• Published 28th Mar 2023
  • 796 Views, 81 Comments

Rebirth of Magic: Izzytastic! - JimmyHook19



The life and times of a unicorn who thought outside the box.

  • ...
7
 81
 796

When the Last Eagle Flies

The sun rose the next morning, and I did as a friend should. Sunny had begged me not to leave her that night, and I didn't. I stayed with her in the tent the entire night to ensure she was OK. She did eventually return to sleep of some sort, but I chose to stay in case the nightmare began again.

But we both popped out of the tent as the sun rose upon Equestria. Seeing the sun's rays cast across the land light a golden beam was absolutely beautiful, and seemed to restore Sunny's spirit.

"You know Izzy, there are some things worth celebrating about this place," she said.

"I know! This sunrise is soooo pretty!" I said.

I saw Sunny smile. "Look at that. The sun rises over Equestria, and shows us the sheer wonder of this land." She paused. "And we're the only humans to have ever witnessed it in the flesh, so to speak. The others have only seen it through a screen."

I heard the sound of noise, and Hitch, Pipp, and Misty pulled themselves out of their tents. "That was the worst night's sleep I've ever had," Pipp complained. "Was that mattress filled with rocks?"

"Not to my knowledge," I said. "Now then, Sunny, weren't you going to cook us breakfast?"

Sunny looked bewildered. "How? I don't have a..."

She trailed off as I placed a grill in front of her. "Here you go!"

"Izzy, how were you carrying a grill?" she asked.

"I can carry anything!" I said. "Pop it in Hammerspace and you can access it at any time!"

"A shame you can't access a way of un-screwing up this situation," Pipp complained.

Hitch looked at us. "Is she always like this?"

"Maybe?" I ventured. "Misty spent more time with her."

Misty was now next to the grill as well, and looked a bit upset. "Guys, shall we just eat? The sooner we get moving, the better."

Hitch put one of his front legs around her shoulder. "We need to work together to get out of here. The sooner we get those crystals put back together, the sooner we can get home."

That struck a chord with me, and as such I looked to Sunny. Before I could say 'two shakes of a pony's tail', Sunny was already at work and busy cooking something for us to east before we got on our way.

And it was delicious. Sunny was a surprisingly skilled cook- not that there's anything wrong with microwaved meals, of course. They were how I'd eaten for a remarkable amount of my journeys across Equestria, after all.

After we had eaten and had tea and coffee to drink before setting off, we packed up the campsite and placed the tents into storage before we set off on our journey. Our journey quickly took us down from the mountainside and into new terrain, not too dissimilar to that I had previously wandered across when my journey had begun all that time ago.

We were soon roaming across beautiful green fields with the sun shining, plants sitting there with purpose, and magical, bright light. Before I realised what I was doing I was happily cantering through the field, whooping and hollering once more. The mission had temporarily left my mind, and I was simply soaking up the wonder of being in Equestria.

This didn't sit too well with some of my colleagues, who seemed to be heading in other directions. Misty seemed to largely be keeping herself to herself, and seemed reluctant to talk even after I had tried to break the ice. Pipp, on the other hand, wasn't happy at all, based on all the shouting. I couldn't make out the words, but something told me she didn't like Sunny very much at that moment.

So I tried my luck with Hitch, who seemed a bit glum as we trotted along. "Hey buddy! Why are you looking so down?"

Hitch looked at me. "Why are you so cheerful?"

"Because it's a sunny day and the sun it out?"

Hitch shook his head. "It's hard to be cheerful in a time like this. I'm far from home, in an alien environment, with no allies to speak of apart from a bunch of cartoon characters from a children's movie!" He stopped when he realised what he had said. "I've said too much, haven't I?"

Hitch was also from another world? YAY! "Another one?" I asked. "Where were you from?"

"Sorry?" Hitch asked. "I just said you guys are fiction where I'm from. So where does it- wait a moment. You're not saying that..."

"Yep!" I said, dancing round him. "From another world too! Carried in on a wave of glitter!"

"That beats a car crash, I guess," Hitch commented. "But if I'm here, and you're here, and we're both former humans, than how many other ponies are former humans."

I grinned. "Sunny, Zipp, and Misty definitely are. I'm not sure about Pipp, though. She might be, or might be not. I don't know. Need to do more looking."

"That certainly makes me feel less lonely," Hitch admitted. "Come on. We'd best be getting some speed up whilst we still have light."

"LOOK!" I cried. "The Tree of Harmony!"

Sitting in the distance was a big, pink tree, its branches looming over the land and casting quite the spell upon all who looked upon it.

"That is quite something," Misty said calmly. "It's really pretty."

"Interesting choice of words," Sunny said.

I grinned. "Know what this means? It means what the Mane 6 did wasn't in vain!"

"Of course it isn't!" Pipp said. "What they did mattered during their lives, and they provide an example for others to follow." She looked puzzled as we looked at her. "What? Zipp told me all of you were former humans."

"Lucky guess," Hitch admitted, as we continued on our way. We still had a lot of ground to cover before night fell, and we couldn't afford to waste time as much as I wanted to soak up the scene.


"Come on, Hitch! Sit with us!" Misty called, as I got a campfire going.

Hitch grumbled his way over and sat down. "Alright. At least knowing that there are other people in my situation makes things a little easier on me. Possibly not on you guys, but it's comforting to know I'm not alone."

Sunny took a map out and looked it. "Well, not far to go now," she said. "Next stop, Bridlewood. We'll put the three crystals together, bring magic back, and hopefully fix the world while we're at it."

Misty spoke up. "You do remember that in the movie that putting the crystals together at that point didn't work?"

"I have seen the film, remember?" Sunny replied. "But they only had two of them. All three might do the trick." She then glanced over to me. "What's wrong, Izzy?"

"Something Hitch said to me has got me thinking. He said the sooner we get this over we can go home. But I don't think I want to."

"You don't want to go back to Bridlewood?" Sunny asked, confused.

"No. I mean I wouldn't want to go back to the human world, even if I could. My old life was so dull, and I was unhappy. Being here and going on this adventure has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. As Izzy, I've never felt more comfortable in my own skin. Even if things aren't going to plan."

"That's true," Sunny said. "Being in Equestria is a dream come true for me too. But we can have our world's magic back, and things can go back to how they were!"

"How can we when so much has gone wrong?" I asked. "How is there any hope left?"

Sunny sighed at me and looked over the campfire. "I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn’t even be here. But we are. Do you remember the old stories?"

"Which ones?"

"The old stories we used to be told as kids, or foals I guess. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why." Sunny paused. "But I think, Izzy, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something."

"What was that?" I asked.

"That there’s some good in this world, Izzy… and it’s worth fighting for.”

Hitch looked at me. "Did you just quote Lord of the Rings?"

I smiled at Sunny. For such a young mare she does have surprising depths of wisdom.

Author's Note:

So yeah.... the Tree of Harmony does show up...

And of course... Sunny does quote the following from Lord of the Rings. :)