• Published 22nd Nov 2022
  • 2,613 Views, 322 Comments

Sombasi, Brother of Sombra - Pomp-Neigh



Two brothers, born in darkness. But with seperate outcomes.

  • ...
7
 322
 2,613

Chapter 5~

Within the orphanage run by one Miss. Chestnut Falls, the light amber mare’s voice is muffled behind the closed wooden door of her office. The imported dark-brown wood that comprised the door reflected the shimmer of its crystalline doorframe.

Both Sombasi and Blueblood sat on two red furnishings, which looked more akin to oversized pillows, with their heads lowered and eyes downcasted—Miss. Chestnut glared at them from the other side of her rectangular desk, said desk matching that fantastic wood of the door.

“This needs to stop,” she demanded. “I have been quite lenient with you two and your excessive disputes, but seeing as things haven’t changed since we last spoke, I must resort to,” she smirks, “bold measures.

Each foal jolts to attention, caution festering within them. “Wh-what do you mean?” Sombasi dared.

Blueblood scoffs. “As long as I’m far away from him,” she sideglanced, “I’ll take my punishment like a true member of the Blueblood Household.”

Miss. Chestnut beams with pleasantly closed eyes. “I’m so glad to hear that because I know just what to do with you two.”

Their ears perk up.

“Lobellia Blueblood, Sombasi,” she turned her head toward each individual upon saying their name, “Effective immediately, I’ll be having you two share the same dorm—ooh! Isn’t that exciting?!” she finished with a smile.

The foals stare at their caretaker with dropped muzzles and stunned—horrified expressions. They turn to each other, back to her, each other again, and back to her. A deafening silence takes hold, but Miss. Chestnut simply beamed while inertly satisfied with her decision.

-This may finally get you two to get along.-

“M-Miss. Chestnut…” Lobellia finally managed, Sombasi too shocked/horrified by the prospect of sharing a room with her to speak. “I say this with the utmost respect, but-”

At that moment, the ‘Camera’ would pan out to the outside of the orphanage if this were a movie.

“WHAAAAAAAAAT?!!!”


A large number of crystal ponies came to a sudden halt on the streets, transactions transpiring at various merchant stands coming to a pause. Pegasi hovered in the air, eyes widened, equally as shocked and awed by the phenomenon.

The Crystal Guard began to form a line on either side of the crystalline roadway, a path leading straight to the castle slowly beginning to develop as they gently beckoned citizens to make way.

The elegant form of Princess Amore soon came into view, an entourage of guardsponies forming a V-formation behind her with the vermillion mare at the helm. But just behind her, two large stallions that could even tower over Princess Celestia, covered in fantastic clothed armor, pulled a luxurious, red wagon, its beams of built-in gold glittering and melding with the local crystal foundations.

As they approached the castle in the distance, Amore greeted her subjects with a loving smile, her ears flickering upon hearing the various ponies commenting on the passing scenario:

“Oh my!”

“Are those Saddle Arabians?”

“Wow… they’re so dreamy~

“Those muscles~

“Did you know that they live in a desert?”

“Of course! Just look at their outfit—perfect for such a scorching environment.”

“I hear it even helps to keep them warm at night.”

“Wouldn’t mind having one of those stallions keeping me warm at night~”

……….

A brown hoof with red fur at its joint pulls aside a duo of blue curtains from within the wagon, green eyes peering through the window. “Brother, you simply must see this.” a higher-pitched male voice motivated, snickering. “I can see Amore’s alluring flanks perfectly from my view. Oh, the things I’d do to that mare… mmyes.

“By the sands, show some respect, brother,” another stallion resigned with a sigh, their voice far deeper than the former’s. “Truly, your perversion befits your role as King. Besides, I think you already have enough mares for your herd back home.”

The King’s red coverings mildly flutter as he pulls away from the window, adjusting his ruby-red crown and brown mane as he looks at the pure black and lightly armored stallion before him, their features somewhat concealed. Both sat across each other on beautiful red furnishings, the closed doors to the back of the wagon present nearby.

