• Published 25th Mar 2023
  • 1,556 Views, 110 Comments

Yugioh Defenders of Harmony - MechaTomX



A young teenager will stand out in the game of Duel Monsters, with the help of his friends, he will face great challenges, such as the threat of some Pro Duelists who threaten to end the fun of the game.

  • ...
16
 110
 1,556

Thirteenth Turn: The Calm Before the Storm

Author's Note:

I'm sorry today's episode is so short and there is no duel, but it will be necessary for this story, trust me.

Also, I recently started a Pokémon story if you like to read it: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/542579/pokmon-fire-ruby

In a small apartment, there was Sunset Shimmer, she was watching a video on her phone, in the video it could see Big Mac who was having a duel, which seemed to have won easily.

Sunset Shimmer frowned as the video ended, and at that moment her phone rang.

RING RING.

"Hello."

“Oh, it's you, yes, I recognize that he is the leader of Apple Harmony, I even mentioned his consecutive victories when I had a duel against him.”

Sunset Shimmer became annoyed when the person she was talking to started laughing, “Don't laugh, it was just a defeat, this won't happen again.”

Sunset Shimmer hung up the phone, “I'll make sure to defeat Big Macintosh and after that…”

She paused which lasted 10 seconds, then she continued, “And after that I will continue with my life.”

Her Duel Spirit, Flash, just looked at her with a disappointed face.


Darkness was the only thing Spike could see, it was like that for several minutes, but suddenly, he saw a light, he with difficulty advanced towards the light.

Spike's head was pounding as he slowly felt himself begin to regain consciousness.

Slowly his eyes began to open, as voices rang through his ears.

"Spike?" Spike could recognize that it was his older sister's voice, “Mom, dad, Spike woke up.”

“Oh for Faust,” Spike exclaimed, putting a hand to his head, he was clearly exhausted, he was in his room, next to him on his desk was his deck, “What the hell happened?”

“Spike, you passed out,” Twilight responded with tears in her eyes, “I was afraid you wouldn't wake up again.”

“Wait, why?”

“Because you were sleeping for 3 days,” Twilight replied.

That realization felt like a bunch of bricks falling on his head, Spike shouted, “3 DAYS.”

And in that moment, Spike remembered everything.


Flashback

3 days before, during the duel between Twilight and Spike.

"So you came to ruin my fun," Spike told Twilight and her friends.

"No it's not like that Spike," Twilight replied, "We know you're mad, but..."

"Oh, wow, you know I'm angry," Spike interrupted, "It took you several months to notice."


"I already told you," Spike told her with fury in his eyes, "I deserve more respect, and much more than that time, I should have participated, but I was left out, now what better way to earn that respect than by humiliating the champion.”


"My turn is over," Spike said coolly, "And you're supposed to be the regional champion, it doesn't look like it based on your performance in this duel."


Back to the present.

“Oh no,” tears filled Spike's eyes as he remembered all those horrible things he said to Twilight, he looked at her, “Twi.”

But at that moment, his parents entered the room, with worried faces, but relieved to see their son finally awake.

“Spike, you're finally awake,” Twilight Velvet told him as she hugged him.

“Mom,” Spike said as he was suffocated by his mother's embrace, “I can't breathe.”

“Oh,” Velvet released him, “Sorry.”

“It's ok Velvet,” Night Light told her as he patted Spike on the head, “Our son is very strong.”

Spike looked down as he heard what his father said, “No, I'm not strong.”

“Spike, that's not true,” his father told him.

“No, the reason I was unconscious for 3 days…”

“Yes, we know,” his mother interrupted with a sad look, “Twi told us everything.”

Spike lowered his head again, he felt so bad right now.

“Spike,” his father put his hand on his shoulder, “Why didn't you tell us how you felt?”

“Because I didn't think I'd be in a position to say it, and I also thought it wouldn't be fair to Twilight,” Spike replied, wiping the tear from his eye, “She's a great duelist, so she deserved our support, I didn't know how to say it without sounding cruel."

“Spike, this is partly our fault,” Velvet responded as she hugged him again, “We were so focused on Twilight and Shining, when we should have been with you too.”

“And I should have been a better big sister,” Twilight added, “I promise you won't be left out anymore Spike.”

