• Published 27th Sep 2012
  • 4,124 Views, 59 Comments

Twilight Sparkle's Otherworldly Misadventure - ScrimpyMule



After a mishap with a new spell, Twilight Sparkle finds herself in a new place called.....Kansas?!

  • ...
8
 59
 4,124

A Shocking Development

Twilight Sparkle stood in the room that had been granted to her, having woken up shortly before. Her mouth gaped open and her eyes were wide. She had known this new world was strange from the moment she had awoken the day before, but what she saw now was beyond anything she could have possibly been prepared for. She had been so exhausted the previous night that she hadn’t noticed them. There, upon the wall before her eyes, were two posters with her image. They bore the image of the form she was currently trapped in. Her hair was frazzled and she had a crazed look in her eyes in both of them. In one of them, she even had an occupied bird’s nest on her head.

Next to those two small posters were two more. They were both humanized. One was of a woman she didn’t recognize. The woman’s eyes were crooked and she had blonde hair. There was text on the poster that read, “Don’t like my name? Deal with it.” The other poster was what she recognized as a humanized Rarity standing over a boulder. The word “Mine” was written in red.

On the wall to her right, there were two more small posters that seemed to be Princess Luna in human form. On the outside face of the bedroom door, there was a somewhat larger poster of what seemed to be a human Fluttershy. She was standing in a doorway, bruised and dirtied, wearing a dress that was not unlike the one she had worn at the Grand Galloping Gala nearly two years before. This poster bore the text, “You’re going to love me!”

On the wall opposite of her two portraits was the largest, and the strangest, of all the posters. This one was of Twilight, Spike, and their friends. They were all ponies in this image, except Spike of course. They were in the library and Twilight was trying to read a book despite the ruckus that her friends were making in the background. Had she not been so confused by her current circumstances, she might find this one rather humorous.

What sort of witchcraft was this? Was John some sort of sorcerer? She had so many questions.

John walked into the room and spoke before realizing how distraught she was. “I’m getting ready to start breakfast. Do you eat eggs?”

Twilight simply looked into his eyes with fear in her own.

“What’s the matter?” John asked.

Twilight responded to his question with a question of her own, gesturing to the posters as she asked it. “What is all this?”

“What do you mean?”

“You have a poster of my friends and I. You have more posters of ponies I know, but they’re human. Who are you? And who is that?” She pointed toward the poster with the blonde-haired woman.

“That’s Derpy”, John answered.

“Who?” She had never even heard that name before. She had never so much as seen a pony who had even remotely resembled that woman.

John simply stared at her with a query look for what seemed like an eternity. “There’s something you need to see”, he said. He turned and left the room.

Twilight followed him to his living room and watched him pick up a strange stick that was laden with buttons of sorts. He pointed the stick at a rectangular object near the wall and pressed a button. Suddenly, a screen on the rectangle came to life and revealed two humans arguing over a matter that she was too late to identify. John pressed several more buttons, causing the screen to respond in various ways. Before long, a sweet voice began telling a familiar story as familiar images began to appear. The tale was of the rise of Nightmare Moon and how Princess Celestia had used the Elements of Harmony to banish her to the moon. Twilight found herself struggling to stand.

Suddenly, Twilight appeared on the screen, having just read the story that the voice was telling. The real Twilight’s legs seemed to disappear from under her and she collapsed to her knees. She watched for several more minutes as an alternate version of scenes from her own life played out before her very eyes. John must have decided that she had seen enough, because he pressed a button that returned the screen to blackness.

Twilight tried to speak, but she had trouble finding words or breath. Eventually, she was able to talk coherently again. “What was that?”

Twilight did her best to listen as John did his best to explain the concept of television and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. By the time he was done, Twilight was sobbing uncontrollably.

~~~~~~~~

John studied this woman who was crying on her knees in his living room. He no longer held even slight suspicions of her being a liar who intended on taking advantage of him. Despite this, he was becoming more and more perplexed by her by the minute. The first thing that had stumped him was her inability to recognize his Derpy poster. Even if she was a fan of the show whom had somehow convinced herself that she was the real Twilight Sparkle, how could she not know who Derpy was? On top of that, how could she be so surprised to see posters of Twilight Sparkle and her friends? Most of all, how could a crazed fan be so shocked to see the show? Certainly, that wasn’t the first time she had seen an episode. None of this was adding up.

John didn’t feel sorry for Twilight. He felt pure anguish for her. His heart ached for what she was going through and he knew that he had to do whatever possible to help her get through it.

Acting on instinct, he got down on his knees next to her and wrapped her in his arms. She buried her face in his chest and he held her, doing the only thing he could think of to provide comfort. At that moment, he decided to play along with the stranger who was soaking his torso in tears. He still didn’t believe she was Twilight Sparkle, or at least he didn’t think he did. But if he were act as though he believed it, it may lead to helping her rediscover who she really was.

After nearly an hour, Twilight calmed down. He helped her stand and sit down in his recliner. He then took a seat on the couch to her left, making the decision to keep silent until she spoke.

“Am I really just a fictional character from a TV show?” she asked.

“No”, John replied. “You’re here and you’re real, which leads me to believe that the place you came from is real too.”

Twilight stared down at the floor, deep in thought for several moments before speaking again. “The show wasn’t the exact same as the life I remember. The scenery was a bit different and the voices sounded nothing like Spike and the others. The dialect wasn’t really the same either.”

“Are humans known of where you come from?” John asked.

“There are stories and books about them, but they don’t exist in my world. They’re usually described as masters of Science, but even with all the research I’ve done, I could never have imagined the things I’ve seen so far. Why?”

“I have a theory”, John said. “It’s not without it’s flaws, though. What if our worlds are connected through some of their denizens? If certain beings from each world could conceive of the other world, that would explain the TV show in my world and the stories in yours. The concepts would probably be warped over time in the minds of those who are connected or by the process of turning the ideas into something tangible. That would explain the lack of precision on both counts.”

Twilight mulled this over for a while. The idea was not inconceivable, and it offered an explanation for the inaccurate interpretations between the two worlds.

Her thoughts returned to the task that she needed desperately to complete. “I need to find a way to get my magic back so I can find a way home.”

“I don’t think you’ll be able to get your magic back in this world. There’s no magic here.”

Twilight felt like her heart had been ripped from her chest. “How am I supposed to get home?”

“Well, we have science and technology. That would probably be your best bet. The only problem is, I’m no scientist. I wouldn’t even know where to begin.”

“Are there any scientists who could help me?” Twilight asked.

“Trust me, you don’t want to go there”, John replied. “If you tried to explain your situation to anyone else, you would be locked up in a mental institution, for sure.”

“What if I could prove who I am and where I’m from?”

“That would be even worse. They would most likely take you to a lab to study you, or worse, use you to try and find a way to Equestria. Trust me, we’re better off doing this alone.”

Twilight buried her head in her hands and began to cry again. John retrieved his laptop from his briefcase and set it up on the kitchen table. He called Twilight in and began the long process of explaining the Internet to her. He had intended to take her clothes shopping, but that could wait one more day. Right now they had work to do.