• Published 29th Jul 2022
  • 1,296 Views, 625 Comments

Agents of Discord - KittyrinnAiko



Kitzumi Nova Moon of Athelas has been chosen for a dangerous mission by none other than Discord to take the place of Harry Potter

  • ...
8
 625
 1,296

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter11: Meeting Draco Malfoy

Nova could swear they were going even faster now as the cart plummeted into the depths. Deeper, deeper, and deeper still, till Nova was sure she could hear the beating of distant orcish drums. And then just as suddenly as the ride had begun they stopped. Nova leaped out not a moment too soon as Hagrid leaned over the front of the car and spewed.

Griphook was forced to climb over the top of the giant and Moonie who’d been on Hagrid’s shoulders the whole time decided she’d vacate the cart as well.

“Stand back,” Griphook announced with a grave tone in his voice. He ran a finger down a blank wall, and a moment later it melted away to turn into an entrance. Inside was one little grubby package that reminded her a great deal of the package that supposedly held cake.

“Come on Hagrid, you’ve got a job to do.” Aerie entreated.

Once again Hagrid crawled out of the cart. And then he just remained on his hands and knees.

“You’re not going to disappoint Professor Dumbledore are you?” Aerie pressed.

Hagrid looked up and slowly got on his feet. From there he took a step, and then another.

It’s OK, I’ve got your back if you’ve got mine, just one foot, and then the other.” Nova encouraged.

Slowly he made his way to the package, reached down, stopped, closed his eyes, and gulped. He lingered for a bit, opened his eyes, reached the rest of the way, took hold of the package, and slowly straitened out. And then he turned around ever so slowly, and with exceeding effort slowly made his way back to the cart where he stopped and blanched.

“Why don’t you sit in the front,” Aerie prompted, and then climbed into the back of the cart. Griphook was next followed by slow deliberate motions made by Hagrid. Moonie decided to sit with Nova this time.

And then they were off.

“Not a soul up ahead, and nothing behind…♫” {WALK THE MOON - One Foot} Aerie sang out as they raced along until they finally made it back to the top.

“Come on Hagrid, you can do it.” Nova offered reassuringly giving him an encouraging pat or three. He’d blown chunks several times along the way and the only thing that had saved her was a hastily erected shield spell and the fact that she was directly behind him. Griphook had a shield spell of his own and was none the worse for the trip. The cart on the other hand was going to need to be sidelined for a we bit.

Slowly, Hagrid made his way back up to the lobby, and out the doors.

“Might as well get yer uniform.” Hagrid offered while pointing in the direction of the shop. “I’m just going to sit a spell.”

“Alright then, I’ll just be right over there.” Nova offered and trotted off to Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions.

Nova had already purchased robes, but she did need to go through the motions. Not like she couldn't wear the robes she already had and probably would. As disheveled as she was, no one seemed to recognize her in the shop either.

“Hogwarts, dear?” asked a squat woman dressed entirely in Mauve.

“Yes, I finally got my letter and I’ll be starting this year.” Aerie offered. “And don’t let these rags fool you, this was just my traveling clothes.”

“Well, you’ll have to wait a bit, I’m fitting a young man in the back right now.”

“Yes, mam.” Aerie replied and went to sit on a stool nearby.

As expected it was Draco Malfoy. Tall, thin, bleached blond hair and a look of distaste about him as the robe was pinned up.

“How come you aren’t using magic to do the pinning?” Aerie asked the woman.

“This is just the way I like to do it.” The woman replied. Malfoy rolled his eyes.

*“Are you going to Hogwarts?” Draco asked casting a glance at Aerie.

“Yes, this year.” Aerie offered. “Finally got my letter.”

“My father is next door buying my books, and mother’s up the street looking at wands. He offered in a bored drawl.

“Have you got your wand yet?” Aerie asked.

“That’s what my mother’s doing, getting my wand.”

“Oh, you don’t want to do that, it’ll be no end of irritation if someone else picks out a wand for you,” Aerie replied trying not to sound like a know-it-all.

“My name’s Aerie, what’s your name?” Like she hadn’t already guessed.

