• Published 29th Oct 2023
  • 1,251 Views, 286 Comments

A Sparkle's Little Dusk IV: A Family Eternal - Mister E-Nonymous



Dusk Shine, son of Princess Twilight Sparkle, has a family that has been growing bigger and bigger. Especially when Cadance has a new foal of her own. That means things are gonna be a lot more interesting. Or maybe, something bad comes back for more.

  • ...
4
 286
 1,251

Chapter 4: The Crystalling

Chapter 4: The Crystalling


Outside of the Crystal Palace, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy and the CMC were still trying to convince the ponies to leave before the snowstorm of the Frozen North took out the Crystal Empire.

"You can't stay here!" Applejack nearly shouted.

"Did I mention this was a Royal Crystalling?" the mustached pony asked. "When the crystaller holds the young one aloft, all of the Empire will share their joy and light, and the Crystal Heart will beat stronger than it ever has before!"

"It really is a moving ceremony!" said the stallion with the pins on his vest and hat.

"I really don't think it's going to happen," Fluttershy said as Rainbow Dash was shivering.

"Come on, it's freezing out here!" Rainbow Dash said, shivering.

"Uh, this is the Crystal Empire," the elderly mare said. "We've seen snow before."

"Not like this!" came Shining Armor's voice. Everypony looked up on the stage above Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and the CMC, seeing Shining Armor, Dusk, Daylight and the Tri-Pies standing there. "We don't have time to argue! Princess Cadance has decided to evacuate the city!"

The crowd gasped. Then the mustached stallion said, "But the Crystalling...!"

"The baby's the reason why the Crystalling is cancelled," Dusk said. "She cried out with the Royal Canterlot Voice near the Crystal Heart, and..." He then bit his lip. "The Crystal Heart... shattered."

The crowd gasped and the elderly mare said, "It's not safe here!"

Applejack groaned and said, "That's what we've been tryin' ta tell you!" Then the ponies started running towards the train station before the tracks started to freeze over.

Meanwhile, in the sky above the Crystal Empire, Princesses Celestia and Luna were trying to use their magic to push back the snowstorm. They were straining due to how strong the storm was.

"Push them back, my sister!" Princess Celestia said.

Back on the ground, Shining Armor, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, the CMC, Dusk and Daylight were leading the ponies to the train station.

"This way!" Shining Armor called out.

One Crystal Earth Pony Mare slipped and fell into the snow. Fluttershy helped her up to her hooves and they kept running. Rainbow Dash was trying to fly fast, but her wings were starting to freeze. So she had no choice but to get to the train station grounded with the other ponies.

"Just a little bit further, y'all!" Applejack called out. "The station's just ahead!" Just then, she saw Starlight Glimmer, along with Spike and Starlight's old friend, who is also Sunset Shimmer's younger brother, Sunburst. Princesses Celestia and Luna descended to the group.

"We have to go back!" Starlight called out.

"I know how to stop this!" Sunburst called out.


Twilight, Cadance and Nyx were in the area where the Crystal Heart is usually. The baby alicorn was bouncing on Nyx's back. For some reason, the baby bouncing on Nyx's back wasn't bothering the alicorn filly at all. The Crystal Heart still was shattered on the ground. Twilight and Nyx were writing what they could remember of the spell they found, but they were struggling a little to find out if the words were correct.

Twilight was thinking as she finished it and asked, "Uh, I think that's everything?"

Cadance took the parchment in her magic, read the parchment and said, "It looks right to me, but... there's only one way to find out!" Nyx took the parchment in her magic and stepped away from the Crystal Heart shards. Twilight and Cadance used their magic to bring the shards up to the area where the Crystal Heart was hovering, then they used magical beams to restore the Crystal Heart. It was revived for a bit, but it was still cracked. It gave out a pink glow, but then the glow stopped and the Crystal Heart ended up shattered on the ground again.

"The spell failed," Twilight said. She then hung her head down in defeat. "I don't know what else to do."

Twilight's attention was then caught by Princess Celestia's voice, saying, "An old student of mine believes he does." Twilight, Cadance and Nyx saw Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, her five friends, Shining Armor, Dusk, Daylight, the CMC, Spike and Sunburst coming in from the curtains behind them. Princess Celestia, Princess Luna and Rainbow Dash were all coated in ice. Then the royal sisters moved out of the way, letting Sunburst come towards the Crystal Heart shards.

Sunburst looked down at the shards and asked, "The baby did this?!"

Twilight held up the rewritten spell, saying, "I tried putting it back together with..."

