• Published 7th Nov 2022
  • 6,492 Views, 221 Comments

Stop asking QUESTIONS! (also, why are you acting so weird right now?) - Cxcd



Sunset is getting fed up with her friends asking questions about Equestria suddenly. It's almost like they're planning for something... like a vacation.

  • ...
5
 221
 6,492

03 - Ice Cream

Keys jingled in the lock of the quiet home. A few moments later, the latch on the door made a quiet click as it began swinging slowly open. Out from the darkness of the street came a girl wearing a tall green dress with pink hair, poking her head through the door. Her eyes darted around the quiet kitchen and living room, making sure the coast was clear. Then, even slower than when she opened the door, she slipped inside, letting the door quietly latch behind her.

She kept looking around the living room and kitchen combo. Fluttershy was immediately surprised by how similar this place was to her parent’s home back in Cloudsdale. She hadn’t really considered the fact that she was physically younger here than she was in Equestria, even if it was only a few years. She was still living with her parents here, and that didn’t really bother her. Living with her parents wasn’t the worst thing in the world, especially considering how she was only planning on spending a few days here at most.

It looked just like her old home. The exterior was less puffy and misshapen, instead being made of hard edges compared to it’s usual cloud-based materials. It didn’t exactly look like a Ponyvillian home. It was a suburban home. A strange suburban home by Fluttershy’s standards. But it was still her parent’s house at the base. It was so similar, in fact, that Fluttershy had even found the spare key hidden under the exact same stone as it was back in Equestria.

Fluttershy took a moment to slip off her boots, being careful to make as little noise as possible. When that was done, she turned to the kitchen half of the home, slowly striding deeper in. The counter tops were barely messy with a few loose pots and pans, some mail, and even a stapler.

Another thing about this body was the fact that she was tall. She wasn’t used to this vantage point, being so high up. Fluttershy was a tall Pegasus, having her shoulders meet the counter tops when most ponies only reach their neck. But now- she felt almost woozy as the middle of her stomach reached the counter tops. She could rest her hands on the counter without bending her elbows if she really wanted to.

She stopped a moment to look at a wall full of pictures. It took her less than half a second to point out her parents in the photographs. The ones on this particular wall were usually full of outdated photographs of years gone by, and judging by the differences in her own face, it was apparent. She could even see photos she recognized from her days as a school filly in Cloudsdale. The same thing here, only with a different face.

She moved her eyes over to the pictures of Zephyr. He was posing seductively with a rose held in his teeth, taken sometime during fifth grade, if Fluttershy had to guess. But that could also be wrong, as she realized she didn’t have a good idea on how humans aged. She also found even more photographs of herself that she didn’t remember being there before. In the foul and dark lighting, she could’ve sworn her hair looked purple. She shrugged it off, and kept walking around the kitchen island.

She ran her hands along the microwave, unfamiliar with it’s design. With her judgment, she decided to not push any of the appealing-looking buttons on it’s face that demanded the pressure of a finger. Instead, she kept walking, until she stopped in front of what she assumed was the ice-box.

It was bigger than an ice-box, though. Metal in construction, dangling off a hundred more pictures of her at various stages in life. Unusually, she didn’t feel exactly embarrassed. It was more like second hand embarrassment for somebody else, as the face smiling in many portraits were not her own, even if they were literally her.

With a soft smile, she gripped the elongated handle and pulled open the ice-box.

The entire kitchen was bathed in a ghostly blue halo as a wave of cold hit her face. Much more cold than she would’ve expected from an ice-box like this, especially at the ludicrous size it was. She looked around, also surprised at how stock full it was. Condiments, frozen foods, and cheese all were placed in the freezer.

If this is my house, too… surely nopony will mind, right? She asked herself. With all of the force of a hundred mice, she reached her now cold hand into the ice-box, grabbing an oval shaped container, and taking it out. She bounced it around in her fingers, rotating it until the unreadable label was facing her. A thin layer of frost rested on it’s surface, but Fluttershy could still see the picture behind the words.

Chocolate Ice-cream? She asked herself. She slipped a finger over the lip, popping it open. Another smile left her face. It’s almost empty, anyways. Surely nopony will mind…

Without another thought, Fluttershy closed the ice-box door, and by pure instinct, navigated herself to the silverware drawer, opening it up and choosing the most pristine spoon she could find on it’s surface. Her fingers wrapped around the spoon like she had been used to it all her life.

She turned to the other side of the room, where the living room was, and more importantly, the staircase leading upstairs to where the bedrooms were.

The house wasn’t a mansion or anything, but it wasn’t a small house either. Two stories, plus a basement barely big enough to house a pool table, if her memory served her correctly. Fluttershy did know where her room was, back in Equestria, so all logic pointed her feet in the direction of the staircase.

