• Published 22nd Nov 2022
  • 2,628 Views, 322 Comments

Sombasi, Brother of Sombra - Pomp-Neigh



Two brothers, born in darkness. But with seperate outcomes.

  • ...
7
 322
 2,628

Chapter 7~

-Crystal Empire: Castle Dining Room-

The clanking of plates with accompanying silverware echoes as they’re set down upon a large, crystalline, and oval-shaped table resting within the chamber’s epicenter.

Many servers of either gender and all three types donned in what one would often associate with kitchen staff tend to their three royal charges. Princess Amore sits at the table’s forefront as a plate is lowered and rested before her by a crystal unicorn stallion’s orange magical grasp.

“Thank you, my little pony,” Amore expressed, the unicorn server nodding with a smile before trotting away.

King Malik sat to Amore’s right and along the table’s length, nine other crystalline furnishings going down the line with ten others evenly adjacent on the other side. A crystal earth pony mare with a shimmering green coat—an ever-present phenomenon both Olstrom and Malik had always been thrown off by yet admired—rests the King’s platter and silverware down.

“My, my,” the King began, eyeing the mare with great interest. “I am torn between what is far more beautiful: the Empire or its denizens.” his words garner the mare’s attention. “Especially the mares.” he finished with a wink.

The mare’s eyes widened with a jolt. “S-s-surly y-y-you jest, y-your ma-jesty,” she struggled, features reddened.

“On the contrary, I’m only speaking truthfully and, if I may,” Malik gently grabs onto the mare’s left foreleg, lifting it and planting a kiss just above the hoove’s base before pulling away gently.

“Please, just call me Malik.”

A moment of stunned silence takes hold, the mare unable to recollect herself while imitating a goldfish as Malik beamed at her, his looks and smile on glorious display.

Prince Olstrom clears his throat, breaking the silence and standing on guard alongside his seated brother. “That’ll be enough, brother. We have important affairs to attend to, so leave the mare be.”

Malik turns to the covered black stallion with disappointment. “Truly, dear brother of mine, you are the destroyer of all that is fun.”

“And you are the enemy of all mares.” Olstrom shifts his gaze to the mare. “Ma’am, I am obligated to inform you that my brother is already married and has a herd.”

“Y-you’re married?!” the mare screamed, disappointment and betrayal drenched in her tone. “You scoundrel!” she turns away with a ‘Humph,’ lifting her chin as she trots off, although she stops a small distance away from Olstrom.

“You should teach your brother some manners, your highness.”

“Noted,” Olstrom responds. The server mare nods and takes her leave, King Malik observing in stunned silence with an agape jaw.

Malik turned to his brother, back to the retreating mare, and back to his brother again.

“You traitor!” he exclaimed with an appointed forelimb.

“You’re welcome.” Olstrom ended with a chuckle.

“Ohohohahaha!” the laughter of one Princess Amore makes itself known, drawing the brothers toward her as she found great amusement in the entire affair.

“Goodness, I love this,” the vermillion mare began, slapping the table with a forelimb. “You two are such a breath of fresh air.” she sighs longingly, “By Letona, what I’d give to have a sibling of my own.”

Olstrom stoically held his gaze forward, Malik glaring at his adoptive sibling, chuckling afterward. But a thought occurred to the king, his growing curiosity garnering Amore’s attention.

“Something on your mind, King Malik?”

“Myes. Exceptionally discerning, princess.”

A crystal pegasus waiter suddenly sets down three empty glasses, one for each royal in attendance, which halts King Malik’s words for a time. A filled transparent pitcher with cool droplets of water sliding down its side is floated over each glassware utilizing an alighted unicorn horn.

The sounds of their refreshments being served only stimulated their thirst, and once King Malik’s cup was filled, he greedily swiped it off the table and chugged it down without hesitation.

“Ahhhh!” he expressed in pure bliss. “That’s exquisite, like the many pristine oases back home.” he cleared his throat, Amore floating her cup within a magical light-blue grasp and swirling its contents while Olstrom slightly removed the cloth coverings of his muzzle, partaking in his drink.