“And you need a herd for yourself, Olstrom. Mmyes.” the King’s body shivered pleasantly during the emphasis.

“I am not interested in such a thing.” Olstrom’s attire of white cloth and gray metal adjusts as he raises his head, his features' coverings consisting of metal and silk of the same coloration, with only his hazel eyes visible. “My only concern is your safety, Malik. Along with the safety of Saddle Arabia and its equines. My only interest is my duty-”

“Bah!” Malik interjects with a dismissive forehoof, “It’s always duty this and duty that with you, relaaax. Go find a nice mare to bed-” he cuts himself off in thought, “Actually, mares back home practically throw themselves at you, mmyes—yet you reject their advancements every single time!”

“Indeed,” Olstrom responds simply.

“That’s it? Just,” Malik deepened his voice in mimicry, “‘Indeed’?” he shakes his head while clicking his tongue. “Brother, brother, brother.”

Malik lifts himself from his side of the wagon and joins his brother on the other, plopping down beside the larger stallion.

“Listen: I love you, Olstrom. I have ever since mother and father adopted you into our family. To finally have a sibling of my own filled me with joy like I fill a mare’s-”

“Please don’t finish that,” Olstrom quickly interjects monotonously.

“My point,” Malik quickly adds, “is that I only want what’s best for you. And as of now, that’s finding you a good mare to come home to or even several.” he finished with a wink.

“Mmyes.”

Olstrom sighs. “Just watch your tendencies while we’re here. Mother and father had established great relations with the Crystal Empire and Equestria, so don’t ruin it with that mouth and ‘Colorful language’ of yours. You inherited many things with that crown, brother. Never forget that.”

“Ack! How dare you!” Malik was appalled, turning away with a huff. “What nerve; of course, I know that. And after I graciously showed brotherly love-” his words are cut off as he’s pulled into an embrace, Olstrom’s black forelimb wrapped around the back of the King’s neck.

“I appreciate you far more than you know, Malik,” he retracts his limb, setting it down, “That’s why I’d give my life to preserve yours.”

Malik smiles, followed by a worried sigh. “I know that… and yet, that’s exactly why I want you to find a good mare, seeing as you refuse to take on a herd, let alone a mate.”

“Not this again-”

“Let me finish,” Malik insisted. “Brother: If such a time ever came when you laid down your life for mine—sands, I don’t want that—you’d leave me with nothing to remember you by. That’s why I want you to finally let a mare into your heart again and secure your lineage with some foals.”

Olstrom absorbed those words before turning away from his brother with a look of shame. “You know I can’t do that,” his eyes narrowed, “not after she-”

The wagon suddenly decelerates before coming to a full stop, Olstrom’s words dying down, although it was more of a convenient excuse for the dark stallion.

“It seems we’ve arrived,” Malik comments, pulling aside a nearby curtain and nodding upon confirming his words via the window. He closes the curtain again, and the nearby door’s handle fidgets before parting.

The sounds of cheers and multitudes of voices graced their ears, and one of the stallions who pulled their wagon came into view.

“King Malik, Prince Olstrom,” their voice was mildly muffled by the cloth that covers their muzzle. “The area is secured; please depart from the wagon when you two are ready.”

“Sands preserve you, my good sir,” Malik responds with a nod, the guard returning the gesture before stepping aside and taking a position to the right side of the wagon’s rear, his companion stationed to the left.

Malik shifts his gaze to his brother. “Yup, you definitely trained them,” he smirked, “They’re almost as boring and constantly stoic as you are.”

“It’s called discipline,” Olstrom responds. “Would you rather our guards be seen as ‘For decoration,’ like those in Equestria?”

Ouch. That’s cold, brother.”

“It’s the truth.”

Malik rolls his eyes. “If you say so.” he then turns to the door and makes his way to the exit, Olstrom following close behind as he grabs a pair of sheathed blades resting on a rack along the way, attaching them to either of his sides.

