• Published 22nd Nov 2022
  • 2,640 Views, 322 Comments

Sombasi, Brother of Sombra - Pomp-Neigh



Two brothers, born in darkness. But with seperate outcomes.

  • ...
7
 322
 2,640

Chapter 27~

-Crystal Empire: Crystal Heart Foal Center-

Celestia stands contently yet conflicted in front of the orphanage as she observes her guards preparing for their return to Equestria. Luna had long since entered their illustrious carriage with the cradled and unconscious Snowdrop, who was now the white alicorn’s niece. Her niece.

The solar ruler would surely demand some answers for these…circumstances. Why hadn’t her sister informed her about this decision? Does Luna not understand how this adoption will have a domino effect on the nobility?

Celestia raised a hoof to her temple to nurture the migraine that predicted the inevitable fallout fueled by the nobles’ outrage. And, as usual, she would be the one stuck with putting out the fires, both metaphorically and literally. And that wasn’t even including Snowdrop’s true nature.

Maker’s grace, if ponies were to find out about that…

“Rrrgh, Luna,” the sun mare growls and mutters in frustration. “Why haven’t thou confided in me?”

“Princess,” a familiar gruff voice calls out, accompanied by approaching hooves and clanking armor—pulling Celestia out of her trance. “We’re ready to depart.”

“Thank thee, Meadow Song,” Celestia managed after regaining her composure.

The yellow unicorn stallion gives her a saluting gesture and turns away.

“A moment, Meadow,” the alicorn said while reaching out with her right wing.

“Yes, princess?” Meadow answered, turning around to face the solar mare, who folded her wing and donned a pleasant smile.

“I’d like to commend thee for thine excellent work back there.” Meadow’s ears perked up as a sense of pride grew within him. He knew where this was going.

“I was simply doing what was expected of me, princess. Trottingham’s actions were absolutely disgraceful,” he quickly glanced back to Terrain in disappointment—who was strapping himself into the reigns of the carriage along with the other guards—and looked back to Celestia, “and I refuse to allow him to insult that mare, disrespect those foals and embarrass the Solar Guard any further. I had to speak my mind, princess…”

The alicorn nodded her approval. “Thou hath displayed what a true member of the guard should always strive to be. We must all carry ourselves with the core tenants of harmony, and thine actions hath made thine princess proud. Thine superiors shall be notified, and thine family shall hear of this. I shall see to it personally.”

Gratitude and utter shock had formed on Meadow’s face as he voicelessly watched Celestia make her way around him.

“I think I smell promotion in the air, my little pony,” she said while passing by, her hoof steps distancing further and further, leaving behind the stupefied guard.

Meadow finally manages to recollect himself, taking on a blank expression, although it falters for a moment as he prances in place and mutters both gratuitously and excitedly:

“Promoted… Promooooteeeed.”

……….

As Celestia approached the carriage’s rear, passing by the reigns lined with equestrian guards—Meadow making his way over to the forefront—she paused and subtly shot a displeased sideglance toward Terrain. It saddened her greatly to see a member of the Trottingham family act in such a manner. The poor stallion’s father will not be pleased to hear of this.

The Trottinghams were among the oldest families of Equestria’s nobility, along with the De Lis, Prancy Pants, Velvets, Terras, and even the descendants of the three leaders of the three pony tribes during the warring era: Chancellor Puddinghead, Commander Hurricane, and Princess Platinum.

Of course, that also includes the three historical figures who were singlehoofedly responsible for bringing the tribes together, each having been a companion or direct assistant to the three leaders: Smart Cookie of the earth ponies, Private Pansy of the pegasi, and Clover the Clever of the unicorns. That trio sparked the Fire of Friendship and thawed the icy grips of hatred, ultimately leading to the repellent of the windigos.

Celestia always enjoyed recalling that tale, one of the many passed onto her and her sister via Star Swirl the Bearded. But now the matter with windigos all came full circle with Snowdrop. Now, thanks to Luna, windigos would leave yet another mark on Equestria’s history. If things weren’t handled carefully, chaos would be on the horizon. Hay, the solar mare could practically hear Discord laughing in his stone prison.

‘Bwahahahahahah…!’

“Tartarus-damned jester,” she whispered in annoyance.

After a moment’s pause, she shakes all of her thoughts and worries away for the time being and continues onward.


“Hm hm hm hmmhmm, hm hmm hm hmmhmm…”

Luna hums a lullaby within the carriage’s inner sanctum and on the ‘lunar half’ of the vehicle as Snowdrop sleeps peacefully within the alicorn’s embrace. The night mare shifts in place and leans sideways on her moon-themed furnishing, setting the slumbering filly down on the soft cushion along her stomach region.

If one were to look at the scene from a certain angle, it almost looked as if Snowdrop was suckling the lunar princess like a newborn babe, a thought that abruptly ceased her lullaby, shot her eyes wide open, and caused a crimson-red patch to form on her cheeks.

She joyously chuckled at those thoughts, draping a forehoof gently across the pegasus’ back. “I promise thee, Snowdrop. Thou shalt know naught but pure bliss from this day forward. Pray, shouldst thou hast any need of me, simply voice thine request, and I shall grant thee boons aplenty.”

