surgery room in one of the ship's hospitals. Your ship."

I remember... a mess of hair and teeth. I wondered. "What... what even took your legs, anyway?"

Polarscale lifted my head up to meet his eyes. He thought for a moment, then remarked, "I... never found out. One of those beasts of Equestria that never got named."

I nodded, remembering more of that weird thing. Another flash of pain, and I remember the knife I used. "It was like..." I recalled aloud, "A really hairy squig, I think."

"If..." Polarscale said, uncertainty in his voice. "If you say so."

"That is," I recalled, holding my hand up, in a grip. "That is... before I used my knife to re-enact...." Another flash of pain, and I couldn't even finish my joke, let alone remember what I was going to say. "Re-enact..." I coughed and sagged forward.

Polarscale looked around the room, and I followed his gaze. It was empty, save for sterile medical machines and the white bulkheads and decking. He shuddered and sighed, then pulled me in for a hug. I was just about smothered by robe and dragon, and I returned the gesture as best I could as the fog of memory cleared from my mind. My breathing steadied.

We remained like that for a little while, before I had the thought to say, "Thank you, Polarscale."

He nodded, and said, recalling, "You held me just like this at Ponyville General. I... was damaged beyond repair... beyond the abilities of the ponies. My life was over. That was it for me. You..."

I remembered. I mentioned, "I helped you back to life. You still had your arms, your wings." He nodded.

He sighed next to my ear. He pulled me tighter against the metal and scales of his chest. "You are my best friend," he emphasized. "I... wouldn't trade that time with you for anything, not even my old legs back."

I grinned. I teased, "Doesn't hurt to have some new ones, does it?" Polarscale chuckled.

"Oh, that came later," he reminded me, threatening to pierce the fog again. He released me, and I was able to stand up from the operating table.

I looked at the scars on my chest. "You saved my life," I recalled. He placed a hand on my shoulder. "Guess that makes us even, huh?"

"No," denied Polarscale. I looked up to meet his eyes. "It means we are indebted to each other forever, Dragon Lord and Omnissiah as my witness."

I smiled. "Guess I can live with that," I concluded.

"Come," Polarscale said. "Other matters demand your attention."


I wasn't really sure what I was expecting when I entered the ship's Astro-Comms center. Perhaps a giant room full of radios, or... devices that looked like radios. But when I entered, I saw stars. The room was a sphere, a map, but not a map. Stars twinkled and shone, as though they were from a real night sky, not a display. The entrance gave way to a walkway, an arching bridge. In the center of the room sat a platform, and a throne. The platform was held up by yet another machine, busy with cables and blinking lights.

I took a tentative step, looking at the back of the throne. I knew there was somebody in there, but I also... sensed it. Not with eyes. Not with smell. Not with sound. I looked at the false night sky, not knowing if it really was a false night sky. We were suspended not in the bowels of a ship, but suspended in infinity.

I took a few more steps, a growing confidence clanging my boots against the steel walkway. Slowly, the chair rotated and its occupant greeted me. A man, a pale, bald, gaunt-looking guy. He wore pale robes, as well as the usual psyker accouterments. He lifted up his head, gray eyes meeting mine.

"Lord Captain," said the impossibly ancient seer. "You have one new message."

I blinked. "What?" I asked, dumbfounded. The stars did not know, for they were only stars.

The Astropath, whose name I was told was Harc von Scor, ignored my question and continued, "Message one..." He dipped his head, shook violently, then raised his head again. He said, in a voice no longer his own, "Rogue Trader Edo, if you are receiving this, return to Hassia at once. I am en route with Rogue Traders Ricarda and Cota. We have much to discuss." The voice had been... eerily calm and casual for having possessed this guy. The Astropath's head fell limp before Harc could regain control of himself. He smacked his lips.

I looked at him with wide eyes. "Are you okay?" I asked, sincerely. That did not look like fun. He was somehow even paler than before, but he waved me off.

I could smell ozone, even as Harc reported, "That always happens when one of your nephews is calling."

Huh?

"Lord Captain," Astropath Harc interrupted my thoughts. "What is your reply?"

I rolled my neck. He and I spoke, in perfect unison, "I still have to rescue those space marines. I'll come to Hassia after I... what are you doing? ...Over and out."

The Astropath shook in his chair.

"Alright," I decided to say. I looked at poor Harc, before I told him, "Take care of yourself, now. Get some color on your skin."

He raised an eyebrow. I insisted, "You're as pale as a ghost, man. Get some help." For good measure, I even commanded, "And that's an order from your Lord Captain." After a pause, he nodded, and I paused. Looking at the stars. "They are very pretty today," I really did thought they were.

