• Published 9th Nov 2023
  • 1,473 Views, 97 Comments

Well, This Is Unexpected - TheKing2001



After being defeated at the Fall Formal, Sunset is one hundred percent convinced she's going to be the most hated girl at school. If only she knew how wrong she was.

  • ...
6
 97
 1,473

Chapter IX (Bon Bon)

“I can’t believe Lyra actually went and did it,” Octavia mused as she brushed her hair with a brush she always carried in her back.

“Scratch that,” I corrected. “I can’t believe Sunset did that.”

“Okay that too,” Octavia conceded after a moment. We both looked over to the fiery haired girl sitting with her friends or well, people who I assumed was friends. She was almost always with them. “You’re staring love.”

“I-I am not!” I shot back with a blush. “I was not staring!”

You most definitely were. Vinyl wrote on a piece of paper and slid it to me as Octavia giggled.

“It’s funny, really. You should go talk to Sunset,” Octavia suggested as I looked over at Lyra and Derpy talking at a table on the opposite side of the library. It seemed to be going fairly well. “You were also drooling.”

“Was I really?” I asked nervously. I hope to God I wasn’t.

“No,” Octavia admitted with a mischievous smile. “But it was funny seeing you freak out.”

“Why do I even hang out with you girls?” I grumbled as I blushed.

Probably because we are your only friends because you are shy as hell? Vinyl wrote on a different piece of paper and held it up for us to see.

“Vinyl Scratch!” Octavia snapped as she yanked the paper away. “That was completely unnecessary! While unnecessary, she unfortunately has a point. You are shy.”

“So are you! Do you think she knows it was me who threw that paper at her in the lunchroom and broke into her locker to put the chocolates I made in there?” I asked nervously as I looked back at Rainbow and the others.

If anyone would be my competition, I would bet money on Rainbow. She always gets whatever she wants when it comes to the dating area.

“Let’s be real, if Sunset knew it was you, she would have mentioned to you. Surprised she hasn’t put it together with the whole Starburst thing.”

She had a point there I suppose. If she knew, she would have said something. Or maybe she was afraid. Hell, I was afraid.

“You didn’t have to call Sunset out on interrupting you. She didn’t know you were talking, Octi.”

I tossed Octavia a glare as the girl winced and blushed.

“Maybe I was a bit overzealous in my reaction.”

“A bit?”

It’s her time of the month. Vinyl wrote as Octavia blushed even harder and yanked the paper away. I snickered as Octavia glared at us both.

“Do not broadcast that V. That is private information!”

We both looked at each other and laughed.

“Shit!” I swore under my breath as the bell rang. “Gotta get to Crankys class. Got a history presentation.”

“Good luck love!” Octavia called out as Vinyl gave me a thumbs up.

“Thanks!”


“Alright Bon Bon, you’re up,” Mr. Cranky called as I stood up and walked to the front. I dumped my bag of items onto the table, including a pair of glasses.

“Alright. So, for my family genealogy report, I decided to do it on my great-great-grandfather, who was a famous man, Captain Flawless Victory, Very famous explorer. In fact, he was one of the first to explore the Arctic Circle, which is a big deal. In 1897, he took forty one brave sailors straight into the Arctic Shelf.”

I glanced over at my paper I had typed up before inhaling. I hated speaking in class like this. So much could go wrong.

“So that’s the story, right? And here we have some of the basic instruments and tools used by nineteenth century seamen,” I said as the other students burst out laughing and I rolled my eyes. Lyra gave me a thumbs up from the back as Sunset and Rainbow were talking quietly in the back. “This here is the quadrant, which you can get for eighty bucks. It’s all for sale, by the way. Like the, uh, the sextant here.”

Everyone started laughing again as Mr. Cranky held up a stop sign. Why he had one or how he had one is a mystery.

“Fifty dollars for this, which is a bargain. These are pretty cool. These are my grandfather’s glasses. I haven’t quite gotten them appraised yet, but they’ve seen many cool things,” I said as I held them up. I typically wouldn’t sell my stuff in class but well, I needed the money so.

“Please move on Bon Bon.”

“Sorry. Um, unfortunately, my great-great-grandfather, the genius that he was, wound up going blind and crazy in a psycho ward, drawing these strange symbols and babbling on about some, uh, giant ice man that he thought he’d discovered,” I said as the bell rang. I sighed as I watched the others leave. Lyra waved as she ran to catch up with Vinyl. “So?”

“Okay. Might be a pop quiz tomorrow. Might not. Sleep in fear tonight!” Mr. Cranky called out to the other classmates and I waited at his desk.

“Pretty good right?” I asked eagerly as he sat down next to me.

“Uh I’d say a solid B minus.”

“Just a B minus? Seriously? I worked my ass off on that!” I snapped as he rolled his eyes.

“You talked for like eight minutes Bon Bon. You were supposed to bring pictures as well like the others did, not just artifacts.”

“I’m not all that fond of getting in front of the class. So what if I missed my pictures? The rest was good!”

“I agree.”

Cranky and I finished our impromptu staring match as we both flinched, looking at the door. A sheepish looking Sunset was standing the door way.

“I uh forgot my backpack and over heard. I didn’t mean to eavesdrop,” Sunset said as she stepped further into the classroom. “But I think Bon Bon did well.”

“Thank you!” I exclaimed and turned around so my blush wasn’t visible. “See, even she agrees!”

Cranky and I continued staring as I leaned forward a bit and he sighed.

“Fine. This is a one time thing only! I can’t just give out As like they are nothing.” Cranky wrote on my paper and pushed to me as I grinned.

“Thank you!” I exclaimed as I shoved the paper in my backpack I had sitting upfront. This was probably the only time I’ve ever been allowed to bring it. I spun around to face Sunset. “And thank you-”

I stared at the empty space and looked around. Cranky pointed out the hallway as I ran with my backpack clenched in my hand.

“Hey wait!” I called out as Sunset paused.

“What’s up?” Sunset asked as she turned around.

“Thanks for that back there. Wanna hang out sometime with me and Tavi?” I offered as she raised an eyebrow. “V could always come with too.”

“Why?”

I flinched at her response a bit. I had expected something a bit warmer but then again, she did just get shot with a rainbow only two weeks ago.

“Well you wanna be taught about friendship right?” I asked with a smile. Internally, I did feel a bit bad taking advantage of what we were supposed to teaching her for my own gain but well, do what ya gotta do. I’m not entirely a good person myself. “And considering the four of us agreed to help you, it means now is a prime time for you to spend some quality time with us.”

“You raise a fair point,” Sunset admitted as I gave her my phone. I watched her put her number in as she handed me my phone back.

“I’ll text you whenever we meet alright?”

“Okay I guess. See ya around.”

I watched her leave as I grinned. I was so going to tell Octavia about this.

Author's Note:

I think I am the first person in history and on this site to ship Sunset and Bon Bon. Behold, SunBon!