• Published 25th Jun 2022
  • 423 Views, 13 Comments

Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons Modded - starwars90001



A modded version of Project Horizons, shorter, more explosive, more action pack retelling

  • ...
6
 13
 423

Past phantoms and dreams

Why do these phantoms always wind up haunting me?_ Czarface & MF DOOM - Phantoms

“Girl would you stand still.”

“I’m trying.”

“You keep fidgeting, Blackjack.”

Rampage and Sekashi fought to get the unicorn mare’s yellow wedding dress on, the Zony and Zebra having to wrestle her while getting all her hooves through the holes. “Jack I think it's time we buy you a new dress, this one is tighter than a virgin in heat.” Rampage admonish.

“Okay first of all, ew. Second of all, I ain’t giving up this dress after everything me and Open Skies went through to get it.” Blackjack protested while struggling to stand still. The dress itself wasn't anything special, a common wedding gown you could find in the ruins of any pre-war clothing store. It was the story behind it that attracted it to the unicorn mare.

She, her husband, and her wife had found the dress in an abandoned mall after they fought some raiders. They were injured, tired, and low on supplies, it would have been the end of them had Open Skies not unlocked all the departments of the mall by hacking a terminal. They must have spent half a week in there recovering, in all that time the three ponies who had been friends more out of necessity slowly bonded with each other, Glory patching them up, Blackjack gathering food, and Open Skies cooking.

When Blackjack found the dress she almost considered selling it once they got to the nearest settlement, but Glory and P-21 argued against it. They begged her to wear it and well, they loved how she looked, said it made her look royal. She pushed off their praise but she saw how they looked at her like she was beautiful.

At first, it was nothing but as their journey continued those looks blossomed from wanting, to caring, to love. They came to love her and she did them. When she completed the quest the Overmare had sent her into the Wasteland for, she had a choice, return to her Stable or stay with the ponies she loved. She chose the latter and not long after they were married.

“Almost got it. There!” the last hoof sled into place, Rampage then tighten the strap on her. “Now you look nice and fancy Jack.” Rampage petted her on the back before stepping back to examine her and Sekashi's work. The unicorn mare was a bit too big for the dress, her frame increasing over her time in the Wastes, but the yellow brought out the white in her coat so much Rampage couldn’t say she wasn’t beautiful. “Jack, you looking fine!”

“I must say, you look like quite the catch, young one.” Sekashi chimed in. “Perfect for your special day, I just hope we didn’t take too long.” Looking at the clock it was already noon. The whole town had been preparing for the event since morning with every pony ready for the biggest ceremony in Chapel in decades, Blackjack renewing her vows.

“Celestia Damn it! Glory’s gonna kill me.” With haste Blackjack started galloping to the door, holding up her dress with magic.

“Jack wait!” The Unicorn turned to face her Zony friend as she was halfway through the door. “Luu Luu can’t make it to the celebration but she wants to see you at Charity’s shop before she leaves, I'm going with her.”

Blackjack turned sour at that, the Alicorn seemed to be leaving every other day. Her last trip was across half of the Equestrian Wasteland, apparently, she was searching for somepony. Who Blackjack never asked. “Thanks, Rampage, I'll leave some cake for you and her.”

As the Unicorn hurried out of the room Rampage and Sekashi shared glances, the Zony’s a more proud one while her long-time friend a more hopeful one.

“You think those foals will be alright Sek?”

“When I first met them they were all lost, hurt, and confused by the world around them. But they found themselves and each other, their love reminds me of a silly story!"

“Girl you and your stories, what does everything need a story? You got one for when they do a threesome?.” They both laughed, the years of taunts never getting old. But Rampage began to reflect on her own life, what she used to have. “Do you think I should be like her, finally just settle down again, patch things up with Priest?”

“Time heals all wounds, but yours and his are greater.” Sekashi didn’t mince words, she always was truthful to her friend. “You both have lost the most important thing in your lives. Something I would fear losing.” The Zebra gave her friends a warm smile. “I think that it is time you give up being the Rampage Arloste, and come back to Chapel to be with us.”

The Zony let out a big sigh before returning the smile. “I’ll think about it. but right now Luu Luu needs me so I need to get ready, come on let's get you dressed before I leave.”

