• Published 4th Oct 2023
  • 634 Views, 58 Comments

Why Do I Feel This Way - TheKing2001



When visiting an orphanage in Canterlot with friends, Moondancer realizes she actually cares about one of the fillies and hits the books to investigate.

  • ...
0
 58
 634

Chapter VII


Moondancer


I stretched my hindlegs out a bit as I opened my eyes, looking around the room and blinking in confusion. This wasn’t my house. Where in the wide world of Equestria was I?

I resisted the urge to panic and looked around, calming down at the sight of a sleeping Lemon Hearts, Minuette and Twinkleshine.

“Hey there,” Lyra said from behind me and I jumped slightly. Her horn glowed golden as she gave me a sheepish smile. “Didn’t mean to startle you. Good morning.”

“It’s fine. Good morning,” I yawned and climbed off the couch. “When did I get put on the couch? I was asleep on the floor last I checked.”

“Lemon Hearts. She put you on it.”

That made a bit of sense. I looked around for my journal and book, sighing in relief that they were where I left them last night. I didn’t think my friends would read either but it’s always good to be reassured. I should put a spell on my journal one day.

“You’re up early,” I noted and levitated my glasses on. “Why?”

“Oh I usually help Bon Bon stock the shelves of the store before she opens,” Lyra said as she levitated her saddlebags on and tossed some bits into one. “Five am isn’t really that early. I’m going to Joe’s to get some donuts for the others. Wanna come with?”

“Sure why not,” I said as I followed her out the door and shut it quietly behind us. I looked around outside as we started trotting.

I always did like early morning, when it’s not too dark out but not too sunny either. The perfect mix.

Garbage ponies were tossing trash into some carriages as some other unicorns were sweeping the streets with large brooms. I idly wondered how they got stuck doing that job. Having a broom for a cutie mark would suck a bit I think.

“How’s life?” Lyra asked suddenly as I glanced back over at her.

“Decent I suppose. You?”

“Pretty good. Bon Bon is great and all, the shop is going good. Got into a fight with Bon Bon recently and made her sleep on the couch but it’s okay.”

“Oh. Uh what about?” I asked cautiously. I didn’t know if that was private or not. But if it was private, then Lyra wouldn’t have mentioned it right?

“Oh this unicorn named Trixie came into town again recently. Bon Bon and a few other mares including one Minuette is seeing laughed at her and made her leave. Me and Minuette both got kinda angry at our partners and ignored them for a few days. It’s why I’m here and not in town. Don’t wanna see Bons right now,” Lyra said and her expression changed slightly. I’ve never seen Lyra angry except now I think.

“What did Trixie do?” I asked curiously as Lyra inhaled.

“She was doing a magic show in town. Rainbow Dash and a few other ponies challenged her and she dealt with them how I would have. Beat them in a magic show. And then they begged Twilight to do the same to her. Kinda angered me. She was just doing a show and dealt with a crowd of hecklers. Hell, Bon Bon and the others were even liking the show till the elements ruined things.”

“How exactly is beating them at magic dealing with hecklers? Wouldn’t it be better to just ignore them?” I asked as we stepped onto a sidewalk.

“Right, you’re not a showmare like myself or Trixie or Octavia. Octavia and Vinyl got angry at the elements too. Octavia is scary when she gets angry. Anyway, it’s not about beating them. It’s about shutting down hecklers in an entertaining method for the crowd. She recently beat Twilight in magic duel. Granted, she had the Alicorn thingy but still, winning is winning,” Lyra said casually as she sighed. “I’m sorry by the way.”

“For?”

“For being late to your party you threw so many years ago. I woke up late and forgot a gift so I had to rush around to buy one and make it in time. By then, well you remember how it ended.”

I remember how it ended all right. The others sticking around as I awkwardly opened the gifts they had gotten me. Clock from Minuette, camera from Lyra, telescope from Twinkleshine and a bunch of baking supplies from Lemon Hearts. Reminder to ask Lemon Hearts to help me try baking.

“It’s fine,” I said as Donut Joe’s came into view. I could make out the stallion behind the counter, pulling out trays of donuts with his magic. I opened the door with my magic and followed Lyra in.

“Well look who it is. Moondancer and Lyra. Haven’t seen you two together in a while,” Donut Joe said as he leaned against. I wonder if Donut was his first name or just a business thing.

“Hey Joe. How’s the family?” Lyra asked as she stared at him.

“Oh they’re good. Coffee Cake is learning how to walk. Scary as heck ya know?” Donut Joe smirked as I nodded. “What can I get for you two? Is Twilight back in town?”

“Nah, not that I’ve heard of. Just getting some breakfast before the other mares wake up. If that’s okay of course,” Lyra said as she placed her forelegs on the counter.

“Whatcha looking to get?”

“Three chocolate donuts with pink sprinkles, three lemon donuts, two mint donuts, one blueberry donut and a blackberry. What about you Moondancer?” Lyra asked as Donut Joe levitated the requested donuts into a box.

“Uhm just two strawberry filled donuts please,” I said as Donut Joe nodded. Internally, I was happy. My information about Twinkleshine, Lemon Hearts and Minuette was accurate. Plus I had information about Lyra to add to my diary.

“Oh and five pumpkin spice lattes please. I wanna see the other girls reactions,” Lyra snickered as she levitated some bits onto the counter.

“Alright those will be ready in a few. Ten bits please.” Lyra cursed under her breath and added four more bits. “Thank ya. Just go sit down and I’ll call you up. Got some royal guards coming in apparently for breakfast.”

Lyra gave a nod as she levitated the box into her saddlebags and we sat down at a nearby table as two guards walked in. I looked outside as I remembered something Lyra said.

“Wait, Minuette is seeing a mare?”