• Published 19th Sep 2012
  • 1,556 Views, 103 Comments

Shield and Shadow Part 2: Renaissance - LucidReverie



The return of an old threat pushes Luna to travel Equestria in search of answers to the past. And of the future.

  • ...
3
 103
 1,556

Chapter 13: New accommodations

>>> Learning is… interesting. I’m thinking of new ways to play my game. Make it more exciting, more fulfilling. But I think my favorite is still hope. “Hope?” you ask. Yes, hope. For there can be no true fear, no true despair, without hope. Provide hope and watch the happiness grow, then tear it all down. It makes for the most decadent subsistence. <<<

Gloom.

Spring Mist sat at a small wooden desk. A candle burned slowly next to him, illuminating just enough to be able to read the scroll in front of him. It had been several weeks since his incarceration in Canterlot. And several weeks since he had seen another pony he cared about. The only contact he had with the outside world, with other ponies, were the letters he received fairly regularly.

Late at night, Mist sat and read the letter, this one much like any of the others he received:

Dear Spring Mist,

We continue to make headway with regards to the Nightmare. Extensive research has revealed many interesting accounts of the influence of the Nightmare on numerous communities throughout the history of Equestria. However, there exists no information on just how the Nightmare can be – for lack of a better term – purged from a pony. This is, quite simply, because there are no documented reports of any such event occurring at any point in known history.

But on a personal note… I’m sorry, Mist. I truly am. And the nature of your… imprisonment… hasn’t helped foster any trust or faith in me, I’m sure. But you, perhaps more than most ponies, can appreciate the steps necessary for the protection of the Kingdom. It may not be an excuse, but it is a reason. And I hope it is a reason you can forgive.

I hope to make significant progress on the path to help you in the coming weeks. I know it is unfair to keep you locked away, and as Luna will undoubtedly tell you in her letter to you, I hear to no end the ‘unfairness’ of the situation, but I sincerely wish to find a way for you be free. Perhaps make arrangements for you to be able to wander the castle freely, as one of our own. Luna will tell you all she has discussed with me.

Tentatively,

Princess Celestia

Mist rose from his desk, allowing the scroll to roll itself back into its tubular shape. He walked to the only window in the room – a small opening in the wall, really – and looked out onto the small portion of the outside he could see. The castle, palace, and adjoining towers were all visible. They teased and taunted, beckoning. Showing Mist just how close and so out of reach he was to having everything he wanted. Somewhere in those halls walked the blue night Princess, whom he had lost for one thousand years, and with whom he had been briefly reunited before putting duty ahead of desire.

Mist looked forlornly at the castle, the place Luna had wanted to have as his home, their home in their life together. With a sigh, he turned back to his desk. Another scroll, unopened, sat next to the one from Celestia. And he knew that list one, bearing the seal of Luna, would either have the best or the worst news. But either way, any correspondence from his beloved made him happy. Actually, anything other than being left to his thoughts was a better alternative.

He sat back down at the table, the candle still flickering gently, casting its minimal light on the table top. Mist looked at the candle, grunting slightly at just how it struggled to shed its light. With a brief flash of his horn, the shadows surrounding the candle were pushed back, allowing the candle to glow at full force, no longer fighting the shadows. He unrolled Luna’s scroll.

My dearest Mist,

Progress has been unfortunately slow. I’ve run the poor scholars ragged looking for a solution. Many of them haven’t been home in days. I fear that a solution may not exist.

However, due to the last evaluations, it’s seems that you are of little actual danger. In fact, the magic evaluations have found no active part of the Nightmare within you. As such, I’m making arrangements to have you moved the castle. My sister supports this notion, but unfortunately, we have to allay the fears of the court before we have total support to have you here. I hate to ask, but please be patient, and I will have you out and with me soon.

I’m so sorry, my love. I wished none of this on you. And I’m sorry I can’t visit. Between the court addresses and the research, I cannot justify making a trip to the dungeon, much as I want to. I beg your forgiveness, but we will be together again soon.

Just hold on, my love.