-Hmmm,- Amore thought with interest, an eye glancing towards the saddle arabian. -I wonder how he looks beneath those coverings. He’s got nice eyes, though. Hazel color, if I’m not mistaken.-

King Malik abruptly claps his forelimbs together, garnering Amore’s attention. “Alrighty then.” his gaze shifted to the princess. “You mentioned somepony named Letona? I am most curious about that.”

Amore tilts her head, mildly confused. “Oh?” a pair of ears fold against their pale vermillion owner. “Apologies for my confusion. You see, I just assumed that your parents, King Sahara and Queen Hayat, had long since passed the knowledge of Letona onto you.”

A dead silence, barring the sounds of kitchen staff making and finalizing their preparations, takes hold of the three royals. Malik’s ears folded against his head while Olstrom’s half-covered gaze wandered away.

Amore instantly read the situation and wished she had never brought up the subject, her eyes shooting wide open in horrific realization.

“Y-your message…” she sorrowfully began. “It stated that they passed the throne onto… oh, by Letona’s grace.” she brings a forelimb over quivering lips, tears threatening to escape their socket prison. “I’m so sorry…”

King Malik sighs. “Your perception is striking as always, princess.” he steels himself, lifting his head high and intaking a deep breath.

“Our parents have returned to the sands of time… but they were taken away far too soon.”

“T-taken…?” Amore shook her head, “No, you couldn’t mean-”

“Yes, princess,” Malik interjects, his tone a whirlwind of sternness and sorrow. “They were murdered.

“M-murdered…” Amore truly couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “But-why… how could…” her tearful eyes downcast to the crystal table. “They were such loving beings…” she buries her face into her forehooves, “Just like my mother.”

King Malik extends a forelimb, resting it on Amore’s right shoulder. “That’s another reason why my brother and I wanted to come and see you.” he finished, gently pulling his appendage away. “We’re just sorry that it took us two whole years after Lady Prismatic's passing.”

“N-no, no, it’s ok,” Amore says while wiping away her tears. “Suffice to say we were all recovering from our losses… but, even still, I didn’t even know of your parents’ passing until now-”

Amore’s words are cut off as Olstrom suddenly turns away with a grunt and marches toward the exit.

“O-Olstrom?!” Malik calls out with an extended forelimb. “Where are you-?!”

“For a walk!” Olstrom roared, harshly pulling one of the large doors open and passing through the exit.

……….

“And that’s why you never compare an apple to another fru-” Apple Crisp’s words abruptly stop as Olstrom exited the dining room, slamming the door shut behind him.

“Sir!” Apple Crisp and Musiqaa Melody state in unison, shifting to attention. “Wait—my prince, where are you going?” Musiqaa inquired as Olstrom passed by, seemingly ignoring them and the crystal mares present.

The two stallions shoot apologetic stares at the crystal guardmares—Steady Grapevine and Opal Pie—before trotting after-

No.

Olstrom’s authoritative tone that echoes throughout the hallway stops the duo dead in their tracks, looking back at them over his shoulder as he continues to walk down the hall.

“Stay at your posts… I need some time to myself.”

Both Musiqaa and Apple stunningly observe Olstrom’s parting form with perked-up ears until the prince vanishes around a corner.

“W-what just happened?” Musiqaa inquired, and Apple sighed.

“Ah know that tone… and even under all that cloth n’ metal, ah reckon ah know what face he’s wearin’,” the western saddle arabian began. “It can only mean one thin’: the death of his folks.”

“Sweet Celestia…” Opal comments, approaching the stallions with Grape at her side. “Does it have anything to do with… those Sirens?” she hesitantly asked.

Despite her time in the Crystal Empire, the Rock Family member still attained certain phrases she had grown up with. ‘Sweet Celestia.’ ‘Luna Damnit.’ And others of the like.

She had always tried to repress them, but situations like this were prime moments for her to slip up. She knew it wasn’t an issue but figured it’d be best to be wary—living in another kingdom and all that.

