• Published 19th Sep 2012
  • 1,556 Views, 103 Comments

Shield and Shadow Part 2: Renaissance - LucidReverie



The return of an old threat pushes Luna to travel Equestria in search of answers to the past. And of the future.

  • ...
3
 103
 1,556

Chapter 2: The Fall

>>>Alone. You have always been alone. Even now, only I am here to keep you company. Your parents left you, your friends turned their backs on you when you needed them, and despite the love you gave her, Luna still fell. You are alone. You have nothing. You have no power. But with me, you will rival the greatest beings in Equestria.<<<

Flames.

“SPIKE!” Twilight Sparkle called out, “Spike! I need those books!”

“I’m coming, Twilight!” Spike complained, the little dragon carrying a pile of books many times his height.

“And did you make the arrangements for the Princess to stay in Ponyville?”

“Yes, Twi. It took a good long time too. It didn’t help when everypony offered to host her. You ponies are crazy,” Spike groused from behind the pile of large books.

“Everypony just wants to be helpful to the Princess. I’m sure she appreciates it.”

“She might, but I don’t like it when ponies stop me from doing my job.”

“Spike, they’re just trying to be nice. Ooh! That might make an interesting friendship report.”

The stack that Spike had been carrying finally collapsed, burying the dragon under a small pile. He clattered his way out and dusted himself off. “Now, Twi?”

“No,” replied Twilight, ignoring the dragon’s plight, “we can do it later. Just stop fooling around and pack up those books already. I want them ready for the meteor shower.”

“We don’t even know when it is!”

“Well, hopefully the Princess will be able to tell us when she gets here, and I want to be prepared for everything.”

A knock sounded at the door of the library. Twilight and Spike looked in that direction, then at each other. Spike then dropping what he was doing and ran to open the door. The little dragon pulled it open to reveal Princess Luna standing in the doorway.

“Princess Luna!” Spike declared with a bow.

Twilight rushed up to the door to greet the Princess. “Princess Luna! Welcome back to Ponyville!”

Luna smiled at the purple unicorn, “Thank you, Twilight Sparkle. I hope that my arrival did not disrupt you too much.”

“Not at all, Princess. I’m excited to see this meteor shower – it’ll be an interesting study. And I thought I might invite my friends, too.”

“A wonderful idea. It is my hope that I can tell you when it will happen. I didn’t create it, and I would hate to miss it. It’s bound to be fascinating.”

“Really? You didn’t create it?”

“Indeed not. It seems to be completely natural. It is not the first such creation, but it is the closest one thus far.”

“How interesting,” Twilight mused.

“Indeed. Now if I may ask, where shall I be staying?” Luna digressed.

“Oh! Of course, Princess. The mayor has been nice enough to set you a room in the town hall.”

“The town hall?”

“Yes, after the renovations a while back, some rooms were apparently added for ‘esteemed guests’ such as yourself.”

“Ah, understandable, but ‘esteemed guest’?”

“Yes, something the Mayor likes to say, whatever it means. You and Princess Celestia are really the only officials who visit Ponyville, and you never stay long.”

“Then I suppose it is a happy circumstance that it was done. May I take my belongings there?”

“I think so. I’ll walk you there.” Twilight turned to Spike, who had gone back to work. “Spike, I’m taking the Princess to the town hall. Finish up your chores.”

“Alright, Twilight. Done and done!” Spike declared with a salute before running back to his work.

Twilight and Luna walked from the library and into the streets of Ponyville. The sun was bright, and the many citizens of Ponyville trotted around the town, going about their lives. Some turned to look at Luna, offering a bow and a friendly wave. She looked around and smiled, waving back, happy to be able to walk around like a normal pony. The two walked along the dirt pathway towards the center of town. The great town hall appeared, and as Twilight and Luna drew closer, the ever-eager Mayor of Ponyville appeared suddenly, a bright grin on her face.

“Princess Luna,” she began with a bow, “What an honor it is to have you here in Ponyville.”

“Thank you, Mayor,” Luna replied. Twilight rolled her eyes slightly at the Mayor.

“And I think you will find that everything is up to your… Royal standards,” the Mayor continued in her overly-dramatic tone, “and should you ever require anything, you just let me know.”