------------------

Chapel was a small town in the shadow of the city of Hoofington, barely made of a dozen standing pre-war buildings and dozens of homemade shacks, the town was the home base of the Crusaders Hoofington’s small army of lost foals and fillies. Normally everypony would be tending to the large fields of corn the town produced but today the town was alive with movement as fillies and colts went about preparing for the big celebration.

Blackjack dodged and weaved through the herds of foals, carefully keeping her dress from touching the dirt road that ran through the heart of town. She narrowly avoided colliding with a zombie-like pegasus mare as she led similar zombie foals through the street.

“Sorry Haprica, in a rush.”

“Oh don’t mind it mistress Blackjack, see you at your wedding.” The ghoul mare waved at their local hero as she galloped up to the only shop in town, Charity's, Where We Ain't!. The post office turned general store had become the home to the Hoof's prime money hoarder.

“Two crates of Radwater are worth more than 100. 150 take it or leave it.” The yellow filly argued to a very unimpressed Alicorn over two crates stacked on the counter. “Do you know what my ponies go through to get these?”

Lacunae raised an eyebrow at that. “Oh, you mean like when I saw one of your fillies fill these used bottles with water from the river?”

“The cost is from the bottles Lacunae! Do you know how much it takes to gather several dozen empty bottles!” Charity tried her best argument but the Alicorn wasn’t having any of it.

“Oh really? Last I checked you had an entire stock of saved bottles for reuse.”

“Not a Cap shorter than 150 Lacunae!”

The Alicorn sighed. “Fine, have your foals- I mean ‘ponies’ pack it into my wagon.” The filly barely hid her hop for victory. Lacunae knew arguing with Charity was like fighting the Sun, better to accept the price and make due.

As she turned her eyes widened at the sight of a very tired and sweaty Blackjack. “Oh Goldfish you made it, I was just about to search for you before I left.” Lacunae looked her over with a careful glaze over her fine dress. “A bit tight, but it really does bring out your colors more.”

“Thanks, Lacunae. Hey, can I have some water?” Galloping across town in a dress and high horseshoes wore out a pony, so Blackjack took a seat on the shop’s bench.

“That will be 20 Caps.” Charity replied smugly.

Lacunae rolled her eyes before her horn lit up and zap the tired Unicorn. “Feel better now?”

“I feel like I could do a mile-long stampede! Thanks, Lacunae!” Lacunae could hear Charity silently huffing while Blackjack hopped off the bench and did a jig. “You gotta teach me that sometimes, hell teach me half the spells you know rather than this Elements stuff.”

“That Elements stuff is the key to progressing beyond the skills you already know. But hopefully, we will continue your training after I return. In the meantime, I left you and your family quite the big gift, I hope you enjoy it.”

The excitement of a gift from Lacunae of all ponies was sidetracked by one burning question that Blackjack had for a while. “Not to be rude but I was hoping you would stay here today. Maybe move the trip up another day.” Blackjack saw the solemn expression the Alicorn had from the topic, clearly, this journey was super personal to her. “Fine, but can you at least explain to me why you keep leaving?”

Ever the mare of secrets and mystery, Lacunae considered whether she should lie to the Unicorn mare but decided she should at least be given some truth. “An old friend and colleague of mine has popped up again. She’s been spotted throughout the Wasteland, however, she moves from town to town which makes following her very hard. Me and her used to share common views but broke up after a disagreement ”

Clearly, there was more to this old friend than Lacunae was letting on but the Alicorn’s apprehension at the topic made Blackjack accept that was enough. “When will you be back?”

“Probably within a few days this time, She’s apparently traveling Manehatten which means I have to get there fast if I want to catch up with her.” Lacunae gave her student one last piece of advice before departing on her journey. “Enjoy your new life Blackjack. You built this life on blood and suffering and made a heaven here. The Elements watch for those with such conviction.”

To Blackjack, the Alicorn’s advice was always half complemented half esoteric word soup, but the Unicorn mare always accepted her teacher’s words even if she didn’t understand them. She almost wanted to ask the Alicorn to stay but thought against it as Lacunae disappeared through the doorway.

“Don’t you got somewhere to be?” Blackjack snapped back to the filly behind the counter who was going over a list of items on a clipboard.

Blackjack wondered if the filly ever took days off, even when the whole town was in the middle of preparing for the vow renewal, Charity was deep in sales records and stock checking. “Are you coming to Chapel Charity?” For as much the Cap hoarder she was Blackjack still wanted her to have some enjoyment in her life.

