• Published 19th Sep 2012
  • 1,555 Views, 103 Comments

Shield and Shadow Part 2: Renaissance - LucidReverie



The return of an old threat pushes Luna to travel Equestria in search of answers to the past. And of the future.

  • ...
3
 103
 1,555

Chapter 9: Revelation

>>>It will come. I’ll allow you some peace. Some happiness. I’ll let you have your friends, your love. You can revisit your past, take back what you were. But when I grow tired, when I grow hungry, you will be mine again. And then we will have everything.<<<

Euphoria.

Spring Mist stood in the entrance to Ponyville library. Luna stood within, before him. Tears were streaming down her face as she looked at him.

“Mist, is that you?” she asked cautiously, moving slowly forward.

“As sure as the moon, my Princess” was his reply, accompanied by a bow.

“I told you never to bow.”

“You still deserve it. And the teasing is fun.”

Spike stood between the two, watching the scene unfold with confusion. Twilight Sparkle had arrived and stood behind Mist.

“Mist, one thousand years.”

“Is that how long it’s been?” he said, walking closer. “Well, I guess we have a lot of time to catch up on.”

He was standing close to Luna, so very close. She leaned forward. Slowly at first, then moved swiftly, a cracking sound following immediately. Mist reeled back, clutching his head.

“Ack! Did you just hit me.. with your head?”

Luna responded with a swiftly flying hoof, aimed at Mist’s face. It hit its target solidly, causing Mist’s head to swivel. Luna then walked right up to a justifiably fearful Mist, getting close again. This time was diferent. The two eventually met, their lips finding each other, locking in a long-overdue kiss.

The kiss lingered for minutes, and the two ponies became lost in their own world, with nothing but the two of them in existence.

Twilight moved around to Spike, covering his eyes. He shoved her hoof away, and continued to stare. “What is going on, Twi?” he asked.

“I have no idea, Spike,” said Twilight quietly.

Luna and Mist finally separated, breathing heavily.

“I never want to lose you again,” Luna whispered.

“Nor I you, my love,” Mist replied “But was violence really necessary?”

Twilight cleared her throat before Luna could reply, and the couple looked over to her. “Sorry to interrupt,” she said hesitantly, “but could I get a little context?”

Luna and Mist looked at each other and chuckled. “Of course, Twilight Sparkle. This stallion, I have loved for a thousand years. He is… my everything.”

“And she is mine,” Mist added.

“Okay… but… how? Mist, how do you supposedly remember everything. What happened to the pain. And come to think of it, what happened to your scars?”

Mist pulled off his cloak, revealing a pristine coat, no scarring, no gouging. He looked on in wonderment. “I… I have no idea. Amazing.”

“Scars?” Luna asked with concern.

“Yes… I’m afraid I rather looked like I had met the wrong part of a sawmill. Not pretty at all. But now… I have no idea. I was just at Caramel Tart’s grave, when I just… remembered everything…”

“That doesn’t make any sense, Mist. You don’t just spontaneously recover!” Twilight protested.

Luna cut in, “I think there will be plenty of time to investigate later. For now though, may I please have Spring Mist to myself?” I promise I will return him. Eventually.”

“We can go to my home. Twi?”

“Ugh! Fine. But I expect a serious and detailed explanation of all of this later.”

“Thank you, Twilight,” said Mist.

Luna’s horn glowed, and her form changed to that of a smaller blue pony. “This should get me through town, don’t you think?”

“Here, the cloak will hide your wings,” Mist offered.

“Wait. Actually, never mind. I’m tired of hiding. The ponies here know me, and they should see us together.” She reverted back to her normal appearance.

“Luna, are you sure?”

“Why not? The ponies are somewhat different than in our time, Mist.”

“Alright then. I do prefer you as you are, in any case. Why hide such beauty?”

Luna nudged him as he walked to the door. Seeing Spike in a mind state of disgust, he turned back. “Sorry about all this, Spike, I know how you feel about mushy stuff.”