“Thank you again, Mayor. I hope not to be an imposition,” Luna responded, growing tiresome of the Mayor’s persistence.

“Of course, Princess. You could never be an imposition,” the Mayor said, almost sounding offended, “Such an esteemed guest is nothing of the sort.”

Twilight rolled her eyes at the overbearing Mayor. Luna looked on with an unamused face. She spoke briefly, “Thank you again, Mayor. If you wish it, I would like to put my belongings away and get to work.” She extended a hoof as she saw the Mayor open her mouth. “And yes, I will deliver my belongings myself, and no, I don’t believe I will be giving any speeches.”

The Mayor had a frown on her face, clearly disappointed. She did so love speeches. She offered a final bow as she spoke, “Of course, Your Majesty. Call should you need anything.”

Twilight and Luna watched as the Mayor walked away to conduct whatever other business she had on her agenda. Luna was the first to speak, “I see what you mean, Twilight Sparkle. A very typical official.”

“You handled her well, though,” Twilight replied as they continued walking.

“Most officials are the same. Despite my… absence… for the past thousand years, it seems that officials have changed very little. Quite disappointing. Of all the changes in that time, I had hope that would be one.”

“Unfortunate indeed, Princess. Though I’m sure they’re not all bad.”

“Not bad, no. Just annoying. And pushy.”

Twilight giggled slightly. “'Pushy'.”

“Yes, ‘pushy’. That is the correct word, is it not?”

“Yes, Princess. It’s just funny to hear you say that.”

“Why so?”

“I’m just not used to it. Even in our private time, Princess Celestia was always formal. She is so refined, so regal.”

“And I am not?”

Twilight’s eyes widened at the implication. “No, no, of course, Princess. It’s just that it is interesting to hear your speak so freely.”

“I prefer to be involved. It helps me learn faster.”

“Well, I’d say you’re doing a wonderful job.”

The pair walked up the steps and entered the town hall. They quickly found Luna’s accommodations and unpacked her things. They readied themselves to return the library to prepare for the coming meteor shower. They were about to leave when a very pink blur rushed into the room, halting infinitesimally closely to Luna’s face.

“PrincessLunaPrincessLunaPrincessLuna!” yelled Pinkie Pie excitedly.
“OhmygoodnessIamsogladtoseeyouandIhaveanawesomeparty-”

“Pinkie,” Twilight interrupted.

Pinkie continued undaunted,
“PlannedoratleastIneedtostartplanningapartynowwhichisgoingtobetoughbecuseTwilightdidn’ttellmeyouwerecomings-”

“Pinkie!” Twilight yelled.

“SoIdon’thavemuchtimebutI’mPinkiePiethebestpartyplannerandIneversaynotoaparty.Or a challenge!” Pinkie finally ended.

“Pi- oh, never mind,” Twilight began loudly, stopping herself, tapping her hoof.

“Pinkie Pie, wonderful to see you again,” Luna smiled.

“Gottago!” Pinkie yelled before rushing out of the room as quickly as she had appeared.

Twilight groaned and lifted a hoof to her face. “I’m sorry, Princess.”

“Quite alright. She is very… energetic.”

“That’s one word for it. Shall we go?”

“We shall,” Luna began as they walked from the town hall, “Actually, shall we run into any more of your friends?”

“We might. Rainbow is sure to be somewhere around Ponyville, though she’s probably asleep. Applejack is probably on the farm or her apple stall in the market. Today is Fluttershy and Rarity’s spa day, so we might see them on their way home.”

“Good, I should like to see them.”

“You will – I was planning on inviting them to watch the shower. They enjoyed the last one I showed them. And you are bound to run into them if you stay here long enough.”

“A fine idea; perhaps I will stay longer if I can.”

“That would be wonderful, Princess!”

A brief silence fell over the two as they walked happily back to the library. Luna broke the silence with a musing.

“Twilight Sparkle, did I not ask you to call me Luna?”

“You did, yes. Quite a while back.”

“Why then do you still call me by my title?”

“I’m sorry, I’m just so used to Princess Celestia. I’ll try to remember.”

“It is really no matter, Twilight Sparkle. I was just curious.”

“Of course. And actually, I was wondering about something too…”

“Oh?”

