• Published 31st Jan 2023
  • 370 Views, 50 Comments

The Letter(s) - starcoder



At the School of Friendship, school-wide letter exchange has been started. But nopony can figure out who started it.

  • ...
0
 50
 370

The Rush

Starlight had forgotten to clear her mailbox last night, so she hadn't checked or read any letters or notifications yet. She would have to do it soon, in the morning right before school started. She got out two pieces of paper, one for a response letter and another for making an announcement list. On her list, she decided on three items that would be addressed today:

1. Twilight's bonding lesson
2. The mailbox on the counselor's door
3. Something about the sports team that Rainbow Dash needed to talk about.

She got out of her room and rushed into the school, where she pasted the list onto a pillar near the stage at the front of the school. Then, she hopped off of the podium and rushed to her office, only to be stopped by Twilight. "Hey, Starlight. You seem a bit rushed today. Is something up?"

Starlight nodded. "I forgot to check for letters last night. Now I have to rush the response in. Oh, and I have a list of announcements to be made. Yours is first, by the way."

"Oh, alright; thanks for letting me know!" Twilight said with a smile. She's always so nice, Starlight thought to herself as both a compliment and a factual statement.

Starlight nodded again and rushed towards her office once more. She took out the one and only letter in the mailbox and skimmed it over.


Dear Starlight Glimmer,

Whew. I'm glad it's at least a bit normal that I'm overly nervous to approach you in your office. Although, talking through letters may have been a bit of a jump. And as of right now, I still prefer letters, if that's fine by you. (I hope it is).

Could you possibly tell me more about your experience with this feeling, (as you say you have encountered a similar situation before)? And about your friendship exercise, it's very hard for me. I don't have much self-esteem, and I'm almost on the verge of writing that I hate myself (which I'm sure is too harsh). And I would compliment other ponies, but I can barely talk to them without my voice vanishing or my hooves shaking. I'd have to say the worst part is that I can hardly stay in one place talking to someone. It often ends up in me running away.

Anyways, I'll now list the three compliments I give.

My first compliment goes to you. One thing I like about you is that you're always there to help your students, fellow staff members, and friends. You never fail to give advice, not even to me. And I thought that was impossible, at least seeing the way I freak out when most ponies try to help me. There's something about you that makes it possible for me to converse with you more easily than I can others. And it's not just the letters, because I've tried that before and it had almost as bad a result as talking in reality does. Oh, and thanks for all those compliments you sent me. I see more good in me now that you've told me that.

My second compliment is to Professor Twilight Sparkle. Can you tell her this one for me? I want her to know that she isn't a failure because she hasn't yet taught me the Magic of Friendship. The keyword there is "yet." She, just like you, has been super involved in helping me, and I appreciate it so much. She is so persistent when it comes to being loyal, kind, generous, fun, sometimes honest, and amazingly magical as a friend and teacher. Tell her that I'm glad I'm in her school, because she's made such a difference in my life, whether she realizes it or not.

My last compliment, probably the hardest one of all, is to myself. I told myself that it was great that I tried to flourish in this school, no matter how hard it is to accomplish. Aside from that, an effort to speak out was also quite courageous by my stanards; it's amazing to see how far I've come since coming to this school.

I'll tell you that I'd prefer if you left your messages taped onto your mailbox, not in it or on the floor near the door. And preferably not in Twilight's class, either.

Your effort is greatly appreciated,

Taz


P.S. I'm going by Taz now, so it sounds like a more natural name. I'd prefer if you use that when referring to me in letters. Thanks!


Starlight sighed and scribbled her next letter in right as the bell rang. She was only halfway done with the letter, so she groaned when she opened the door to see a long line of students waiting for her. She put on a nervous smile and welcomed them in. She was in the middle of consoling Sandbar as she realized she had to make an announcement. She told him she'd be back, as she did everyone else in line, also telling them that it was best if they tagged along as well.

When she reached the foyer, the late bell had rung and Twilight stepped onto the podium. "Sorry for making everycreature late today. I've got an announcement for everyone, and that doesn't mean just my class. The others' can participate as well, if they wish to. Hopefully they do.

"A friendship lesson has been planned and inspired by one of our shiest students here at the school. Wherever you are, I just want to say thank you." A smile creeped upon their faces. Starlight chuckled and eyed the audience nervously as Twilight continued her speech. "So, the basic details of this event are that you have to compliment three others that you don't yet know. And you can't just go up to them and say they look nice. You have to make letters for them. And letters are supposed to be a decent length, meaning you can't just be simple and broad. You've got to show that you really mean it."

Everyone applauded, and Starlight stepped up to make her announcment. With a sigh, she smiled. "Hey. I just wanted to tell everyone that, if you'd like to see me in my office, you should leave a letter or note in the mailbox on my door scheduling an appointment. Unless it's an emergency, in which you would see me without scheduling a meeting. You can also do written sessions with me, if you'd like. That's all."

A few groans were heard midst the nodding and clapping. "Rainbow Dash, if you'd like to say something about your sports teams."

Rainbow Dash nodded and took her place on the podium. "Alright, so I'd like the attention of everyone in the buckball team. Our next game will be held on Monday, right after school. If anyone would like to attend home game, you have to fill out your attendance form and give it to me by the end of lunch today."

The rest of what she said was droned out as Starlight walked back to her office. She opened the door, only to see Sandbar on her couch, curled up in a ball and comforting himself. Oh, right, Starlight thought to herself as she walked over to solace him once more. "Can you tell me what's bothering you?" she forced herself to ask, still taking pity on him. Today was going to be a long day.