• Published 2nd Jul 2022
  • 3,339 Views, 59 Comments

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee - stillwedding



Celestia had come to hate the fragrance of dark coffee. Because it had meant Twilight was up.

  • ...
5
 59
 3,339

Midterms

When Celestia woke up to rise the sun that morning she had smelt the aroma of coffee in the castle’s halls. It wasn’t unusual for her mornings to be accompanied by coffee; practically everyone drank its rich flavours. (Personally, though, Celestia was more of a tea pony.) What was odd though was that its presence was at this side of the castle this early in the morning. The sun wasn’t scheduled to be up for another hour at least.

Humming with a perk of interest and the extra time on her hooves, she decided to investigate. Trotting quietly through the halls she followed the scent trail. Giving the occasional wave to the night shift guards, Celestia came upon a room. A room she visited far too often she had to admit.

Opening the door she found a mess and the culprit. A young filly furiously scribbling down passages from multiple textbooks with vigorous speed. Though her horn-writing still remained incredibly neat, it started to taper off and became more akin to a cursive mess.

Huge textbooks float with her levitation around her, books on advanced transfiguration and magical constructs far too advanced for her age. She would occasionally pick one from her magic grasp and scribble various notes then pin them onto the wall. These notes were the base of her room’s decor, they covered all the walls and the floor beneath them.

Celestia leaned against the door frame and allowed herself to smile, “Twilight?” she asked, to no avail. A bead of sweat dripped from Twilight’s temple as she was still meticulously reading and flipping through the books at record speeds too into her studying mood to even notice someone addressing her. Far too involved in her studying to even see the ruler of Equestria herself was addressing her.

With a sigh Celestia started to approach her, not needing to muffle her steps as Twilight was still in a trance, she leaned over near her ear slot and spoke, “Twilight Sparkle?” This time Twilight looked straight up at the looming presence addressing her and was startled at the sight of Princess Celestia right next to her.

She suddenly stopped her magical hold on the textbooks and they came raining down. Anticipating the sound of a thud that hadn’t come, Twilight allowed herself to open her eyes. Luckily, Celestia had easily picked them up before they could give either of them a concussion much to Twilight’s relief. Injuring the Princess would’ve meant banishment. She winced at the possibility.

Rushing into a bow she huffed, “I am so so so sorry Princess-” Celestia giggled, cutting Twilight’s ramble. Twilight’s terror quickly morphed into confusion but she was feeling lighter knowing that her mentor hadn’t been angry at her. She let herself breathe.

“Please relax Twilight, I just came to check up on you. Why are you awake so early? The sun isn’t even up,” Celestia started until she noticed the dark rings under her student’s eyes, she frowned.

Noticing the Princess’ disdain Twilight cringed quickly saying, “Oh no, I must’ve lost track of time!” Rushing to the clock beside her bed, her face instantly morphed into an exaggerated horror, “How is it five in the morning!?” She exclaimed. Though she would admit that she would have probably stayed up until at least noon if the Princess hadn't caught her as Twilight was more concerned over how fast time was moving. At this rate, she wouldn't have enough time to make her flash cards.

Celestia looked at her student with concern, “Twilight, please tell me you got some sleep?” Twilight didn’t answer instead of looking below on the floor a bit ashamed. “Well, then it can’t be helped,” with her magic, Celestia lifted Twilight to her bed; her efforts to stop being tucked in did nothing in her tired state.

“Wait-wait- put me down I still have a lot-” a yawn escaped from her mouth, “-I still have to cover!” She protests, wiggling her hooves as if to swim out of the Princess’ magical grasp. It was pointless.

Celestia let out another giggle, she was having too much fun with this, “As much as I love your studious nature you still need rest to perform your best,” she said in the familiar tone she uses at the end of her speeches. This was a final decision, one not to be objected to, especially coming from the monarch herself.

