• Published 22nd Nov 2022
  • 2,640 Views, 322 Comments

Sombasi, Brother of Sombra - Pomp-Neigh



Two brothers, born in darkness. But with seperate outcomes.

  • ...
7
 322
 2,640

Chapter 30~

As the trio of orphans traversed along the dirt road while locked in conversation, they soon arrived at an incline overlooking the southern training grounds.

“Here we are, Hope!” Sombra declares as the trio looks down upon several patches of armored guardsmares and stallions of all types littering the fields and crowding the corralled arenas, observing those who trained and contended within.

“Wowie!” The crystal unicorn filly gleamed. “It’s been a while since I last came here with Miss. Chestnut.”

As they converse, Sombasi’s head turns as he shuffles through each arena, eyes widening as he spots the same one he and his brother once had contended in, resulting in the eventual conflict between Prince Olstrom and Hoo’Far.

“Sombasi sees Prince Osltrom! And… Hey, wait a second…” His words slowly died down as his green eyes narrowed to ascertain something. “Isn’t that that Hoo’Far stallion?”

Sombra and Hope follow the dark grey colt’s gaze, spotting the appropriate arena and squinting their eyes, whereupon they spot the black Saddle Arabian Prince addressing a formation line of some of Saddle Arabia’s finest warriors.

“Oh! I recognize those two saddle arabians right there!” Hope exclaimed with an appointed forelimb. “Their names are Musiqaa Melody and Apple Crisp. I met them and a few nice mares in the castle.” She zips forth in a full gallop, “Come on; let’s go!”

The brotherly duo chuckles joyously before chasing the crystal unicorn filly, catching up to her as they continue onward to the target corral arena together.


Hoo’Far outwardly held a neutral expression, donned in the militaristic desert-dwelling attire Saddle Arabia was known for as he observed Prince Olstrom striding back and forth along the line of saddle arabian warriors numbering twelve individuals—the red unicorn and saddle arabian hybrid among them and stationed towards the epicenter.

The prince’s muzzle moved as he addressed the wall of warriors, but Hoo’Far truly couldn’t care less for any of the words leaving the black-coated royal’s disgusting mouth.

‘Shattershield,’ Hoo’Far scorns internally as Olstrom turns around and walks along the line in his direction. ‘To think that I have to fall in line under that accursed name!’

The hybrid’s brown eyes follow Olstrom’s passing form with subtle displeasure, the Saddle Arabian Prince’s muzzle continuing to run, its unleashed words being blatantly ignored.

Hoo’Far refused to hear any of it!

And yet…

As Olstrom ventures further down the way, a hot air of frustration and resignation is snorted from Hoo’Far’s nostrils, and he slowly and somberly closes his eyes. Despite his hatred of the Shattershield name, and as much as he despised these circumstances, being discharged from the guard would’ve brought great dishonor to his father.

And that was something he could never allow.

However, as the hybrid opens his orbs, something within his peripheral vision demands his attention. He turns his head to the left and toward the direction of the Crystal Empire, where he spots a young trio of foals—two among them causing a feeling of guilt to rise within.

‘It’s them… I believe their names were…’

……….

Sombra, Sombasi, and Radiant Hope stroll peacefully through the arena’s open gate with the eldest dark-gray sibling in the lead, the trio’s presence immediately gaining the attention of the saddle arabians within.

“Ah,” Olstrom began, having paused in place and turned to face the foals. “Welcome, musadas. And I see you’ve brought a young muhra with you.”

“Musada?” Hope inquired as she and the brotherly duo came to a stop and stood before the large equine. “Muhra? My fairy friends and I want to know what those mean?”

‘Fairy friends…?’ Olstrom pondered mentally. ‘Hmmm… Must be a pony thing.’

“Sombra remembers ‘musada’ meaning colt in arabic,” Sombra answered during Olstrom’s inner thoughts. “So, is Sombra correct in guessing ‘muhra’ means filly?”

“That’s correct.”

A third and familiar voice answered and presented itself, causing the trio of foals and Osltrom to turn to its approaching source.

“Oh! Hi there!” Hope greets with a waving forehoof.

