• Published 4th Sep 2023
  • 6,115 Views, 278 Comments

Equestria's Inventor - Yormsky



A human with no knowledge of the MLP Franchise gets displaced into the world of magical talking ponies. To sweeten the deal he is effectively turned into an RPG character.

  • ...
22
 278
 6,115

Chapter 10: Resolution

Chapter 10: Resolution

“I think…” The monochrome Earth Pony looked hesitantly at me, “I think this is too much,” she finished as she looked back down to the crate I’d brought over. “Waayyy too much,” She emphasized as she shook her head and finished testing the last of the potions I’d made to help Celestia recover.

I may have gone a little overboard with replicating ten of each of the Ultra Premier Grade Potions I’d thought would help with the Princess’ recovery, but how was I supposed to know what was considered an effective dose for a goddess? If anything, before I’d met with the royal head doctor, I thought I might have actually had to go back to the lab to work on making Consumate Grade potions.

“One of each is more than enough to restore the Princess’ damaged thaumatological pathways. The only difference between Ultra Premier and Consummate Grade would be how quickly the effects take place. Whereas with your potions the Princess will probably need a whole day to fully recover and perhaps only half that time to wake up, Consummate Grade potions would bring her back to peak condition in minutes,” the doctor explained as she fed the potions into Celestia intravenously.

“I’m actually surprised you managed to bring just the medical potions she needed. Do you have some sort of medical background?” The doctor asked.

“Not really,” I shook my head. “Though, I do know a lot more than most about medicine. It’s kind of a prerequisite to be able to work on some of the projects I have lined up for the future.”

“Well, I’d say it’s serving you well enough for now,” the doctor smiled. “I’m sure the Princess will be up and able to handle whatever’s been going on in no time.”

With nothing else to say, we remained silently waiting for Celestia to wake up. The doctor, remaining monitoring her patient’s vitals and biomarkers, while I… I was left to reconsider a lot of my choices.

For a third time, I’d been completely helpless to do anything about a crisis. I hadn’t been able to do anything against the Changelings or Thestrals that captured me in my sleep and now I was being forced to wait for Celestia to wake up to do anything about the situation going on outside.

It was maddening to know that even when she woke up, there would be nothing I could do to further assist if there was some sort of threat against us. I mean, really? What could I even do against something that managed to affect her?

Honestly, thinking about it, my logic kept cycling through a depressing train of thought. As I was, I wouldn’t be able to do anything in a fight. Deciding to get stronger would probably be pointless, because how long would it even take to be a match for Level 500+ enemies? And really, that was the crux of the issue: Level 500+ potential enemies. Because what else could threaten Celestia?

Maybe I was going about this the wrong way, maybe I wasn’t. I couldn’t really tell because so far I hadn’t done anything to really understand how much a person’s Level played into their effective strength. I mean, back when I made my gun I was still the same Level regardless of whether or not it was in my possession; that much, I remember.

For all I knew, Celestia’s Level 500+ might have come substantially from her experience living several millennia as an immortal. For all I knew, despite her ability to move the sun, she might not be able to literally harness all of its powers for a direct confrontation against other beings on Equus.

In any case, no matter which way I looked at it, the root of my problem boiled down to me personally being completely useless in a direct confrontation. And, no amount of fancy gadgets and military-grade weapons would help if my base state was about as competent as a boiled potato.

Maybe… If I survived whatever was going on in the world… Maybe it was time to stop being so passive with my RPG powers. Maybe, I should at least try to get stronger. I mean, if not even the capital of the supposedly strongest kingdom on the planet was safe, then…

BOOM!!!

The wall on the left side of the room exploded.

There she is, mine foolish sister,” A deep, feminine voice that resonated with power called out while I was picking myself off of the floor and checking to make sure I was still in one piece.

Quite presumptuous of thee to have underestimated mine patience. Now, tis thine turn to rot in space.

When I finally caught a look at the voice’s owner I was instantly cowed by the overwhelming pressure just looking at her inspired.

[Identified Status]
[Level: ???]
[Name: Nightmare Moon
[Race: Alicorn
[Class: ???]
[Details: A corrupted soul virus that’s taken possession of Luna, Celestia’s sister. It is an entity with the body of Luna and the personification of all her negative emotions, thoughts, and desires.]

With just a look, this Nightmare Moon thing telekinetically lifted Celestia’s unconscious form before doing something — probably sealing her powers if the magical chains meant anything — and sending her body way over the horizon so quickly that I couldn’t make out her form in just seconds.

Nightmare Moon didn’t even look around the room before she shot off the ground with equally baffling speed.

The next couple of hours were just, wild. First, the doctor who had been monitoring Celestia and I had been swarmed with guards. If not for the doctor being a witness who actively defended me, I’m quite sure I would have been executed, if not at the very least taken as prisoner for the Princess’ sudden and violent disappearance.

When we told the guard of what happened, the chaos in the palace only got worse as different factions of the guard started fighting over taking leadership during this emergency situation. There were even a couple pretty nasty fights that broke out, which might have terrified me less and amazed me more, if I hadn’t been worrying about being a casualty to the in-fighting between the ultra-powerful Earth Ponies, unbelievably agile Pegasi, and absolutely overpowered Unicorns that made up present military factions.

Before anyone could take the reigns and do anything meaningful in Canterlot, however, the sun and moons’ positions had returned to their normal spots — and since this was over half a day after this whole thing started, that meant their positions set to just after dawn. Just this phenomenon alone caused all of the in-fighting to stop and the general level of chaos in the city to calm noticeably.

Then, less than an hour later, Celestia returned with Luna and announced the return of Equstria’s diarchy after explaining — in none too great a detail — what had happened over the course of the prior “day.”

After a thousand years, Nightmare Moon had regained enough strength in the magically inert environment of the moon to break the seal that had kept her there. Then, she had returned to Equus and took advantage of Celestia’s state to send her to the Sun.

Her next step would have been to destroy, if not at the very least hide away, the artifacts that had allowed Celestia to best her a thousand years ago back at their old castle near Ponyville. But Twilight Sparkle had led a group of six total and they managed to both retrieve the artifacts in time and summon their transcendental power to literally vaporize the evil out of Luna; expunging Nightmare Moon as a parasite from her host.

It was the most insane thing I’d ever heard which I still found myself believing. I mean, I still had very very withdrawn reservations as to how much of Celestia’s retelling of what went down really happened how she said it did.

It was kind of hard to believe that six normal ponies — even if one of them was the genius that helped me develop the Magic Engine — managed to defeat an entity in the same league as Celestia. But, at the same time, I found myself wanting to believe it was possible, because, really? If they could do it, I could see a point in trying to get stronger.

I might not be able to use mythical artifacts of the Pony race, but maybe I could Invent a similarly strong superweapon. It’d be almost entirely useless if I wasn’t competent enough to use it in a fight against beings that moved at supersonic speeds. But then again, I was a living RPG Character without a limit in sight as to how high my stats could be raised.

If Twilight and five other, let’s call them relatively normal, ponies could overcome a god-like entity, why would I not be able to follow suit?

Author's Note:

Oof, I try to make my chapters at least 1,500 words long and this one just barely managed to fall short of that. The next one will be a lot longer than normal to compensate for that; like ~2,500+ words long, excluding Status prompts/System messages.