• Published 22nd Oct 2023
  • 430 Views, 43 Comments

The Gilderoy Expedition - PaulAsaran



When a griffon expedition goes missing in the Frozen North, the Crystal Empire answers the call. But as the crew of the Aurora Dawn will soon learn, there are things in the ice no mortal creature should uncover.

  • ...
1
 43
 430

PreviousChapters Next
Margrave Gilderoy, Date Unknown, w/Notes II

From the private logbook of Lord Margrave Gilderoy of Fletcherstown.

The ingredients for the recipe were difficult to find, especially considering some of them are extinct! I was able to find what I believe are reasonable modern substitutions, some artificially made. Bless you, Gertrude, for still having my back after all these years! I’d have brought you along had I thought your alchemy was necessary for the completion of this trip. Or you didn’t absolutely hate the cold.

Difficult as finding the ingredients was, making the stuff is simple even for a clumsy buffoon such as myself. Eastern Leaves made it easy to heat the stuff up properly; that kirin has been a huge help for this expedition, I honestly don’t know how we would have made it this far without her. Sweetooth and his fellow dogs did a commendable job setting up the pouring apparatus too, they’ve really pulled their weight. Literally!

I’ve had them set it up in the middle of his iris, just as the tablets told me.

His? Hers? Its?

Whatever they took the formation below to be, I can’t help feeling like it is staring at me. At all of us. Which is kind of funny, in a creepy sense. I mean, it’s the Matti Ths Aioniotitas, and we’re standing over what some ancient creatures referred to as its ‘iris’. How could it not be looking at us? It still feels strange. In a silly, perhaps childish manner.

The diamond dogs, they don’t like this place. No, not just ‘don’t like’, they hate it. Sweetooth tells me they can hear something with their overly sensitive ears, something like a whispering whistle that grates on their nerves. He asked, very politely, if they might form a separate camp elsewhere, just far enough away that they won’t have to listen to the noise. I agreed. They have been reasonable and beyond useful, and it’s not like they’ll be completely out of reach should we need them.

The brew needs a few hours to thicken. We’ll wait to try it out until morning. I’m so excited, I’m not sure I’ll get any sleep!

Cptn. Decadent Dawn, Notes:

The diamond dogs had a separate camp? The pegasi never reported such a thing. I doubt them not in the slightest. They are the sharp-eyed masters of the air, and the ice sheet is not by any means covered in obstacles to simple sight, not even snow. If no report of a second camp was offered, then I have every reason to trust that one was never found. Unless, maybe, the dogs set their camp a truly significant distance from the main one. Or perhaps they abandoned the expedition altogether?

I curse Lord Gilderoy’s method of writing. I should like to derisively cast it aside as a victim of modern literature, for it is so unpleasantly simplistic. But I have read some of the modern scientific readings – one must keep up with the changes of history, especially if himself might be deemed a relic! – and know that more intellectual sorts do have at least some sense of proper literary capabilities. I can only assume Lord Gilderoy’s pedestrian style is indicative of his value as a member of the scientific community. No wonder this so-called Mystery Tonic University held him in such ill regard!

I would very much like to know the true details of Lord Gilderoy’s experiment, assuming ‘experiment’ would be the appropriate terminology. Alas, the beaked, self-styled buffoon adamantly refuses to explain such pertinent details. How am I meant to determine exactly what he was out to do if he cannot be bothered to keep such important records?

PreviousChapters Next