“Please don't blame yourselves, in the end, I'm responsible for almost going crazy just because I was a coward for not wanting to open my mouth,” Spike told them, “I don't want to be mad at you anymore Twi.”

At that moment, Twilight hugged her little brother, moved.

“Spike, remember that we are your family, and we will always be there for you at any time,” Night Light told him with a smile.

Spike smiled, happy that he could finally open up to his family.

But then he remembered something, on his desk, where his deck was, he took Heathspike's card.

“Actually, I have to tell you something, I haven't been completely honest with you,” Spike told them with the card in his hand.

“What do you mean Spike?” Velvet asked him.

“Several weeks ago, just the day before we beat Rover,” Spike told them.

"We?" asked Twilight Sparkle, she thought it was strange that her brother spoke in plural.

That was when he began to tell the whole story of the mysterious guy in that strange card shop who gave him that booster of powerful cards, then he told about what happened in the duel he had against Rover, and then he got to the Heathspike part.

“And well what I want to get at is...” said Spike who looked at the surprised faces of his father, mother and sister, they were certainly impressed, and although he still didn't show it to them, they believed him because of the honesty in his eyes.

“I want to introduce you to my friend Heathspike,” Spike said as he focused on the card, he remembered that to make a Duel Spirit visible, he had to open his heart to whoever wanted to show it, after a few seconds, the card began to glow and there Heathspike's voice was heard, “It's a pleasure to finally meet you.”

Heathspike had materialized in front of the Sparkle family, and their shocked expressions did not cease.

“My name is Master Kenbroath Gilspotten Heathspike, although on my Monster card I call myself Master Heathspike the Mystic Dracoslayer, but you can address me as Heathspike if you want,” Heathspike introduced himself chivalrously, “I am Spike's Duel Spirit but I am also consider him as my best friend, for some reason, I woke up when he took my card, that's why I swear that I will be by his side, in the good times and bad times."

The sincerity in his voice made his family trust him, and at that moment Twilight approached the spirit, she smiled at him, “Heathspike, welcome, thank you for taking care of Spike.”

Heathspike smiled, “Thank you, Twilight Sparkle, for not losing faith in him during his duel.”

Twilight smiled, she turned to Spike, “That explains the times it seems like you were talking alone.”

“Hehe,” Spike laughed, feeling a little foolish for not being more discreet.

“Well Heathspike, welcome to the family,” Night Light told him as he offered his hand for a handshake.

“Yes, from what Spike told us, you've done so much for him, we'd like to have you around,” Velvet added.

“Shining Armor would really like you,” Spike told him.

"Thank you Mr. and Mrs. Sparkle," Heathspike thanked, then proceeded to accept the handshake, but his hand passed through Night Light's, "Oops, I forgot to say, I'm an intangible spirit, but thank you for your hospitality."

This made the whole family laugh, there was finally peace between Spike and Twilight Sparkle, the siblings couldn't be happier.


The next day, at Canterlot High, precisely at the Duel Club.

Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy were talking, apparently they had found out that Spike had already woken up.

“I'm glad those two made passes,” Fluttershy told her.

Pinkie Pie nodded very happily and excitedly, “Yes, having a depressed friend is not nice, so we have to do our best for Spike, do you think he would like me to throw him a party.”

Fluttershy nodded with a smile, “I'm sure he would love that.”

At that moment, Rainbow Dash entered the room, “I'm sorry for the delay.”

“Don't worry darling, Twilight hasn't arrived either,” Rarity told her.

“Oh, I talk to her, Twi's not coming today,” Rainbow Dash replied, “She's staying home one more day to take care of Spike.”

“That's nice of her,” Rarity told her.

And at that moment, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo entered the room.

“Howdy sis,” Applejack greeted, “What are you doing here?”

“Yeah, we thought you be in the old barn with Big Mac and the others,” Rarity added.

“Well, we kinda need your help,” Apple Bloom responded.

“We need training to qualify for the Eclipse Cup,” Sweetie Belle added.

“Say no more,” Rainbow Dash responded animatedly, stroking Scootaloo's hair, “Anything for you.”

“Well, I already qualified, but I won't get in without Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle,” Scootaloo told her determinedly.

“I can't wait, the tournament has me excited,” Rumble said as he appeared next to Scootaloo.


Meanwhile at the Sparkle family house.

