• Published 19th Sep 2012
  • 1,556 Views, 103 Comments

Shield and Shadow Part 2: Renaissance - LucidReverie



The return of an old threat pushes Luna to travel Equestria in search of answers to the past. And of the future.

  • ...
3
 103
 1,556

Chapter 23: The Ancient Lands

Breeze.

The red stone dust of the Badlands was growing lighter, and the fresh greens and golds of a fertile land could be seen just up ahead. The almost dirty air of the Badlands was scrubbed clean by the incoming smell of plant life.

There was a noticeable change is the party’s demeanor. Faces seemed happy, or at least relieved. They picked up the pace, trying to get out as fast as possible.

An also audible sigh permeated the team as they felt grass on their hooves. Radiant even took to falling over and trying to roll around. The stares of the rest of the group turned her bright red, and she stood, pressing on.

Mist chuckled to himself as they walked. The sun was dipping in the sky, cooling off. Just ahead was a large hill. They climbed the slope, clearing it quickly.

Below them, a sweeping valley of hills and fields stretched out for miles. Far on the horizon, the blue of the ocean could be seen, hazy and shimmering. And just beyond, the form of a land mass.

They looked out on the green hills and the golden plains of long grass swaying in the breeze. But among the organic scenery, standing out like a stain on a coat, was the very constructed scape of a city. Or two perhaps. A massive but decayed tower stood in the center of the older-look area. Watching from the hilltop, the group felt a sense of history, like they could watch the passage of time.

“Damarescus,” Mist heard Radiant say voice think with awe and wonder. “Wow.”

“Why does it look odd?” asked Starlight, tilting her head.

“Well, there seems to be two cities there. The old one – the crumbly buildings – and a new one.”

“The ‘crumbly buildings’? Is that an official term?” Chaser teased, nudging Radiant.

“Oh, shush.” Radiant shook her head, smiling.

“It’s too far off to get to tonight. We should get as far as we can before sunset, then make camp. Head off again at dawn,” Runner declared.

The group nodded and worked its way down the hill. There was no clear path, so the most guessed directions. Until Chaser was able to fly again, they’d be without a scout.

It didn’t take long for the ponies to find a reasonable area near a small stream. The mares broke off from the group to clean up, letting the stallions set up camp. Mist, Runner, and Bleedingheart sent up the tents, and started up a fire. It took longer than usual with just the three of them, but nobody said a word or complained.

Just as the mares returned, Runner turned to Mist, a threatening and disgruntled expression marring his usually empty face.

Before the green unicorn could react, Runner unleashed a powerful buck, his hooves connecting solidly with Mist’s head. Dazed, Mist landed on the ground, sliding a fair distance. It took a moment for him to recover, head swimming, stars dotting his vision, and by the time he did recover, Runner was on him again.

“You ever use your magic on me again, I swear, by the Princess I serve, I will end you. To Tartarus with your ‘importance’. You are a threat. Nothing more. I have no idea why the Princess has chosen mercy for you, but that is the only reason I will not kill you now. N-”

“Runner!” screamed a visibly angry Chaser, who was out of her armor, orange and white colors free, flicking about like the fire.

Runner gaped, eyes wide as saucers. “Chaser, what are you doing without your armor?”

“Oh, come on! There is no ‘code’ out here, Runner. And I personally don’t want to run around in my armor at all hours. Having at least a while free is something I need.” She paused, poking the large stallion in the chest. “And something I think you need.”

“But- I-” Runner stormed off, taking to the stream, kicking dirt in Mist’s direction.

Radiant ran up to Mist as soon as she could. “Oh, Mist! Are you alright?” she asked, eyes filled with worry.

“I’m fine. Won’t be doing much talking for a while, though. And I might need someone to chew my food for me…”

“Ugh, that brute!” Radiant’s eyes threw daggers in Runner’s direction. Starlight shorted slightly.

Chaser approached Mist, ears back. “I’m sorry… He- he means well, but he’s… a stubborn mule of a pony. And he shouldn’t have hit you…”

“Yeah… I wish he – ugh – hadn’t.” Mist rubbed his cheek, spitting a small glob of blood onto grass. “But I get it…”

“I’ll go talk to him…” Chaser walked off to find Runner.

