• Published 27th Dec 2011
  • 3,174 Views, 71 Comments

Chaotica - Evowizard25



Discord is back and he's got an army with him this time.

  • ...
10
 71
 3,174

Part 8: Some Preperations

The castle halls were silent, as Captain Courage walked along the corridors. He took his time as he made his way to the new cadets in his charge. He had heard of these so called Chimera, or Xenosians as Celestia called them. When the princess ordered him to work together with these ponies, he had scoffed at the very idea. They were barbaric, to say the least. The tales that had been spread about them varied. Some said they were horrifying, blood thirst monsters that loved killing. Others said they were psychic and could read minds. He shook his head. 'Recruits these days will believe anything.' Still, if any of those stories were true, he'd have his work cut out for him.

As he turned the corner, a young unicorn carrying a couple saddle bags full of scrolls bumped into him. The younger pony gave a small cry of surprise and jumped backwards, falling on his rump. A few scrolls flew out of the bags. "Sorry about that." He smiled sheepishly.

The captain of the guard eyed the newcomer. He was blue, with a red mane. His cutie mark on his side was a black pen running across a parchment. "It is I who should be sorry." Captain Courage said. "My mind was elsewhere."

"Yes, that happens to the best of us." The unicorn started levitating the scrolls back into his bags.

"Do you need my assistance?"

The unicorn shook his head. "No, no." He gathered the last one and put it away. "There." He turned to him. "Oh, by the way, have you seen Captain Courage?"

"Yes."

The unicorn smiled. "Great. Where is he?"

"He's standing in front of you."

The unicorn went silent, his bottom jaw fell. It took him a moment to process this. "I'm so, so sorry, captain." He said, with a jittering tone. "If I had known…"

The captain raised a hoof to silence him. "No need to apologize." He told him. "Now, what is it that you needed to tell me?"

"Ah, yes." The unicorn said. "I was ordered by the Princess to take you to the new recruits."

"I was already on my way over to meet them."

The unicorn chuckled nervously. "Yeah, but not just you." The captain raised an eyebrow.

Just then, a well dressed, short graying brown haired, human came walking around the corner. "Oh, there you are, Jotted Down. I was wondering where you ran off to."Though the captain had heard of these humans as well, he couldn't help but gawk at 's brown eyes held much wisdom but humility as well. The human, male he presumed from the voice and facial structure, was quite tall. Maybe, a head taller than him. This, of course, didn't intimidate him the slightest. He'd dealt with larger creatures before. Still, he was astounded that the tales were true. "Is something wrong?" The human asked.

"No." The captain of the guard answered. "I just thought you humans were just some tall tale."

The human chuckled. "I say, that would be something." He said. "I'd have thought the same thing, if I was told of talking, multi-colored ponies."

"Touché." Captain Courage said, eyeing him.

"Yes, now if you will excuse me, Jotted Down was escorting to see this Captain Courage, I believe was." The human stroked his chin, looking to the unicorn to answer.

Jotted Down nodded. "Yes, and I'd be happy to introduce you two." He then pointed to captain. "Captain Courage, meet Nicholas Mycroft, the British ambassador to Equestria." Captain Courage inclined his head. "And Ambassador Mycroft, meet Courage, Captain of the Royal Guard." Jotted Down declared.

"Pleased to meet you." Nicholas nodded his head Courage's way.

"Likewise."

"Well, it's good to see you two are getting along." Jotted Down smiled. "Now, if you two will kindly follow me, I'll show you to the training grounds." He started trotting off.

The other two followed close behind. The captain kept his gaze forward, fighting the urge to look at the strange creature beside him. "So captain," The Ambassador started. "Do you have much field experience?"

"Of course," Captain Courage said, with much pride. "I personally led a division against an enraged black dragon."

"Dragon eh." Nicholas rubbed his chin. "That does sound impressive, but I wonder how you'll fare against this Discord fella I've been hearing about. They say he's a god."