Spike had gotten ready, he was fine, he took his backpack and his Duel Disk.

“How are you feeling Spike?” Velvet asked him when she saw him at the door.

“I'm fine, Mom,” Spike responded, but his mother's worried look made him think he owed an explanation. “Are you asking me if I feel bad about the Eclipse Cup?”

Velvet nodded sadly.

And at that moment Twilight Sparkle appeared with Night Light behind her, they had heard of the tournament that Spike would not be able to enter, worried because that was the trigger for Spike's unleashed fury.

“Spike, I'm sorry,” Twilight Sparkle apologized.

But Spike interrupted her, “You don't need to worry sister, and I hope you manage to win the cup.”

Twilight didn't expect to hear those words of encouragement from her little brother, she expected him to still be upset about not being able to participate.

“I certainly would have liked to participate,” Spike said without losing his smile, “But I remembered that there is a place where I am appreciated for who I am, a Rogue Duelist.”

“And that place is with the Team Apple Harmony,” said Heathspike, who spoke to the entire family.

“That's very mature of you Spike,” Night Light told him with a smile.

“That's right, I'm mature,” Spike replied with a proud smile, “And that's why Big Mac asked me to take care of the Apple Harmony headquarters when the tournament starts, so I'll spend the days of the Eclipse Cup there.”

Twilight smiled seeing how happy her little brother was, she knew it would be selfish of her to ask Spike to cheer her up during the Cup, so she would let Spike do whatever he wanted.

“Well, we'll come back later,” Spike said, Heathspike joining him, “And I mean both.”

Heathspike smiled, glad that he no longer had to hide.

When Spike and Heathspike left, a smile formed on their family members.

“I'm proud of him,” Night Light said.

“We all are Night,” Velvet added to which Twilight nodded.


Several minutes later, Spike made a detour on purpose, he was going to head to the old barn to see the Team Apple Harmony, but on the way, he heard his own stomach growl and realized something, he hadn't had breakfast.

“Ahhhh, why didn't I have breakfast?” Spike wondered as he walked down the street looking for a restaurant.

“And as I'm going to know, I'm a Duel Spirit, we're never hungry,” Heathspike told him.

“If I don't see somewhere to eat, I think I'll turn into a spirit too,” Spike told him, but in the distance he saw a place, “Wait a minute, there it is.”

"What are you taking about?" Heathspike asked him.

“Joe's donut shop,” Spike replied, running straight towards the place.

“Wait Spike, your shoelaces are untied,” Heathspike told him, but it was too late.

"What? AHHHHH,” Spike had tripped, and the worst of it ended in the middle of the street.

A motorcycle was about to hit him but stopped at the exact moment just a few centimeters away from him.

“That was close,” Spike said, completely pale with fear.

“Be careful, a little more and you didn't make it,” the motorcyclist told him, when he saw her, Spike recognized her, because he remembered that duel on the first day he visited Team Apple Harmony's lair and he could distinguish that red and yellow hair although her face was covered by a helmet.

“Sunset Shimmer?” Spike asked.

“Sunset Shimmer, it's the boy from Big Macintosh's team,” her Duel Spirit told her, which manifested.

“So it was true, she also has a Duel Spirit,” thought Spike, he suspected it for a while but was finally able to confirm it.

“It's true,” replied Sunset Shimmer, who, taking off her helmet, got off her motorcycle to help him up, “You're also the boy who taught Rover a lesson.”

“Hehe, yes it's me,” replied Spike who stood up thanks to Sunset's support, “My name is Spike.”

"Right, I forgot to introduce myself, although you already know me, I'm Sunset Shimmer and that's my Duel Spirit, Flash," Sunset introduced herself while Flash flew and landed near Spike, the pegasus bowed with his 4 legs, "It's an honor."

Knowing that she introduced her partner, it was obvious that Spike would introduce his, “And he's my friend and also Duel Spirit, Heathspike.”

“The honor is all mine,” Heathspike introduced himself.

“Not that it's a bad thing, but what were you doing in the middle of the street?” Sunset Shimmer asked them.

“Umm, I fell,” Spike responded.

“Why?” Sunset Shimmer asked comically.

“I didn't fall on purpose,” Spike responded with a deadpan look.

And at that moment, Spike's stomach growled again, making him blush since he was in front of Sunset, when she heard his stomach and realized that there was a donut shop opposite, she understood the situation and smiled.