Her attention is suddenly pulled toward a golden aura enveloping the carriage’s rear door’s handle, sighing in displeasure while doing so. The handle fidgets in the aura before turning downward, indicating someone had turned it clockwise from the outside.

The door is willed open by none other than her sister, who strides in elegantly, willing the door to close behind her as she clops past the table set between the sun and moon-themed furnishings.

“Sister,” Luna greets almost monotonously.

“Luna,” Celestia returns in kind, setting herself down on her appropriately matched furniture.

The lunar sibling could tell that something was bothering the older alicorn, and their hesitation radiated off of them. “Speak thine mind, sister,” Luna began, Celestia’s ears perking up. “I am quite efficient in deciphering thine ‘masks.’”

Celestia stares at her sister for a window of seconds, followed by a sigh. “Forsooth.” The solar mare shifts her form into a posture of intoxicating authority and sternness.

“Why haven’t thee spoken to me about,” she waves a hoof towards Snowdrop, “this?”

Luna raises a brow, “And why, pray tell, should I need thine permission to act?” She scoffed. “As if thou ever cared.”

Those words admittedly stung the solar mare’s heart, but she took a deep breath to compose herself. Turning away, Celestia lifts a golden-clotted forehoof and pulls aside a white curtain bearing the insignia of the sun. She then maneuvers the window and slides it to the right.

“Summer Blaze.”

“Yes, princess?” Summer Blaze responds as the orange pegasus, seated at coach and overseeing the reigned guards, lowers her head and peers into the carriage window, her yellow mane hanging over her shoulder.

“How long until we disembark?”

“We’re just about to complete our preparations, ma’am. Once those up front strap themselves in and I get a full status report on our supplies, we’ll be heading off.”

“Very good. Pray, my sister and I will need some privacy. We have important matters to discuss, so please ensure that nopony disturbs us—save for an emergency.”

“By your will, Princess Celestia.”

As the pegasus pulls away, Celestia slides the window shut and conceals the outside world by sliding the curtain into place. During this process, her mind was overflowing with thoughts—thoughts about just how she was going to approach the coming storm.

She shuffles in place and faces her sister, firing up her horn in cautious anticipation. A pulse of golden energy bursts from her horn and practically encases the carriage in a bubble, but one that seems to go unnoticed by those outside.

“A silencing spell, sister?” Luna determined, narrowing her eyes. “Wait… Thou hast also cast it upon Snow-” Her eyes widen in realization, “Ah. I see. So thou‘rt going to give me a lecture for this adoption, hmm? Tch. Typical.” The night mare turns her gaze away. “Thou had best save thine breath. I will not be parted with my daughter, sister.”

Celestia remained silent. She stared at her sister for what felt like an eternity despite their attention being diverted to the closed lunar window shrouded behind its appropriate curtain.

‘Open up to each other, Celly.’ Amore’s past words flowed through the sun alicorn’s mind. ‘If you want to find the root of the problem, you’ll have to do some digging. But heed my warning, old friend: you’ll find the dig to be just as harsh as what’s below the surface.’

Celestia’s eyes hardened, and her nerves steeled. Now was the time.

“I’d like for us to talk freely and openly with one another, sister… Like we used to do before our fight with Discord.”

Luna’s ears twitched at that, and she even had to fight back the urge to fold them against her head. Still, her gaze remained fixated on the window, which prompted Celestia to continue.

“We were so close back then…” A smile crept onto the edges of Celestia’s muzzle as a brief flow of joyful memories unfolded like one of those historic plays hosted back in Equestria. A sorrowful sigh would then sweep this away.

“I miss those days dearly. I guess what I’m trying to say, Lulu, is that I want us to trust each other again.”

The dead silence, save for Snowdrop’s steady breathing, was the only answer Celestia received. However, like her sister, she, too, was quite adept at reading her sibling’s ‘masks.’ Luna may be quietly staring off and away, but the solar mare could see that her words had an effect. And now, like a planted seed, she only needed to wait for it to take root.

The carriage began to move, and thus their journey home started with the turning of wheels and the strength of armored guards.

Finally, Luna lets out a long and drawn-out sigh, drenched in a plethora of emotions. “Very well, sister.” The dark mare lifts herself up carefully to not disturb Snowdrop’s deep slumber.

Celestia watched and patiently waited as Luna set herself down on another cushion of her furnishing. The lunar mare met her sibling’s gaze, at which point they stared at one another.

“Shall I start us off?” Celestia asked.

Luna nods. Well, at least she asked this time and did not push her aside to take control, the lunar mare reasoned.

The solar co-ruler sat in thought, complete with closed eyes. “I must be blunt with thee, Lulu.” She opened her eyes and prayed internally to her parents, the Maker, and any and all deities that would listen.

She knew that what she was about to say…would start the dreaded storm she feared, but this was necessary.

“I feel as though thou‘rt inept as a princess. Thine performance has been…lacking, to say the least.”

Initially, Luna stared at her with wide eyes and ears that raised up to the ceiling. But Celestia could feel an ominous omen slowly leaking from her sister’s form, and that wasn’t even counting the slight temperature drop in the carriage.

"Sister...we can and should talk this out rationally."

Even during Celestia's plea, the younger alicorn’s features morphed slowly into a scowl with grinding teeth, and her wings began to flare.

...WHAT…?!”