“Mrhban,” Hoo’Far responds, though making aptly sure to step as far away from Osltrom. “It means ‘hello.’” He taught before shifting his gaze over to the brotherly duo.

“Sombra, Sombasi. I would like to once again apologize for what happened yesterday, although that pertains exclusively to having unintentionally involved you two in myself and the nearby imbecile’s battle.”

Charmed…” Olstrom comments with a deadpan expression.

Hoo’Far ignores the Prince, rolling his eyes as he kneels genuinely before the colts—Hope gasping and excitedly making her way over to Musiqaa Melody and Apple Crisp, who remain in formation with the other saddle arabians.

“Please, forgive me for my foolishness.”

Sombra and Sombasi’s eyes had long since widened from the stallion’s actions, sharing a look with one another and setting their sights forward again.

“It’s ok, sir,” Sombra assured. “It actually gave Sombra and Sombasi something pretty cool to watch.”

“Yeah!” Sombasi chimed in. “Especially when Prince Olstrom made that wall of mud and dirt appear.” The unicorn colt’s green eyes travel to Osltrom, “Could you teach Sombasi and Sombra to do that?”

The saddle arabian prince heartfully chuckles. “Maybe one day, musadas.”

“Awww,” Sombasi wilted. “No fair; you probably won’t even come back after you leave.”

Sombra’s eyes shoot wide open, smiling nervously as he gently bonks his brother’s head.

“Oof—hey!”

“What my brother means to say is that this might be the only opportunity we’d have to learn.”

“Hmm… Fair,” Olstrom agreed. “Well, the truth is-”

“You two won’t learn anything from this princess,” Hoo’Far interjects, stepping forth as Olstrom shakes his head with displeased, half-lidded eyes.

“Take it from me,” Hoo’Far starts before lifting a hoof and pointing it at his horn. “It’s best to master this before tackling something like Primal Grasp. Let me ask you: do either of you know how to use magic with your horns?”

The brothers froze up at that, laughing nervously after a moment’s pause while rubbing the back of their necks.

“N-no, sir.”

“We, uh, don’t know how to use any magic yet…”

Hoo’Far nods affirmatively. “You don’t want to rush it, young gems. Take your time; you’re both still very young. Besides, even if this princess-”

Prince.”

“Princess, right. Anyway, as I was saying. Even if he and the others were to return to Saddle Arabia, you’d still have me here to teach you Primal Grasp.”

“Oh?” Olstrom asked with a raised brow. “Are you insinuating that you’ve already mastered one of Saddle Arabia’s historical techniques?”

Hoo’Far growls through closed lips, although his expression mildly betrays his former confidence.

“Y-yeah! Of course, I know how to do it!”

“Really? So that wasn’t shock and awe I saw on your face yesterday?”

“I was just surprised, that’s all!”

Riiight… Hmmm… Alright then.” Olstrom moves away to make some room, the nearby saddle arabians’ and Hope being drawn to his actions.

“Show me.”

Hoo’Far’s eyes widen, shifting side to side as he struggles to maintain his display of certainty. After a moment of internal conflict and trying not to admit his shortcomings, the red hybrid clears his throat with utmost confidence.

“Y-yeah, w-well, I c-could, but…”

“Don’t tell me; you’re not in the mood?”

Sombra and Sombasi look to Olstrom.

“Tch. What? One of Saddle Arabia’s ‘techniques’ is being psychic?”

The brothers look to Hoo’Far.

“No… But my horse instincts are screaming lies.”

“Why you…!”

Meanwhile…

“Wow…” Sombasi whispered to his brother as Hoo’Far and Olstrom glared at one another. “They really don’t like each other.”

“I think it’s more Hoo’Far doesn’t like Olstrom,” Sombra responds, matching his sibling’s whisper. “What Sombra wonders is why?”

A loud and ferocious whinny startles them, their attention shooting towards Osltrom and Hoo’Far as the half-bred saddle arabian can be seen walking away and falling into line with the other warriors, the saddle arabian prince never tearing his sights away during their departure.

With a tired sigh, Olstrom turns his head to look down upon the duo of dark-gray colts. “Apologies, musadas. He’s…adjusting to some recent changes.”