“Nah, nothing’s surprising, living in this crazy town,” he replied nonchalantly, then he excitedly added, “And it gives me an idea!” He rushed off into the back of the library.

“Huh, alright then. Twilight, I’ll see you later, I suppose. That is, if Luna allows it.”

“Of course, Mist. Just, please explain this later.” Twilight nodded.

“And no letters to my sister, please. I’ll tell her in my own time,” Luna added, walking from the door.

Twilight shook her head as Mist followed. The door to the library closed behind them, leaving the very confused Twilight Sparkle to her own thoughts.

Mist and Luna walked side-by-side along the main road of Ponyville, drawing the eye of many passing ponies. Some looked on in shock, others just waved pleasantly. But neither pony noticed those around them. To Luna and Mist, they two were the only ponies in the world. Until Mist nearly collided with a petrified Fluttershy.

“Oh, my! I’m sorry!” Mist and Fluttershy said simultaneously. Mist backed away from her, giving her room.

“Are you alright?” he asked, “I should have been looking where I was going.”

“Oh, um, it’s alright. I should have been looking too,” she replied in a voice just above a whisper.

“I’m sure there was no real fault,” sounded a new voice. Mist looked at Rarity, who was standing aside from the group, looking lovely as ever. “And Princess Luna! What brings you to Ponyville?”

“Ah, Rarity. Rather a date with destiny, I’d say,” she said, looking and smiling at Mist.

“Indeed?” inquired Rarity, “And this fine stallion you are wi- why, Spring Mist? Is that you?”

“Yes…” Mist replied slowly.

“I do say you – how do I put this? – well you look quite… different.”

“I agree,” muttered Fluttershy. Realizing she had spoken, she added, “Sorry.”

Luna looked at Mist curiously. Mist smiled, and nodded once. “I’ll explain later, Luna. The point is, yes, I seem to have recovered somewhat.”

“Well, quite the… improvement. But what are you doing with Princess Luna, dare I ask?”

“Well… we were just on the way to my home. We have a lot to catch up on.” Luna nuzzled Mist affectionately.

“Old friends, are you?”

“I’d say something more,” answered Luna.

Rarity was unsure of just how to respond. “Oh? When did you meet?”

“About a thousand years ago…” Mist said with a shrug.

“I’m sorry, what?”

“If you are really interested, you can meet us in the library tomorrow. We’ll be explaining everything to Twilight.”

“Ah, very well. Perhaps I shall attend…”

“I think it’s wonderful. I’m happy for you both,” said Fluttershy’s tiny voice before she shrank back.

“You can come too, of course, dear Fluttershy,” said Luna, “Besides I’ve wanted to visit you all again anyway. Casually, this time.”

“Of course, Princess,” both mares replied.

“But I beg forgiveness, for Mist and I have some matters to attend to.”

Fluttershy and Rarity bowed, saying their goodbyes. Luna and Mist resumed walking. As they did, Mist’s mind began speaking again.

See how her tune changed when you changed your look?

It doesn't matter. Nothing matters right now. I’m with Luna.

I suppose that’s true. But do you think your relationship will just go back to the way it was? Both of you have sins to atone for.

I will not let you sully this moment. Or any other. Go away, unless you are being helpful.

Mist quieted his mind. He had not missed that part of his mind at all. They finally reached Mist’s home, and entered. The first place they headed was Mist’s bedroom, where Luna curled up on the bed, beckoning Mist. He obliged, and two just embraced for a time.

Finally Luna broke the sweet silence. “I missed you so very much, Mist. And I’m so happy, I don’t even care how this is even possible.”

Mist had a guilty look on his face. “It’s quite a story, really. And one I’m not altogether proud of, either.”

“Whatever it is, we can deal with it later. Right now, I just want you and me.”

“As you wish, Princess.”

They lay together for some time more, but again that silence was broken.