Several minutes later.

“Holy, these donuts are the best I've ever had,” Sunset Shimmer said while eating a donut.

“I know,” Spike said as he took a bite of his donut, “Joe's an expert at this.”

In the distance, the store manager named Joe gave Spike a thumbs up.

The boy decided to invite Sunset to eat, he didn't know why, but he had the feeling that maybe she needed company.

“I don't know why humans need to feed to conserve energy,” said Flash, who was watching with Heathspike. “It seems impractical to me.”

“So, you're part of the Team Apple Harmony?” Sunset asked him.

Spike nodded, “That's right, but I've only been part of it for weeks, I'm basically new, in fact, on my first day I got to see your duel against Big Mac.”

“Oh really?” Sunset asked him again with a curious smile.

“Yeah, that battle really got me excited,” Spike responded cheerfully.

“So you're excited,” Sunset Shimmer added.

“Pretty much, the way you summoned all those Links and then summoned Flash, nothing stopped you,” Spike said without losing his spirit, “That day I understood what it meant to fight to win, something I also learned from Big Mac. ”

“Fight to win,” Sunset told herself with a low voice so Spike wouldn't hear her, she remembered something.


3 years ago.

“Salamangreat, Flash Pegasus attacks,” ordered a 14-year-old Sunset Shimmer, as her monster destroyed her opponent's.

Sunset Shimmer: 2100 LP (Winner)
Sunburst: 0 LP

“You really are very strong sister,” said a boy named Sunburst who seemed to be the same age as Sunset.

Sunset smiled, she really enjoyed Duel Monsters.


Back to the present.

Sunset came back when she heard Spike's voice ask her something.

“Do you think you can help me improve?” the boy asked her as he showed her his deck.

“Will you let me see your deck?” Sunset asked him, “That means revealing everything to me.”

“I know, and I also understand that it would be an honor to face you one day with my deck,” Spike said with a smile, “But I'm not at your level yet, I won't even be able to participate in the Eclipse Cup.”

“The Eclipse Cup, in fact, I won't participate either,” Sunset Shimmer told him.

“Why?” Spike asked, he knew that a girl like Sunset could easily sign up for a tournament like that, there must be another reason for her not to participate.

“I have my reasons,” Sunset Shimmer told him with a nervous laugh, “Either way, I'll help you with your deck.”

Spike smiled, deciding not to ask any more questions about the tournament for the moment.

After a few minutes, Spike had placed his deck on the table, Sunset saw it and analyzed it.

“Hey, it's not bad at all,” Sunset Shimmer told him, “It's very well put together.”

“Thank you,” Spike thanked, “I had Heathspike's help.”

“Guilty,” Heathspike added.

“It looks like you tried a lot of options, but in the end you focused on an Aggro and Control style,” said Sunset when she saw that the deck had few trap cards and many spell cards.

“Yes, Big Mac and the others advised me too,” Spike replied.

Seeing him, Sunset Shimmer smiled, she remembered the times when she made changes to her deck, seeing Spike doing the same took her back to a time where she was very happy, something that did not go unnoticed by Flash, “What's wrong? You seem very happy."

“Oh, I…” Sunset tried to respond but was interrupted by Heathspike.

“You've liked Duel Monsters since you were little, right?”

Sunset Shimmer looked at him in surprise.

“I sensed it,” Heathspike declared with a smile.

“You're right, that's why I always look to face great Duelists,” Sunset responded.

“Is that why you decided to have that duel against Big Mac that day?” Spike asked.

Sunset paused for a few seconds, “Big Mac's case is special for me, a Rogue Duelist superior to a Pro, with so many consecutive victories, I have never seen such madness, that's why I want to face him and beat him once and for all.”

Spike listened attentively and although Sunset Shimmer told everything with a smile, he could see that she emanated a little sadness.

“That's why I plan to beat him one day.”

“And when that day comes, what will you do next?” Spike asked, a little afraid for the answer.

That made Sunset look serious, Flash looked at her with concern, but Sunset stood up, “When that day comes, I'll stop playing Duel Monsters, forever.”

Spike was definitely surprised to hear that, he didn't know how to react or what to respond, everyone has their problems, but at that point, he really wanted to know why Sunset wanted to leave after completing her goal.