The captain scoffed. "Don't take everything you hear to heart." He told him. "He's nothing but ill tempered beast. I would be glad to end his pathetic existence, but the fair princess has forbidden such acts."

"Honestly, I don't see why you just kept him around." Nicholas stated. "If he found himself in my country, we would have had him shot."

Courage sighed. "Sometimes, I envy you humans. That would be easier, but I must do as the Princess commands." The ambassador nodded.

It didn't take them long to reach the grounds. They looked down from the balcony and saw the newly turned Chimera, about a couple dozen of them. After the first contact with the new world, Celestia had issued an order to 'save' as many of the Chimera as they could. From what he had heard from field officers, they had taken many losses in order to fulfill the Princess's wish. 'Damned nuisance these Chimera are. What does the Princess see in them anyways to make them more important than my fellow guards?'

The Chimera ponies were fighting and squabbling amongst themselves. Biting, shoving, and all that sort. He'd never seen any pony act so…animalistic in all his days. It irked him, to say the least. His whole life was built around order and stability, the exact opposite of these creatures. 'Why are they on our side again?' He thought, mentally commenting to himself that they would be ideal soldiers for Discord's army, instead of his own. But alas, the Princess had ordered him to train these new recruits and he would never disobey an order, especially from her. There were even a few human soldiers, holding their personal hand cannons that he had heard about. They all had a brown colored uniform of sorts. He thought it odd that they didn't wear any armor, but he wasn't going to go question the humans about that kind of stuff.

Nicholas scoffed at the sight. "Barbarians." He commented. "These creatures don't deserve a second chance such as this." The captain was taken aback that the human was thinking the exact same thing, but didn't show it.

"Well, it was the Princess's direct order to do so." Jotted Down said.

Nicholas waved a hand in the air to dismiss him. "If she knew what those things did back in my world, she wouldn't be so keen on helping them."Jotted Down went silent. The captain guessed it was out of fear, since he could lose his job or worse if he upset the human ambassador. The three of them walked down the stairs on the side of the balcony and then went on into the court yard itself.

A couple of the human soldiers were shouting orders and trying to keep the peace, but the Chimera ponies weren't listening. They were too busy fighting amongst themselves. One of the human's walked up to them and saluted him. 'Well, at least the humans know how to do it properly.' "The recruitsare here and accounted for, sir."

Captain Courage raised an eyebrow. 'Hardly.'"Then, tell them to fall in."

The human nodded and then turned to Chimera. "You heard the captain, fall in." The Chimera ponies ignored them and continued bickering. Then, a couple of the humans fired a couple bullets into the air. The ponies became silent, the sound causing angst and awe. The captain had witnessed cannons being fired before, but those were just large, cumbersome metal tubes. They hardly had any accuracy. He half expected the bullets to come falling down on top of some unfortunate pony. 'I'll just have to talk with those humans later.' "He said, fall in."

The Chimera ponies stood at attention and formed perfect lines. A couple of them were growling or swearing under their breath, but he ignored them. He'd dealt with many recruits like this before. 'Well, those troops weren't monsters put into pony bodies.' "My name is Courage. I will be your commanding officer. Anything I say will be heeded and obeyed. Is that understood?" The recruits nodded in unison. "I see you all have made yourselves welcome." The Chimera ponies sneered at him. "I know you are just getting used to your new bodies, but bear with me. We have much to go over and little time to do so." He started strolling in front of the recruits. "You have been selected to ward off an attack by the scum of chaos himself. It is your duty to fight off his attempts of taking Canterlot. This fight is to be swift and decisive. You are not to harm or kill anyone." The Chimera ponies started yelling protests and curses. "Princess Celestia commands you to uphold her words."

At the mention of Celestia, the Chimera went silent. With the other tales, he had heard about their sheer devotion to the Princess. If the tales were to be believed, they thought her as their creator and fair ruler. They would do anything for her. One of them raised their right hoof. "Hail Celestia."