The house, despite being made out of wood, barely made a creek. She stopped at the base of the stairs, sending a cursory glance into the living room, where a huge black box was strapped to a wall opposite of the couch. She shrugged, continuing to walk upstairs, frigid ice-cream in hand. It was a little difficult to walk upstairs with a dress, but when she put the spoon onto the ice-cream container, she found herself lifting her dress like Cinderella to not trip.

She got to the first door on the left, letting her dress drop back down. Careful to avoid causing any disturbances to her parents two doors down, she gripped the doorknob and turned, pushing in the door and letting it glide harmlessly across the ground. Then, similarly to downstairs, she slipped inside.

The door closed, and she had made it. Fluttershy let out a sigh of relief.

She let her fingers grope the wall, looking for an oil lamp switch. But instead what she found wasn’t the usual valve and igniter. What she found was a simple switch for up and down. She made a face, not visible through the dark room, and simply flicked the switch up.

Fluttershy was surprised when the room lit up with only a switch. No turning valves, no igniting lanterns, just a simple switch.

This wasn’t her room.

Quick, panicked breathes raced through her as she looked around. The decorations were wrong. Her room used to be painted green. This room was dark blue. Her sewing desk wasn’t even in here, instead being replaced by a dresser full of what appeared to be fancy electronics that Fluttershy had only seen Dj-pon3 ever use. The floor was covered with pants, socks, shirts, and many CDs, none of which belonged to her.

Then, the person in the bed grunted.

Fluttershy let out a startled gasp, immediately flicking the switch back off and once again dousing the room in darkness. Her heart began thumping quicker as she backed away from the person on the bed, finding herself backed into a corner.

H-Had I entered the wrong house? She thought, a trembling hand biting her nails. N-No! I saw my photos!

“F-Fluttershy? Is that you?” The voice asked. It was a young girl’s voice full of confusion as Fluttershy heard the blankets ruffle. She sounded a little bit like Rainbow Dash, if a bit less raspy. “What time is it?” She asked tiredly. Fluttershy only stared into the darkness as yet more shuffling happened.

Then, the lamp on her bedside table ignited.

The person in bed was a young girl, perhaps around the same age as the Cutie Mark Crusaders back in her world. She was laying down, her elbows pushing herself up as she stared back at Fluttershy across the room. What surprised Fluttershy the most, however, was her hair. It was frizzy and messed up from the bed, sticking out at odd angles, but it was shockingly close to Fluttershy’s own hair. Even the way it fell around her shoulders felt sickeningly familiar to her. The only real difference was the color, being a purple instead.

It then hit Fluttershy that the person she saw in the photographs with darker hair was not her.

The girl met Fluttershy’s own eyes. Although Fluttershy’s eyes were cyan, the girl’s yellow, there was still a strange sense of familiarity and commonness between them.

“Why are you dressed up?” The girl asked, sitting upright in her bed. She wore a loose fitting purple shirt, it dancing as she reached her arm up to rub her eyes. “Are you going somewhere? At two in the morning?”

Fluttershy stayed silent, still staring in shock at the new person in her own home. The girl let her arm fall back down flat, chewing nothing as she fought back a yawn.

“Are you… sleep walking?” She finally asked. Fluttershy blinked, adjusting the container of ice cream in her hands, her hands becoming damp from the freezing surface drying out.

“...no.” Fluttershy said quietly. The girl tilted her head in confusion, furrowing her brows.

“Then why are you up so late?” She asked. “And why are you in my room… with ice-cream?” She asked, her eyes suddenly depleting of all signs of sleepiness. “Ice-cream!” She said above a whisper. “Come, sit!” She waved, tucking her legs into a criss-cross and making room for Fluttershy on the bed.

Who was this girl? Why was she so familiar with Fluttershy? So… buddy-buddy?

Fluttershy bit her lip, and against her better intuition, slowly approached the bed. She sat down daintily, making sure the dress didn’t stretch uncomfortably, and set the ice-cream on her lap.

“Midnight ice-cream is like, the best thing to ever happen.” The girl said. “Do you have a spoon?” She asked, scootching closer.

“Y-Yes.” Fluttershy handed the younger girl the spoon, popping off the lid for her. In a more normal state of mind, Fluttershy would’ve absolutely been against giving a young kid ice-cream, especially at such a ridiculous time at night. But right now, Fluttershy felt frazzled. A strange girl was in her room, and she had no idea what to do. Nor did she know why she was consenting to letting the girl devour the ice cream that was originally going to be hers.

“So.” The girl said, scooping out a chunk of ice-cream from the bottom of the container. “What’cha doing up so late?” She asked for perhaps the third time, shoving the spoon into her mouth. Fluttershy stared at her once more, taking her in fully one more time.

