• Published 16th Dec 2023
  • 750 Views, 52 Comments

A blaze rekindled - RedBlack



An alicorn, one whose life had been nothing but war and despair finally finds peace when a purple alicorn, one he had known to be dead appears for a short while, giving him much needed hope.

  • ...
3
 52
 750

A Simple Realization

*Calming Blaze POV*

Ugh.

As soon as I regain consciousness, I stand up before my eyes could even open, prompting me to almost fall down again.

Looking around, it seemed, normal.

Green grass.

Blue sky.

A gorge.

Right.

The girls did their thing.

I guess, I came here for no reason huh?

Shaking my head, I turn to check on my body.

"Good" I mutter.

The condition of my body was good, exceptional, even.

No pain.

No missing body parts.

No cutie mark.

...

I froze for a few seconds as I fully processed the information my eyes told me.

Turning my head back, I check my flank once again.

"It's gone"

It disappeared whenever I used overloading, but it always returned after.

Strangely enough, I don't feel much about it.

A little relieved, not angry, nor panic.

Just relieved.

"Strange" I mutter as I cast a simple disguise spell to make the appearance of having it, and look like a unicorn.

I wouldn't have it, just looked like I did.

Not entirely understanding the reason for my internal feelings, I decide to head down the gorge to see what happened.

Casting a teleport, I affirmed a feeling from earlier.

A normal teleport feels like your body is forcibly removed from the world, then brought back in your desired location.

But right then, it felt like I was gently carried.

The normal nauseating feeling was gone and I used less amounts of magic for it.

"It feels different" I say to myself as I appear from the ground and in front of a crystal tree.

The magic felt, easier.

It listened to me, but it was different than chaos magic.

Chaos magic listened to anypony, so that it could corrupt them, a guess.

But I'm pulling Equestrian magic, just magic itself.

It follows me, not from obedience, not from fear, but something else.

I could feel the very emotions of it.

As I looked around the area, my vision was filled with particles of magic as it all vibrated slightly.

Most flocked around the crystal tree, but also around me.

Looking at the way they acted, it felt, familiar.

Respect?

I silently approached the tree, but was blocked by the particles of magic.

As if reading my mind, the particles moved away, giving me a clear line of sight at the tree.

Six cutie marks made out of crystals stuck out in the branches with Twilight's one being in the middle.

Looking at its trunk, it had a sun and a moon engraved into it.

Then finally, slightly below the moon, was a fire.

Not a great fire, just a simple light.

A shape you would find on top of a campfire.

"Weird" I mutter as I finally decide to leave.


*No One POV*

As 3 of the 4 princesses of Equestria, one draconequus and one dragon approach a castle made of crystal and the six mares in front of it, something stops them.

In the ground, a circle of fire appeared, then very quickly rose to a small pillar before disappearing, leaving an alicorn in its place.

"Good afternoon ponies" he calmly said.

"Wow" Spike exclaimed while staring with awe.

"Good afternoon" Celestia said with a slightly stunned expression.

"When did you learn to do that?" Luna simply asked with an eyebrow raised.

"Does that hurt?" Cadence asked with a slightly worried expression.

"Oh, Blaze!" Discord nervously chuckled.

"I just learned it, pretty fun, and much easier than normal" he responded with a relaxed attitude.

Then he suddenly looked at Discord, who almost took a step back from guilt.

After a few intense seconds, the others were thinking of interrupting, until Blaze suddenly nodded.

"I used chaos magic, so I'll give you my respect for being able to stay, somewhat sane, while dealing with it" he said before grinning with a chuckle and walking towards the crystal castle.

Discord put his claws on his chest with a flattered expression before following with the others.

"So, are we going to question him about that?" Cadence asked the sisters.

"Nope" they answered together, already used to it.

"Ok then" she said with a blank face.


*Calming Blaze POV*

After a little reunion and questioning of my safety from the girls, we ventured into the castle.

As we walked, Celestia gave a little lecture to Twilight about her role as a princess.

Hmm.

Am I a prince?

Technically, no, since I'm not a real alicorn, but what purpose do I have in life?

I'm, kind of useless.

My knowledge doesn't really help anypony.