“Draco Malfoy.” He offered with an air of self-importance. “Have you got your own broom?”

“I did. When I was really little. Kids broom it was. It’s been a while.” Aerie offered. I’d kind of forgotten until I got here.”

“Did you play Quidditch?”

“Maybe. Live in a muggle area now. Even if I had a broom I wouldn't dare.”

“That’s too bad. I do. Father says it’ll be a crime if I’m not picked to play for my house.”

“Can first years even play on a team?”

“Not typically no, dear.” The shop worker offered.

“I’d say I have a good chance of getting on the team.” Draco boasted.

“Well, then good luck to you.” Nova offered.

“So what house do you think you’ll get? I expect I’ll be in Slytherin.”

“I’m thinking I’ll likely get Gryffindor. It’s something of a family tradition. I come from a family that believes in leading by example. You know, the all guts and glory while lacking in common sense and caution type.”

Draco couldn't help but smile at her comment. “Oh. Well, I suppose that’s better than getting Hufflepuff. Imagine ending up in Hufflepuff. I think I’d leave if that were to happen.”

“But then we wouldn't be able to be friends.” Nova pointed out.

“Friends?” He asked giving her an odd look. “Not likely, not if you’re in Gryffindor.”

“Why, do Gryffindors not get along well with others?”

“It’s just that the houses don’t mix.”

“I’d think if I were to end up in Hufflepuff I’d want a strong champion from another house to look after me. Still though, even if we end up as rivals, it doesn’t mean we have to be enemies.” Nova offered dramatically. “Right off hand, I’d think a Slytherin Hufflepuff pairing would be ideal. The Slytherin would naturally be the dominant one. I’m surprised Slytherin pairings don’t end up killing each other.”

Draco gave her an odd look and then laughed. Every couple he knew that were both Slytherin fought like cats and dogs. He stopped after spotting Hagrid slowly walking by. “I say, would you look at that man. Is he drunk, do you think?”

“Not yet.” Nova offered deadpan. “Kind of looks like that’s where he’s headed though. - That’s Hagrid. The cart ride did that to him.” Aerie watched Hagrid slowly trundle along. “Listen, when I was little something happened to my parents, and instead of placing me with a decent family, I was placed with muggles. And the absolute worst sort. One was my squib Aunt, and she’d gone anti-magic. Dumbledore sent Hagrid to fetch me because my Aunt and Uncle were bound and determined to keep me from going to Hogwarts. We’d received hundreds of letters by then, not a one had the correct name, and my Uncle got so worked up he throws a wobbly. Absolutely loses it, and takes the whole family on a road trip where we end up on an island with no provisions beyond what I’d managed to snatch at stores. They’d seriously lost the plot by then and then Hagrid shows up in the middle of the night pounding on the door.”

“They what, with muggles, he did?” Draco was honestly shocked and appalled. “Him!?”

“If only they’d have sent someone else.” Aerie lamented. “Big oaf made a right cock-up of the whole thing. At first, I thought he was some mad wild man. Actually tried to kick the door down only I’d opened the door just as his foot went swinging. Nearly kicked me in the head, and then he goes toppling over backward. Wasn’t till I got here that I was one hundred percent sure I wasn’t being kidnapped, and he was telling the truth. I mean, a girl forgets stuff after being stuck with a bunch of muggles for most of her life. And he even used magic in front of muggles. Even I know better than that. The worst part is he turned my idiot cousin into a pig boy. Not that he had far to go though.”

Madam Milkin stopped what she was doing. “If you’ll excuse me, I’ll be right back.”

“I think he’s the groundskeeper at Hogwarts,” Draco offered as Madam Milkin headed for the front door. A moment later she’d slammed it on her way out and was now making a beeline for Hagrid. “Sort of a savage that Dumbledore likes to keep around. Lives out in an old hut on the grounds, and is known as something of a drunkard.”

“He’d been drinking from the moment he showed up. Though I’d imagine it would take quite a bit to actually get him drunk.”

