• Published 22nd Oct 2023
  • 428 Views, 43 Comments

The Gilderoy Expedition - PaulAsaran



When a griffon expedition goes missing in the Frozen North, the Crystal Empire answers the call. But as the crew of the Aurora Dawn will soon learn, there are things in the ice no mortal creature should uncover.

  • ...
1
 43
 428

PreviousChapters Next
Cptn. D. Design, 01-24-1005, III

From the private logbook of Decadent Design, Captain HRH Aurora Dawn.

With all the usual affairs of the ship completed for the evening, I have at last had a chance to sit down and read through some more of those papers we gathered from the camp. It had been my hope to read more of Gilderoy’s letters, but this proved impossible. Or rather, utterly pointless. All the remaining pages, of which there are not many, are filled with an unintelligible gibberish, scratched out seemingly at random across the pages as if the griffon had lost all sense of reason or intellect.

That is not to say there were no words. There were many, but none of them come together to make anything resembling a rational thought. Many of the scribbles, while clearly still characters of text, are in mysterious symbols and iconographies. I thought them merely random marks on the page at first, but after some study I realized that the seemingly nonsensical things were repeating in various places. That is when I realized that they were characters in an alien alphabet, or at least alien to my limited comprehension of alphabets. There is some Equish in there now and again, and the three-pointed markings typical of griffon text, but I cannot hope to comprehend any of it.

There is but one line that, with some effort and a bit of angling the page, recurs more frequently than all the others: “mwnglui ot shogg”. Whatever the blazes that is supposed to mean. If there was ever any doubt that Lord Gilderoy was driven mad in his pursuits, let them rest here, with these pages.

It is supremely fortunate that his second in command, the kirin Eastern Leaves, has notes of her own. I shall investigate them for my much-desired answers. May they distract me from the ogling "below", the itching, and the ever, ever eternal ringing.

PreviousChapters Next