The strength I've built over the course of the year isn't nearly enough to stop the villains.

I don't know enough about magic to deal with spells.

I can't even come close to beating the other me.

I don't even have my special talent anymore.

"Blaze? Are you alright?" Lu asked, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, I'm good, why you ask?" I say calmly.

"Well, it's just that, your eyes looked, kind of hollow" she said with a concerned expression.

Did it?

"I'm fine, I'm just a bit tired is all"

She nods, but she doesn't take her eyes off me.

Looking around, the others seem to have not heard our little discussion.

Good.

I'd rather be useless than drag them down with my little problems.

As we walk further, I try not to think about, stuff, instead focusing on the castle itself.

There's so many rooms.

As we pass by doors upon doors, I notice that we've walked for quite a while with Celestia at the lead.

Hmm.

I open one of the doors slightly, getting a confused look from Lu as I give her a small grin.

After about 10 minutes, we pass by a door that is slightly open and the area looked pretty damn familiar.

She doesn't actually know the way.

With that little victory in my head, I started tuning out everything as I blindly followed the others.

What should I have for dinner today?

Maybe some type of soup?

But what kind?

I could try potato and leek.

What about mushrooms, or broccoli?

Should I have some noodles too?

Hmm.

Can't decide.

Or maybe I should eat out?

Maybe I should make pizza again.

It HAS been a while.

Waking me up, Lu stopped me with a hoof as the sound of impressed gasps ring out.

A big room with a huge door and a bunch of windows.

Six thrones, all adorned with the cutie marks of the girls, and a smaller throne next to Twilight's one.

Most likely for Spike.

The Elements of Harmony.

Is your magic that much more special than normal?

"Pretty good strategy room" I comment as the girls and Spike go to their seats. "A table, preferably with a map, would be perfect right here" I say as I point at the middle.

"The Crown can provide a suitable map should you need it" Lu commented from the side.

"Yeah, that would help a lot actually, I'll write a letter when we get a proper table set up" Twilight told Lu.

Anything after that, was kind of a blur as the girls sang a song about being together.

Frankly, it was quite nice.

As much as I felt like joining in, I held myself back to let the girls have their moment.


With a groan and a stretch, I walk into my room inside the castle.

The moon was high in the sky and Lu has started her job as the dream guardian.

Pinkie Pie threw a pretty big party, resulting in me eating way too much cake.

Curse my sweet tooth.

Finally dropping my disguise, I fully stretch my wings, earning a few popping sounds.

I look at my blank flank, not feeling particularly nervous about it.

Who would've thought that, losing your cutie mark didn't feel that bad.

Letting out a large yawn, I move towards the bed.

Why am I so tired lately?

The particles in the air slowly moved away from me as I lay in my bed.

The window curtain closed without me even using magic.

Closing my eyes, I went into deep slumber.


I open my eyes slowly as I look around the Everfree.

Right, I camped here.

I drop down from a makeshift hammock, landing on the blade like grass.

Not minding the tickling feeling, I nonchalantly move forward.

Passing through some bushes, I grab my bounty.

A rabbit with a sharp stick stuck in its neck.

Loading the trap again, I go back to my encampment.

Grabbing a piece of flint, I strike it with my steel cladded hoof, lighting the wood on fire.

Piercing the rabbit with a long stick, I put it on top of the fire.

I sit in front of the campfire and my soon to be breakfast.

*Clink*

A starving snake pounced at me.

Acting like I didn't notice it, I grab it after he hits my armor.

Stabbing its head with a knife, I pierce it with another stick and put it over the fire.

I calmly sit next to the fire as I slowly watch the oil from the meat drip into the fire.

The flames, its nice.

Fire gives warmth.

Fire lets me eat.

Fire calms me.

As my droopy eyes start to fall down, I can't help but notice a peculiar sight.

The snake, it's alive.

It suddenly looked at me.

I stare back, not really caring about whatever extraordinary phenomenon that's happening.

It suddenly lunges at me.

Feeling threatened, I try to block with my armor, but my body didn't listen.

Time seemed to slow down as I looked at the snake.

Isn't he, awfully familiar?

But where have I?

Ah.