“Just how long has it been, actually?” Mist asked.

“Since?”

“All of it.”

“Well, I was with the moon for roughly a thousand years. Freed some years ago. So you have been… wherever you have been for just over my banishment period. Why?”

“I was just wondering… it’s such an unfathomable period of time. Everything we knew just… vanished. Faded. What happened to the ponies we knew? What happened to my friends? Surely there are descendants somewhere?”

“I’m sure. It would just be a matter of searching the Royal Archives for the family records. We could do that if you wish.”

“It would be nice to know…” A thought struck Mist. “Oh! They left me some things. I have to remember to get those.”

“Oh yes? Where?”

“In the ruins. I found them in the old astronomy tower. You know, I’m surprised that I’m not more upset. I cried for Caramel Tart… but I’m not especially heartbroken about losing my past life. Am I a terrible pony for that?”

“No. But do remember that the memories are still fresh. With time they may sour, and the grief may hit you then.”

“Thanks. That’s really encouraging.”

“Of course. That’s why I’m here!” Luna nudged Mist playfully.

Mist’s gaze grew serious as he looked into her eyes. “You are here, aren't you?”

“Of course. And so are you. Fate certainly is smiling on us, isn't it?”

“I suppose it is, for whatever reason.”

They drifted into and out of blissful sleep for several hours, waking occasionally to reaffirm that what was happening was real. But the simple happiness would soon fade in the wake of Luna’s remembrance.

“Mist?”

“Yes, dearest?”

“In all seriousness, I… I have some concerns…”

“What about?”

“The Nightmare.”

Mist shuddered, almost violently, at the mention of the creature. “What about?”

“Celestia said that she felt the Nightmare inside you on the night you were banished. What can you say about that?”

“Ah…” Mist immediately felt the seizing grip of guilt. “I may have made a deal with it…”

What?

“Luna, it offered me a chance to see you again. How could I say no?”

“Mist, do you have any idea how dangerous that is?”

“I’d say that the price is worth having you again.” Mist stood from the bed, facing away from Luna. “When you left, I… I died that night, Luna. I had nothing left. Everything paled in comparison to being about to see you again. I just wanted you back.”

“But Mist, the Nightmare never asks a fair price. I didn’t even strike a deal and it took over me. And that was when I was on the way to recovery.”

“Recovery?”

“Mist, I knew of my depression. I hated it. But you changed it. You gave me a reason to be happy, if even for a short time. But Mist, you let the Nightmare in. I cannot begin to even fathom what its plan is. And it surely has a plan. Mist, this changes things.”

“Why? Why does it have to change anything? I can fight it. I have you here, and I can fight it. I can deprive it of what it wants.”

“Mist, even though the majority of the Nightmare was purged by the Elements of Harmony, it is still a powerful creature. It bested me, and to be honest, I’m a fair amount stronger than you. Being immortal does have advantages.”

“Well, it gave me power to withstand the Elements and it kept me alive for a thousand years. Maybe I can use that against it.”

“Mist, you can’t hope to toy with matters such as this.”

“Luna, this is my life. The consequences of my choices. I am prepared to accept anything that comes. And should the Nightmare claim me, I’ll not fear, for I know that you will do everything in your power to save me.”

“Mist, this is dangerous. I’ll trust you. But you will have to be watched. Carefully.”

“Fine. As long as you are by my side, I think I can handle anything.”

“Well, then you’ll be handling ‘anything’ for a long time indeed.”

She ushered him back to the bed. He shifted back into his position, comforted by her soft and warm coat. She worried, he knew. They would be a storm, but they would ride it together.

Enjoy it for now, Mist. Your time will come.

Author's Note:

Alright, I felt generous. In celebration of the air date for season 3, which I will be incorporating into the story as best I can, I give you this chapter. Chapter releases will continue as normal.
Need anything, leave a comment or send a message.

May the stars bless you with their beauty, and the moon light your way in the dark.