“Some of that fire whiskey is mighty potent. - I tried some once.” He smiled at the memory. “Thought I was going to die.” Both smiled. “It’s a wonder he hasn’t been fired.”

“Well, he’s obviously Dumbledore's pet.” Aerie offered.

“There is that. Ha, she caught up to him. Giving him a right good dressing down too.

“Hang on, how do you know so much for someone living with muggles?”

“One, I’m friends with Lavender Brown, she’s from an old wizard family, and this isn’t exactly my first trip to Diagon Alley, and two, Hagrid. Get him to rambling, ask the right questions, and he’ll spill anything. That and he’s been drinking all morning. He made a right spectacle of himself all the way here.”

“Alright, I can see that.”

“He’s likable, but none too bright. Don’t know why Dumbledore would trust him to do anything let alone pick up a new student who’s been out of the loop most of her life. My Aunt and Uncle had gone absolutely manic to try to keep me out of Hogwarts, and then he comes barreling in like a wrecking ball.”

“Wrecking ball?”

“Something muggles use for knocking down old buildings. What with not having magic they have to come up with other solutions. The more intelligent individuals can come up with some mighty clever solutions. Unfortunately, my Aunt and Uncle were about the dullest of the lot. And she is from a wizard family too.”

“I think I get it. They’re not all bad, it’s just that some are just really dumb and squibs even more so. So how do you feel about letting muggle born into Hogwarts?”

“For starters, I don’t believe there any such thing as a Muggle-born. I’m to understand that a former Headmaster Black believed in screening out the bad elements. I tend to agree with that sentiment. I’d be alright with letting these so-called muggle born in because their parents or grandparents were probably squibs to begin with. Just send them to a preparatory school before they get here so they aren't completely clueless.”

“Squibs? You think their parents are actually squibs?”

“Well you can’t get a unicorn from a jackass now can you?”

Draco laughed.

“Just screen people coming in from the muggle community, and that would technically include me even though both my parents were of the magical community. Find out if they are going to be a good fit. Then let them go to Hogwarts. The opposite of that would be the need to identify individuals who are going to be harmful. Disable their magic, and send them on their way after a good mind wiping.”

“That’s, well, a rather practical approach actually. But what about blood purity?”

“Well, anyone who knows anything about raising animals can tell you that failing to bring in new breeding stock can lead to problems. Yes, I know what Dumbledore says, Hagrid will echo it word for word. Bottom line, if a wizard marries a member of their own family, close relatives marry close relatives over and over, they are going to end up with nothing but squibs, people of diminished faculties, endless health problems, followed by the line dyeing out. The remaining squibs end up going muggle because they can’t stay in the wizard community and earn a living.”

“Oh… I’ve actually heard of that.” Draco offered, sounding thoughtful.

“Draco, I’m sorry I left you standing there.” Madam Milkin offered as she returned. “You’re done, let me get that off of you, and you can be on your way.”

“Alright. Thank you.” Malfoy replied as the robe was taken off of him.

“I’ll see you.” Nova offered with a wave as he left.

“Wonder what’s gotten into him?” Madam Milkin asked a moment later.

“How’s that?”

“That’s got to be the first time I’ve ever heard him say thank you.”

“Maybe he’s just growing up.” Nova offered with a cheerful smile.

“Well, I’ll be right back, and then we’ll get you fitted.”

Madam Milkin returned a moment later and had Nova try on some really basic robes.

“I think I can afford something a little nicer.” Nova suggested.

“Are you sure?”

Nova fished out a bag of coins and started getting out gold coins. “Yes, I think I can afford it. Let’s use the same address as before shall we?”

“Same?”

“Aerie, I’m Aerie. I was in here with Miss Brown. I’ve had a harrowing experience. I do have my letter finally, so I can get my wand now.”

“Oh, oh, I do remember you, ah, and there’s your little kitty.”

Moonie was laying in the window enjoying the sun just as if she was an actual kitty. Outside, up on the steps of Gringotts two men could be seen using their wands to clean spew off of themselves. One of whom, Aerie was sure, had to be Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic.

Author's Note:
PreviousChapters Next