• Published 10th Aug 2023
  • 564 Views, 376 Comments

They're home. - Nameless Narrator



After Canterlot, little changeling drones survived many threats on the surface, but nothing has ever been as dangerous as the deep, dark tunnels under the Badlands they live in. It's finally time they claimed the tunnels and made them their home.

  • ...
2
 376
 564

(A)Way (from) home: 3

With a final push down a snowy ramp, the two bat ponies, one changeling drone, and an overfilled cart leave the dark treeline behind them. 65536 takes a deep breath through its scarves and slowly lets it out in relief.

“I might actually make it,” says the drone and turns around to face the two Nightguards now openly escorting it and occasionally helping push it, “Mister Night Hunter, I’ll take it from here.”

“Are you sure? It’s dark, snowing, and there’s no road,” the broad bat pony looks around at the uninterrupted white sheet of snow spreading into the distance, “It’ll be a pain to pull the cart through all that.”

“Ah hah!” 65536 beams, or at least its face scarves move, “I got a thingy just for that which makes this part the easiest,” it climbs onto the cart and pulls out a long and thin package stuffed by its edge. When it unwraps the tarp, Gloom examines the four smooth planks with tips bending upwards which were inside.

“Are those skis?” she asks, genuinely impressed by the drone’s forethought.

“Yup!” 65536 nods and starts taking off the cart’s wheels without any tools.

“I’ve been thinking,” comments Night Hunter as he watches 65536 fiddle with wooden pegs and loose screws, cleverly designed to be easily replaceable without any tools, “Where did you get this cart? It’s an impressive level of ingenious design to be so easily assembled and repaired without even a hammer. You had a different one last winter, didn’t you?”

“Yup, I left that one to 99111 for parts. It designed this new one for me during my last visit as a present. It’s a very smart drone. Of course, we didn’t have any materials to build it in the hive, so I had to draw the plans on paper from memory back home and give those to a nice earth pony woodworker who has a shop in the mountainside quarter. It’s made entirely of wood reinforced with goop so that if anything breaks while I’m going through the forest I can always find the materials to fix it,” 65536 affixes the first ski to the bottom where the wheel used to be and moves onto the next spot. When Night Hunter raises the cart a little to ease 65536’s access, the drone adds, “Thank you.”

“Is that a greenhouse?” asks Gloom, squinting left towards a glass construction the size of a larger shed a short distance from the edge of the forest and a couple hundred pony lengths away from them, discernible only due to being the only lit up thing within sight, and even then it’s a sickly green shimmer making the bat pony slightly uneasy.

“Yup,” 65536 nods as it ceaselessly works on refitting the cart, “I heard that the Queen and Miss Gem did some talking regarding growing ingredients for Miss Gem’s work and the Queen arranged that greenhouse to be built earlier this year. 57999 was supposed to add tending to the plants inside in addition to working the poppy patch further east.”

“Ah,” Gloom’s voice turns apprehensive, “Is that where your friend who died on that trip two years ago used to work?”

Some semblance of heavy weight finally creeps into 65536’s tone when it replies, “36658, yes.”

Nothing else.

The following silence is only disturbed by the wind and endless scratching and clicking of 65536 finishing refitting ski number three and the crunching of snow as it moves to the final one.

“I was stupid to bring that up, sorry,” says Gloom after a while.

“What happened happened,” says 65536, “Besides, 36658 saved everyone else on that island, and there’s nothing a drone would want more than to help. It’s just…” the drone pauses, “Losing someone important is a weird thing. High Score, Mister Sharp, 36658. I often still feel like the same drone who left the hive because the Queen promised us we’d earn a bunch of love from those mythical creatures called ponies. We would know that every time we saw someone it could be the last time, and we were fine with it, that it was just how life worked. I don’t know why, but now it’s much more difficult to get over it,” it sighs, shaking its head, “Nevermind. It’s as 387 said and as Luna said about Mister Sharp - the important thing is that what they did lives on.”

Gloom pats the drone’s head as it resumes working. Seeing the drone in a way she would her own foal often makes her forget that it’s seen more death and dealt with more loss in its brief six years of life than she did in her… longer one. Don’t ask a lady her age.

As if on cue, when 65536 finishes refitting the cart a small figure becomes visible leaping through the snow from the direction of the greenhouse towards them. Gloom tenses up, same as Night Hunter, but they quickly relax when the incoming hopper gets closer and reveals itself to be another drone, this one wrapped in what looks like a mix of chewed off rags and a carpet, the remains of several cardboard boxes mashed together on its head, and… yes, those are two actual, heavily scratched and dented, metal bracers around its forelegs. Despite the mismatched and generally dishevelled look, the approaching drone is grinning from ear to ear until it stops nearby, its jaw dropping and eyes going wide while it examines the two bat ponies, namely the comparatively huge Night Hunter with a drawn-out:

“Whoooah!”

