• Published 27th Sep 2012
  • 4,124 Views, 59 Comments

Twilight Sparkle's Otherworldly Misadventure - ScrimpyMule



After a mishap with a new spell, Twilight Sparkle finds herself in a new place called.....Kansas?!

  • ...
8
 59
 4,124

A New Life

“SLOW DOWN!” John shouted, unable to control his temper or his voice. “You’re going to get us both killed!”

“Sorry!” Twilight replied, nervously.

“Don’t correct your speed by slamming on the break!”

“Sorry! Sorry!”

After two weeks of living with John, Twilight had finally worked up the courage to ask him to teach her how to drive. The concept of operating a vehicle had intrigued her since she had first ridden in one. She thought she had observed John enough to understand how everything was done. She was wrong.

They were on an ill-used dirt road several miles outside of John’s hometown. He had been unable to refuse her a driving lesson upon looking into her large, pleading eyes. He was, however, able to deny her a lesson on a main road where they might encounter the sheriff, or worse, cause a wreck. He had elected to take her out to a lesser-traveled area for her first lesson. After thirty minutes of Twilight being behind the wheel, they decided to call it a day. They stopped, exchanged places, and headed home.

“We’ll try again after I get home from work tomorrow”, John said.

“I don’t think I want to learn anymore”, Twilight responded.

“Well, two weeks ago you had no idea what a car even was. Taking that into consideration, you weren’t TOO terrible. It’s just like riding a bike, once you learn it simply becomes second nature.”

Out of the corner of his eye, John saw Twilight jerk her head in his direction. He turned to once again be confronted with those beautiful, purple, and irresistible eyes. He turned his attention back to the road and let out an exasperated sigh. “Fine.”

“Yes, thank you”, Twilight squealed.

When they arrived back home, John pulled his bike out from the garage. He then went inside and found his old bike helmet and helped her strap it on. After a little more thought, he went back inside and found his old elbow pads from his days of skating as a teen. He helped her strap those on as well. After more thought yet, he went inside again and retrieved his leather jacket and helped her remove the elbow pads. He helped her to refasten them after she had equipped the jacket. By the time he had deemed her ready to begin, she looked more suited for battle than riding a bicycle.

John began describing how to keep balance on a bicycle, deciding to forego getting her training wheels that might not even exist. He carefully described how to pedal, steer, shift gears, and brake. He then hopped on and rode around for several minutes, demonstrating how it was done. He dismounted and adjusted the seat for her height. He held the bike as she mounted and allowed her to take off. She got all of two feet before she fell, making him happy that he had made her wear all this safety equipment.

“Ow”, Twilight said, rubbing the arm she had landed on.

John helped her mount several more times, watching her fall off within ten feet of her take off point each time. Eventually, he realized that he needed to do more than just help her mount.

“Alright” John said. “This time I’m going to run alongside you and hold you up. Maybe this will help you learn balance.”

“How do I keep balance on this thing?” Twilight asked, losing her patience with the contraption

“You just have to try and keep yourself level until you get some speed built up. Once you build speed, balance just happens on it’s own.”

Once again, John helped Twilight mount the bike. This time, he grabbed the top bar with one hand and put the other hand on her back for support. He began to run with her as she began to pedal.

“Keep pedaling”, John instructed. “Faster.”

John went with her for a whole block and let go. He watched as she continued on for another block and a half without trouble. Suddenly, she noticed that he wasn’t there anymore and panicked. Suddenly devoid of all memory of what she needed to do, she lost control. She collided with a steep curb and was separated form her bike, landing on her back on somebody’s lawn. She picked herself up and waited for John, who ran the distance.

“Are you alright?” He asked, sounding less concerned than she thought he would be.

“I think so”, Twilight responded. “Why did you let go?”

“I was just there to help you get started. If I stay with you the whole time, you’ll never learn anything. Come on, let’s try again.”

“I think I’ve had enough for today.”

“No you haven’t. You just have to keep trying. Come on.”

John and Twilight continued for several more hours. She slowly began to understand the concept of riding a bike. By the time the sun went down, she had been riding for nearly half an hour without falling. They put the bike inside the garage and went into the house. John fixed tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, which had become Twilight’s favorite meal, to celebrate her achievement.

John lay in bed that night, unable to stop smiling. It wasn’t just what Twilight had done that had made him happy, but the fact that it had made her happy. He drifted to sleep that night with her wide and beautiful ear-to-ear smile vivid in his mind.

~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight Sparkle was alone in John’s house. She sat at the desk, looking at the laptop in silence. She had done it. After a full month of searching, she had finally done it. The moment she thought would never come had arrived. She had given up.

There was just no use fighting it anymore. She had been searching every day for over a month. As advanced as this world was, it just didn’t have the technology she needed to find a way back to Equestria. She sat at the computer, letting the tears flow freely.

John arrived home later that afternoon and made his way to the office, surprised not to find Twilight there where she usually was. He made his way into his bedroom and found her lying facedown in the pillows, sobbing. He walked over to her side and began rubbing her back.

“Hey, what’s the matter?” He asked.

“I-I-I give up”, Twilight responded through her tears.

“You gave up?”

“There’s just no point. We’ve been looking for a month and haven’t come up with anything. I just need to face it: I’m never going to get home.”

Instinctively, John sat down next to her and helped her sit up. He took her into his arms and held her tightly. They sat there for well over an hour while, sharing the broken heart and tears over the home and loved ones that Twilight would never see again.

Eventually, Twilight stopped crying. She simply sat in this man’s embrace. The man who had taken her in when she had no place to go and no idea of where she was or what to do. The man who had given her food, shelter, and clothing. The man who had done everything he could to help her get back to her own world and adapt to this one.

Eventually, John spoke. “I know you can’t get you back to your home in Equestria, but I can give you a home here. If you stay here with me, we’ll make a place for you in this world together. I promise I’ll always take care of you. Just stay with me.”

Twilight looked up at him and he looked down at her. Slowly, their heads drew closer together until their lips met in a kiss that sent chills down both of their spines. Time seemed to freeze around them, as they stayed lost in the moment. They had each other, and for the moment, nothing else mattered.