• Published 27th Mar 2023
  • 1,039 Views, 296 Comments

Rebirth of Magic: Zipping It - The Blue EM2

  • ...
2
 296
 1,039

Ain't Misbehavin'

Pipp and I made our way across the courtyard to where mom was. And I immediately twigged that something wasn't quite right. Not only was she squinting a lot, she was also looking at the palace in seeming confusion. I noticed she her eyes focused on the storage section entrance in front of her. This implied she had previously been there, which raised the rather obvious question. What had she been doing in the storage rooms? Nopony goes in there except the household staff to collect important items for state events.

I glanced over to Pipp. "Make this as normal as possible," I said. "We don't want to give her a nasty shock, do we?"

"Nope!" Pipp replied.

So, with perfect timing, we both spoke to her. "Mom!"

She glanced to us as one of the guards looked over, and trotted over. He was an older stallion with a greying mane. "Your Majesty," he said. "Is everything fine?"

Sorry, what on Earth was that accent? It sounded like a blend of a stereotypical British character you'd find in a colonial period drama and Tom Hanks' attempt at a Dutch accent in Elvis. Truly strange.

"I'm fine," Mom replied. "Just a moment of light-headedness, that's all."

After Zoom was instructed to give her sunglasses, it was time to head to the parade. Things continued to be a bit strange, with mom seemingly not knowing what that was despite it apparently being in the calender for months, and a few slightly odd jokes.

I got my biggest clue when I noticed her trying to sit like a human. That wasn't normal at all, and the way her body seemed to flop against the seat was mildly funny- for a bit. As the orchestra played a hornpipe down below to keep the crowd occupied (thankfully without the blowing of bus horns), I checked over to Pipp. She'd seemingly noted some of the oddnes, as she was recording something on her phone's notes section. I glanced about as the National Anthem began to be played for the second time that day. Being the kid of the subject of the words will never cease to be weird. Thought at least, in a moment of consistency, Faust seems to be the deity around here.

The next few days seem to fly by in a blur, as relatively little of interest happened. True, we were both a bit surprised when mom offered to take us both to a water park, which seemed a little out of character. Having said that, we certainly all seemed to have good fun out there, with me doing my best impression of a steamship.

Dodging one of the cannonballs was pretty fun too. It was when we came together for a group selfie I noticed something unusual in mom's face. I assumed that, as a monarch, she had to wear an awful lot of different faces during her day.

And yet I noticed she looked... happy. Happier than before during my time here.


Some time after that, mom was off on business. Something about a new vehicle factory that needed to be inspected. That left Pipp and me back at the palace, and with an obvious obstacle I decided it was time to do some sleuthing about.

Truth be told, it wasn't hard to find the Palace Guard. They were busy drilling on the parade ground behind the palace. Based on the music the band was playing they were rehearsing a march for festivities later on. It was a very slow one though, so it was probably for travelling short distances.

"SLOW IT DOWN, PRIVATE GAZE! YOU'RE HALF A BEAT TOO FAST!"

"YES COLONEL!" a voice replied.

I made my way down there and spoke to a soldier nearby. "Could I talk with the Colonel quickly?"

"Yes, Your Highness," the soldier replied, and trotted over to the parade area.

This seemed to work, and there was a barked command. "CAPTAIN BRISTOL! TAKE CONTROL OF THE PARADE!"

"YES SIR!"

The Colonel then made his way over to me, and saluted as he came to a stop. "Your Royal Highness," he said. "How may I assist you today?"

"Please, just call me Zipp," I replied. "I was wondering if we could go over security arrangements for next week?"

"Of course," he replied. "I've increased troop deployments around the palace and- could we hold the music for a moment, please?"

"Yes, Colonel Opwinden!" called the bandmaster.

So Opwinden was his name? Interesting. "As you're probably aware security is a bit of a big deal at the moment."

"I understand entirely, Your Roy- Zipp," he said, quickly stopping and correcting himself. "I don't think there's anything to worry about, though. These festivities constitute the largest peacetime deployment in quite a while! It will certainly be good to showcase all the drill we've worked on."

I nodded, noticing they were still going even though there was no music. "Carry on, Colonel."

The Colonel saluted me back. "Good day, Your Highness."

So, heavy security and a large scale peacetime deployment? They didn't show us any of this in the movie, but then again the timeframe was restricted to the exact day of the Royal Celebration. It's possible all the deployment stuff was the week before, and the soldiers returned to their barracks before the event shown in the movie. This would explain why we only see palace guards in the film.

I made my way back indoors, and soon found myself heading back for the research facility I called home for a bit. Once down there, I checked the various strange artefacts and found a mysterious glowing thing amonst them. I looked closely at the object and was amazed.

Had I found a prisbeam object in this place? This was interesting, but it could wait until later. I had to test a theory of aerodynamics, so I fired up the fan and hopped onto it, experimenting with glide angles and positions.


I was retiring to my room for the night when I suddenly heard something odd coming from mom's room. I stopped and pricked my ears to listen closer. It was then I realised what I was hearing.

Was she in pain? Trouble?

I decided to investigate. I pushed the doors open and stepped inside. I knew that entering without knocking was technically a breach of Royal Protocol, but in the circumstances I didn't really care.

The room seemed mostly normal. Mom was next to her desk, seemingly shaking. I figured out fairly quickly what the sound was. She was sobbing.

I made my way over to her, being careful not to tread on things as I went through the room. As I looked at the scattered items on her desk, I spotted newspapers, old information cuttings, photographs- and a stack of letters.

I figured out what this meant almost immediately. Were these things relating to dad? I mean, Zipp's dad. I'd only really just gotten used to the idea of a fictional character being my mother. This would take a little extra processing.

Tears stained some of the paperwork on the table, turning some of them to a yellowy hue. I spoke up. "Mom, what's wrong?"

She turned to me. Her eyes were red, and the fur around her eyes and cheeks were wet. Wet with tears. Over her shoulder I saw letters filled with information about us. She had continued to write to him even after he'd seemingly died.

Mom then said the first words that she'd said the entire time we'd been standing there. "I miss him, Zephyrina."

I took her into a hug as she collapsed into a fresh wave of tears. "Hey, take it easy," I said. "We all do. We're all hurting." I continued to stay there as she continued to sob into my coat.

"There, easy. Just let it all out."

A few minutes passed, and mom stopped to seemingly compose herself. "Forgive me," she said. "That was most improper."

"Grief is completely natural," I replied. "Especially for somepony so close to you."

She sighed. "I... I just don't like it when you see me this way. It's weakness, and the people can't see that. I have to stay strong for them! Whatever would they think?"

I chose some words I had heard a wise man back in the old world say a long time ago. "Mom, ponies don't cry because they're weak. They cry because they've had to be strong for too long. We're only pegasi. The people can see that. And they miss him too."

Mom seemed legitimately touched by those words. "Thank you, Zephyrina," she said. "I guess I needed that." She glanced at a clock. "I'd best get these put away and off to bed. There's a full schedule tomorrow."

I nodded. "I'm gonna turn in too. Take care."

"You too."

Well, that was interesting. Turns out Queen Haven does have a heart after all. She was maintaining that image the entire time for their sake, not just her own.

Author's Note:

Well, that's another chapter down, and it would appear Queen Haven is in on things as well.

The chapter contains a number of references to different things, namely the popular fantheory that Faust is the deity of the MLP world (hence, for the national anthem swap 'God' for 'Faust' and 'King' to 'Queen' and you'll have the words).

Opwinden, for those who are interested, is a Dutch word that literally translates as upwind. The commentary on his accent is a nod to the 2022 film Elvis, which memorably starred Tom Hanks as Tom Parker (doing an accent which can only be charitably described as strange).

The idea of Haven wearing a mask for the sake of the public is derived from this story, which delves quite deeply into her mental state:

EThe Queenly Mask
Fairweather Haven is many things. A Queen, a celebrity, a shining beacon of hope for a flightless people. A fraud, a widow, a mother who struggles to connect with her eldest daughter.
spookyalice · 4.3k words  ·  71  2 · 1.4k views

It was a theme that also resonated with me; as an autistic person, I find myself having to wear masks and faces an awful lot to blend in with society.

Next time: Raise the alarm!