• Published 4th Oct 2023
  • 634 Views, 58 Comments

Why Do I Feel This Way - TheKing2001



When visiting an orphanage in Canterlot with friends, Moondancer realizes she actually cares about one of the fillies and hits the books to investigate.

  • ...
0
 58
 634

Chapter IV


Moondancer


I gave a grunt as I shoved the final fence post into the ground, levitating the cement over and pouring it in with a sigh. It had cost a crazy amount of bits but I got the entire fence removed and the new one put in, and a bunch of other home supplies in the garage in the back. I made a mental note to buy a new garage too. I’ve made a lot of mental notes recently, it was getting hard to keep track of them all.

I set the cement bucket down on the ground and levitated the final board to connect the post to the others along with a hammer, starting to hammer.

I bobbed my head to the soft rock music I had coming from the record player I had set up by the house. Little known fact about me was I secretly enjoyed soft rock and hard rock.

“Hey Moonie!” I jumped slightly and slammed the hammer into my hoof. I turned my head back and glared at Twinkleshine with Lemon Hearts.

“Ow buck!” I cursed as the two flinched and I stared at my hoof.

“Sorry we didn’t mean to hurt you,” Lemon Hearts said apologetically as she and Twinkleshine examined my hoof.

“It’s fine,” I sighed as the pain started to fade. I could faintly feel it still as I pressed it down gently on the ground.

“Fixing up your place a bit?” Twinkleshine asked curiously. “Looks good. Why didn’t you get a professional pony to do it?”

“Don’t have the bits to hire anypony. Spent a lot on the supplies.”

“Supplies?”

“There’s more around back.”

The two gave each other confused looks before looking back at me. Lemon Hearts examined the fence as she levitated the hammer over and gave it a hard slam.

“Tada!” She exclaimed proudly as I gave the fence a gentle push. It didn’t move at all. “My dad is a handy pony. Taught me a lot.”

“How much did you spend anyway?” Twinkleshine asked curiously as I looked away. I named a number and the two gave me stunned expressions. “Seriously? Moondancer, my dad is a lumber pony. He could have gotten you all this for so much cheaper. It’s decent quality but you overpaid like crazy!”

“And my dad could have helped. He doesn’t charge that much. Or we could have helped you,” Lemon Hearts said as she placed a hoof on my shoulder. “Why didn’t you? You know we would help in a heart beat.”

“Well you know I’ve always been independent and such. Plus you guys have your own lives. I can’t expect you drop that to come help me with something like this,” I explained as I gave the empty cement bucket a gentle kick.

“Are you serious?” Lemon Hearts said flatly. “We have our lives sure, but we also have days off. We could have helped you out. What else you got planned?”

I looked at them nervously and scuffed my hoof on the ground.

“Painting the outside of the house. It’s uhm falling apart. Maybe fixing it up better?” I said weakly as Lemon Hearts squeezed my shoulder with her hoof.

“Then we will help you out. All you have to do is ask. We will come over this Saturday. All of us. And don’t you dare try starting early before we get here, got it?” Lemon Hearts said sternly as I weakly nodded. “We’re going back to the orphanage again next week or so. It’s been a week since we last went. Wanna come?”

“Yeah!” I said and gave an enthusiastic nod. I turned faintly red as the two chuckled. “Uhm sure. Why are you girls so adamant on helping me with everything?”

“Why not? We’re your friends. It’s what they do for each other,” Twinkleshine chuckled as she stared at my house. “Wanna come to my house? Minuette and Lemon Hearts are coming. Sleepover.”

“Sure I guess. Let me get my things,” I said and made a move to the door.

“Don’t worry about it. You can borrow my blankets and such,” Twinkleshine giggled as she waved a hoof.

“But I need something inside,” I said desperately and darted inside, searching around worriedly. My eyes fell on the two books I wanted on the floor and grinned. “There it is!”

I quickly darted back outside and shut my door gently. Didn’t want to break it anymore than Twilight accidentally did. Lemon Hearts gave me a confused book as she stared at the book.

“What’s with the book?” Twinkleshine asked curiously as we started our trot to her house. She lived on the other side of Canterlot so hopefully the way was clear of ponies.

“Nothing.”

“Come on,” Lemon Hearts whined as she took the book in her magic despite my protesting. “How to understand my friends and how to be a good friend. What the hay Moondancer? You don’t need this.”

“Yes I do. I don’t understand you all that well or well anything about friendship so a book helps. I may have one on sleepovers too,” I said sheepishly as the two burst out laughing.

“You’re just like Twilight!” Twinkleshine giggled as she took the other book in her magic. “I love you both but you can be very silly. What’s this one? Moondancers journal?”

“Don’t open that!” I said and turned bright red. All my recent entries were about them and my worries. I really don’t want them to see that. They might think I’m weird or something.

“Got a list of colts you like in here?” Lemon Hearts asked curiously and I honestly didn’t think I could get any redder. If only they knew I secretly loved Twilight. I didn’t know how they would react to me being gay so I haven’t told anypony. I probably wouldn’t ever tell.

“No. I don’t have time for relationships,” I said neutrally. While that wasn’t technically a lie, I hoped it would tide them over. I would kill to date Twilight one day but I’m me and she’s well her. She’s a princess and I’m a mare in a run down part of Canterlot.

“Oh okay. I don’t judge,” Lemon Hearts winked and gave me a slight nudge as we approached Twinkleshine’s house. It was a two story light pink house with a star decoration of her cutie mark on the door.

Must be nice to live on a quiet part of town. The royal guards are always on my street either dealing with drunk ponies or a fight. Just a few weeks ago there was a group brawl between two fans of opposing football teams. Obviously alcohol had been involved.

“Here we are!” Twinkleshine announced happily and opened her door. I stared in awe of the nicely decorated interior as I slowly followed them. I don’t think I’ve ever been in here before.

Minuette poked her head out of the kitchen with a massive grin as I noticed the mint green unicorn on the couch.

“Lyra?”