• Published 31st Jan 2023
  • 370 Views, 50 Comments

The Letter(s) - starcoder



At the School of Friendship, school-wide letter exchange has been started. But nopony can figure out who started it.

  • ...
0
 50
 370

The Inner Mind

Oh Celestia, Dear Princess Celestia,

My heart is broken. My body is confused. And my eyes cannot take another sight before fainting.

I was there, I was there when they read the letters. I saw their reactions, each and every one of them. Fluttershy was happy, grateful, even. It was nice. But then there was Twilight. See, her reaction was displeasing albeit totally expected. She wanted to know who I was. And she does know me. Just not as Taz. Still, she wants to see who it is she knows that goes by the pen name of Taz.

I also managed to send a random letter to some random filly passing by. I don't know them very well, but I snuck the letter into her bookbag. That counts as a letter and compliment. Here's hoping it'll spark a friendship soon.

Anyways, I'm stressed and tired and I can't live the way I do anymore. My mind works through letters. So many letters, so many times I've had to focus on penmanship to make it legible for the professors. In bed feeling drained of energy, I'm writing a letter in my mind, just so I don't have to write this in reality. Once the week is over, I may reveal myself.

I bid you adieu Farewell Goodnight Your faithful, indirect student,
Taz

She promised herself she would write that out tomorrow. Maybe even send it to Celestia. Dear Princess Celestia, by your faithful, indirect student, Taz. The name Taz had become more natural over time. It was almost like a second name to her, so much to the point where her first name didn't matter so much as the second. She actually felt more alive as Taz than she did before.

And that last part. It was hard to find a good thing to say naturally to the Princess of all Equestria. She was Twilight's student, so that technically meant that she was Princess Celestia's indirect student. Wow, that meant Princess had a lot of indirect students. She was glad she didn't have to be the future Princess of Equestria. But Twilight probably would. She shuddered. That would be a lot of stress.

She got out a piece of paper and started scribbling her next letter on the paper. She completed about five more before she heard her door open. "I just wanted to check on you," came the voice. Taz didn't bother turning around to see who it was.

She nodded. "I know, it's almost bedtime. I'll sleep soon. I just have a few letters to write for the exchange." She felt somepony get closer to her, and she continued to write her last letter, to a griffon named Gallus. She had made letters for all of them. Apparently, they were the biggest friend group and also the "student legacy" of The School of Friendship. She didn't finish signing her name, so that was a relief. She didn't want anypony, not even those closest to her, to discover her true identity or who she was pretending to be.

"Okay. Goodnight."

Once the door had closed, Taz sighed and leaned back. She then signed, You're amazing, Taz. She would be dead if she had signed that while somepony else was in the room.

She smiled and turned out the light, tossing and turning in bed. Okay, just one more letter, she promised herself before turning on her lamp, a dim light, to help her see the letter she was writing clearly. She whispered what she wrote aloud.

"Dear Starlight Glimmer," she started, wincing while hearing it aloud, feeling it on her tongue. The name hurt to say a bit.

"I've progressed greatly through the help of you and Twilight. The compliments come naturally to everyone, and anypony. Anypony but me, that is. Just wondering, but does a letter to myself count as a point towards the final competition? Also, so far, I've made and delivered letters to all the staff, excluding Spike. I'll write his and send it tomorrow, actually. And maybe, if you approve of me sending letters to you and Twilight (through your letters), that would count as two more complimentary letters. Sorry if I sound greedy; I'm just so enthralled, being in this competition.

"Anyways, I've also written letters to and for several ponies and creatures named Harmony Brush, Sandbar, Silverstream, Ocellus, Yona, Smolder, and Gallus. Those are all the students I've given letters to so far. Also, sorry to ask another question, but can I create and send things other than letters? That includes drawings and gifts (that are not letters).

"Thank you again, so much,
Taz

"P.S. I'd prefer if the answers to my questions are announced, just so that other students can get these answers, too. Please send me the answers through letters, too."

With a yawn, she slipped the letter into an envelope, teleported it to land in the mailbox on the counseling office door, and closed her eyes and drift off to sleep.


Dear Taz,

I'm glad this activity is what you asked for! I'm glad compliments come naturally to you. I do want you to write a letter to yourself, though, to make yourself feel better and help you progress. Thank you greatly for your ideas and input on this whole event!

Just wondering, but how many students have sent you letters? Sorry to be nosy, I just want to know how many new friends this whole exchange has gotten you.

And don't be ashamed of asking questions; it's actually a really good thing! I've let Twilight know to announce the answers to all your questions in the morning! Here they are for you, though, on a letter:

  • Yes, a letter to yourself would count! Twilight and I encourage that because it makes a student feel better about themselves, and not just make others' feel amazing. Both skills are necessary.
  • Twilight and I have agreed to count your previous letters to me as points for the final count. We're counting them as two separate letters as well, as each paragraph contained compliments for only one pony. Yes, I remember what it looked like.
  • Please do send things aside from letters! Letters get boring over time, and ponies may not think letters mean as much after the whole school is sending letters out and about. A heartfelt gift or card would be greatly appreciated by them, I'm sure.

Sincerely,
Starlight Glimmer


Taz skimmed the letter, walking into the school, and bumping into a pillar. She rubbed her head and put the paper back into her bookbag. She smiled as she looked up and saw Twilight giving a speech of some sort on the stage.

"...and send letters to yourselves. Also, I greatly encourage you to send more than just letters. Gifts, cards, and drawings have more meaning than letters, which, I assure you, will get boring in the next week. Remember, everypony, the exchange ends this Friday, so make sure to finish giving your gifts in a few days! The top five givers will be announced and receive prizes!"

The students all headed to their next classes, and Taz headed into Twilight's classroom. With a smile on her face, she wrote a letter to Spike as she pretended to watch Twilight give her lesson.