• Published 4th Oct 2023
  • 636 Views, 58 Comments

Why Do I Feel This Way - TheKing2001



When visiting an orphanage in Canterlot with friends, Moondancer realizes she actually cares about one of the fillies and hits the books to investigate.

  • ...
0
 58
 636

Chapter XIX


Moondancer


I slammed my head repeatedly against the desk as I shifted my focus back to my book. I don’t know if Minuette was back with the others or not, but I presume I would know because I bet they would be pounding on my door.

Most likely to try to lift my spirits but in all honesty, the alcohol that could do that hasn’t been invented yet. I lifted my head again as I absent-mindedly levitated a piece of pie to my face, taking a bite and idly chewing as I continued working.

Okay, pumpkin pie might be enough to raise my spirits but I’d need copious amounts of it. Pumpkin pie is my version of another mares ice cream or chocolate.

My eyes flicked to the adoption papers and I sighed once again. They were sitting on my desk, almost out of sight. I still didn’t know what I was going to do with them. A part of me wanted to throw them away yet another part wanted to keep them.

I rolled my eyes and levitated them to me, plopping them on my open book and opened the folder, raising an eyebrow.

“To be considered for adoption, you must get your house inspected for it to be safe for your new filly, colt or foal. Safety is a top priority for the ponies in our care,” I read aloud as I looked around my house. I shrugged and looked back down. “We will send an agent to your house for inspection upon you handing this folder in to Director Sunny Flare at the Canterlot Orphanage. This folder must be completed with no exceptions in order for you to be considered. We will give more details when you are accepted and we thank you for considering to adopting one of our adorable ponies!”

I gave a faint chuckle as I rolled my eyes again. That sounded like they were advertising for puppies or cats instead of adopting ponies.

I flipped the pages as my eyes continued scanning the information curiously as I stood up, placing my new saddlebags on with the folder in them and galloped out the door, slamming it shut.

Hopefully they were still open.


I trotted inside the orphanage lobby and looked around. Indigo wasn’t at the desk but the same pink mare was with the same bored expression as always.

“Oh it’s you again,” she sighed as I trotted up to her. I idly realized I didn’t even know her name.

“Yes me. Is uh Director Sunny Flare here?” I asked curiously and placed my hooves on the counter. “Why do you remember me out of all my friends?”

“You’re the most interesting of all your friends, that’s why. They’re all playful and you’re the one who has the best grip on reality,” she explained. “You’re a good mix of them all.”

“Yes I am,” Sunny said behind me and I dropped to all four and turned around. “What can I do for you Moondancer?”

“I’ve made up my mind,” I answered as she gave me an unreadable look.

“Excellent. Let’s go to my office, shall we?” Sunny gestured with a hoof and I nodded.

We started trotting side by side as we walked past a window and I glanced at Cotton Cloudy on the swings talking to another filly.

“I’m sorry about Air Head by the way. She’s a bit unique and carefree. Gets easily bored often,” Sunny said as I looked at her.

“Air Head?”

“The secretary? She’s a bit different but nice. You just have to get to know her.”

Sunny levitated her door open and I followed her inside. She pointed a hoof at a chair across from her desk and I sat in it as she sat down.

“So what did you decide?” She asked curiously and folded her forelegs across her chest.

I levitated the folder out of my saddlebags onto her desk and dropped it with a thumping sound.

“I want her.”

“Who?” Sunny asked as she smiled.

“Cotton Cloudy. I want her.”

“Excellent,” Sunny Flare grinned as she licked her hoof and opened the folder and examined the pages. “Good, good. Everything is done properly. It only took you three days to decide too. Usually takes ponies longer to decide.”

“Yeah well I got nothing really going on work wise at the moment so it was on my mind.”

“And what do you do for work since you brought it up?” Sunny asked as she glanced up worriedly.

“I’m a freelance research assistant for the colleges across Equestria. I’m working with the Manehatten College next month. Is this a requirement?”

She nodded as she continued reading my papers I had given her.

“Yeah it is. We need to guarantee the filly will get food and a decent space to live. What day works best for your examination of the home?”

I rubbed a hoof against my chin as Sunny watched me intently.

“Tomorrow works for me. I don’t have any plans in the afternoon. Gotta get groceries in the morning,” I answered as Sunny nodded. She levitated a quill over to her and wrote down on a piece of paper.

“Okay sounds good. I’ll make the pony aware and she will be seeing you tomorrow at three pm. I’m happy you made the right decision. Didn’t think I’d ever see you again to be honest.”

“Yeah well, you made a compelling case. Can I see her?” I asked curiously and flicked an ear as she nodded.

“She should be back in from the playground. Been trying to get her outdoors more. Cotton Cloudy to Sunnys office.”

I waited as I examined the office closer. There was a few awards on the wall along with a trophy on the bookshelf. The door opened and we both looked at the small filly in the doorway.

“Hello Cotton,” I smiled as she climbed into the seat next to me. “Nice to see you again.”

“Likewise. What am I doing here?” Cotton demanded as she stretched her wings out.

“Miss Moondancer requested to see you. You and her are going to be spending a lot of time together potentially,” Sunny Flare winked.

“What do you mean?” Cotton asked as I hid a small smile behind a hoof.

“I will let you know in the future if anything serious happens. Go show Miss Moondancer your clay collection,” Sunny directed as she pointed a hoof to the door.

We both nodded as Cotton grabbed my hoof and pulled me out of the chair.

“Come on, let’s go!” Cotton demanded as she gave a eager flutter of her wings.

I gave an low chuckle before trotting after her with a smile.