• Published 22nd Nov 2022
  • 2,640 Views, 322 Comments

Sombasi, Brother of Sombra - Pomp-Neigh



Two brothers, born in darkness. But with seperate outcomes.

  • ...
7
 322
 2,640

Chapter 24~

“I came for thee, Snowdrop… Wouldst thou do me the honor of becoming my daughter?”

Snowdrop’s heart beat rapidly, yet she could not truly process the words that had just been spoken. She stared up at Luna, dumbfounded and in disbelief. But reality finally sets in as her mind catches up with her heart.

The Night Princess wants to adopt…her.

“This is amazing, Snowy!” Radiant Hope declared while standing on the crystal table. “You’re getting adopted!” She hopped excitedly as Sombra, Sombasi, and Miss. Chestnut looked on with vibrant smiles.

Sweet Amore, Snowdrop has longed to hear those words from anypony. But Luna? She was special, and this was truly a dream come true! And yet…there was doubt.

“Wh… L-Luna…I-I…” Snowdrop’s eyes faltered as she lowered her head with quivering lips. “I-I’m not worthy…”

The blind filly’s words startled everyone except for Luna, who looked down upon Snowdrop blankly. The gears were turning in her ancient head as she ran a caressing hoof along the pegasus’ ice-colored mane.

“Snowdrop, I-”

“I can’t accept this!” Snowdrop screamed while maintaining her downward gaze, tears forming and falling onto Luna’s fur. “Don’t you understand, Luna?! I’m just some blind filly who will be nothing but a burden to you!” She shot her tearful gaze up to meet Luna’s as she unleashed her inner turmoil, “I always heard what the adults said about me when they come here for adoptions!”

Miss. Chestnut lets loose a sharp gasp nearby. “Snowdrop, dearie…” She rests a hoof on her chest, face filled with sorrow as Sombra, Sombasi, and Hope seem confused. “Y-you heard all of that…?”

Snowdrop shoots her gaze over to the chestnut mare. “Of course I did! I hear everything that goes on here. My condition is also a blessing, as you so often told me, Miss. Chestnut.”

“W-what does she mean by that, Miss. Chestnut?” Hope asked as Sombra and Sombasi looked up at the crystal earth pony on either side.

The orphanage caretaker’s eyes slowly fell to the crystal floor remorsefully, “I’ve had many ponies who were interested in Snowdrop,” she sighed, “...at first.”

“At…first?” Sombasi questioned. But the implication was picked up by Sombra and Hope immediately.

“O-oh…” Sombra’s ears fold against his head.

“Aw, Snowy…” Hope remorsed. “I’m so sorry…”

Sombasi still seemed confused, much to Snowdrop’s growing frustration. “Oh, for the love of Amore, Sombasi,” she said with a growl. “Do I have to spell it out for you again? I’m blind!” She emphasized by gesturing at her eyes, letting silence take hold to drive home the point as she lowered her head.

“Nopony…wants a burden like me…” She finished before turning around to stare at Luna’s chest, despite her visual disability.

“It was all just shy of a year ago,” Miss. Chestnut began, garnering Sombra, Sombasi, and Hope’s attention. Snowdrop already knew what was coming while Luna listened attentively, having drawn up several theories of her own.

“Let me start by saying that, as a matter of privacy, I can not reveal the names of those involved. But to put it simply, an earth pony couple came by and specifically wanted a pegasus filly of their own.

And Snowdrop was their immediate choice.”

Sombra, Hope, and Sombasi all shared shocked expressions. What? When did that happen? More importantly, why did Snowdrop never tell them about this?

“Everything was going well during the adoption process, and Snowdrop was keeping it a secret so that she could surprise you three with the good news.” The chestnut mare sighed, “If only I hadn’t overlooked-”

“It wasn’t your fault, Miss. Chestnut,” Snowdrop gently intervenes, and all eyes turn to her, although her back remains turned to them. “I was just so excited to have been chosen that I didn’t tell those ponies about my…condition.”