“No, I have a big buyer coming over later today. Apparently, they want some of my special supplies so I can’t leave here.” When Charity saw Blackjack’s worried expression she rolled her eyes. “I don’t do big events anyway, just tell Scotch I said hi. Oh, I did leave you a gift. Think of it as customer loyalty rewards.”

“Oh, missing Scotch huh? You two are getting close.” The way the filly turned a little red was all the gift Blackjack needed from her.

“You want to refund that gift cause I can.” Charity tried in vain to hide her face behind her clipboard, but Blackjack knew she struck a core.

“See you later Charity! I’m sure Scotch will be here soon for the after-party special.” Blackjack galloped out of the storefront as she heard the filly scream.

-----------------------

The main church for which the town was named was also the most well-maintained building in town. It was freshly painted, its stained glasses depicting two princesses moving the Sun & Moon restored, Chapel stood as a reminder of the old world in a sea of dead ruins. Now with added wedding decorations.

The mare of the hour stood in front of Chapel’s double doors, her nerves shot as she prepared herself for what awaited her. The sounds of choir singing through the air calmed her a bit, taking a deep breath Blackjack pushed the doors open to the sight of a packed room.

Ponies from every corner of the Hoof talked, hummed with the choir, or place their gifts for the couple. Some ponies were well dressed and kept with outfits that seemed impossible to keep clean in the Wasteland, others wore armor that look worn but was still clean for the celebration.

Blackjack took it all in, trotting through the main aisle she spotted the faces of ponies she’d helped all throughout the Hoof. All greeted her with respect and admiration, she was an icon to them, their heroine, the Security Mare. When ponies first started calling her that she hated it but seeing how they looked up to her, even modeling themselves after her, she accepted her title with silent pride.

She was the Security Mare, hero of the Hoof, that was her new life now.

A familiar voice snapped Blackjack’s attention to the center stage. “Oh no no no! The dress is too big! I look like a filly playing pretend in this.” The overly worried confused mumbles had become a welcoming voice to Blackjack. When the Unicorn trotted onto the stage she saw one of the bright spots of her life.

Glory fussed and tugged on knots in a vain attempt to try to get her dress to fit while Scotch Tape just rolled her eyes. She was so preoccupied with her battle she barely noticed Blackjack behind her, only when the Unicorn tapped her shoulder did the pegasus mare flutter into the air in surprise. “Blackjack doesn’t scare me like that, you almost made me tear my dress!” Blackjack only laughed as her wife turned a dizzying shade of red. “Oh no, you're already here that means we’re close to starting. I’m not ready!”

“Sheesh, your worst than mom Glory.” Scotch Tape mocked. “If I hadn’t forced her to pick a dress we’d still be home while the party started.” The green filly shrugged before galloping off stage in a hurry. “If any pony needs me I’ll be helping myself to the buffet before the rest of the Crusaders get it.” Blackjack waved goodbye to the filly before turning her attention back to her wife.

“Calm down Glory you look fine” The Unicorn comforted her wife in the only way she knew how, self-deprecation. “At least yours doesn’t make you look like a stuffed doll, mine is so tight it probably makes my butt look bigger.”

Helping the pegasus mare chill down was a full time job Blackjack accepted without payment. She was always there for her wife, and Glory for her. She just hoped these moments would be the rest of her life.

“Say Where’s the best stallion?” Blackjack said looking around Chapel for signs of her special buck.

“Oh P-21’s.” Glory shrunk back when she saw the disproving look that name got. “Sorry, Open Skies is in the back getting help from Priest with his outfit.” Blackjack had wondered if any of them were cut out for dressing fancy. Sure Blackjack had worn some to parties in the Stable before, even then she barely like them, Glory wasn’t much of a socialite in her former life, and Open Skies didn’t have experience with it at all or clothes in general. Maybe the classy life wasn’t for them.

“Seems you have all arrived.” Blackjack’s ears perked up as she turned to face two finely dressed bucks trotting onto the stage. One was a pitch black coated buck their local mental and spiritual leader, Priest, the Other was a small blue feminine buck who looked quite out of place with his attire. “Knowing you all I half expected to have moved the renew back two hours.” Priest took note of how they all looked and reconsidered his last statement. “Perhaps I should move it back up.”