“Recent…changes?” Sombasi asked in interest.

“Indeed. You two remember what General Atlas asked of me?”

“Oh, I remember,” Sombra answered in realization. “It was up to you to decide what happens with Hoo’Far, right?”

Olstrom nods. “Hence why Hoo’Far is wearing the warrior’s ensemble of Saddle Arabia. Simply put, he now works under my command until our departure.”

“How long will that be?” Sombasi questioned.

“Just shy of a month, give or take.”

“Huh.” Sombra ponders on that for a moment, a hoof resting beneath his chin. “The Princesses of Equestria were only here for a day. Is there a reason why you’re going to be here for so long?”

“My brother, King Malik, and Princess Amore have decided to hold a festival to honor my mother and father’s passing. Suffice it to say, we’re more than honored to stay here and partake before returning to our homeland.”

“O-oh…” Sombasi said somberly as he and his brother realized the implications. “I’m sorry to hear that, sir.”

“You two have nothing to apologize for,” the large equine comforts. “But I appreciate that.”

“You’re welcome, sir,” Sombra said.

A powerful chuckle emanates from Olstrom’s chest.

“Now then… About those lessons, I promised you.”


Crystal Empire: Southern Checkpoint

“See you later, Check Mate!” A small group of guards called back to the green-coated crystal earth pony as they progressed onward to the southern training grounds.

“Take it easy out there!” Check Mate responded while waving them off. He then glances over to his right, where a clock is present, etched onto the crystalline watchtower closest to him, one of two on either side of the archway.

11: 47am

“Almost time for lunch!” He announced in excitement.

However, a sudden eruption of cheers filled with adoration and love presents itself from his rear, prompting the stallion to turn back to the line of ponies.

The ponies of the empire break apart and make way in an orderly fashion as a particular pale-vermillion crystal unicorn princess, accompanied by two guards and King Malik, approaches the checkpoint.

There was a certain way that their crystal princess moved that practically entranced those who looked upon her, and Check Mate was certainly feeling that right now. Her beauty was unlike any other mare he’d ever seen before…

“Amore’s grace take me…”

Any stallion who’d be lucky enough to ever share a bed with her would undoubtedly spark legions of envy.

Check Mate manages to regain his composure as the princess and those who accompany her draw closer and closer and-

Wait…

His eyes widened as he recognized the two guards accompanying Princess Amore and King Malik. They were two of the empire’s highest-ranking guards under General Atlas’s command.

The very same stallions who’d trained Check himself...

“Good morning, Check Mate~!” Amore greets with that sweet voice that Check and every stallion in the empire always admired and fantasized about. “How are you?”

“I’m f-fine, princess.”

“Wonderful!” The vermillion mare’s brilliant amber eyes venture off toward the nearby clock, the sounds of admiration still being shouted by the empire’s denizens nearby. “Oh! Goodness, it’s almost lunchtime for you, isn’t it?”

“Y-yes, p-princess. B-but I can be late for lunch if you wish!”

‘What the heck was that?!’ He cries out internally, realizing what he just said. ‘I must look like a complete foal right now!’

Amore suppresses a giggle with a hoof covering her muzzle. “That won’t be necessary, my sweet. Now, we’re heading out to the southern fields, so please enjoy your lunch, mmkay~?”

He shoots her a saluting gesture with reddened features. “Yes, Princess Amore!”

Satisfied with his response, the crystal princess flashes a warm smile before proceeding onward, trailed closely by King Malik, who winked at Check knowingly.

The two stallion guards, a crystal pegasus and unicorn, both pause in unison but keep their eyes facing forward.

“H-hello, Sir. Hanzal,” he greets while looking at the pegasus before shifting his attention to the unicorn, “and Sir. Fletcher.”

“Check Mate.” The stallions respond in perfect sync before continuing onward with a unified step to join their princess and the saddle arabian king.

And as Check observes their departure in silence—especially Amore’s—he can’t help but beat himself up for his embarrassing display, clicking his tongue and raising a forelimb for a facehoof.

“Amore damn it…”