Unsure of what to say to that, Harc simply agreed, "Yes, Lord Captain. They are."

I turned around on the catwalk and departed.

Today was gonna be like any other; more questions than answers.


Back in my Captain's Quarters. On the big chair, my throne away from my throne. The Bridge was full of activity, as usual, but I... didn't need to be there. Briefly, I tried to imagine the distance that we would be traveling for this mission. However, I got stuck on the part where I imagined the Milky Way because I had no idea where we started and where we were going.

I popped another treat into my mouth. Dry, puffy, and cheesy. I looked at the crinkling bag. "Caseus-Pattern Imperi-Os". That... sounds about right. Mass-produced food-stuffs. Needs must, I suppose. I chewed and swallowed. I could do without my grinning face on the bag, though. I'll have to tell someone to change that. Someone like Azure, who was also munching on some Imperi-Os. We sat there a while, not saying anything, just enjoying our mutual snacks. The fireplace was on, a simulated fire.

I sighed. "I did a little bit of reading," I said to Azure. "I liked the story of your kingdom."

She nodded. "Verily," she agreed. "It is a most rousing tale." I looked into her green eyes.

More silence. I popped another of the "Imperi-Os" into my mouth. It didn't get any better. I recalled the tale as I read it, "The feudal world of Pretant was in civil war. I intervened... and chose your side over your... daughter's. Now, the most elite knights of Pretant serve Hassia as House Hassia."

She nodded. "Verily," said Azure, with a sigh. "It is so. We became House Hassia to better represent you and the Protectorate."

I worked my mouth, breathing. "I am glad I was able to end it... peaceably," I remarked. "Since it seems your knights ride big robots."

Azure smiled. "Verily," repeated Azure, annoyingly. "You are a masterful negotiator." She ate another Imperi-O... cheese puff.

I then repeated what I now knew about the end of the tale. "To further our alliance, you and a... detachment of knights joined me on the Mercy of the Stars and formed a new Knight House in my name."

"Verily." My eyebrow twitched.

I fought to keep myself calm. "So our marriage," I said, unsure. "Was nothing but a political move? There's no romance in it at all?" I had not meant to be this accusatory.

Azure tilted her head, thinking about my question. Then, she smiled. "There can be," she told me. "Truthfully, that was how I saw it at first. Just another deal with another noblepony—who's not a pony—to stop a war and secure my position as Princess of Pretant. I saw an opportunity to keep on questing, and you could take me from my insane daughter, Sober Shield. See how she actually likes running among those needy nobles."

A flash of light, and I found Azure in my lap. She kissed me. She smelled of crusty cheese. She stretched, popping a few vertebrae, and said, "Fret not... my Rogue Trader," she said softly. "You won my heart fair and square. Thou canst be quite the courtier when you desirest."

Instead of saying anything else, I stole a puff from Azure's bag with a cheeky smirk. In spiteful revenge, she took one from my bag. I pressed a finger against her snout. I declared, "You are my adorable little knight pony."

She escalated, with half-lidded eyes, "We hath sired many sons and daughters, Edo Von Hassia." Much to my growing horror, she continued, with a nasty grin, "The Von Hassia dynasty spreads like a tree to cover the whole of your protectorate." My eyes bugged out. My heart seized. My gut wrenched. My limbs froze, icy fire crawling up my fingers and toes. With teeth showing, Azure hit me with a final blow, "Your other wives... were just as fertile."

I... I—the amulet! I... choked and fainted.

A splash of water on my face. It smelled and tasted of cherry. Azure closed the canteen, smirking. She hoofed me a napkin. I sighed. I glared at Azure, and then she grinned, sheepishly. "I'm sorry," she said, slightly ashamed. "I know it's been a rough few days for you."

I got up, forcing Azure to take flight.

I moaned. "Surprises... when it rains, it pours. How many?" I asked.

"I..." Azure thought aloud as she landed. "I'm not telling you that right now... even if I knew."

Ice gripped my chest. An echo of laughter pealed in my ears as my brain hurt. "That many, huh?" I gasped.

Diplomatically, Azure said, "Why don't we..." She thought for a moment. "Let us sally forth and tarry a while in the Memorial hall. It's a place I like to visit often."

A memorial hall. Sounds humble. "Yes," I replied, as she led the way. "Let's."


The first thing I remarked on, other than the fact that wherever I visit, the ship seems emptied, was that the memorial hall was not humble in the slightest. The same gold embellishing decorations were everywhere, along with a thousand different trophies, memorial plaques, murals, and portraits. My endless victories. My noble triumphs. It made me feel like I was Mythology.