“No!” Was the utmost cry from all three of them.

“Fine, fine. You all dealt with enough preparation. I will ring the church bell to tell everypony we’re ready, you all just wait here.” Before he left he stopped to look at Blackjack, rumination was written on his face. “Blackjack will Arloste come?”

It felt like something was tugging at him, he kept his stoic gaze but you could tell he longed for something. “She’s going with Lacunae on her trip, but she does want to talk to you when she gets back.” Blackjack’s answer seemed to raise the stallion’s spirits a lot, she hadn’t seen him smile like that since they got married in Chapel.

“Good.” He muttered quietly. “I will speak with her then. I, I hope she’s doing well. Let’s hope this day is a good one for everypony.” As he trotted off Blackjack heard him whisper. “And maybe it's time for me min hearts with her. By Celestia’s will”

All three watched the wise stallion disappear up a stairwell in an adjacent room. They all felt for the buck, they saw how he and the Striped mare kept their distance but still watched wantingly from afar with solemn eyes. “Think they will get back together?” Glory broke the silence.

“They will. I feel it.” In an uncharacteristic moment, Open Skies was the optimistic one. “I think our marriage is rubbing off on him. He’s been asking for Rampage a lot, hell, he wants to go on vacation with her to Los Pegasus.”

“Really? He almost never leaves Chapel, and that’s on the other end of the Wasteland!” The thought of Priest of all ponies in Los Pegasus seemed impossible to Blackjack, gambling wasn’t his thing nor was drugs, he must really just wanted to be with Rampage that much, it didn’t matter where they went as long as she enjoyed it. The thought gave Blacjack an idea of her own. “Say why don’t we go with them for our second honeymoon?” Glory and Open just gave her a look.

“Nope, not after the Tenpony accident.” Glory shook her head.

“What, do you want to go there and start a gunfight with every gang in town?” Open Skies rolled his eyes.

“Hey, that guy deserved a buck to the face he was a Celestia damn racist and killer.” Blackjack protested, they had never let her live it down. Now, whenever they travel Open and Glory had to strap her to one of them to keep her in line. “Hey, the guy shot a ghoul remember?”

Open just exhaled. “You're a stupid idiot Blackjack and you destroy everything you touch.” But then his annoyance gave way to sincerity as he approached her and nestled her red and black striped mane. “But you're an idiot with a good heart.”

Glory followed suit hugging her wife. “You do the right thing even when it's stupid and nonsensical.”

When Blackjack left her Stable she was a lost mare on a quest, alone in a world that wanted to kill her. Now she had a home, a place belonging to ponies that were her true family; a teacher, a sister, a filly, a whole town that needed her, a wife and husband that was her world. For all her life she was nothing more than just another security mare in the Stable, but out in the wastes, she found a new purpose.

The Unicorn’s eyes turned misty as she embraced them both. “I love you both, thank you for staying with this crazy mare.” Happily, she listened to the rings of the church bell.

When the time for vow renewal came, the three stood beside each other listening to Priest read their words. The entire town was here, Sekashi and her daughter, Charity and Scotch, every pony dear to them were here.

“Do you, Blackjack, take Morning Glory and Open Skies to be your loving wife and husband? To be their protector through happy days and rainy ones, through happiness and pain, until death do you all apart?”

There was no other answer she would say, it would take the entire Wasteland to separate her from them. “I do.”

“And do you Open Skies.” The vows were cut when the doors of Chapel slammed open. All eyes turned to see an injured foal limped into the aisle, scars all over their body.

Several adults including the center couple rushed to the child’s aid. All the foal kept repeating as they bandaged him up was. “Raiders, they took Daisy and Silver, they're holding them at the Luna damn.”

That was all the motivation the heroine of the Hoof needed, the ceremony could wait, the Crusaders needed Security right now. Blackjack, Glory, and Open were geared up within half an hour, they were miles away in two.

When they arrived at the damn they expected a trap, a bunch of raiders using the Crusaders to draw out Blackjack and her friends to kill them all in one fell swoop. What they got was more surprising.

“It's so good to see you again Blackjack.” Standing atop, the wind whistling through her violet mane, the spitting image of an aged Glory, looking at them through closed eyes. “I was hoping we’d meet on better terms.” Dawn purred.

“Mom, why are you here? Did you?” Glory didn’t want to comprehend the idea her own mother was working with Raiders yet the proof stood in front of them.