Mist tried to stand, legs wobbling. Radiant caught him, helping him stay up. “Heh, thanks Radiant…” he said, stars still flitting in his vision.

Bleedingheart, looking unamused, joined Radiant. “Come on, let’s get you cleaned up.”

*********

“Argh! That boy can kick hard.” Mist sat near Bleedingheart’s tent, the medical pony dabbing some ointment on Mist’s face, Radiant watching and flinching occasionally.

“You’re lucky he pulled that kick. I-”

“He pulled that kick?” Radiant asked, incredulous.

“Yes. I’ve seen him buck through a brick wall before. Left him with a fractured leg, but the wall ended up with a new doorway.”

Mist exhaled slowly. “Huh… so I should try to not piss him off…”

“That’d be a good idea.” Bleedingheart looked at Mist over his thin-rimmed glasses. “I won’t be the one to pick up the pieces if you do.”

Mist only imagined what could set off Runner again. He hadn’t exactly endeared himself to the earth pony, so he was sure it would be hard to cause an upset.

“Seen a lot of battles, Spring Mist?” Bleedingheart suddenly asked.

“None, why?” Mist curiously watched the doctor examine him further.

“Then especially brutal guard training?”

“Not really.” Mist looked at Radiant, who shrugged.

“No accidents?”

“No… again, why?”

“I just noticed your scars. I can’t really tell what caused them…” Bleedingheart peered at one very closely.

Mist looked down, seeing old scars reappeared, tarnishing his coat. They weren’t horrific, but they were noticeable. Mist’s eyes went wide. Oh, that’s not good. “Those… look like the scars I had when I came back…”

“What?”

“When I… fell from the sky… I spend a stint as a star, then crashed in the Everfree forest. Left me near death, and all kinds of shattered. Those scars vanished, though…” Mist gazed off, trying to make sense of things.

“O-kay… I have no idea then,” Bleedingheart said with a raised eyebrow. “Just keep an eye on them, I guess…”

Bleedingheart finished working on Mist, leaving him to the rest of the night. Mist and Radiant walked together toward the center of the camp, to the campfire. Runner and Chaser had not returned yet. Mist wondered what Chaser could do to rebuke Runner, realistically.

As the two ponies walked to the campfire, Luna appeared from her tent, looking timid and frail. “Spring Mist…”

Mist looked at Luna, then at Radiant. She nodded with a slight smile, and walked to the fire, taking a seat, warming her hooves. Mist sighed and walked to Luna. When he reached her, he saw worry etched on her face, so not much had changed.

“Are you alright, Spring Mist?” she asked quietly.

“I’ll be fine. Not the first time I’ve been kicked in the head,” he replied, shrugging. “Never that hard, but it happens.”

“I’m glad to hear that… I’m… I’m sorry Runner did what he did. It wasn’t right…” Her eyes were downcast, sad.

Mist shook his head. “I think we’re all just on edge. I don’t know if we’re going to get to a point of total cooperation… but it’d help. I don’t think it’s a good idea to kill each other off when we have plenty of other things to do that for us.”

“True. We do need synergy…” Luna’s eyes darted around briefly, leaving a pause.

“Princess, how did that dragon know about the Nightmare?”

Luna jolted. “I assume he sensed it. Some creatures are more adept at that than others. Maybe he ‘smelled’ it. I’m not sure…”

“He can do that?” Mist prodded.

“I’m not sure. Dragons remain one of the most elusive species in the world. They are not inclined to share themselves lightly.”

“And you don’t think it was a little too easy, defeating him?” His skepticism rang through clearly.

“I do,” Luna agreed. “Far too easy. I’m honestly surprised nopony was lost. Flare Chaser came too close.”

“We’re a good team.” Something flicked in Mist’s mind. Doubts. “But you’re having doubts, aren’t you?”

“Of course. I have for the last few years. But doubts are what led us here. I’ll not have the past repeat itself.”