Perhaps I was.

Whatever doubts I had, whatever secret conspiracies might've taken root in my mind, nothing could have prepared me for the overwhelming amount of mythos that I was now confronted with. Was I being manipulated by those around me? Was I a pawn of fate? Was I even my own master, or did something else control me, something I couldn't see?

I looked at the engraved images of myself. Larger than life. Larger than me. Larger than sense. I possessed uncountable riches. I commanded legions unnumbered. I ruled over a hundred worlds. I loved many with a bottomless heart. My titles and deeds were uncountable. The very look on the face of the images around me seemed to mock me. Especially... her.

That portrait. It was of a woman. Human. Her blonde hair was done up, a monolith of arrogance kept in place with golden pins and chains, capped by a tiny tricorn hat. Her face... my brain hurt. She was Ricarda Cremont Lomathier, an Auric Rogue Trader. My peer. My equal. My neighbor and my nemesis. Her face and expression promised many womanly things, good and bad. That smile and those knowing purple eyes that promised, "I'll greet you or I'll tease you, and you'll never know which." She wore a noblewoman's red, gold, black dress, from the collar that cupped her massive hairdo above her head, to the corset which cupped her... large assets, which she flaunted with white frills. She held in her arms and on her shoulder a pole hammer, with gold-leaf engravings up and down the dark pole. The hammer portion glowed with runes and invisible energies, the accompanying vertical spike and rear-facing beak a very threatening combination. A wicked weapon for the best-wicked woman I ever knew.

It wasn't even a question. "You remember her, Rogue Trader," noted Azure. "She may be your peer, but she is not your equal. Remember that." I nodded, shocked by Azure's words, and moved on with a shiver. If what I was feeling now was any indication, that part of my history could stay buried for a little while longer, I felt. For now... time to deal with the elephant in the room. Rather, the many renditions of me in the room.

"I don't know if that's me," I wondered aloud, as we walked down the large corridor. "Like I'm a ghost pretending to be him, or something. I hope I'm still worthy of it all."

Azure stopped. She looked at all the trophies, the portraits, the murals, the mythology of it all. "I... had no idea you felt that way," she said. "I think... we are not our reputations."

I paused. I looked at all the gold, the imagery, the... idols. I looked at my hands. I recalled the golden light that hospitalized me not that long ago. It seems...

"It seems mighty close to deification," I remarked. Azure turned around, eyes widening. "What did they tell you of my newest injury?" I asked, earnestly.

"That..." Azure recalled with a twitch in her eyes before looking back at mine. "Thou... you pushed yourself too hard in the Psykhanium."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I turned my gaze inward, and... there it was again. A light, like the radiance and warmth of a star. A fire, unquenchable. A sun, unconquered. Was this always there?

"In a sense," I slowly said. "Yes. Though, it depends..." I closed my mind's hand around the light. I dared, "On if I was able to do this before."

I brought the light to the waking world, turning everything golden. Radiance beyond light. Hope beyond the end of all things. It took all my might to bring it to bear, and... like a muscle I never used before, ultimately lost invisible footing and the light dissipated. I fell to the deck plating, panting. I tasted ashes. I wiped my brow. No blood. At least that was a good sign.

Azure, shaking herself out of her stupor, rushed to my side at once. "By the House! What in all of Pretant was that?!" She screamed in an accent I'd never heard before.

The sound of it caused me to wonder aloud, "Huh?"

She shook her head, and asked, insistently, "Are you okay, Edo?"

I looked into her green eyes. She was afraid for me. "I'm guessing that's a no, then," I surmised, unsurprised.

"You..." Azure thought aloud, her emerald eyes searching me for an answer. "I don't care what this means, or how we'll deal with this... I just need to know that it'll all be fine."

"...I promise," I lied, after a moment. "It'll all be fine." I knew full well I couldn't promise anything, but... maybe I could keep it after all. After all, I am a Rogue Trader, and I can do anything. Right?

Nodding, Azure cleared her throat. She then advised, "I'd... try not to do that any time soon, though. The Navigators seemed really annoyed. Like they were... hit with a stumm grenade."

A what? She shook her head. "A stun grenade," she said, more precisely. "Of a minor manufactory."

An off-brand stun grenade? Somehow, the thought makes me laugh. To answer her question more substantively, I rose to my feet, unsteady, and then said, "I... feel tired, like I've used something new, like..."

Azure shushed me with a hoof to the leg, and suggested, "Let's... just rally back, okay? You can tell me and the others all about it later."

I nodded, and we had a nice walk back.