• Published 1st Nov 2023
  • 695 Views, 49 Comments

Family Matters - TheKing2001



After Sunset finds out Spitfire needs surgery, she abandons the human world temporarily to spend time with her sister.

  • ...
3
 49
 695

Chapter XXIX


Sunset


I wrapped a hoof around Derpy and Dinky as we stared at the stage, stifling a yawn. Lavender and Cloudkicker had returned after I forced the two to go on a walk, suggesting Lavender show her cousin the house she apparently owned.

“What’s that?” Dinky asked as she pointed and I smiled faintly.

“Chancellor Puddinghead if I remember the story correctly. She lead the earth ponies, Commander Hurricane lead the pegasi and Princess Platinum lead the unicorns,” I explained as Trixie snickered with Vinyl and Lightning.

“Chancellor Puddinghead?” Vinyl giggled softly as Pinkie laughed.

“Yeah. I’d be careful, earth ponies practically worship her,” I warned. “Then you got Clover the Clever, Private Pansy and Smart Cookie. Clover the Clever is naturally played by Twilight.”

“Naturally,” Earth Rainbow snorted as we focused back on the play. “And you all do this every year?”

“Mhm,” I said with a smile. “To remind us we are better off together, not against each other or else the Windigos would return. Allegedly of course.”

“Of course,” Cloudkicker nodded with a smirk as we watched the play end. “Did they really turn to ice?”

“So the story says. I’m not sure I believe it one hundred percent but it keeps everyone happy and united so it has it’s purpose I suppose.”

“What’s the next one?” Dinky asked with a grin as I smiled down at her.

“I believe Snowfall Frost. It’s like what’s the dudes name who hates Christmas and owns that business?”

“A Christmas Carol?” Fluttershy suggested as she looked around.

“Yes that. Thank you.”

“It all began many moons ago in Canterlot,” Twilight started speaking from the stage as we all watched. “Every home in Canterlot was filled with holiday spirit. Except for one. It was said Snowfall was as studied as Starswirl the Bearded.”

“Thank Celestia’s cake loving flank she didn’t go off on a Starswirl loving tangent this time around,” Spike grumbled as he sat down next to us.

Mom and Rainbow laughed quietly as I smirked. It was common knowledge to castle staff that Celestia loved cake more than anything.

Starlight stood on the stage as some of the unicorns levitated a house looking background as Starlight scowled slightly. Her mane looked like what she had told me it was like back in her village. I kinda prefer her new mane style.

“Snowfall was also a powerful unicorn. She wanted to be perfect,” Twilight concluded as Starlight levitated a rock and it turned gold as some stallions trotted past with bells and she dropped the rock, watching it shatter.

“Well, that batch is ruined,” Snowfall grumbled as she glared at the stallions. “Snowdash!”

Rainbow Dash flew into the room with a dust pan and broom as she sighed.

“Snowdash was Snowfalls loyal assistant,” Twilight clarified as Snowdash dropped to her hooves.

“What do ya need?” Snowdash asked.

“Clean this mess up! Those foolish ponies were ringing those foolish things and I post my concentration!”

“Wow, ponies trying to enjoy their Hearths Warming. Where’d they get that crazy idea?” Snowdash muttered as she started sweeping.

“Today is nothing to celebrate! Hearths Warming Eve is a menace, a dangerous day to all of Equestria.”

“Dangerous? It’s awesome! It’s the day we remember how the unicorns, pegasi and earth ponies united to defeat the windigos!”

“That silly legend is just the problem!” Snowfall snapped. “Telling everypony that singing songs and being nice will solve anything! I’ve spent years studying magic and that’s not how it works.”

“I think you’re missing the point,” Snowdash commented after a moment.

“Work hard, learn and use your skills to better Equestria! That’s a noble goal for anypony,” Snowfall snapped angrily as she glared at Snowdash. “But if you want leave work early and abandon all your duties then be my-”

“Sweet!” Snowdash said and flew out the room quickly.

“I hate Hearths Warming Eve!” Snowfall growled as she watched Snowdash fly away. All of Equestria would be better off if we skipped the day all together!”

“She can act,” Rarity whispered with an impressed look as the the others nodded.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming, they say in the street. Happy Hearth’s Warming, they think they’re so sweet,” Snowfall closed the blinds with her magic and rolled her eyes. "Words said so often that they lack any meaning. Why should I join in when I could be intervening?”

“Creepy,” Derpy shuddered as I smirked slightly at her as we held hooves.

“Everypony loves this cursed holiday. But would they be better off with it out of the way? Well, okay!” Snowfall sang as she stepped through a green fog with an evil smile as the crowd collectively shuddered as Snowfall started pouring liquids into the cauldron. “Say goodbye to the holiday, with my magic, I’ll erase it. The greatest gift that I give today. And everypony will have to face it.”

I watched as Fluttershy hugged Rarity with a nervous expression. I’d never heard Starlight sing before but this was pretty damn good.

“No more little games for you to play after you say goodbye to the holiday,” Snowfall pointed a hoof at us all with a smirk. “Goodbye, Hearth’s Warming, you had a good run. Goodbye, Hearth’s Warming, it’s over, you’re done. Finally set free from your forced celebrations. No need to reply to your trite invitations.”

Snowfall dumped some random toys into the cauldron and blew away some illusions of them out of the air.

“Calendar shorter by a single day. Is my magic up to the test? Time to see, I can’t delay,” Snowfall sang as she stood on her forelegs as three illusions of windigos flew around above her as the crowd gasped and I smirked at the Equestrian Trixie hidden behind the stage to most but me.

“Say goodbye to the holiday. Prepare the spell, no hesitation. All memory shall fade away. See Equestria’s new transformation,” Snowfall continued singing as she dropped back down to all four hooves as she gave a sinister sounding laugh. “No more shall anypony say Happy Hearth’s Warming after today.”

I hugged Derpy tighter as the scene changed.

“She can sing,” Spitfire agreed after a moment as I smirked.

“It should be over in an hour and then we can go home,” I reassured the others as Ruby let out a yawn as she sat on Aunt Cherrys lap.

“Okay. I’m ready to go sleep,” Derpy mumbled next to my ear.

I gave a smile her way as I kissed her cheek quickly.

“Me too.”

We turned to finish watching as Derpy turned red. It was so easy to rile her up somedays but she was equally good at riling me up so I tended to be careful with it.