• Published 16th Dec 2023
  • 751 Views, 52 Comments

A blaze rekindled - RedBlack



An alicorn, one whose life had been nothing but war and despair finally finds peace when a purple alicorn, one he had known to be dead appears for a short while, giving him much needed hope.

  • ...
3
 52
 751

The Train Ride

*Calming Blaze POV*

I'm currently seated on a normal train going towards the north whilst answering random questions from Twilight.

I'm only ten minutes in but she's already asked me over fifty questions.

"How can one do that?" she mutters to herself while writing on a whiteboard she got from, well, somewhere I guess.

"So, how fast can you fly?" Rainbow Dash suddenly asked after getting in my face.

"I can't fly, magic rejects these wings" I say as stretch my wings a bit and furl them back in.

"Uh, what?" she just confusedly asks.

"Yeah, I'm with Dash on this one" Applejack said from her seat.

I look around to spot the girls, minus Twilight and plus one Spike looking at me with a confused gaze.

"Haven't you guys learned this in school?" I ask them.

"No, but did YOU learn this from school? Also your voice is really deep now" Pinkie said while bouncing around my vision.

"Well, no" I simply answer as I take one of the chalkboards Twilight had set up, earning the sound of a confused mare only seconds later.

"So, let's start our little lesson" I say as I draw a crude anatomy of a pony from above.

Adding in a bunch of lines to represent the veins, then finally, a heart, the family friendly one.

"First things first, what do we know about magic?"

"Ooh ooh, pick me, pick me" Pinkie said while bouncing in her seat.

"It was metaphorical" I blankly say as I continue the lesson. "Magic in its most basic form, is a type of energy, and that energy, flows through the bloodstream and nerve system of everypony, except a few. The reason why the veins is quite simple" I point my hoof at the crude heart. "All that magic energy, is collected inside the heart"

"So, what does this have to do with your wings?" Rarity asked curiously with a raised eyebrow.

"It's simple, magic, although classified as energy, is pretty much sentient. It's like a hivemind, always connected to each other, and its pretty much treated as one entity rather than separate ones"

"Again, what's that got to do with anything?" Rainbow asked impatiently.

"It rejects my wings" I state.

"But why?" Rainbow asked once again.

"Because, I got it through unconventional means" I reply as I remember some stuff I packed.

Taking my distraction as the end of the conversation, the girls get back to their stuff as Spike goes to try to calm down Twilight, who's almost broken down because she lost some things apparently.

Opening my suitcase, I check the Crystal Cube for any cracks or something, it hasn't emitted or sucked in any magic ever since The Crystal Empire is back.

Next, a bottle of bourbon Lu gave me before the train left, surprising the girls and Spike because she just gave a foal alcohol as a goodbye gift.

Then a bag of cookies and muffins which Lu also gave me, saying she was sorry for being absent during the invasion.

I don't know what she's talking about, but there were plenty enough talk about how 79 changeling corpses were outside her chambers to tell me that she did do something.

Well, she also mumbled something about it being a dream or something.

Eh, she still did something.

Putting a cookie in my mouth, mmhm chocolate, I bring out a few items.

Dragonfire flower, the stalk of a moondrop, a few shards of amethyst and a poison berry to mix it all together.

I'll need to use these for a proper barrier while resting.

The train ride should be fine though.

With a silent sigh, I pull out a neck pillow and put the rest of the items back in and under the seat.

Releasing a yawn, I close my eyes and feel sleep coming over me.


As I sit on a hilltop, I look across the horizon, seeing nothing but flames everywhere.

I feel a slight weight on my neck, prompting me to look down and spot a familiar necklace.

Or, an amulet, giving off a green glow.

Oh, this old thing.

Slowly turning my head, I gaze over the countless corpses of ponies, and only ponies.

Some wore armor, some wore leather and many, many had been scorched to death.

Gazing forwards once again, a mirror stands in front of me, showing the extremely tired alicorn.

With bags that looked darker than make up and eyes so lifeless you could believe that Chrysalis herself sucked his emotions dry.

"Blaze" a small voice called from behind.

I turn around fully, the immediately regret it as I stared at the scene.

"Blaze" the corpse whispered as she came closer and closer.

She lost more and more of her features as she walked.

First, the yellow coat slowly disappeared.

The smell of burning flesh came into my nose.

Second, her orange mane slowly burnt up.

The screams of panicked ponies came from somewhere.

"Blaze" she whispered once again as she was almost right in front of me.

Third, her orange eyes melted away.

My eyes became blurry as she fell but grabbed onto my hooves.

Fully shutting my eyes, I try to rub the tears away, but I found my hooves to be ridiculously heavy.

Looking down, I spot countless corpses, all whispering my name as they held onto my hooves.

"Blaze" they whispered as one.

"Blaze" I shut my eyes.

"Blaze" it's getting hard to breathe.

"Blaze" the world is shaking around.

"Blaze!" I open my eyes and breath heavily as I looked up to see the concerned eyes of the girls and Spike, whilst Twilight is holding me in her hooves.

"What?" I ask.

"You were crying" Twilight simply said as she signaled the others to give me space.

I put my right hoof to my eyes and feel the damp surface.

"Blaze, do you want to talk about it?"

"No, no I'm, fine, I'll be fine" I say as I look out the window.

The ridiculous snow storm of the frozen north.

"I'm fine"

Author's Note:

Originally, I wasn't going to write this chapter and just have Blaze complain about not having a good sleep on the train ride, but I thought that this would be more enjoyable.