Sunburst quickly read the spell and said, "The spell of Relic Reconstitution. No, that won't do it." Sunburst took the parchment in his own magic and crumpled it up. "The Crystal Heart's been around for millennia. Restoring a relic like this is way beyond one spell." Sunburst took out a book from his saddlebags and started flipping through the pages. He then gave the book to Twilight as he was saying, "You need to combine it with something else. Something unique to the relic itself." Twilight took the book in her own magic and read it. Then Sunburst said something to Twilight that might give her a clue. "Something that strengthens it and provides it with power...?"

Twilight thought about it, got the hint and said, "The Crystalling!"

"Combining that spell with the light and love of everypony gathered for the ceremony, together with..." Sunburst explained when he pulled out a book and gave it to Starlight. "...Somnambula's Weather Abjuration to clear away the snow..." He then walked up to Princess Cadance and Shining Armor. Princess Cadance was holding her baby. "...and a little Fledgling's Forbearance for the parents..." Shining Armor took the scroll in his magic. Sunburst then touched the baby with his right forehoof. "Heh. That should curb the little one's power fluctuations." The baby giggled and reached out for Sunburst's snout.

"You must be Sunburst," Cadance said. "Starlight said you were a powerful wizard."

"Oh, I'm no wizard," Sunburst responded. Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, the CMC, Nyx and Daylight all gasped at that.

"What?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"But he studied magic his whole life!" Starlight said. "You should see his house! And since nopony has any better ideas, what do we have to lose?!" She then smiled awkwardly.

Shining Armor took the baby in his magic and gave the scroll to Cadance, who took it in her own magic. He then said, "I had planned on asking Twilight to be our crystaller, but since it seems like she'll be busy..." Shining Armor levitated the baby to Sunburst, who grabbed the baby in his left foreleg.

"I'd be honored!" Sunburst said. The baby then started messing with Sunburst's glasses while giggling.

"Well, what are we waiting for?!" Twilight asked. Then Twilight's friends, Sunburst, the CMC, Shining Armor, Cadance and the baby all headed out to the stage. Twilight then used her magic to restore the Crystal Heart, making it like how it was before the restoration spell failed. Then Princess Celestia, Princess Luna and Dusk used their magic and shot beams at the Crystal Heart as well. Starlight was reading the spell that Sunburst told her to use. Then she shot a magic beam at the Crystal Heart. Nyx and Daylight stood by Dusk's sides to keep Dusk steady as he was firing the beam.

Meanwhile, on stage, Twilight's friends, the CMC, Sunburst, Cadance, Shining Armor and the baby were on stage. Sunburst was holding the baby in his right foreleg. Shining Armor and Cadance leaned in and kissed their baby on the cheeks. Shining kissed the baby's left cheek and Cadance the right. Then they connected all three of their horns. Then the baby was surrounded in a yellow aura, floating up into the sky.

Sunburst then took one of the crystals from the case that Rarity was holding, and announced to the Crystal Ponies, "Citizens! May I present the newest member of the Crystal Empire!"

The baby then unfolded her wings, laughing as she was doing it. The crowd cheered. Then the mustached pony then said, "She's beautiful!"

"Oh! It's just so moving!" the pinned pony said. Then the Crystal Ponies started bowing. Then the streets of the Crystal Empire started glowing brighter. Sunburst then held up the crystal in his magic, and levitated it to the glowing street. He then ran towards the Crystal Heart, jumped into the air, and inserted the crystal into the top of the Crystal Heart. Then the Crystal Heart started glowing in a bright white aura, surrounding all the ponies in the Crystal Empire, everypony getting a crystal look. Including Dusk, Nyx, Daylight and the CMC.


[Sorry, no image of Dusk or Daylight in Crystal Form... yet]

The Crystalling also caused the snowstorm to get out of the Crystal Empire, all signs of Frozen North Ice out of the Crystal Empire. As soon as the storm cleared, the baby came down and got into the hooves of her parents, who kissed her again.

"Best Crystalling ever!" the elderly Crystal Mare said. The mustached pony nodded in agreement.

Back behind the stage, Starlight looked at Sunburst with a smug look. She then said, "For a pony who isn't great at magic, you did pretty well."

"Indeed," Princess Celestia agreed. Starlight and Sunburst looked at Princess Celestia. "I'm glad to see you've found a way to share your unique gift, Sunburst. You may be more of a wizard than you think." Starlight and Sunburst looked at each other, smiling. Then they got even more happy.


Back at the Crystal Empire Train Station, Twilight Velvet and Night Light were there, finally arriving in the Crystal Empire. The Mane 6, the CMC, Dusk, Nyx, Daylight, Shining, Cadance, the baby, Starlight, Sunburst and Spike were all there as well.

"You would not believe the crazy weather that delayed our train," Night Light said. "Came out of nowhere."

