• Published 4th Oct 2023
  • 634 Views, 58 Comments

Why Do I Feel This Way - TheKing2001



When visiting an orphanage in Canterlot with friends, Moondancer realizes she actually cares about one of the fillies and hits the books to investigate.

  • ...
0
 58
 634

Chapter XIII


Moondancer


I finished examining Twilight’s book shelf as the door was kicked open and I caught the door in my aura. Lemon Hearts and the others had left to to do something down town and I assume, based on the door, Lyra was back.

“Hey Moondancer,” Lyra said as I internally pumped a hoof in the air. I was on a roll today.

“Hey Lyra,” I said as I turned around. “Hey Spike, hey random filly.”

“Hey Moondancer,” Spike said and waved. “I’m going back to sleep. Berry Punch had me running around her vineyard for her. I’m exhausted. Grapes are annoying.”

Lyra and I laughed quietly as Spike flopped onto a small bed that looked to be a doggy bed and started snoring.

“That’s Liza by the way. She’s me and Bon Bons adopted daughter,” Lyra said as I raised an eyebrow.

“Since when?”

“For about a year now, give or take. Didn’t I mention her?”

"No, you didn’t.”

I wasn’t mad to be honest. Lyra was always the most forgetful and impulsive of us all. I can’t remember how many times she either forgot to do something in school or chose to do something more entertaining instead.

“Oh well sorry about that,” Lyra scratched her mane with a hoof. “Liza, Moondancer. Moondancer, Liza. I went to school with MD a good few years back.”

“Hello,” Liza said casually as she examined me back and poked at my mane. “We came to pick you up. Mom and well, mom want you to come over for dinner. If you wish of course.”

“Yeah sure,” I said with a shrug. “I can teleport us there if you want.”

“Just give me a second to prepare,” Lyra said and let Liza climb on her back. “Last time I teleported back home, I fell on top of Bon Bon and Junebug as they were making dinner. Though your teleportation might be a bit more accurate than mine is.”

I could believe that. I remember the last time Lyra tried teleporting us somewhere was when we were fillies and we were stuck on the top of the castle for hours till Princess Celestia came and got us down herself.

“Alright, ready.”

I gave a short nod and closed my eyes, focusing on my spell as I felt my horn surge followed by a loud popping sound.

“Nice! Fastest way to travel!” Lyra laughed as I opened my eyes in time to see Bon Bon run out of the kitchen with a spoon in her hoof and I stepped back nervously.

“Oh it’s just you,” Bon Bon sighed in relief and lowered her hoof. “Thought it was Lyra. I had to ban her from teleporting in and out of the house after the last incident.”

I bit back a snicker as Lyra rolled her eyes.

“I see you met Liza. I’ll let you and Lyra talk while Liza helps me with dinner if that’s okay with you?” Bon Bon suggested but I had a feeling I had little say in the matter based on the look on her face.

“Yeah sure,” I said as Liza waved before following Bon Bon into the kitchen, leaving me and Lyra. I gave a shrug and followed her example of sitting down and looked around her house curiously. “Nice place.”

“Thanks. Hopefully you like stewed cabbage and carrots,” Lyra said as she levitated her lyre to sit on her lap and idly strummed it.

“That’s fine,” I said and relaxed as I listened to her music. I really had to be in the mood for classical music but I’d be lying if I said it didn’t help make me at peace. “So how exactly did you go about adopting Liza? Never thought you’d be the one to have kids. You were always a very free spirit.”

“You ever just met a pony and instantly fall in love?”

“Uhm.”

“Not in the pedophile way don’t worry,” Lyra reassured me and I sighed in relief. I really didn’t know where she was going with that at first. “I mean like, just meeting another pony who you click with. That was Liza. Me and Bon Bon met her when she came into the shop one day and said that she didn’t get much candy at the orphanage and wanted to buy some from us. Naturally, we gave her it for free but she kept visiting us. Bon Bon had never met another pony that was as experienced in candy making except Pinkie. I personally never met such a young pony with such knowledge of classic music.”

I gave a nod as Lyra smiled faintly and stared at a picture of the three on one of the brown walls. Whoever decided to paint the house brown was weird in my opinion. I prefer white or blue for houses but not my house.

“Anyway, I told Bon Bon that I thought the kid was cool and absolutely worth taking in, Bonnie agreed and said she had been thinking the same. We did the paperwork, got our house inspected and all, passed and boom, a few months later we had a daughter.”

“Just like that?” I asked in surprise. I could have sworn the adoption process was longer than that but I’ve never really cared enough about kids. “What about her biological parents? What happened to them?”

“Well there was a bit more than that to do but yeah,” Lyra admitted as she levitated her lyre back to it’s stand in the center of the room. “And she has a decent relationship with her biological mom. She was a mare of the night and willingly gave up Liza because she wanted a decent family to raise her and she knew she couldn’t do that with her line of work. I respect her, it takes a lot to admit you don’t have what it takes to raise a kid and find some ponies that can. Takes even more courage to lay that all out on the table and still meet your kid.”

"Wow,” I said and locked eyes with Lyra. “You seem to have everything together. I’m happy for you, Lyra.”

“Thanks. So what about you and Cotton Cloudy? You remind me of myself when I first met Liza, talking to her at the orphanage a lot, caring about her, donating her stuff. What’s going on there?” Lyra asked curiously as she folded her forelegs.

“Just me being nice. I’m not entirely sure I’d be a good parent. I mean, you saw my house.”

“You’re right, I did. And it’s completely different now,” Lyra commented as she frowned at me. “It’s like I went from a horrible dumpster-”

“Hey!”

“-and went to an amazing home that’s just there and could have so much more happen to it,” Lyra continued as she ignored my outburst. “Sounds like dinner is ready. Now why don’t we go hang out with the others and you think on what I said, okay?”

“Okay.”

I gave a sigh and dropped off the couch onto my legs, and followed Lyra. I almost froze when I realized she was right.

Oh my Celestia, I care about a filly.