“Heya, 57999! I was wondering if I’d reach your hive link,” 65536 manages to finish loading both wheels onto the cart during the time of 57999 staring at the Nightguards in amazement and them at it with a mix of amusement and uncertainty. While their experience with drones is that they are generally friendly, their experience with changelings remaining loyal to the hive is… mixed, and neither Gloom nor Night Hunter want to do something which would get reported to Chrysalis herself as a diplomatic misstep.

“Woooow…” repeats 57999, still eyeing Night Hunter.

“That’s Mister Night Hunter, and that’s Miss Gloom,” 65536 walks over to the standing trio, “They’re Nightguards like me.”

With 65536 in view, 57999 finally snaps out of its reverie.

“Oh, right! Like you told us, umm, butt ponies!” when faced with a sudden frown from Night Hunter, it backs off, stuttering, “Wait no, what was the offishul name? Uhh, right! Testicles!” 57999 forces a now clearly nervous smile.

“Bat ponies and thestrals, 57999,” 65536 corrects it, and both Nightguards relax immediately, “Totally different words.”

“Ohhhh, goop…” 57999 backs off, scratching its head, “Sorry. My head doesn’t work all that well when I’m nervous and so far from everyone else. Too much experimenting with agonyslayers and other stuff, I think.”

“Wouldn’t this batch be miseryeradicators or something similar?” asks 65536.

“Nah,” 57999 shakes its head, “That was 36658’s thing. I like to keep it simple - head agonyslayers, leggo agonyslayers, and so on. I can make goop that you don’t gotta eat now too! It really heals, not just stops you from feeling bad. Uses up so much less love than normal healing even if it takes longer. It’s great for all the broken and crushed bits. Now to just figure out something for all the chomped off chunks.”

“Holy holes!” 65536 gasps, “That’s amazing! High Score would be proud and 36658 jealous.”

“Yup!” 57999 grins, finally in its territory again, “The Queen was so happy she scheduled 99874 and 99338 to take turns helping me! That means that if there are sticky biters around, one of us can go call for help while the other draws their attention. Working here is almost safe these days!” 57999 waves its forelegs and smacks its chest with one, “I even got all this to stay warm and it makes it harder for sticky biters to nibble on me. Tested on a medium one! My leggos have been a bit numb since, but I still got the right number of 'em,” 57999’s grin grows into a victorious smile.

Out of nowhere, Gloom leans closer and asks in a somewhat deranged tone: “Can I hug you?”

“Huh?” 57999 tilts its head and looks at 65536 and back at Gloom, “Is that a trick question? I can see you have all your hugging parts.”

“She means if she’s allowed to,” explains the guard drone, “Ponies who don’t know each other aren’t supposed to touch without asking.”

57999 gasps in horror.

“Why would I ever say no to a hug?!”

“I think that’s a yes, Miss Gloom,” 65536 chuckles, and 57999 finds itself squeezed by the bat pony mare like a tube of toothpaste. It wraps its forelegs around her as well and presses its head against her neck after pushing the cardboard ‘helmet’ away.

Night Hunter, however, looks into the distance before nudging 65536.

“It’s getting darker and I can feel the wind picking up. You’re up for a storm in a few hours at best. Are you sure you don’t want our help?”

65536 shakes its head.

“The big rule is - no unannounced visitors. The Queen was very specific about that one. Besides, freezy time is the safest for travelling through the Badlands because all the nasty gribblers are asleep. It’ll just be me and the storm and I got all the clothes Luna forced me to take with me so I should get to the hive by the morning just fine.”

“Then we won’t keep you,” Night Hunter sits down and pulls 65536 into a brief hug which the drone happily returns. When it’s over, Night Hunter calls out, “Gloom, we’re leaving!”

The mare breathes out heavily before letting go of 57999.

“Do your best to stay safe, little guy,” she boops its nose.

“Doing all I can to keep my bits attached and all the squishy stuff on the inside,” 57999 reports happily

“Are you coming with me, 57999?” asks 65536.

“Nope! I still gotta melt a bunch of snow and water the plants. I normally use a tunnel that leads back home, but do you want me to catch up while you’re still on the way and help?” it nods towards the overloaded cart.

“No, it’s fine. Pulling this through a storm is all just a part of the training,” 65536 waves at everyone and starts pulling the cart-sled again, “See you all later!”

“See ya, 65536! Bye, Miss Gloom. Bye, Mister Night Hunter!” 57999 turns around and hops away through the deep snow, back towards the greenhouse.

“They always get me,” Gloom mumbles when they’re out of ear shot, “Every time I hear any of them cheerfully talk about some horrible mistreatment or deadly danger they’ve been through, I just want to grab them to make sure it can’t happen ever again and I never want to let go.”

“That’s one of the reasons why you’re a top Nightguard, Gloom.”

With a jump, the two bat ponies take off into the air and quickly blend into the darkness.