The other chimera ponies followed suite. "Hail Celestia!" They cried.

The captain found their salute odd, but paid it no heed. He had his say and now the next part could start. "Roman salutes, how peculiar." Nicholas commented.

"Roman?" Jotted Down asked.

"They were a mighty empire that ruled hundreds of years ago." The ambassador explained. He turned to the captain. "Were they taught to salute like that?"

The captain shook his head. "No. They seemed to have picked it up on their own."

"Hmmm," Nicholas seemed to be deep in thought. "And your Princess ordered them not to kill?"

Captain Courage nodded. "Yes," He said. "This engagement is to be non-lethal."

"Yet, you are fighting the supposed spirit of chaos." Nicholas questioned. "Wouldn't it be more logical to use lethal force against such a foe?"

"It would, but that stands against the Princess's code." Captain Courage said.

The ambassador inclined his head. "Well, I can't argue with the princess, now can I?"

"No, you can't." The captain said, casting a small glare his way. He already detested the human. No one questioned the princesses. Especially, not some foreign creature, ambassador or not. Still, he remained silent, focusing on his own training sessions in the guard. 'Never question a superior officer or dignitary.' That didn't mean he had to like him, though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twilight was picking up bits of food from her carpet. A small duster and broom were floating in the air, with a purple aura around them. She scowled as she thought of those unruly ruffians, and Pinkie Pie, inside her library. 'Especially Discord.' She thought, bitterly remembering the spirit. She hated him more than anything. 'If I ever get my hooves on him, he'll live to regret hurting my friends…or making me dance the Can-Can.'

"Twilight." She heard Rarity's voice. "Are you home?"

"Yes," Twilight responded, while still cleaning up. Spike was asleep, so she had taken it upon herself to clean up everything by herself. 'Those jerks wouldn't even let him get any sleep.' Finally, she cleaned up the last spot of crumped up papers. "You can come in now."

Rarity walked in and smiled at her. "Oh, it's so good to see you, darling." She said, her face showed concern. "I mean, after your ordeal with that horrid creature and his ruffians, you deserve some support."

"That's very thoughtful, but I think I got everything straightened out." Twilight said, putting up her cleaning equipment.

Rarity got right up in her face. "But Twilight, Discord came into you house and he has Pinkie Pie. Do you know what he could be doing to her?"

"I think Pinkie went with him willingly." Twilight said.

"What?" Rarity pulled back. "But, he's evil."

"Not evil." They could hear Discord's voice.

Twilight sighed. She didn't know how to tell her friends about Pinkie's betrayal. 'Why would she do that? She just let him enchant me, without a word in my defense.' "I'll send a note to Celestia once Spike wakes up. Hopefully, she knows what's going on." Rarity nodded.

Just then, Rainbow Dash flew in threw the door. "Where is he?" She landed beside Twilight. "I have a mind to break his nose."

"Now, hold your horse." Applejack trotted inside. Fluttershy walked in behind her. "We don't even know where he is."

"Well, we'll just have to go looking for him." Rainbow Dash started hovering off the ground. "I have a few new moves I'd love to test out."

"Girls." Twilight said. "Let's not be too hasty."

At that moment, Ditzy Doo came flying in the doorway. She nearly crashed into Rarity, but stopped right short of her. Rarity let out a relieved breath. "Derpy," Rainbow Dash said, calling her by her nickname. "What are you doing here?"

Ditzy smiled and pulled out an envelope from her knapsack. "I brought you a letter."

Twilight took it, using her magic. "Why thank you Ditzy." She stopped for a moment. "Hey, aren't you on Discord's side?"

Ditzy started to sweat. "I have to go feed my muffins. See you later." She flew out of the building, at top notch speed.

"Wait," Rainbow Dash said. "Derpy's working for Discord?" She started to laugh. "Oh, he'll lose for sure."

Rarity harrumphed. "Why must you be so rude to her?"

