• Published 19th Nov 2023
  • 289 Views, 0 Comments

Brotherly Troubles - KaylaBlues



Thorax runs away. Pharynx experiences a mental breakdown.

  • ...
 0
 289

The ghosted wounds

"What are you really planning?"

Queen Chrysalis was not expecting an eavesdropper, she turned and saw a curious Pharynx standing by the entrance covered in leaves. Her reaction was replaced with a disgusted frown. She didn't move towards him or flinch in surprise. Ever since Axery died because of Pharynx, she couldn't bring herself together as she should have done. It's like Pharynx is feeding on love as well as sharing them. "Planning? I didn't plan anything." She said, trying to brush away her questionable thoughts. "Where did you even get that assumption from?"

Pharynx smirked. "There's no point in pretending. Thorax filled me in about your 'revenge' against the ponies." Pharynx replied sternly. His expression dropped. "You would have told me about it..."

"I would have," the queen told him, still hesitant to look at him. "If you were still leader of patrol. Although, even if you still are, I doubt that I can still trust you." She then thought of something. "Thorax, He...told you about this?"

Pharynx looked at Chrysalis with a straight face. "I guess he was eavesdropping... Quite a brave move, though I wouldn't advise him to do that."

Queen Chrysalis let out a "Hmph!". "He'd better not. Speaking of which, where is Thorax right now?" She asked, finally turning to him.

Pharynx expression was focused. "Don't. Change the subject. What's the plan?"

Queen Chrysalis gave Pharynx a sudden glare. "I don't take orders from arrogant narcissistic grubs!"

Pharynx slightly rolled his eyes at Chrysalis in annoyance. "Fine. Have it your way." He pointed his hoof outside the hive. "He's somewhere there. Probably with the ponies. Probably warning them about your plan."

Queen Chrysalis was taken aback. She quickly cooled down. "Well, he's gonna regret that decision for the rest of his life. He'll see what's coming for the ponies."

"And that is?" Pharynx asked. "It's not we're gonna barge into another wedding. We've seen how powerful they are together. We have to keep them apart."

"Keeping them apart is not necessary, it's us who have to be apart. Thers are quite a lot of powerful ponies all around Equestria. Mostly being the royals. We have to capture them, but quickly."

"So that we can get it done faster and take control of Equestria." Pharynx finished.

"Yes, but we also need a few changelings guarding the hive." Chrysalis also said. "I planned to put Axery in that position but..." Her voice faded away, staring coldly at Pharynx. "You know what happened."

"Right..." Pharynx said as he leaned towards the wall. "Since when do you care about our safety and well-being? You can put Rythe in that position too, or better, me."

"Yes yes, but I think you're better outside." Chrysalis suggested.

"Yeah. You and I both know that I'm the best."

Queen Chrysalis nodded her head in agreement.

Now's your chance. Pharynx thought to himself. He silently took a deep breath. "And I should be head of patrol again. I'm the best fit there is."

Queen Chrysalis stared at Pharynx. "I beg your pardon?"

"I'd argue that the hive would be unstable without an actual head of patrol. Almost every changeling here are total cowards!" Pharynx exclaimed.

"Almost? Does that include Thorax?" Queen Chrysalis asked wisely. Maybe it was wrong to threaten the changeling after all, but it probably helped him reflect and toughen up. She waited for the changeling to answer.

Pharynx was aware that he was being tested again. If he chooses Thorax again, what Chrysalis would do to him might be worse than the last. Yet, if he chooses the hive, he'll be betraying his brother. He took a long time to consider. He then took a deep breath.

"If I'm being honest, then... Yeah. That includes Thorax." He then closed his eyes and said. "I should've known he wasn't really fit to be at the hive anyways..."

Queen Chrysalis thought about it and finally said it. "Fine. You may be head of patrol again." She then threw a glare at him. "But that doesn't mean we're good. I'll still be keeping an eye on you."

Pharynx raised an eyebrow. You and me won't ever be good, and are you sure that last part's true? He thought curiously, unsure if he even wanted an awswer or not.

Pharynx decided to ask one last question. "So, when do we attack?"

Queen Chrysalis swiftly smiled and chuckled softly. "We attack as soon as possible. The best time is tonight."

"Then I guess I shall start preparing our soldiers." Pharynx said. Queen Chrysalis nodded in approval as he lew off, leaving Queen Chrysalis all by herself. She turned and grinned evilly. Just you wait Thorax, you'll see just what happens to you after we succed in taking over Equestria...

••••••

Shining Armor and Princess Cadence exchanged worried looks. Princess Cadence looked at Flurry Heart then at Thorax. "Are you sure that's really what Chrysalis said?"

"Absolutely!" Thorax exclaimed. "And she might be more powerful this time! She might even successfully take over Equestria!" Thorax said in a worrying tone.

Shining Armor stood up and said sternly. "Well, the best we can do is prepare for whatever that might come." He then looked at Flurry Heart who still has no idea what's going on. "We also have to take extra care of Flurry."

Thorax nodded. "I'm sure you guys would defeat Chrysalis."

"We shouldn't have our hopes high just yet. Chrysalis may choose whenever to attack. I'll have our guards notified." Shining said. Cadence smiled and nodded. Shining Armor ran outside in a flash.

She looked back at Thorax and told him, "You can stay at the Crystal Empire in the meantime. You have prooved you're trustworthy." Her voice then softened. "Unless you wanna go back to the hive..."

Thorax then interrupted immediately. "Oh, no! I'd rather stay here instead."

"But don't you want to go back to your family?" Cadence asked the changeling.

"Family? I... Don't really have any real family anymore..." Thorax said dutifully. "The only family I have now is probably also thinking of cutting ties with me." Maybe he already made the decision...

Cadence sighed. "Very well. Sorry for asking. We're glad to have you here."

"Uh-huh." Thorax slowly flew outside of the throne room. He then looked at the hive which looked nearly impossible to see from afar. Well, Pharynx, I've made my decision. I'm sorry I let you down but this is what's best for the both of us. You don't believe it but it really does.

••••••

Pharynx, along with Queen Chrysalis told every changeling about the plan. Rythe eventually ended up being the one guarding the hive along with some others. Once they were done, every changeling got back to their own business. Pharynx silently flew outside, looking at the sky.

I have no choice, Thorax. This is the only way I can get my happiness back. You would want that too, don't you...? I would want you back too, but since you're 'better' off with the ponies. I will not come back for you, ever. If you're choosing ponies over your own kind, I should consider choosing the hive over you fine as well. If this is how it's going to be, then let it be. Let's be enemies from now on. Have fun with your 'pony' friends... Thorax.

Author's Note:

Quite a weird ending. Yet so satisfying to write...

I still have one more chapter in mind. It will be more focused on Pharynx's side of the story in To where and back again. His thoughts, his feelings and choices. Probably an unnecessary thing but eh, why not? Read it if you want. After that, I would probably focus on the things I want to make on my channel, if I ever plan on writing again, it will be a small one or a long one on hiatus.