“I- um-” Fluttershy adjusted on the bed, unsure of what to make of the situation. She looked around the girls room, a few posters being hung of what appeared to be grunge garage bands, upside-down stars with circles around them behind the heads of a particular few. It was definitely not a style that seemed to fit with the family she grew up with.

Then, she laid eyes on a family portrait on her nightstand.

There they all were. Her parents, standing proudly, as Fluttershy stood to the side. Her younger brother, Zephyr, also standing with a smile on his face.

And then, in front of them all, was her. The purple-haired girl. Her day outfit was vastly different from her night outfit, it appeared. She wore a black t-shirt with another strange logo on it, dark makeup around her eyes, and what appeared to be black stockings, complete with incredibly tall boots. She held up what appeared to be gang signs, showing off to the camera.

Who was she?

She didn’t really seem like family. Fluttershy didn’t have any family besides her parents. She didn’t even know who her grand-parents were. So who was this strange girl? She couldn’t really come out and ask her, as that would’ve been extremely weird.

She looked back at the expectant girl, who now bore an expression of concern. Fluttershy took another moment, remembering the question.

“I don’t know.” Fluttershy said after a moment of hesitation. The girl stopped eating her ice-cream, looking up at her with wide eyes.

“You don’t know?” She asked, swallowing her spoonful. “I mean- you got dressed in the middle of the night. Course you know.”

“I… don’t know.” Fluttershy said. The girl put the spoon back in the tub on ice-cream, leaning back with a worried look on her face.

“What are you hiding, Flutters?” She asked. “A boy? Are you hiding a boy?” She itched her chin, leaning back in. “Or a girl? Oh, please tell me it’s a girl! I wont tell Mom and Dad!”

“N-No! I’m not hiding anything.” She waved her hand. It seemed, however, that Fluttershy’s luck had run out. The girl adorned a slightly frustrated look, crossing her arms and staring at Fluttershy.

Oh.
Oh no.
Oh no oh no oh no oh no-

The girl furrowed her eyebrows, leveling a stare that could topple mountains. Fluttershy felt her soul leave her body as the girl began piercing through to the next level of her consciousness. A sudden cold, deadening, and draining sensation began at her spine as the girl stared into her eyes.

It was the stare.

And it was being used on Fluttershy. Which was a nice change of pace, all things considered.

How could she use the stare?

She hadn’t ever considered how effective the stare was when used on her.

It broke her almost immediately.

“I- uh- I’m a pony.”

“What?” The girl broke the stare, very confused. “B-But- I thought people can’t lie when I use the stare? Did you just lie?”

“No.” She said truthfully. The girl just blinked, immensely confused.

“I- okay.” She shook her head, sighing and leaning back. “I wanna get back so sleep, so…”

“Okay.” Fluttershy said absentmindedly, standing up. She felt violated. Was that how animals felt when she used the stare on them? Maybe she should stop doing it. Fluttershy opened the door, forgetting about the ice-cream left on her bed. The girl moved it to the nightstand, still watching Fluttershy.

“Hey- Flutters?” She asked. Fluttershy stopped in the middle of opening the door, looking back. “I’m- sorry for using the stare on you. But- if you like, ever need any sister-to-sister talk, just let me know, okay?”

Fluttershy titled her head in confusion.

“Okay.” She nodded, closing the door lightly.

Sister.

But how?

As far as she knew, she didn’t have a sister. That didn’t even make any sense.

Fluttershy cautiously began walking further down the hallway, to the place where the guest room would usually be. She cast one last glance down the hallway, to the room where the young girl that looked a little bit too much like her was, and opened her own bedroom door.

She hadn’t even gotten her name.

“And in Equestria, there’s these super powerful gems!” Pinkie exclaimed, laying on her bed, already dressed in her pajamas. “They’re called the Elements, and me n’ the girls are all super-powered up when we get really friendly with each other!”

Maud Pie, sitting on the floor, petting her pet rock, and staring up at Pinkie, who was laying on her stomach on the bed, merely nodded.

“Anyways- one time in Equestria, I licked this really tasty looking Rainbow! They make it in the factory, but it comes off super spicy when it isn’t diluted or anything! So, I got this mouth-full of this super spicy stuff, and it was so hot!

“This is amusing.” Maud said simply, not smiling.

“I know, right?” Pinkie kicked her legs. “Can you believe you n’ me worked on a rock farm when we were younger? I mean- you still do, but I plan parties in Ponyville!”

“I believe it.” Maud said. “This isn’t the weirdest thing you’ve done.”

“Oh, not by a longshot!” Pinkie rolled over, now staring at her sister upside-down. “Did I tell you about the time I cloned myself like- a bajillion times over again?”

“No.”

“Okay- so I found this pool in the Everfree, okay?”