It's Drega.

But, what's he doing here?

Oh, he must be angry at me.

I guess he's right, it was my fault, that he died.

Wasn't it?

The familiar feeling of darkness slowly grew on me as I watched the fangs close in on me.

I could dodge it.

I should, in fact.

"But, what's the point?" I ask myself as I just stare at the fangs.

Then, something interesting happens.

The snake goes through me as particles of fire fill the edge of my vision.

"So I'm not allowed to die?" I ask, slightly angry.

The flames on the campfire grew, swallowing the rabbit, the wood, and the surrounding grass as it approached me.

Not entirely caring, I watch as the fire grows further on my body.

The fire had heat, but not nearly enough to burn.

Interesting.

I chuckle, finding the fact that I find myself burning to be interesting.

I must have gone mad.

I sat down, the warm ground was comfortable.

As I burned, I watched the campfire.

Calming.

It was like it was consoling me.

As much as I wanted to push it away, tell it to stop bothering me, I couldn't.

Slowly, memories began surfacing as I kept watching the campfire.

Mostly bad ones.

Some of me and my soldiers drinking.

Those same men dying.

My enemies becoming paste as I smash them into the ground.

Those same enemies attacking me.

Blood flew.

Dust rose.

Creatures fell.

It was a gruesome sight.

Tears came out as I slowly watched every last being I knew dying.

Even seeing my enemies dying only gave me a sense of emptiness.

Lonely.

Is the word I would use to describe it.

Then came the strong feeling of something else.

Something suffocating.

Other memories were shown.

Memories of ponies, warriors or not.

They all worshipped me as I stood at the frontline of the massive army.

Every single creature of Equestria, gathered together to stop the villains.

And they were all counting on me to stop the bigger ones.

Different images of me killing gods themselves.

And those very gods killing those that worshipped me.

Guilt.

Suffocating, soul crushing guilt.

Then they went back in time.

I watched my life as a foal.

Placed in a camp, fillies and colts were training.

Under the gaze of the guides, we grew up to be soldiers.

Innocence was no longer a thing in Equestria as every creature was raised for war.

In battalions, friendships grew as we each went through life and death together.

Then those friendships collapsed as those needed for friendships died off.

Soon enough, overloading was taught to soldiers.

Most succeeded.

But partially.

Those who didn't, were never seen again.

Then, the moment I became fully detached.

A single vision stopped in front of me.

I sit there, shaking, as I held the ashes.

The very ground burned my body.

The fire scorched my skin.

But I didn't, couldn't move.

Screams of terror around me.

Then it switched.

Yet, the sight was the same.

I didn't want to watch this anymore.

I tried to look away, or close my eyes.

But I couldn't.

A part of my body told me, screamed at me to stop looking, telling me that it was alright to stop.

It told me that it was fine to let go.

But the other part, it asked me why I was fighting in the first place.

I tried to give the same answer I had given myself plenty of times before.

But it never left me.

It was wrong.

I tried searching, but I couldn't bring it out.

Then it told me, that I knew the answer.

The flames around me brightened.

The heat was increased, almost burning, but never hurting.

As the tears on my face shriveled up, evaporated, more memories surfaced.

The parties that were filled with cheers and laughter.

The gazes filled with care from the ponies I knew.

The friends I knew.

A family.

Of course, how could I forget those that remained.

That's the point.

"Those that have passed on, I will never forget, but I will fight for those that live, THAT'S WHY I CAME HERE, THAT'S WHY I HAVE STRUGGLED, THAT'S MY REASON FOR FIGHTING, FOR LIVING!" I scream at the top of my lungs, telling both myself, and the parts of myself that doubted me.

The fire agrees, gradually increasing in intensity as I stare at the memories fading back in.

Then it all moves, the flames gather on top of the campfire, burning with great intensity, yet I felt no fear from being so close.

The area around me was set ablaze, yet nothing burned, creating a truly magical scene.

The gathered fire opened up, revealing, me.

The true me.

The present me.

The me that is living right now.

He gives me a smile, a smile that said that I was right.

An assuring smile.

A calming smile.

He slowly lifted his right hoof and held it, offering it to me.

