• Published 1st Nov 2023
  • 695 Views, 49 Comments

Family Matters - TheKing2001



After Sunset finds out Spitfire needs surgery, she abandons the human world temporarily to spend time with her sister.

  • ...
3
 49
 695

Chapter XXXIII


Cheerilee


I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes as I sat at the dinner table with my hand wrapped around a coffee cup.

“Hey,” Spitfire grumbled as she stumbled into the room in pajamas Sunset loaned her.

“Morning,” I forced a yawn down as Spitfire sat down and slumped over in her chair. “Rough night?”

“Long night is more like it,” Spitfire answered. “Sunset was up all night playing a video game with Derpy. Apparently some game Derpy got for Christmas.”

“Ah yeah Skylanders. I overheard Derpy and Sunset talking about it once and watching the trailer. It seemed like a game they would both enjoy and all of us can play it as well.”

“Well, they do. The two were laughing all night. She seems happy.”

“They both are,” I admitted as I pushed a second cup of coffee I had originally set out for Cherry but she was evidently still asleep.

“Thanks,” Spitfire said as she accepted the cup gratefully. “She loves you a lot, you know? Sunset is always writing to me about you.”

“I know. She adores the heck out of me. It’s a nice feeling. Sure, my sisters and my niece love me but it’s a different type of love that comes from a daughter,” I admitted with a faint blush.

“I’ll have to take your word for it,” Spitfire admitted as I pulled out a stack of papers with a pen and started writing. “What’s all that?”

“School work.”

“Aren’t you on vacation though?” Spitfire pointed out with a confused expression.

“A teachers job is never truly done after we leave the building. Most of my grading of papers is done at home. I don’t truly get vacations like my kids do, unless it’s summer and even then I’m still working on how to make my class room more friendly looking,” I answered as I started grading homework.

“So what are you grading?”

“Language arts.”

We sat in silence as I sighed in boredom, giving various grades for different students.

“What are you gonna do after being a teacher?” Spitfire asked suddenly as I gave her a confused glance.

“I’ve never really thought about it. Being a teacher is all I’ve ever wanted. I do look forward to retirement one day but I’m still in my twenties, retirement is far, far away. And besides, I’d be lying if I said Sunset and the others didn’t make school fun to work at. When it’s not getting attacked at least.”

Spitfire gave a faint snicker as she leaned back in her chair.

“So I’ve heard. I’ve heard quite a decent amount from the other girls and a few other students. Do you think other me is still terrified of me?” Spitfire asked with a wide smile.

“Most likely. I think half the school body is afraid of you as well.”

“Excellent.”

“So you are staying till new years correct?” I asked curiously as I went back to my work and Spitfire gave a quick nod.

“Yeah I suppose. Sunset did say she didn’t have any plans for new years eve, whatever that is.”

“It’s the last day of the year. And we’ve never done anything for new years, except the first year I adopted Sunset. Lots of people have parties or get drunk, my sister used to be one of them. Now she just gets drunk at home with Minuette and Cherry.”

“That sounds awesome,” Spitfire admitted.

“Rainbow and Lightning Dust seem to share your sentiment as well. Knowing teenagers, those two will most likely find a way to get alcohol.”

“And Sunset?”

“The day Sunset gets drunk is the day she turns twenty one and moves out. That said, if she did get drunk at a party, I’d come pick her up. I’d rather her be drunk and safe at home than drunk at a strangers.”

Spitfire said nothing as I looked up as the girl snored slightly with her head on her hands as I chuckled.

“And I’m talking to myself now.”


“You really need a outside life,” Berry noted as she eyed my stack of a hundred graded papers in disbelief. “I can’t believe you did that in three hours.”

“I have an outside life!” I defended myself as we looked outside to Sunset and her brother having a snowball fight with Derpy and the younger girls. “And I get focused on my work easily.”

“True,” Minuette chimed in as she sat across from me with her legs crossed. “You always got super focused, especially during the friendship games.”

“You remember how competitive Cheerilee and I got during the friendship games?” Cherry gave a laugh as I blushed. “We wanted to win so bad every time.”

“So did I,” Berry agreed readily. “And not even just the games, literally everything. Sports and the like. If they had an alcohol making section, we’d have won that our freshman year.”

“Because having high schoolers making alcohol at school is a great idea,” I snarked and rolled my eyes as Berry scowled at me. “I already catch these kids smoking their cigarettes in the bathrooms.”

“Horrible for your teeth,” Minuette grumbled. “My dad smoked growing up, worst smell ever. That stuff kills you so quickly.”

“True that,” Berry Punch agreed as she cracked her knuckles before drinking her coffee. “I’m not ready to go back to work.”

“Same,” I sighed and propped my head up. “Even with new teachers being hired, it’s still stressful there. While Sunset was in Equestria, I had to deal with Bulk Biceps and Norman getting into a fight. God knows about what.”

“The big guy?” Cherry asked in disbelief. “I’d hate to see the other guy.”

I gave a nod as the back door opened and Scootaloo trudged in.

“Wanna come join us in a snowball fight?” Scootaloo asked hopefully.

“I don’t know, I have a lot to grade still,” I said as Scootaloo and Cherry frowned at me.

“Loosen up a bit. Let’s go.”

I bit back the remark that it was funny Cherry was telling me to loosen up of all people.

“Let’s go,” I said and stood as the other adults stood up with me.

I guess I can grade later, I have a snowball fight to win.