• Published 9th Nov 2023
  • 1,473 Views, 97 Comments

Well, This Is Unexpected - TheKing2001



After being defeated at the Fall Formal, Sunset is one hundred percent convinced she's going to be the most hated girl at school. If only she knew how wrong she was.

  • ...
6
 97
 1,473

Chapter V

“So what are you doing after school?” Pinkie asked as she grabbed my shoulders.

“Could you uh please let me go?”

Pinkie surprisingly stepped back as I gave her a grateful nod.

“I don’t know yet. Probably homework and sleep, why?” I asked as I opened my locker. A white box sat on the top shelf and I raised an eyebrow slightly.

“We’re all going to Sugarcube Corner after school for milkshakes. Wanna come?” Applejack asked eagerly as I picked up the box.

“I don’t know,” I admitted as I opened the box. Two rows of chocolates were inside the box as I read a note taped inside.

These are for you. Handmade of course. I saw how nervous you were about the other candy I gave you today. It’s not poisoned or anything, don’t worry. SD

“Wow. Someone is going to a lot of effort for you. Someone is a smitten kitten,” Rarity teased as she leaned over my shoulder. “Who is SD?”

“No clue. It’s a girl though,” I said as I put one of the chocolates in my mouth and gave an experimental chew. It was a surprisingly good peppermint and caramel mix. “Wow, that’s some good chocolate.”

“How do you know it’s a female?” Rainbow asked curiously as she leaned against a locker with her arms folded across her chest.

“Females tend to write more rounded, curved letters. Men don’t. See how the W is written along with how the Ts have more little curves at the bottom?” I pointed to the letters as they crowded around me.

“Well, ah’ll be damned. She’s right,” Applejack said as she read over my shoulder.

“Mhm,” I said and looked around. There was nobody nearby who could have put this in my locker. I presume they did so when I was in class. “Who here has initials with SD?”

“No one,” Fluttershy shook her head. “I’ve never heard anyone with those before.”

“Anyway, are you coming with us or not?” Rainbow asked impatiently as she tapped a foot. I finished chewing another chocolate and put the box in my backpack.

“Yeah I guess.”


I stepped into Sugarcube Corner and looked around curiously. I’ve only ever been in here once and that had been when I first got here almost five years ago.

“I’m so getting the cotton candy shake. Or the oreos. Or the peanut butter!” Pinkie exclaimed before gasping. “Or all three combined!”

I watched her bounce away to the counter as Rainbow sighed.

“How does that girl not have diabetes yet?” I asked as Applejack laughed.

“Trust me, we’ve asked ourselves that many times since we’ve met her. She’s a unique case.”

“Got that right,” Rainbow muttered as she pushed me into a booth at a nearby table. “You stay here Sunset. We will order for you.”

“I can do it myself,” I snapped. I’m not a little freaking kid. I’m a grown up who can order for her self.

“Trust her,” Rarity said with a smug grin. “Let us darling. And if you don’t like what we order for you, you can go pick out whatever you want and I’ll pay.”

I sat there for a moment before nodding. Satisfied, Rainbow and the others walked away as I pulled out my phone.

Might as well watch YouTube while I wait. I clicked on a random gaming video and propped my head up with a hand.

A large glass that had blue in it was placed in front of me as the others returned.

“Uh what is this?” I asked curiously and pulled it closer to me.

“It’s a milkshake duh,” Rainbow scoffed and stuck her straw in her mouth.

“I know what a milk shake is. I meant like the flavor ya know?”

“Oh. It’s cotton candy, it’s Pinkies and Fluttershys favorite.”

I hesitantly took a sip and stared at it with wide eyes.

“Damn,” I said and took another eager sip. “Not bad.”

“Told you so,” Rainbow said as she shot Applejack a smug grin. “And I told you she would like it. Pay up.”

Applejack sighed and slapped ten dollars into Rainbows waiting hand as the rainbow haired girl pumped her fist eagerly.

“Those two are always competing over something silly,” Rarity whispered as she waved a hand in the air. “We’ve gotten used to it.”

Pinkies phone started vibrating on the table as a pop song I assume started playing and she quit drinking her one of four shakes she had brought.

“Is your ring tone really Jellyfish Jam?” Rainbow asked incredulously as she stared at the girl.

“Mhm!” Pinkie shouted as she bobbed her head enthusiastically.

“Jellyfish Jam?” I asked in confusion.

“Yeah ya know, from SpongeBob? The episode where he had a dance party with a bunch of Jellyfish and they were all vibing and shit,” Rainbow explained as I gave a shrug. “Good lord girl, we really have gotta catch you up on cartoons.”

“I’ve seen SpongeBob,” I said and rolled my eyes. “I’ve been in this world for five years, just not that particular episode.”

They all looked at each other curiously before looking back at me.

“What do ya mean?” Applejack asked curiously as she licked her straw clean.

“You seriously think I’m from here?” I asked incredulously as they all nodded slowly. Internally, it made happy they considered me not entirely different from them. “I’m from the same world as the Princess.”

“And the portal is closed for another thirty moons,” Rarity said slowly as I nodded. “Which means-”

“I won’t be able to go back home. Not for another two and a half years, at least.”

They all gave me stunned looks as Pinkie’s hair lost it’s color a bit as Rainbow looked down.

“I’m sorry,” Fluttershy muttered as she patted my shoulder. “That must be awful.”

“You have no idea. I miss my tail and it’s abilities. It can be used to pick things up and stuff. I miss my magic.”

“You have magic?” Applejack asked as she played with her hat.

“Not here. Not anymore. Back home, yeah I did,” I admitted as I stirred my shake half-heartedly. “Can we change the topic? I don’t wanna talk about home, I’m sad about it enough as is.”

“Yeah of course,” Fluttershy said hastily as she forced a smile my way.

We returned to our shakes but it felt different than it did before.