“It has everything to do with Sirens,” Musiqaa said in sorrow.

“Is there anything we can do for him?” Grape asked hopefully.

“Sadly… naw,” Apple answered. “We’ve got’tah let it pass on by.” he chuckles. “But don’t yall go worry’n ‘bout it too much; he’s a strong stallion. He’ll come back ‘fore long.”

……….

Only two royals remained in the dining room as Malik and Amore sat silently in their crystalline seats, still absorbing Olstrom’s departure. Some of the attendants present had halted their work during the prince’s disembarkment, but a single stern glance from Amore beckoned them all to return to their duties.

“He’s taking it quite hard,” Amore finally spoke. “Your brother… when I was younger, I recall Queen Hayat telling me about Olstrom during her talks with my mother—says he was very close to her.”

Malik laughs lightly. “Yes. Indeed. Olstrom loved us all immensely, but my mother? He worshipped her.” his face falters, sympathy taking over. “But it’s more than that… so much more.”

A sudden burst of magic manifests itself a short distance away from the table and toward the room’s exit, halting the royalties’ conversation.

“Princess Amore, I bring urgent news!” a light-gray crystal unicorn stallion exclaimed with wide red eyes, donned in the attire of royal assistance—his cutie mark depicting two hooves lifting a platinum crown up high.

“Ah!” Amore beamed, ears perking up and grateful for a change in the sad atmosphere. “Maneigh Marco, I was wondering where you-”

“Forgive me for the rude interjection, your highness, but they’re here! The Princesses of Equestria have arrived!”


-Crystal Empire: Chestnut Falls’ Crystal Heart Foal Center-

Sombasi mumbled in annoyance as he pulled along a small blue cart filled with his belongings down the active corridor.

“Stupid, stupid, Blue,” he scorned. “Can’t believe Sombasi has to share a room with them now.”

He then glanced at a nearby clock etched between two closed doors as he passed by, depicting the coming transition from late morning to noon. It was certainly an improvement from the clocks with those ‘hands’ going around, Sombasi never really liked those ones.

11:57 am

A frown forms on his muzzle, his plans for today having been ruined due to the conflict within the classroom. However, he did take notice of some of the other colts and fillies rushing to get outside earlier, just when he and Lobellia had exited Miss. Chestnut’s office.

The dark-gray colt simply brushed it off—they probably were just excited to go outside, he figured. Then again, the empire’s citizens were making quite the commotion, and he could hear faint shouting and cheers coming from outside the orphanage’s walls.

As Sombasi turned around a bend, his eyes widened for just a moment from what he saw, followed by a smile as he trots forth with newfound vigor.

“Brother - everypony!” Sombasi’s greeting garners the attention of Sombra, Radiant Hope, and Snowdrop. “Sombasi is happy to see you. You won’t believe the morning Sombasi has had.”

“There you are, dearest brother,” Sombra responds. “Hope and I might just surprise you with the morning we've had. Speaking of, Snowdrop has told us about-” his words die down upon noticing the wagon filled with belongings pulled by Sombasi. “Wait… why are you-”

“It’s bad, brother!” Sombasi interjects in dread. “Really, really, bad.”

The cart-pulling colt comes to a stop before the trio. “What’s wrong, Sombasi?” Hope asked, Sombra matching her worry.

“H-hi, Sombasi,” Snowdrop greets, turning away shyly.

“It is the worst thing that could ever befall any of us- it, I-” the dark colt simply couldn’t speak anymore, eyes going down to the floor ominously. “Sombasi’s life is ruined…” he muttered.

As Hope and Snowdrop looked on worriedly, Sombra trots forth and rests a forelimb on his sibling. “Relax, Sombasi. Surely, whatever has happened couldn’t possibly be-”

“Sombasi must share a room with-with-with… Blueblood!” the colt cried out after lifting his head hurriedly.

The ensuing silence was so intense that they could hear the buzzing sound of a passing fly. And after a moment, Sombra raised his head and broke the silence with what Sombasi had last expected:

“Ahahahahaha!”

Laughter.