“The Crusaders, where are they?” Blackjack looked around for signs of an ambush but it seemed like they were the only ponies here. “If you hurt those foals, Dawn.” The clicks of the two rifles that floated beside the Unicorn showed she wasn’t in a talking mood.

“Calm down, I had those foals released the minute you left Chapel. It was just to get you here.” That didn’t make any pony less eager to start shooting. “I just want to talk that’s all, you’ve been..dodging me lately.”

“I’ll give the same spill as before, I gave up EC-1101 and I ain’t telling anypony where it is. So why don’t you just go about your merry day and let me get back to my vow renewal.”

A frown crept across Dawn’s sincere face, a bit of disappointment at the Unicorn. “I did not mean to interrupt your special day but this is more important than anypony.” From her view atop the damn, Dawn looked at the sorry state of the Hoof. The cool winds blew across the brownish land of the Equestrian wasteland, the dead trees and grass blowing along with it. Pools of a rainbow-colored liquid filled the area with skeletons of various creatures flooding along the poisonous water. The ruins of many buildings scatter the landscape, the scars of a long-dead civilization. “For so long ponies have suffered in this hellscape we call the Wasteland. All of them trying to carve out a slice of peace like you have Blackjack.”

As Dawn spoke her words seemed sorrowful, as if the search for the Wasteland’s ills had waned on her. “I want to bring peace to this Wasteland Blackjack and you have the keys to do it. With EC-1101 I can give the ponies of the Wasteland something they lost, Harmony.” She was pleading, hoping the Security Mare of all ponies would understand wanting to do the greater good.

Blackjack didn’t return that sentiment. “Want to know why I ain’t helping you? Why I don’t tell anypony where EC-1101 is? The reason is I’ve seen the lengths ponies are willing to do to get those keys, I’ve seen the horrors unleash when they unlock those doors! Sanguine and his mutants, Dr. Zodiac and her cybernetic soldiers. How are you going to be any different? You're already doing the same tactics they did to get me to give the keys up, so why should I help you?”

“We’re sorry mom, if Blackjack doesn’t want anypony using that city then I think it's for the best.” Glory stood by her wife, the Magical energy weapons strap to a battle saddle around her flaring to life.

“I’ve seen enough ponies hurt by that damn code, that thing ruined my and Blackjack’s life I’m not seeing it used again.” Open Skies growled while clicking the safety off his grenade launcher. “Now make like a bird and fuck off!”

Dawn lowered her head in disappointment and began muttering something in a language none of them seem to understand. When she finally looked back at them her eyes glowed a violent green that struck them to their core. “I tried being kind, honest, and loyal but if you will not give me the keys to salvation, THEN PREPARE TO DIE!”

It happened so fast, that Blackjack could barely understand it. They tried to defend themselves but she was a monster, she moved so fast, struck with force like nothing they had ever seen before. In minutes the heroine of the Hoof lay beaten before the angel.

Blackjack for the second time in her life felt completely powerless. She was broken, her legs mangled, her right eye lost, and her horn destroyed, its pieces laying in front of her. Her vision was blurred but she saw a horrifying sight that burned into her mind.

Open Skies head lay a few feet away, his face forever frozen in shock as his thousand yard stare looked back at her. She couldn’t look away, she couldn’t move, everything hurt so much. She could hear the crying of the mare she loved, Glory begging and pleading for her mom to not take her from her wife’s side.

“I need to help her, I need to help her!” Glory struggled against the metallic talons that split forth from her mother’s hooves. “Mom, please! Please!”

“You helped her already, I’m sparing her to not hurt you, sweetie. She’s not dying, I made sure of that, Lacunae will come to help her eventually. Come now sweetie, let me take you away from this awful place.”

Glory begged cried, and fought as she was pulled away. As Blackjack’s remaining eye fell her last sight was Glory disappearing into the sky as her mother took flight. When Blackjack opened her eye again the blurring image of an Alicorn descended before her.

Their words were faint but they brought their own painful news. “Give her the potions before moving her Arloste, we need to get her to your house..or what remains of it. I’m sorry Blackjack Chapel is gone.” At that Blackjack fell into a deep sleep.

Blackjack’s cybernetic eyes shot open to the present, to the soft gaze of a wise Alicorn. “Good to see your wake now. It’s time for training.”