• Published 31st Jan 2023
  • 370 Views, 50 Comments

The Letter(s) - starcoder



At the School of Friendship, school-wide letter exchange has been started. But nopony can figure out who started it.

  • ...
0
 50
 370

The Assignment

Dear Taz,

Of course it's fine to talk through letters! In fact, Twilight had made an announcements saying that they would be the main source of communication over the course of the project.

My experience with social anxiety had a strong reason. Some ponies just have it, and others, like me, develop it over time, usually because of a traumatizing event in that pony's past. I'm sure you know of my backstory, of me being a dictator who believed in the perfect utopia. And it would have been perfect, if not for my selfishness. And even after Twilight extended her hoof to me in friendship, I turned away. I, unfortunately, was so vindictive! It was the wrong choice, as I came nearly close to the destruction of the whole world. See, I still despise the bad old times today, but I'm communicating just fine now.

When I'd first been reformed, it was near impossible for me to talk to anypony. Even with Twilight, conversations were awkward and short. Over time, though, I'd learned to realize that staying away wasn't going to do anything, so eventually, I learned to accept my place as their friend. They, as amazing buddies, helped me fit in and become who I now am today.

Now, your case is very different. You are similar to my friend Fluttershy. When she first met Twilight, she could barely say her name aloud. But with the help of her friends, both ponies and animals, she found the right rungs of the ladder to step up and move along. Now look what she's doing: teaching a big class of different creatures! She never would have imgained that she would have come this far, but she has. I'm positive you can do the same thing. You can start by revealing your identity, as Twilight has been nagging me about for a while.

Anyways, moving on, I told Professor Twilight your compliment last night, and she appreciates your kind words as much as you appreciate her help. I, too, am grateful for your kind words, especially when my job is so stressful. I know how hard it is to compliment myself, so I understand why it may be the hardest of all for you.

I know for a fact that you saw the announcement earlier this morning. I’m sure you’re participating, so please tell me what ponies you talk to and what compliments you give! I’m participating, as well, so I’ll leave you some of my own examples beforehoof in case you’re not ready to try yet. But from the compliments you have given through letters already, I’m positive you’ll succeed. Good luck either way!

Always here for you,
Starlight Glimmer, Twilight Sparkle, Fluttershy Breeze


P.S. Different ponies will cover my letters sometimes, so expect to see a variety of writing styles.
P.P.S. I love the way you write! It's so smooth and flows as if a grown mare or stallion were writing it. If only I, Twilight Sparkle, knew who you were so you could get a proper writing grade.


Taz sighed and rolled her eyes. Twilight was already desperate to know her identity. She pulled out a slip of paper, writing the first paragraph, maybe it extended into the second, on the paper. It was a note to Twilight, showing her aggravation while still being as polite as possible. She was the headmare of the school, after all. Although Twilight did have every right to know who she was, she still wanted it to remain a secret.

She forgot that she was busy doing this in class, specifically Rainbow Dash's sports class, until a voice came on in the intercom. It was Twilights. "Just a reminder that The Great Letter Exchange has now been started throughout the school, wherever it wants to take place. A few rules I forgot to go over are that you must write your letter and then show each one to your instructor. That way, you can get your participation grade and your name logged in the system.

"I've also decided that staff can take place in this, as well! Staff will be holding a competition on whoever can give the most letters out, mostly to students. Staff can give to other staff members as well, but no one outside of the school. Students, we'll need your help to log in which teachers give you letters and give it to us by the end of Compliments Week. Students will also be participating. Since we are doing this out of the whole school, the top five students, who give out the most letters, will get bonus prizes. And they are secret bonus prizes, so I can't say what exactly it is. Have a fun week!"

Then, the intercom turned off and the whole class was chatty. Rainbow Dash blew a whistle and got everyone's attention. "Alright, we'll all be participating. It better be one of my students in the Top 5, you hear me?" Everycreature cheered in agreement as ruckus stirred again.

The bell rung and everyone started to head to next period, lunch. Taz placed a letter she had been working on onto Rainbow Dash's desk. She laughed as she grabbed the letter and forced a quiet groan that was still easily heard in the stillness of the room. "I'm actually kind of ambivalent on this whole thing, you know?" She nodded, signed her name on the letter and walked out the door with a wink.

With a sigh, she walked to the cafeteria where she finished writing the letter she had started earlier. In the middle of lunch period, she smiled once her letter was finished. She could now give out her compliment letters for the Compliment Week of Letters. Her first one was to a pony named Sandbar. She had seen him around every now and then, and although he was known for running away and befriending the creatures, she wasn't really too familiar with him. She wasn't close to anyone, for that matter. Although, many would possibly say that they were close to her. She would have tried to better know them, but she didn't particularly care for that until now.

She realized that the letter exchange competition would mean many students would need several pieces of paper, so she quickly teleported to the store, grabbed two large stacks of paper, and left them by the counseling office door. She took two of those papers for herself, starting on the first letter.

Dear Sandbar,

You are so kind and friendly, to everycreature, and I feel bad that I don't communicate with you as much as most ponies do.

Blah blah, something like that. She wasn't sure yet, but she would definitely pitch it up after school was done. If only she could finish sooner, much sooner. With a sigh she sulked out of the cafeteria, thinking about the day ahead of her.