The two brothers stepped out into the light, Malik’s mane and apparel fluttering in the wind as the empire’s masses shouted and screamed their greetings. Olstrom remained just behind his royal charge, the two guards behind him falling in line on either side.

Nearby, Princess Amore raises a forelimb towards her subjects with a dozen guards organized around her, the loud masses slowly dying to curious whispers before total silence takes hold.

“Please begin when you are ready, King Malik,” she finished with a smile. “My ponies are quite eager to meet you and your brother.”

-I need to marry this mare,- Malik said internally. “My thanks, and, if I may, the rumors of your beauty are certainly true, my lady. Yes.”

“Oh, stop,” Amore dismissed while looking away with laughter.

-He seems nice, but I can't help but feel... uncomfortable,- She said internally.

The King of Saddle Arabia takes a deep breath with closed eyes and flaring nostrils. “All right, then,” he muttered. The red stallion raised his head high, his chest rising to display the coming declaration:

“Citizens of the Crystal Empire! I am King Malik Shattershield of Saddle Arabia, joined by some of my finest warriors, led by my dearest brother, Prince Olstrom Shattershield!”

The King raised a forelimb and stepped sideways, presenting the black stallion cloaked behind his armor. The difference between the two is night and day, Olstrom clouded in dark mystery, with Malik radiating for all to see like Celestia’s sphere of warmth hovering just above.

A sudden, small, and yellow presence emerges from the crowd as a pegasus foal runs toward Olstrom in a full gallop, a white pegasus mare emerging soon after in a panic.

“H-hello, sir!” Olstrom’s ears deciphered a young colt, the young equine skiing to a halt before the saddle arabian. But what certainly gained his attention was the rainbow-colored mane the colt sported.

-The ponies of Equestria and the Crystal Empire sure are vibrant,- Olstrom inertly noted.

“I just wanted to say that you look awesome!” the colt hopped in place. “You look like somepony straight out of those action stories!”

“Rainbow Chaser!” the white pegasus mare chasing him interjects, landing beside him and adjusting her blue mane before bowing respectfully to the royalties present. “P-please excuse my son, your majesties.”

“Mooom!” Rainbow Chaser dragged. “You’re embarrassing me!”

“It’s alright,” Olstrom’s voice garnered their attention. “No harm has been done.”

“Wow!” the rainbow colt beamed. “You even sound awesome!”

“Okay, that’s quite enough, sweetie,” his mother gently nudged him with her muzzle, “Your father and the rest of the flock are waiting for us; we leave for Cloudsdale in ten minutes.”

“Awww,” the colt’s ears folded against his head, disappointment taking hold. “I wanted to stay here a little longer…”

“I know, sweetie, but your wings aren’t developed enough for flight yet.”

During this time, King Malik and Princess Amore became engulfed in conversation a short distance away, the two guards stationed behind Olstrom keeping their posts.

“Never challenge the authority of a proper mother, young one,” Olstrom suddenly began, garnering Rainbow’s attention. “She’s only looking out for you, and, as such, I ask that you protect and respect her for the rest of your days.”

“Yeah, I know,” the colt agreed, his mother patting him with a forelimb.

Olstrom nods. “Sands preserve you, Rainbow Chaser.”

Rainbow nods rapidly. “Oh, you too! Uhm, sands preserve you?” he asked, unsure.

Olstrom chuckles. “That’s correct.”

With a flap of her wings, Rainbow Chaser’s mother hovers in place before grabbing onto the colt with her forelimbs.

“Goodbye, sir!” the colt waved, his mother doing the same before they flew off together.

And as the pegasi distanced themselves from the castle, Olstrom keeping his covered gaze on their distantly fading forms, one of his guards lets loose a snicker they’ve been trying to hold back, followed by a deep, western voice:

“Like ah always said: big ol' softie.”

“Shut it, Apple Crisp.”