Yours, forever,

Luna

Mist looked at the scroll. Rolling it back up, he placed it aside and stood once again. The shadows once again crawled around the candle, dimming the light in the room even further. With nothing else to do, he walked paces around his room. Despite his better judgment, he allowed his mind to wander.

Burning. Fire. An orange glow. The dark sky highlighted by the embers of a burning town. Screams. Crying. Shouting. Pleas for help.

Mist stopped, shaking his head. Nightmares. They still plagued him every night. And the images remained seared into his memory. Mist groaned. Frustration was slowly seeping its way into the room. Mist could feel it tugging at him.

His pacing was interrupted by a knock at the door. Mist cocked his head, wondering just why somepony would knock. It wasn’t like he could open the door at his leisure. Upon hearing another knock, Mist approached the door.

Feeling slightly confused and somewhat foolish, Mist responded. “Come in?” Asking more than telling.

A rattling sound came from the lock on the door – somepony turning a key. As per the normal protocol, Mist backed away from the door, allowing plenty of room for the entrant. Mist watched as a pony he didn’t recognize entered the room.

Mist looked unamused as the pony toted a stack of papers, a clipboard, and a small case behind her. She was a pale pink color, with a white mane. She wore a strangely complementary blue suit. Any color, complementary or not, was lost once she fully entered the dark room. Once inside, she became just as dull as her surroundings.

“Oh, no,” she tutted, looking around, “This will just not do.”

Her horn glowed, and a small orb of light shot out towards the ceiling. The orb hit the top of the room, fixating itself. It began to pulse with light, brightening the room as if it were daytime. Mist flinched, squinting to see better in the brightness. The mare smiled at her work.

“Ah, much better!” she said triumphantly, “Don’t you think?”

Mist did not respond. I slowly opened his eyes wider, looking at the mare.

“Not talking?” she asked, “It might make things difficult.”

“You’re here for an evaluation. And judging by that stack of papers you have, you’re here to take a mental evaluation. But you’re new. Not Blue Bell or Royal Prism. Don’t know why they sent you instead. I’m assuming you’re high-up with the other scholars. Not that it matters, really. Not to be rude, of course. But… I doubt you’ll find anything different.”

“You certainly are cynical, aren’t you? That’s not what your profile says. It says you’re typically warm. Happy even. You are duty driven, and being here is something you view as a duty. So… why so dark?”

“Oh, don’t confuse me for ‘dark’. I’m really just curious. But I am a little peeved that my lodgings are so… well, I really shouldn’t complain. I’m treated far better than any other criminal or threat. So never mind.” Mist shrugged, resigned.

“No, what would you like?” the mare asked curiously.

“Really? Are we going to do this?” Mist asked. The mare did not respond, setting down her belongings. Mist sighed. “Alright. Look, what I’d really want, barring release – both from the Nightmare and this prison – is a nicer view. I miss the night sky. Actually, I’m pretty upset that Luna didn’t think about that. Given she knows my love of the stars. But again, I can’t really complain. Given the circumstances.”

“Interesting. You seem quite attached to Princess Luna. Do you two have a history?” The mare had begun writing notes on a piece of paper.

“Ha!” Mist exclaimed, “They didn’t tell you?”

“Um… tell me what?” the mare asked, seemingly earnest.

“Ah, yes. You’ll love this. She and I are… were… are… I have no idea actually. Anyway she and I are… intimate.”

“Uh… really?” the she asked uncertainly.

“Quite so. Wait, so… what did they tell you?”

“Mostly just about your personality. And your unique condition.”

“But nothing about my history?”

“No, nothing.”

“Ah, well. You’re missing out on a fairly interesting, albeit convoluted story. Not sure you want to hear it.”

“Perhaps I do. But not tonight. Tonight I just have time to ask some personality questions.”

“Of course.”

“So, how are you feeling?”

Mist smiled and shook his head. “Cute. Look, if you are wondering if I feel any irrational anger or fear, depression, hatred, a desire to kill or take over the world, then the answer is ‘no’. I feel fine. Occasionally irritated, but I think that is understandable. What bothers me are the nightmares.”