“I appreciate that, sweetie, but it is my fault,” Miss. Chestnut states. “I should’ve told them about you from the start. Hay, I should’ve anticipated their choice of you over the other pegasi in the orphanage. My foolishness gave you false hope…and it was taken away all the same. Please forgive me…”

“It’s not you, Miss. Chestnut… It’s me…”

Silence stakes its claim as Luna attempts to comfort the blind filly. But Snowdrop gently bats the hoof away, causing a frown to form on the alicorn’s face as the icy pegasus turns to face the direction of the others in attendance.

“Do you understand now? Nopony will ever want me.” Snowdrop closed her eyes with quivering lips, “And n-nopony…ever will…”

Faster than anyone could’ve reacted, the pegasus filly abruptly pulls away from Luna and jumps off of the alicorn.

Once her hooves reached the ground, she could easily maneuver around her friends and loved ones and make for the room’s exit. At least…that was the plan.

A dark-blue magical aura surrounds and catches Snowdrop in the air. She tries to resist as she looks back to the night princess, the source of the magical grasp, complete with an alighted horn.

“Luna, please!” The pegasus pleads. “J-just find someone else who’s more worthy-”

“Cease thine foalish tongue at once, Snowdrop.

The tone of those words was more of an authoritative order, and Snowdrop submitted as she remained silent, her tearful gaze slowly downcast.

Luna shifts her sights over to Miss. Chestnut and the brotherly duo alongside her. “I require privacy at once. Tis...a matter I must resolve with her alone.”

The orphanage caretaker nods in understanding. “Come along, Sombra, Sombasi. You too, Hope,” she called out as she looked at the unicorn crystal filly standing on the table, who then lept off and joined the chestnut mare and the dark colt duo near the entrance.

They take their leave as Miss. Chestnut closes the door behind them, leaving Luna and Snowdrop alone in vacant silence, save for the sniffles and low sobs Snowdrop would let loose.

The alicorn then floats the sorrowful filly close and sets them down on her chest before wrapping a forelimb around the icy pegasus’ back—admittedly to prevent any further escape attempts.

Snowdrop sniffles, “L-Luna…please…” She wipes away her tears with a forehoof, “Just find another-”

Enough…Snowdrop…”

Snowdrop’s ears twitched as something fell to the crystal floor like a raindrop alongside those somber-toned words. This caused the filly’s eyes to widen as her senses deciphered a revelation.

“Luna, are you…c-crying…?”

Luna’s hoof guided Snowdrop’s head upward, and the alicorn looked down upon those tear-filled features with one of her own.

“Listen well, child mine.”

‘Childmine’...”

“Indeed. I realize it might be forward of me to say so. However, these parchments verify that claim,” Luna said while gesturing at the nearby papers on the table, “but only if thou wouldst take me as thy mother.”

Luna glides a hoof down Snowdrop’s mane with utmost care. “Thou’rt loved so much more than thee knows. It matters not what other ponies might think; always know that to me and to those who love thee, thine worth is immeasurable.”

“I know that… I know how much you all care about me, but this is...different.”

“I fail to see why, child mine.”

“Because I’m not worth the trouble adopting me would bring.” Luna allowed the filly to continue as she repeatedly glided her hoof up and down Snowdrop’s mane and back. “I mean, just think about the ponies of Equestria… How would they react to you adopting somepony like…me?”

Luna lets loose a hearty chuckle, using one wing to wipe away her tears and the other for Snowdrop’s.

“I must truly commend Miss. Chestnut for her teachings if one at such a young age would consider such…outcomes. Yes, I bare little doubt that this decision will impact my subjects.” - Even though they’re more Celestia’s - “But thou’rt worth it, Snowdrop. Come good or bad, I shall endure it willingly… With thou at my side.”

“But, my blindness-”

“Is part of the wondrous package I see before me,” Luna interjects softly. “Do you not realize it yet? I accept thee, child mine—flaws and all. And I am more than willing to carry such a burden with you so that mayhaps, together, we can find a resolution. One that shall pave a grand future for us both and all of Equestria.”