Velvet then walked up to Shining, Cadance and the baby, saying, "But it was all worth it to see this peaceful little angel!" She got a closer look at the baby. "Awww, so sweet! Come to your grandmare!" The baby noticed Velvet and tried reaching out for her, giggling.

"Yeah, peaceful now, anyway," Applejack said.

"I suppose that spell really did the trick!" Twilight said, talking about the spell that Starlight used to push back the weather with the help of the Crystal Heart. Just then, the baby started inhaling. She was about to sneeze.

"Hit the dirt!" Dusk shouted. Then the Mane 6, Dusk, Nyx, Daylight and the CMC moved to get out of the way of a possible magical blast from the baby. The baby then sneezed, not releasing any magic. The Mane 6, Dusk, Nyx, Daylight and the CMC then got up and looked at the baby. Luckily it was just a false alarm. Shining and Cadance looked down at the baby and smiled.

"We have Sunburst to thank for that," Shining Armor said.

"I hope he takes his role as crystaller seriously," Cadance said. "Something tells me the baby will need a pony like him to look to for magical advice."

Velvet then took the baby in her magic, and held her in her left foreleg, saying, "Cadance, darling, aren't we gonna name the poor little dear, or are we gonna spend our entire visit just calling her 'the baby'?"

Cadance and Shining looked at each other. Then Cadance said, "We were thinking... 'Flurry Heart'."

"You know, to remember the occasion," Shining Armor said.

"Oh, goodness, how could anypony forget?" Rarity asked, remembering the exhausting events they all had the entire time.

Twilight walked up to her mom and Flurry Heart, saying, "I think it's lovely." Twilight then kissed Flurry's cheek, causing her to giggle and reach out for Twilight.

At the end of the platform, Starlight was talking to Sunburst.

"Well, I think you're the Crystal Empire's big important wizard, whether you like it or not," Starlight said.

"I don't know if I'll have time for any wizarding," Sunburst said. "I'm a crystaller now. That's a big responsibility."

"I can't think of anypony more qualified," Starlight said. "Just... promise you'll stay in touch?"

"Hm, like I'd ever lose touch with my oldest friend," Sunburst said. Then the two of them hugged. The Mane 6, the CMC, Dusk, Nyx, Daylight and Spike were already back on the train. Twilight was looking out the window, seeing the two ponies hug. She then brought her head back in through the window as Starlight headed for the train.

"What's wrong, Twilight?" Spike asked, getting Twilight's attention, her ears drooped.

"I don't know, Spike," Twilight said. "I think I have a lot to learn about being a teacher."

"Are you kidding me, Mom?" Dusk asked. "Even though their friendship had some bumps in the road, I'd say Starlight's first friendship lesson went off perfectly."

"Yeah, Starlight and Sunburst got over their past and rekindled their friendship!" Spike said. Twilight looked at Nyx and Daylight, who nodded in agreement.

"But it was no thanks to me," Twilight said. " I know a lot happened. I just wish I could have given my pupil the attention she deserves." Twilight looked around to see Starlight getting into an empty seat across from Fluttershy, who was sitting behind Twilight, Nyx and Daylight.

Well, I know she needed to be put on the right path, but giving her the space to make her own decisions worked pretty well," Spike said.

"Isn't that what Princess Celestia taught you, Mom?" Dusk asked. Twilight then thought about it.

"You know, I never thought about it!" Twilight said. "But I guess it is!" Dusk then got out of his seat, heading off somewhere. "Where are you going, Dusk?"

"Bathroom," Dusk responded. Eventually, he made it into the bathroom. After doing his business, as the train was moving, Dusk noticed the window was open. He then flew up to try and close it, but then he noticed something flying towards the Crystal Empire. He couldn't make it out, but it was a black speck. "What is that?" Dusk tried getting a better look, but then his sight was covered in snow because the train made it outside the barrier that was keeping the snow out of the Crystal Empire. He then closed the window. He then said, "Never mind." He then washed his hooves as he was hovering. He then thought of something. "Seriously, why do we wash our hooves if we're just gonna walk on them?"

Back in the Crystal Empire, the Watcher, who was watching from the Nexus of All Realities, was looking down at Shining Armor, Cadance, Flurry Heart, Twilight Velvet and Night Light.

"Of course raising a family for the first time is tough, but this one was the toughest out of all the first time parents combined. At least they got that baby's power under control. For now." He then looked towards the black speck, seeing it was a changeling. "Oh. We haven't seen him in a while. I wonder how this will end. Meh, that's a story for another time. But for now, this family doesn't need any more stress." He then looked down at the family. He then saw Flurry Heart looking up at him, and reaching out for him. "How does she keep doing that?"

Author's Note:

Well, that was the end of that adventure, but it doesn't mean that this story is finished. There's still a lot more to go through in this story. Hopefully, all you fans will like this story. See you all next time.