Dash shrugged. "It's nothing personal."

Twilight ignored her friends little spat. She opened it up and read it out loud.

/Dear Twilight Sparkle,

I regret to inform you that Discord has broken free of his imprisonment. He seems to have learned from his previous endeavor and enlisted other trouble makers to his cause, including your friend and fellow Element of Harmony, Pinkie Pie. I need you to come to Canterlot immediately. Don't worry about the traveling arrangements; I've already taken care of them. You're escorts will be there shortly.

Sincerely,

Celestia

P.S. The Celestial Inquisition. /

Twilight raised an eyebrow. "Why would she send them?" She asked herself out loud. "They are a bunch of goofballs."

"Let me see that." Rainbow Dash said, taking the letter away from her. "Say, I didn't expect The Celestia Inquisition to show up here."

Just then, a bright light flashed, and dramatic music, and there stood, in the middle of the library, three stallions. All of them were wearing gold robes and had pendants of Celestia's cutie mark. They were all tan colored and had brown manes. The three stallions were one of each different pony race. "Nobody expects the Celestial Inquisition." The unicorn one with the large hat said. He had a mustache, which didn't help at all make him threatening. "Our chief weapons are…"

"Fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to Celestia." Twilight read them off. She had heard them so many times.

The unicorn eyed her. "How come you knew about that?" He looked at her more intensely. "Twilight Sparkle. Is that you?" She nodded. He smiled brightly and hugged her. "Oh, it's been years."

"I'm glad to see you too, Fervent." Twilight smiled and hugged back.

He pulled back. "My, you've grown into a beautiful mare." Fervent commented. "I bet the stallions line up just to see you."

Twilight blushed. "Stop it."

"Uh Twi," Applejack started, rather confused by the newcomers and the little scene unfolding. "Who're these ponies?"

"Oh, this is Fervent, the head of the Celestial Inquisition." Twilight said, getting beside him. "He helped me around Canterlot."

Fervent shook his head. "I never saw a more studious filly in my whole life." He said. "She wouldn't come out of that library. I had to drag her away every single time she had to practice her magic."

"So, you knew Twilight back then?" Rarity asked.

"Sure did." Fervent said. "She was my favorite pupil. It's a shame you didn't consider the Inquisition for your career. You would have made a fine addition to our ranks."

"Pupil?" Fluttershy asked, but shrank back when he looked at her.

"Eyup," Fervent puffed his chest out. "The Princess couldn't be with little Twilight here all the time, so I took it upon myself to help her out. I taught her a thing or two. Though, she couldn't perform teleportion spells."

"Actually, I managed to pull it off." Twilight said. "It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be."

Fervent ruffled her hair with his hoof. "That's my girl." He then turned to the other two. "Boys, this here is Twilight."

The two inquisitors bowed. "It is an honor to meet you, carrier of the Element of Magic." They said.

Twilight blushed and looked away. "You don't really have to kneel."

"Oh, that's just formalities." Fervent explained. "But enough of this, tell me about you. I've heard such thrilling tales about your adventures. Defeating Nightmare Moon, Discord, and all sorts of creatures." He sniffed and wiped a tear from his eye. "I can't begin to describe how proud I am."

Twilight touched his shoulder. "Now, now." She soothed him. "Let's not start that up again."

Fervent shook his head. "You're right. There is much work to be done." He looked over to his cohorts and then to her friends. "Now, gather your friends around and stay close. Teleportion spells are very tricky to pull off." He looked to Twilight. "I think a little assistance is needed."

Twilight smiled brightly at her. Oh, how she missed her old mentor. She occasionally thought of visiting him, but she never had the time to do so. 'Or so I've told myself.' And now, she got to show him how powerful she had become. She was down right giddy. "Of course."

"Splendid." Fervent's horn started glowing, powering up his spell. Twilight's started glowing as well, matching his in harmony. It didn't take them long to sync their spells up and transport them.