“If you…” Snowdrop swallows a lump in her throat. “If I did accept the adoption, w-wouldn’t that make me…”

“A Princess of Equestria, yes,” Luna answered. “That would naturally come in time, considering thy age. But I would see to it that thou art more than prepared.”

“But…what if I don’t want to be a princess?”

“Then that is fine, too. Whether it be as a princess, nobility, or even a commoner, thou wouldst still be my daughter. And I shall love thee no matter what.”

Silence grasps the room as Snowdrop absorbs everything that was said.

“...why?” The filly asked, breaking the silence.

“Pardon?” Luna inquires with a raised brow.

“Why me? I know we had a great time together yesterday, but…why me, Luna? Surely that couldn’t be all there is to it…”

The alicorn takes a moment to think of a proper response. There were a multitude of reasons, all of which were true. She genuinely wanted to have Snowdrop as her own child, to give the filly hope for a better life.

Just as that same filly gave her hope… And, without realizing it, had helped to keep festering darkness at bay.

Snowdrop would undoubtedly set off a new era where ponies would admire and love the sun and moon. Celestia’s work wouldn’t be the only one that’s gratified—Luna’s would be, too. Of that, the night alicorn was certain.

There was also Fimbulvetr’s request, not to mention the overall revelation of what Snowdrop truly was. The gears turned in Luna’s head, and given time, she and Snowdrop could tackle that together.

But all of that would come after what was decided here and now. Thus, the alicorn was resolute and found the appropriate words.

“I hath a confession, child mine.”

“C-confession…?”

“Yes… I hath only ever revealed this to very few; not even my sister knows. I am…lonely. A loneliness that was birthed from…bitterness.”

Those words simply dumbfounded Snowdrop. “Wh…what…?”

“The ponies of Equestria…they only ever loved my sister’s day but forever shunned my night.”

“That- that can’t be true, Luna. I’m sure that somepony-”

“Trust me, child mine… I hath searched most thoroughly, even by means some might find invasive. So when I say that the ponies of Equestria do not enjoy my night, I mean it.” Luna solemnly sighs, “Sometimes I even fantasized about swapping places with Princess Amore.”

“Luna…” Snowdrop said, saddened.

The night princess closed her eyes, ears folding against her head. “Last night, I wanted to see if there were other ponies like thee in the empire. The revelation was…awe-inspiring. And it confirmed what I’ve always suspected, thus my foalish fantasy.

Still, how would things be If I were born of the Crystal Empire? I had to wonder. To think that an allied nation hath more love for my night than my own domain…my own sister…

But even amongst all those who appreciate my night in the empire, thou outshines them all, child mine. As vibrantly as the moon itself.”

It was then that a wave of realization washed over Snowdrop as no more words had been spoken, and the two sat in silence again. It all made sense now—Luna’s reaction to her words when they first met and the thorough conversations of the moon, stars, and the night that followed.

She had given Luna something that was denied for so long… Appreciation. And Luna, in turn, was just doing the same. A part of her would always feel unworthy, and yet…

“Luna?”

Luna’s windows to her soul opened slowly. “Yes, child mine?”

Child mine. Snowdrop liked the sound of that.

“I’m grateful you call me that because…yes.”

Luna’s eyes widened with a gasp. “D-doth thou means to s-say…”

Snowdrop nods her head, “I accept your adoption…” She smiles as tears travel down her cheeks, “Mom.”

Luna’s response had no need for words, only action as she lovingly wrapped her forehooves and wings around Snowdrop—around her daughter. And the filly was more than happy to reciprocate.

They wept silently together, but those tears were now shed from pure joy, which was also plastered on their faces.

However, unbeknownst to them both, something was unpleasantly watching them from within the reflection of the crystals around them. An equine-shaped presence with slitted teal eyes, outstretched wings, and an appearance all too similar to Luna’s…save for a coat of all-encompassing darkness.