“How are you doing? I mean, it’s been a while since you first came to Ponyville, so I was just wondering how you were doing with the whole ‘making friends and adjusting’ thing?”

“Ah, yes.” Luna wore a slightly guilty expression. “I’ve adjusted fairly well. There weren’t that many changes, actually. Some things still confuse me, but it’s just a matter of time. And as for friends… aside from you and the other five, I haven’t really made any others. What with learning about the new Equestria, my increasing duties in Canterlot, and that many ponies as less interested in friendship and more interested in shoe-licking, I’ve really not had many chances… that and… old wounds.”

“I’m sorry, Luna. It must be hard for you. Just remember, we are here for you.”

“Thank you, Twilight Sparkle. If I had more time, I would visit Ponyville more. It is a lovely little village. And once the ponies get over their fears, they seem very friendly.”

“Most are. A few you really have to work at, but many here are good ponies.”

“I should like to meet so more, perhaps see some of those I saw in my past visits.”

“You are certainly free to roam. The market is always a good place to meet ponies. OR you could ask Pinkie Pie. She knows everypony in Ponyville.”

“I may just do that.” Luna paused, her eyes shut, as if she were enjoying a refreshing breeze. “But it may have to wait. I can feel the meteors coming. Tonight, they will be here.”

“Really? You can feel that? How amazing! You must tell me what it’s like. Ooh! Maybe I could do a report, a journal!” Twilight began bouncing in excitement.

Luna laughed at the mare acting like a little filly. “I’d be more than happy to share. But later. Now we must prepare.”

Twilight calmed herself. “Of course. I already have most of my gear ready. Really I just need to invite my friends. It might be too much to ask, but do you have any clue when tonight it will get here?”

“Not precisely, no. Likely later at night, though. I’ll be more able to accurately tell you when they get closer.”

“Fair enough.” Twilight noticed they had reached the library. “Oh, we’re here! I’ll send Spike to invite the others. We need to make sure that we have everything, especially just in case a meteor lands somewhere. Unless of course you would like to wander the town…”

“No, no. I’d like to stay and help. It’s actually quite interesting. My sister has sent you to investigate. Usually the astronomy tower would do that, would it not?”

“Typically, yes. But I am well versed in most subjects, and I’m closer. If anything warrants further investigation, I can just send off a report saying so and I’m sure a team will be sent out.”

“Makes sense. It’s just so liberal. So informal. ‘Twas not always so…”

***

A group of friends gathered on a hilltop, softly lit by a crescent moon. Three fillies played as the older ponies enjoyed light conversation.

“It sure was mighty nice ‘o ya t’ invite us, Twi,” Applejack said, smiling brightly.

“Indeed,” agreed Rarity, “I’m sure the show will be spectacular!”

“Yeah, thanks Twilight!” piped up Sweetie Belle cheerfully before running off again with Scootaloo and Apple Bloom.

“Don’t thank me, thank Luna. We wouldn’t have known about this without her.”

“Well then, thank ya, Princess,” Applejack replied with a nod.

“My pleasure. I hope you will enjoy it. I’m quite excited myself.”

“It’s gonna be awesome! But I thought you said it only happened every hundred years or something?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“That last one we saw only happens once every hundred years. This is a new one,” Twilight replied.

“I’m sure it will be lovely,” Fluttershy’s small voice interjected.

“Yeah!” said Pinkie Pie through a very full mouth.

“Pinkie! Leave some for everypony else,” complained Spike, “I worked really hard on those cookies.”

Pinkie swallowed her mouthful. “But they’re just soooo good!”

Several of the ponies laughed at the pink pony’s silliness. Luna closed her eyes again and felt through the night sky. “They’re coming.”

Everypony turned their attention to the night sky as the first few meteors streaked through the sky. Bright lines of white careened through the dark blues, creating beautiful display. The serenity was broken when a large meteor burst through the air, lighting up the night as if the sun had risen. Luna looked suspiciously at the body while the other ponies carried mixed reactions of surprise, wonder, and fear. Twilight furiously scribbled down notes, but dropped her quill and scroll as they watched the meteorite land beyond the border of Ponyville, deep in the Everfree forest.

Welcome home.