I slowly lift my right hoof, letting the fire that burned me, truly scorch away what remained.

The skin was turned to ash, floating away into the fire.

The mane grew out, cutting the red away to burn, replacing it with a righteous orange that burned with hope.

By the time I had lifted my hoof enough to accept it, I had become just like him.

I had become, just me.

Holding each other's hooves with a firm grip, we both gave a wide smile, knowing exactly what was going to happen.

As he fully turned to flames, the fire that invaded the area fully gathered.

The flames climbed to me, fully integrating itself with me.

I revel in the new feeling as it travels through my body, reaching the very depths and the very tips of my body.

I could feel it in my heart, as it all gathered inside.

With a burst of magic, the flames disperse, fully containing itself inside me.

Fully opening my eyes, I see the area around me.

My room.

With a stretch, I get up after hearing a few satisfying pops.

The window opens with a colorless magic, letting in both the fresh air of the morning and a nice ray of sunshine.

With a deep breath, I release it as I stare at the horizon.

The peaceful capital looked nice.

The market was bustling with merchants.

The restaurants were opening for business.

Should I cook some breakfast then?


As I stare at the table filled with food, I smile in satisfaction at my work

A nice brew of Darjeeling tea for Tia.

A cup of vanilla latte coffee, topped with chocolate sprinkles for Lu.

A peanut butter and banana smoothie for myself.

A fat stack of pancakes, topped off with delicious homemade whipped cream, beautifully decorated with delicious strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.

A plate of nine grilled cheeses, cooked to perfection, with such beautiful crispy toasts that it almost made me shed a tear.

Combining with the grilled cheeses, are soups of gourmet tomato soup, made with plenty of vegetables for a healthy meal such as potatoes and bell peppers, than basil and a hint of garlic for flavor.

"It's been a while" I say to nopony in particular as the pots and such floated over to the sink. "Thanks"

As I take off an apron, Tia comes inside the kitchen.

"Good morning Sunbutt" I greet with a smile, shocking her a bit.

She stares at me for a few seconds, then gives a relieved smile.

"I see you've made breakfast" she calmly said while keeping her smile as I heard her stomach growl at the sight of the food.

"I'll say, this is my best work yet"

"I can't say for sure, but I can say that this looks amazing" I can see her mouth and hooves twitching a slight bit as she takes a seat.

I take my own seat as the cup of tea goes to her before both of us can move it.

Her jaw drops a bit as she just stares blankly at the cup of tea.

Then slowly, very slowly, she turns to look at me.

She takes a deep breath, then slowly lets it out.

"Thank you" she said with a bright smile as she takes the cup in her magic and sipped it.

Looks like she's too tired to deal with any bullshit surrounding me.

As I take a small sip of the smoothie, Lu walks in the room with an exhausted expression.

"Good morning Lu" I greet her with a smile as she smiles at me after staring for a few seconds.

"Good morning to you too Blaze, I see you're feeling better" she says as she takes her seat on the table. "And good morning sister" she quickly added.

Celestia playfully rolled her eyes at that. "Good morning to you too Luna"

"What makes you say that?" I ask her as I move the bowls of soup towards each of us.

"Your smile, it seems, happier somehow" she said as she took a sip of the coffee, not noticing that none of us moved it.

"I guess it is" I reply with a small smile as I float over a grilled cheese and dip it in the soup.

As I was about to take a bite, I notice that Tia was staring at me in the corner of my eye.

"What is it?" I ask, turning to her, pancake floating in the air.

I notice that she was looking a bit lower than my eyesight, more specifically, at my flank.

Lu suddenly spits out coffee as she wildly turns to me.

"Blaze! Your cutie mark!" she yells, prompting me to look down.

Ah.

My mind goes blank as I look at the simple shaped fire on my flank.

How did I forget to check that?

Author's Note:

Phew, finally got it out.

Turns out, writing what one would feel when they lose everything they care for, and the trauma that could follow, is very hard when you don't know the feeling yourself.:raritydespair:

I had to take a bunch of breaks while writing because it even started to affect my mood a bit, making me more irritated at stuff.:flutterrage:

Well, atleast it's over right?:pinkiecrazy: