• Published 27th Mar 2023
  • 1,039 Views, 296 Comments

Rebirth of Magic: Zipping It - The Blue EM2

  • ...
2
 296
 1,039

Locked in a Cell, Waging War from a Prison

We both looked up and across as the figure marched into view before us. It was Colonel Opwinden. Had he thrown his lot in with Gulfstream and his goons?

He looked to the soldiers. "You are relieved of duty," he said. "Proceed to the barracks and await further orders."

"Yes sir!" the guards said, saluting as they did so. They marched down the corridor, cheerfully whistling as they did so.

We both looked to the Colonel, who glanced down the corridor again to check nopony was there. "Good, they're gone. We have the place to ourselves."

Mom looked shocked. "How could you?" she asked.

The Colonel, to our surprise, then bowed. "Your Majesty, and Your Royal Highness," he said.

We were both a bit confused. "What's going on?" I asked.

Opwinden looked to me and smiled. "What is right and just. That fool has no idea what's coming."

Mom blinked. "Look, just cut the crap and tell us what's going on."

The Colonel nodded. "Yes, Your Majesty. I come here with important news. The struggle is not over, and the war is not lost."

"Sure doesn't look that way," I said, indicating to my chains. "I guess these guards really do enjoy their power."

"Sorry about that," Opwinden said. "I've arranged to have them reassigned to an ordnance depot on the outer fringes of our territory. But our situation, although it might look dire, is better than it might seem."

"Our situation?" Mom asked. "Whose side are you on?"

"The side of justice and democracy," Opwinden explained. "I'm a double agent."

"That's a relief," I said, groaning. The metal was really beginning to chafe on my skin despite the fur protecting it.

"The revolution is not a revolution at all," the Colonel continued. "It is a coup, nothing more and nothing less, an illegal power grab by a General who fancies himself King. Well, not to me. I swore an oath of loyalty to the Pegasus Empire and to the Royal Family when I signed up, and I will not be betraying that oath."

"But you're pretending to serve them," I asked. "How does that square with any of this at all?"

"It means I can pass insider information to the rest of the world, and expose what he's really doing," Opwinden said, focusing still on us, and periodically checking the corridors for any unwanted intruders coming towards our current position. "Make no mistake; Gulfstream is insane, and has been for a while. He's been building his army and his power base and waiting for a moment to strike. The incident at the Party at the Palace was just a convenient excuse to launch his coup and take over the government. Not only is he insane, he is racist to the point of paranoia, convinced that unicorns and earth ponies have been poisining our water supply to make stallions less fertile."

"Sounds pretty crazy to me," I said.

"I won't stand for this," Mom said. "He'll destroy us all if he isn't stopped."

"Luckily, most of the population agrees with you," Opwinden said.

"They do?" I asked, amazed at this news. In the film the citizenry had turned on their leadership pretty fast.

"Indeed," Opwinden smiled. "Of course, they aren't hugely happy about the whole 'unable to fly' thing. But the truth is that they don't trust the General's regime. They see him as a madman and a threat to their security. Already ponies are protesting the conscription he's introduced, and the populace is deeply worried about being sent to war to fight against the other races- public opinion of unicorns and earth ponies is pretty low, but the prospect of war is more unpopular, given we are all nuclear equipped."

He paused. "Low level resistance is in place, aiming to restore you to your rightful places, but low level resistance is not enough. This is where we come in." He showed us something on his FlyPad (these are popular devices for doing work and analysing documents on). "Already resistance movements have formed across the country, and we have been secretly arming them to fight back against our oppressors. We have allies everywhere, and eyes and ears reporting on Gulfstream's troops. We just need a bit more time to prepare for the counter revolution."

"Time is something we may not have," I said. "Given revolutions have a bad habit of killing monarchs and nobility."

"Zephyrina!" Mom snapped. She looked to Opwinden. "How much time are we talking, Colonel?"

"Twenty four hours at the most," Opwinden replied. "Gulfstream has already executed those he suspects of being opposed to his revolution, and he's also filled the jails and prisons with Royalist supporters. We plan to break them out as well, and this is what we need the time for. Breaking into large numbers of jails at once needs a lot of equipment. I can already confirm Thunder and Zoom are on our side as well."

"That's a relief," I said.

"Know you have my full support, even though I can't do very much at the moment," Mom said. "The best of luck."

"Colonel, I have a message from the General!" a voice called down the corridor. "He wants to speak to you immediately."

The Colonel nodded. "I'll be along shortly." He glanced to us. "Apologies in advance," he whispered, before switching to a louder voice. "STAY IN LINE MAGGOTS! This'll teach you to stand against us!"

It hurt being called that, but we both knew he was only doing it to deceive our enemies and buy us some more time. As we waited, he turned and walked away. "A special signal will let you know when we are ready."

As he vanished down the corridor, I considered my options. It seemed as though we could escape- though how they were planning on cutting through our chains I didn't know- and it may be best to stay put for now and wait.

Just then, our attention was drawn to a troop buildup at the other end.

"MAKE WAY FOR HIS EXCELLENCY, GENERAL GULFSTREAM, SAVIOUR OF PEGASUS KIND AND THE HAMMER OF THE FALSE QUEEN!" bellowed a voice.

A line of soldiers in heavy armour and gas masks marched into position, flanking the General, a king in all but name. His uniform, green in colour, was absolutely covered in medals, many of which was brightly coloured and shone. I recognised quite a few of them- I'd worn them during the dinner about a week ago. How quickly things change.

He adjusted his hat, flanked by his soldiers who were pointing bayonets at us. "Greetings, Prisoners 03272023 and 05082023. I have to say, those jumpsuits suit you far better than the metal and fabric you plundered from the populace."

"Look who's talking," I replied, pointing at him. "Those are my medals."

Gulfstream looked over. "Single shock, 90 volts."

A single electrical blast shot through me, and I collapsed on the ground writing in agony.

"That'll teach you to speak when you aren't spoken to," Gulfstream smiled.

I got back up. "Oh, really? If you're so tough, why are you surrounded by soldiers? We're chained down. We aren't a threat."

"You mean the Stormtroopers?" Gulfstream replied. "Brilliant, aren't they. Powerful, loyal, and brave. Selectric from the purest of pegasus genetic stock to enforce the superiority of our species. Not like some of the half breeds you find out there. We'll soon weed them out."

"What you are doing is monstrous," mom said. "History will judge you for this."

"Says the monarch who lied about being able to fly," Gulfstream snorted. "All I did was overthrow an unjust government. The populace won't stand for ponies like you, and with the ranks of our armies swelling we shall soon be able to finish the work that King Thundercloud started all those centuries ago."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"This state of cold war has made us complacent," Gulfstream said, a maniacal grin on his face. "What is the point of all this military equipment if you have no war to fight? Solders should be used for fighting, even if it means having to pull a few strings."

I didn't like what he was implying. I looked at mom, who had a look of intense worry on her face. It seemed she shared my opinion on this as well.

She spoke next. "You're insane. You'll condemn us all to death! They may be our enemies, but a world war helps nopony!"

The General laughs. "You foalish fool. War helps plenty of ponies. It weeds out the weak from the strong, the wheat from the chaff, the undesirable from the very best. Race war will allow us to exterminate the earth ponies and unicorns and establish a perfect pegasus utopia, the way it has always been! Faust is on our side, and will ensure our victory in this crusade!"

He looked closer, the mad glint in his eyes clear. "Never you two fear. I have a plan. The final solution to the unicorn and earth pony problem."

Author's Note:

The title of this chapter is taken from the Sabaton song Inmate 4859, a song about a resistance leader in Poland who suffered through the horrors of Nazi occupation.

On the topic of resistance, the parallels in this chapter are, presumably, obvious; Gulfstream is peddling racist rhetoric to justify going to war against 'lesser' nations, and the Resistance combines elements of the French and German resistance movements to fascism.

As A New Generation more than made clear, extremism can come from anywhere at any time. And given that these sorts of attitudes appear to be fundamentally baked into the societies that have formed, it's only a matter of time until a nutcase prepared to do the unthinkable gets into a position of power (as Sprout did).

Next time: War?