• Published 27th Sep 2012
  • 4,124 Views, 59 Comments

Twilight Sparkle's Otherworldly Misadventure - ScrimpyMule



After a mishap with a new spell, Twilight Sparkle finds herself in a new place called.....Kansas?!

  • ...
8
 59
 4,124

Beginning Anew

The first thing that registered to John was pain. He was starting to come to, albeit slowly. He felt as though he had been run over by a train. He wouldn't have gone so far as to say his whole body was in agony, but he was certainly in substantial pain all over. His headache was the worst part. His head was pounding like gongs and the sounds of the chirping birds, although beautiful, were no help.

Soon, he realized that his body felt different, as well. He only pondered on this momentarily before remembering the circumstances that had brought him to this. He realized that all of the pain and the difference he felt in his body were the result of the anatomical overhaul he had received upon the dissipation of the portal between his world and the one he was now in. Slowly, he allowed his other sensations to return to him.

He realized that there was a blunt object being run gently through his hair and across his face. He also noticed a similar sensation resting on his left arm, or rather, what had once been his left arm. It didn't take long for him to realize that it was his wife, sitting beside him, gracing him with her heavenly touch. Almost immediately, he recognized her aroma. Despite her having returned to her original form, she still bore the same beautiful smell.

Before, he had held no intention of even attempting to open his eyes any time soon. The realized presence of his wife, however, had almost immediately changed his mind. He began working his eyes open. The introduction of light brought intense pain to his eyes and doubled the gongs in his brain. He closed his eyes again after having barely cracked them open. He continued trying to get his eyes open over the course what seemed like an eternity. Each time, he grew more used to the light and the pain eased slightly. Finally, he managed to get used to the light and open his eyes fully.

He observed that he was lying on his back in a bright room. He guessed that it must be guest quarters in the castle. He turned his head left and felt more pain as he silently struggled to regain his breath. He had always thought that Twi had been pretty on the show, but the creature that now sat before him was beyond comparison to anything in the world he had come from. She was looking down at him, wearing the most beautiful smile he had ever seen. He had seen her beam from ear-to-ear before, but this small grin was more radiant than any other smile she had produced before. It was the contentedness, the sheer level of happiness that had not been present that made it so much more beautiful. He knew that would gladly suffer all of this pain every day for the rest of his life if he could just wake up to this sight every morning. All the pain he was in was suddenly made worth it.

"You're finally awake," Twi said with relief in her voice.

"How long have I been out?" John asked.

"A couple of days. You had us all worried for a little bit. I was beginning to fear the worst."

"How long were you out?"

"Princess Celestia said it was about half a day. I had a much harder time of it this time than I did when I came to Earth. I guess that the transformation from pony to human isn't as traumatizing as the other way around. I guess I didn't suffer as much as you did either because I had already been a pony or because I had already experienced a transformation."

"I guess that makes sense. I'm just glad you didn't have to go through the same pain that I did."

Twi bent over and kissed his lips, softly. The sensation he got was the same, yet somewhat different. The chill that ran down his spine was the same, but it was a different spine. The lips that kissed were different, but the love expressed in the kiss was the same. He relished it for the short time that it lasted and did his best to hide his chagrin when she pulled away.

The perfect medicine, he thought. He went to put a hand to his pounding head, faster than he should have, and he immediately regretted it. "Ouch!"

"Be careful," Twi lightly scolded, trying not to giggle. "Remember, you don't have soft hands anymore. You have hard hooves."

"Yeah," John said, rubbing his forehead. "I'll have to try and keep that in mind. Have you seen your family yet?"

"Not yet," Twi responded. "They don't even know that I'm back. I thought it might be best if I had you with me, seeing as how I can't explain where I've been or what I've been doing without mentioning you."

John tried to sit up so as to make his way out of bed. "I guess we had better get going, then."

Twi put her hooves on his chest and softly pushed him back down. "You're not leaving this bed until you're feeling better."