“Nightmares? Plural? I thought it was the Nightmare…”

“No, no. Not 'the Nightmare'. Nightmares. Bad dreams. That should be in your file.”

The mare blushed. “Oh, of course. But tell me about these nightmares.”

“They’re mostly the same. A set, if you will.”

“Tell me.”

“Okay…” Mist swallowed. “The most common one is a dream about a burning town. Ponies screaming, crying. A foal. With its mother. Shadows, like great tendrils, wrapping around the surrounding area. The mother is consumed, dragged into a dark alley. The foal cries. Everything then seems to calm down. Then it too is taken by the darkness.” Mist finishes, and looks to the mare.

She looked shocked. “That’s… depressing. And dark.”

“Thanks. I’d never have guessed. Especially when I see them while I’m awake.”

“Well, dreams are often thought to be a subconscious function of the mind. In your case it might be the Nightmare’s influence.”

Mist considered the idea. “You’re the first pony to think of that. Good for you.”

She smiled happily. “Thank you. And the other nightmares?”

“Less interesting. There’s one about flying around over a desolate landscape, similar to the Equestrian Badlands. Another about burning alive. Yet another about some pony killing himself. And the last one about being… cold, isolated, alone.”

“How are those less interesting?”

Mist shrugged. “They’re not as vivid. They don’t stick with me like the first one. Oh, and there’s one about a… well, I think. Drowning in it.”

“And these are recurring nightmares?”

“Yep. Every night.”

“If I might be somewhat unprofessional… how are you so… happy? So... sane?”

“Wait. Isn't that your job to find out?”

“I suppose it is. But… I don’t know if I’d be able to manage.”

“Thankfully, I have something very important: hope.” Really? That's what you went for? he thought silently to himself.

“We now you just sound like a character from a story.”

Mist chuckled. Yes, I do. But it'll help you, so just listen... “I know. But it is true. I’m happy to believe that I am serving Equestria and the Princesses, and that Luna will find a way for us to be together again. Even if she hasn’t come to see me in weeks.”

“You seem very dedicated to your beliefs. And to the Princesses.”

“Yep. That’s kinda what got me here. Dedication.”

“The long, sordid story?”

“I didn’t say sordid. Convoluted.”

“Ah, my mistake.”

“No matter. You want to know, and I haven’t told the story in a while. But what happened to just personality questions?”

“Yeah, I get curious. But I am very good at what I do, and I can learn a lot through talking to you.”

“So, bad at focus and rude.”

“Rude?”

“Name. I still have no idea who you are.”

“Oh! I’m so sorry. I’m… uh… Bloom. Radiant Bloom.”

Mist smiled, arching a brow. “Bloom. You don’t say.”

It’ll come, Mist. It’ll come.

Author's Note:
Well, I just had the best weekend I have ever had. Seriously.
I headed off to Equestria LA, a wonderful little con indeed. So many wonderful people, and of course the wonderful talent of the show (I said 'wonderful' three times...) By far however, the highlights were not the cast, nor the panels, nor the crowds, but the talent in this glorious community.
I had a fun chat with John Joseco, and got him to doodle (heh, doodle. Like he actually just doodles anything. All of his stuff is masterful) an image for the story (insert 'yay!' here). But I think more exciting than that, was I got a chance to meet and speak to Odyssey/EurobeatBrony, who happens to be the reason I began writing this story in the first place. So one could imagine how much I squealed when I talked to him (well, I squealed inside, and at too many octaves higher than my normal baritone). So, I'd say that it was a truly terrific con, and a truly great weekend.
Now, I hope you have enjoyed these chapters, and know that after this weekend I have kinda been reinvigorated, and now I have a great push to get through to this story's completion. So, here is my gift to you, and I hope everyone has a wonderful week ahead.

As always, feel free to drop a comment or a PM - I love getting direct feedback, you guys are great.

May the stars bless you with their beauty, and the moon light your way in the dark.