Still with her mouth agape and what little left of her conscious she tried, “But-”

Celestia flared her wings out to cut her student off, “No buts, it’s a royal decree!” She declared, smiling.

“My midterm-!” Twilight cried in horror.

Celestia brought up a hoof before her student could make another rebuttal, “-is in three days, your resources won’t be going anywhere Twilight,” she said and laughed.

Twilight shifted in her bed slowly losing the will to stay awake even after downing that cup of coffee. Still, the fear at the back of her head remained, “But what if I fail, Princess?” she said quietly, silently hoping that the Princess didn’t hear her.

Times like these, when she says something naive, reminded Celestia that Twilight is still young. Although being immensely intelligent and talented in her magical capabilities she’s still young nonetheless.

Part of Celestia knew that Twilight’s perfectionism could have prompted her to go through more extensive measures when revising. Another part of her also knew it could be attributed to the fact she did have a lot of pressure riding on her to do well from being at the top of her class, top of her grade, top of the school...

Perhaps part of it can be because she’s Celestia’s own personal protégé. The impending pressure to not disappoint the ruler of Equestria herself meant sacrificing basic needs such as sleep. Celestia scolded herself for this oversight.

“Failure isn’t something you should hide from, Twilight,” Celestia started, “It is something you should embrace.”

Twilight shook her head, "Why? I don't think anyone should freely welcome it, or even expect it."

"Well, there is a lot of good that comes from failure. You can recognize what you did wrong and become better. I don't think that is something you should shun away from," Celestia said matter-of-factly.

She nodded. “I just want to do well,” she muttered into the covers.

Celestia gave Twilight a reassuring smile, “And I have no worry that you won’t. But know that even if you don’t do well it doesn’t change who you are. I still am incredibly proud of you,”

Twilight perked up, “Really?”

“Of course, after all, you’re still my favourite student,” Celestia said, giving Twilight a small nuzzle, one she returned.

Though she still has a long way to go when it comes to self-regulating her emotions Celestia knows they’ll have a lot of time to work through it together. Selfishly, Celestia wishes she could actually teach Twilight everything she knows, but some things are meant to be learned on your own. One day Twilight will embark on that journey alone, but for now, Celestia can enjoy this. Enjoy simply being a mother someone Twilight can constantly rely on.

Twilight let out a yawn, the hours of studying finally catching up to the small filly, “I'm going to have to refrain you from pulling all-nighters again. It's not good for your health."

"But... my midterm..." She mumbled trailing off.

Celestia smoothed out Twilight's hair, "Statistically speaking, a well-rested brain does exponentially better on tests."

"I know," she whispered.

"Then rest well, okay?"

“M’kay…” Twilight said with a heavy sigh, allowing herself to close her eyes, finally stepping down and allowing the Princess to win the argument. Princess Celestia always wins arguments.

Celestia brought the covers closer to the tired filly before organizing the room, putting textbooks on the shelves, and discarding the crumbled notes on the ground.

She picked up the mugs of empty coffee cups to bring back to the kitchen and downed the unfinished cup. Celestia's face immediately scrunched up. How anyone could consume such a bleak drink was beyond her understanding. Especially a drink with absolutely nothing in it because it seems like Twilight didn't even bother to put any kind of sugar or milk. It was just black coffee.

Celestia made a mental note to add more tea appointments with her students. Getting them hooked on tea would be much better than the void of bitter black coffee. Perhaps easier said than done. A group tea party for everyone would be nice, but for now, trying to get Twilight out of pulling constant all-nighters would have to be at the top of her priority lists. And then getting her out of liking coffee. And then getting her into tea.

She glanced back at Twilight and was satisfied to see that she seemed sound asleep before turning off the light to let Twilight get some much-needed rest.

Before heading out to properly start the day she turned back with a smile, “Goodnight, Twilight.”

“Goodnight… Princess…” She heard her reply back softly.

Celestia closed the door. After rising the sun she would have to tell the kitchen staff off for letting studious young fillies get their hooves on coffee.