• Published 9th Nov 2023
  • 1,473 Views, 97 Comments

Well, This Is Unexpected - TheKing2001



After being defeated at the Fall Formal, Sunset is one hundred percent convinced she's going to be the most hated girl at school. If only she knew how wrong she was.

  • ...
6
 97
 1,473

Chapter VII

I covered a yawn as I stepped off my moped outside of my job. Just because I had technically a decent amount of money doesn’t mean I can’t work. Plus, I needed something to do when I first got here.

Working on cars also made it quite easy learning about they worked. I had been stunned when I first got here and saw metal carriages moving like that.

“Hey Sunset,” my boss, Lightning Dust waved as I took my helmet off. “You look different.” She was leaning against the wall with a cigarette sticking out of her mouth.

“In a good way I hope,” I joked ad she chuckled. I fist bumped her as she tossed her cigarette onto the sidewalk and stomped on it.

“Well duh. We got a surprise for you today,” Lightning smirked as I followed her inside the shop and she gestured to the sitting car and my jaw dropped.

“No fucking way. A Porsche 911 GT3 RS,” I said in awe as I approached the silver car. “God damn. How did you even get someone to bring this here?”

Lightnings mechanic shop was a smaller business. Definitely not as well known as the others. The most I work on is Mustangs and Cameros, not freaking Porsches.

“What can I say?” Lightning said smugly as she shrugged. “I know people. We have a good rep here, partially thanks to you. You work hard.”

“Thanks,” I said and blushed slightly as I allowed a hand to trail on the exterior of the car. “So what’s wrong with it?”

“Engine and exhaust. It’s probably gonna need to be swapped out. They want the same engine put in so we got one on order in a few days,” Lightning explained as she strode over to the radio we had set up and she turned it on.

”Above the rest, accept no less. Go ahead, check the game, be my guest. Somethin’ brand new and heavy to get off my chest. Win time after time til there ain’t none left. Hardhat, punch the clock, back to work. I’m bigger, stronger, faster, built to hurt. Everybody and anybody who come to my party. Like they ready to get rowdy and touch somebody.”

I scoffed and rolled my eyes as Lightning bobbed her head subtly.

“Are you seriously still going through your gangster rap phase?” I asked incredulously as she pushed a toolbox over to me.

“It ain’t a phase Sunset. Now come on, let’s get to work before Oil Pan gets back. I have a bet with him we can get more done before he does.”


I gave a frustrated sigh as I knelt down in front of a motorcycle out back. Lightning had told me if I got the bike started, I could keep it.

A cigarette hung out of my mouth as I unscrewed the cover of the engine as footsteps behind me approached.

“I can’t believe you’re actually trying still,” Lightning commented as I blew some smoke out of my mouth. “This thing hasn’t ran in years.”

“I’m a determined individual.”

“When did you even start smoking? This is the fourth time today I’ve seen you with a cigarette?” Lightning asked as she lit up her own cigarette.

“I’ve always smoked. Running a high school and being a queen bee is stressful business. Helped me focus a bit.”

“Fair enough. I’d offer to help you with the bike but I got a date tonight. Aiming to get laid in fact,” Lightning boasted as I snorted.

“With what? All you going is your tits, you got no ass. You’re flat as a board back there.”

Lightning shot me a mock wounded look as she placed a hand on her quest.

“Why Sunset you wound me. Blunt as always my friend,” Lightning said and shook her head with a large grin as my head snapped up and I stared at her.

“Wait, we’re friends?”

“You know, you claim to be the smartest girl you know but you’re surprisingly dense when it comes to picking up on social cues,” Lightning said as she gave me a flat look. “Do you seriously think I would give away a motorcycle for free to just anyone who had a interest in it?”

“Uh hell no?” I offered as she snorted before asking her head again.

“Think along the lines of fuck no.”

I gave a low chuckle as I continued taking the bike apart. That made a bit of sense. I had known Lightning ever since I first came here. She had given me a place to stay on her couch until I got my own apartment.

“Fair,” I admitted as I wiped my hands on my jeans. The two of us were covered in oil and had messy hair with oil in it from the previous car. My shift had ended a few hours ago but I chose to stay behind and work out the bike like I always did. “That does make sense. I’ve scarily made a lot of friends recently.”

“Scary indeed. Stuff that would be in a horror movie.”

I rolled my eyes at her sarcastic comment and set my wrench down. She was probably the most sarcastic woman I’ve ever met and she’s only ten years older than me.

“Shush, you’re thirty two,” I shot back as Lightning chuckled again.

“I may be but I can do things you can’t,” Lightning retorted as she stood up.

“Like what old timer?”

“Old timer? That’s something you’ll never be one of these days but I buy alcohol. Go into the bars. The like.”

Oh if only she knew I could get alcohol and go into bars on my own. Benefits of being a scheming, blackmailer. I could convince anyone to let me into anywhere I wanted. Plus, being an adult helped. I just showed them a fake ID and boom.

I should probably get a real one sooner or later. I can easily see myself getting jammed up one of these days. My luck can’t keep going on forever.

“I’d love to stay and talk but I gotta get ready. See ya around Sunset,” Sunset said as she stood up. She tossed me a key which I caught. “Just lock up after you leave please.”

“See you boss. Have fun, have a good date,” I said sincerely as she waved before walking to her truck. I legitimately hoped it went well for her. I turned back to the motorcycle. “And now, to figure out why you won’t start.”

With only a few light bulbs my source of light, I went back to work.