"But aren't you eager to see them?"

"I haven't seen them in three and a half years. I can wait a couple more days. It won't hurt them to wait a little longer either."

John carefully nodded in submission. "Alright."

"Are you hungry?"

Suddenly, there was a loud rumbling from John's stomach. He didn't need to open his mouth to answer that question.

Twi giggled. "I'll have someting brought to us."

She left for a few minutes and then returned and helped John sit up in the bed. One of Princess Celestia's servants brought Twi and John each a daisy sandwich, which was apparently a delicacy in Equestria. John immediately decided that he wasn't hungry anymore.

"Honey, you haven't eaten in two days," Twi said. "You need to eat something."

"I'm good, thanks," John responded.

"John Rickard, eat this sandwich or so help, I will use magic to shove it down your throat!"

John wasn't fully sure that she would stand well on her threat, but he knew than to test her. Slowly, he lifted the sandwich to his mouth and took a very small bite. He was pleasantly surprised, it was actually pretty good. He decided that his taste buds must have changed along with his body. He had eaten a flower pedal once as a child and had not been impressed.

John and Twi were just finishing their meal when Princess Celestia came into the room. "How are you doing, John?"

"Well, I'm alive," John said. "I guess that's a good sign."

"He should be ready to begin walking lessons in a day or two, Princess," Twi reported.

That statement took John by surprise, but then he remembered his circumstances. Walking on four hooves was very different from walking on two feet. He was going to have to relearn just about everything. There's something to look forward to, he thought sarcastically. He had noticed, upon rubbing his head, that he didn't have a horn. He couldn't feel anything resembling wings on his back, either. This meant that he had no handicaps. Luckily, he had Twi to help him through the transition.

"Good," the Princess said. "He has a lot of ground to cover before he's to the point of fitting in. I hope you get to feeling well soon, John."

She turned to leave, but turned back when John called her name.

"Princess Celestia, if there are any measures that can be taken to make sure that spell is never used again, I suggest you do it."

"What?" Twi protested. "But there are so many things to learn from it. I think it can be controlled, we just need to-"

"No, Twilight," Princess Celestia interrupted. "John's right, it's too dangerous." She looked back to John. "I can create a notification spell that will alert me when the spell is used, but that's all I can do. Twilight and I will get started in the morning. For now, both of you need to get some rest." With that, she turned and left.

Twi hung her head in resignation. She knew better than to try and argue. It wouldn't do any good. Besides, despite all the useful applications the spell had, she agreed with them. It was too dangerous. She crawled into bed with John and they both drifted off to sleep.

~~~~~

Today was the day. After nearly three days of lying in bed, John was finally strong enough to move. He had crawled on hands and knees before, but that had always been in an awkward fashion and this was going to start off even more awkward. With Twi's help, he slowly made his way to the mirror in the room to have his first good look at himself. When they finally got there, he was far more surprised than he had expected he'd be.

He had already known that he had a light brown coat and a dark brown mane and tail. His hair-style was still the same, as were his hazel eyes. He was somewhat taken aback when he discovered that his flank was bare. Upon further contemplation, he decided that he shouldn't be too surprised, as he had not yet discovered his special talent in this world. He decided that resolving this issue would not be difficult, as he had already discovered his special talent in his own world: history. That was where he would start.

"We should start getting ready," Twi said. "Princess Celestia has already contacted Cadence and Shining Armor. If they haven't already arrived at Mom and Dad's house, they will soon."

John nodded in agreement and they made their way to the bathroom, where Twi helped him get showered and ready. This was another thing that would take time to grow accustomed to. Showering without hands was more difficult than he had anticipated. When they were fully prepared, they set off toward their destination. It would take a very long time, but Twi was more relieved by this than anything else. She was not looking forward to the questions that would be thrown at her or the explanations that she would have to provide. She looked to John as they awkwardly made their way through the streets. She was ever the more grateful to have him as a source of strength. She was going to need all the help she could get for this.