• Published 16th Apr 2023
  • 2,295 Views, 69 Comments

Drill Sergeant Luna - ThePinkedWonder



Princess Luna decided to personally train her ineffective Royal Guards to become buff, mean, fighting machines.

  • ...
5
 69
 2,295

Chapter 1: Celestia, we have a problem

It would be an understatement to call Princess Celestia’s position as Equestria’s princess “hard.” During her 1,000-year and counting reign, she had to make difficult decisions time and again. Banishing her own sister to the moon for Equestria’s sake topped the list of hard choices, even if said sister later reformed and returned to her side as co-ruler. Good for them.

However, sitting in her dining room, Celestia found herself in limbo over the second hardest choice she could face.

“Uh…I…no, I should pick…uh…”

How could a choice most ponies wouldn’t struggle with be such a tussle for an experienced princess? Screw it; she’d just choose and be done with it, no “ifs”, “ands”, or “buts.”

“Okay, I have decided. I will eat blueberry cake this time.” She pulled a plate containing a single slice of blueberry cake toward her with her magic. Her eyes drifted to the unchosen strawberry cake on its own plate–there she goes again. “Then again, I picked it last time. Uh…”

”Just eat them both before you hurt yourself trying to choose,” a female voice teasingly said.

Celestia turned her head toward the voice. Princess Luna, the owner of the voice, strode into the dining room, chuckling under her breath.

“Believe me, I want to, but I really need to limit my cake intake.” Celestia stared down at her hips. Their, uh, condition coaxed a shameful groan from the cake-lover’s mouth. “I hate to admit it, but my hips have grown a little…wider.”

“Be that as it may about your big hips, I do not think you possess the willpower to eat less cake.”

A scowl burrowed over Celestia’s eyes. She could accept her hips being called big – they were big after all – but not her willpower being questioned! “You know what? I will go on a cake-free diet for a year, just to show you how much willpower I have!”

“Ha! But as much as I would love to say it would end with you consuming more cake than ever, there is a far more important matter we need to discuss.” The younger alicorn stepped closer to Celestia. Her playful smile darkened to a dire, no-nonsense frown. “Celestia, we have a problem.”

“We do?” Celestia’s scowl weaned. “What is it?”

“Have you noticed that our guards are…how can I put it lightly…terrible at protecting Canterlot?”

Ouch. Celestia blinked twice in amazement. “If that is you putting it ‘lightly’, I’m terrified to imagine how you would put it harshly.”

“Well, sugarcoating matters has never been my forte.” Luna floated a pineapple with her magic from a collection of fruit on the dining room’s table. She bit into it, despite the fruit’s thick hard skin.

“Um, you do know that ponies don’t eat pineapples that way, right?”

“Yes, but I prefer it this way.” Luna sat the pineapple back on the table. “But back to those guards. How are they so poor at their duties, that six untrained mares could battle a swarm of Changelings more effectively? Twilight outclassing them is understandable thanks to her amazing magical prowess, but even Rarity can hold her own better, from what I heard!” Luna threw her arms up in exasperation. “Rarity, Celestia, and in hoof-to-hoof combat no less! At least we had the excuse of being blindsided when the Changelings attacked and captured us in a swarm!”

The white alicorn’s mouth opened, but only a sigh eked free. She had nada, nothing, zilch for a defense, and she knew it. “Fine, but I’m not sure what’s wrong with our guards. I supervised their training myself.”

“You did not make things too easy for them, did you?”

“Um…” Celestia’s eyes rolled upward, her brain scrambling to round up the memories of her guards’ training and drills. “I suppose I might have, just a tad. I even permitted them to only train for about half of the time they should have on some days.”

“Did you at least push them to their limits when they were in training? Was their resolves tested?”

Cricket chirps somehow managed to echo throughout the room. After the impromptu alicorn-trolling serenade ended, Celestia bit her lip and looked away.

On the bright side, nopony can say Princess Celestia isn’t a kind-hearted pony.

The not-quite-as-kind-hearted pony facehoofed. “I always thought you were too gentle.”

“I know, but I can’t help it!” Celestia protested as her ears woefully wilted sideways. She slammed her head face-first onto the table, after she pushed her cakes out of face-plant range, and added, “Most of the time I can handle tough decisions, but I just couldn’t bring myself to push our guards to their breaking points. I view them as my own foals.”

“And you acting too much like a mother ended with them always getting their, as ponies today put it, ‘flanks kicked’ with barely a fight.” Luna took another hardcore bite of her pineapple, laid it back down, then gazed downward in thought. Seeds of a plan sprouted in her head, coaxing a smile to curl on her lips. “I have an idea. If you cannot do so, then I will play ‘father’ and train them myself, starting tomorrow. What says you?”

Could it work? Celestia lifted her head off her table and answered, “It would be fine by me, but wouldn’t it interfere with your sleeping?”

“If need be, I will cast an energizer spell on myself to allow me to manage with only two or three hours of sleep.” Luna raised her head, her smile deepening in pride. “But hear my words: once our guards’ training under me is complete, they will be buff, mean, fighting machines!”

“Mean?” Celestia cocked her head to the side. “‘Isn’t that a little excessive?”

A blush heated on Luna’s cheeks. “Hehe, that was merely an exaggeration to make it sound more formidable. But they will be buff and fighting machines.”

“But when you train them, don’t go overboard and get them harmed.”

Luna laid her hoof on her chest in mock offense. “Celly, I am hurt. I would never dream of such a thing.”

“I know, I know,“ Celestia said with a chuckle. “It was silly to say that. You are my dear sister, so I trust that you understand what would be crossing the line.”

“I do. I will be tough, but they are nevertheless in good hooves with me.”

Her mission was set. Luna finished off her pineapple and left the dining hall. She combed the castle for a hat, one that screamed “drill sergeant”, and eventually found one for her taste: a green one. She carried it to her bedroom and tried the hat on in front of her mirror. A smirk crept on her face. Her future buff, mean(?), fighting machines would soon understand the value of “no pain, no gain.”

Especially the “pain” part.

Author's Note:

I got a feeling Luna's guards are in for a long day!