Mist smiled. “Well, I’m glad you’re so resolute.” His smile faded. “What’s next?”

“We head to Damarescus.” Luna picked up. “See what we can find. It’s an ancient city, full of secrets.”

“And you think we’ll find something there?”

“I hope so. There are stories of an emperor driven mad, and the destruction of the city. I don’t personally recall any of this, however…”

“Still confused as to how you can live for thousands of years – perhaps more – and be incredibly powerful, and yet be so forgetful.”

She glared for a second. “I don’t appreciate the insinuation, Spring Mist. But your point is valid. Unfortunately, my answer remains the same: I don’t know.”

“Well I can’t say that’s not good enough. I just hope we know what we’re getting into. Last time we rushed, it didn’t end well.” Mist gave a wan smile.

Luna flinched slightly, recoiling visibly. Mist’s ears splayed back. Luna spoke before he could continue, “You’re right. Let’s hope mistakes are not repeated.”

Mist nodded, a knot tying itself in his stomach. “So that’s where it stands. Okay…” Without another word, Mist turned his back to Luna, heading to the campfire.

*******

Black.

You know where you are. Does that bring you peace?

Not as much as I had hoped.

Such is the truth. It is not always a force of joy and happiness.

I’d appreciate it if you didn’t bother me right now. I’m not in the mood.

But now is the perfect time. The voice didn’t chide or insult.

Not for me.

But it was never about you, was it?

It’s my life. I’d like to think my life is about me.

No, your life is about those around you. The situations you are thrown into. Life, your life, is about consequences. You mean nothing. What you do means everything.

So, ‘me’ is a meaningless thing?

I suppose it is. At least the way you see it.

What do you mean?

Unbelievable. You’d think that in a thousand years you’d figure something out. Yet here you are, moping like a colt who knows nothing. You’ve had so much handed to you, so much knowledge, wisdom, experience.

But it doesn’t help. Not this. I know what needs to happen, but… this still hurts.

There are other ways. Other paths.

And I should follow your advice? You haven’t exactly helped.

Mist, I’ve only given you what I can. What you do with it is up to you. I’ve told you this.

You’ve given me nothing!

Really? Can I remind you who helped you when you were lost? Who was there when you were looking for advice, for direction? When you were new and hopeful, but thrown into a situation you never should have been in? I was even there when you came back. I was there, Mist. You say I wasn’t. That hurts.

Wait… who are you?

The darkness parted, revealing a figure, cloaked in a dark cowl. Mist tried to push back the darkness even more, willing it to depart. The pony was pink. A familiar pink.

Radiant? No. Sweetroll? No… no… Caramel Tart.

The pony removed its cowl. The old mare stood with a gentle smile and tired eyes. She simply stood, unmoving.

“Caramel Tart! What are you doing here?” Mist ran to her, but he never grew closer. She stood still, her smile fading slightly.

“You need help. That’s why I’m here. You always came to me for answers. Now I’m coming to you to provide the same.”

“What do I do? I’m so far out of my element I can barely think straight.”

“You have this ‘great evil’ inside you. You do what you must to remove it. You are not a selfish pony, Mist. A foolish one, perhaps, but not a selfish one. Everything you have done to is to serve, help, and protect those around you. I know you – you’d do this alone if you could.”

“But… it’s getting so hard.” Mist hung his head.

“Of course. And this is the beginning. That’s life! You win some, you lose some. Just be happy while you do it. That is the Nightmare’s weakness. It will twist and corrupt, but if you just be happy, it can do nothing.”

“How… how do you know this? Wait…” Mist looked closer, peering at Caramel Tart. She stood the same still as before, but as Mist drew nearer, shadow enveloped her, climbing like tendrils, dragging her into the black. “Caramel Tart!”

She’s gone, Mist.

“You took her!” Mist yelled into the void.

She was never there.

“What are you talking about? She was right there!”

She's been dead a thousand years. Your mind. It’s trying to find answers.

Mist challenged, “But she was there! I saw her.”

And because you see, does that make something real?

“I- It should!”

But it doesn’t. You have NOTHING! I am all there is, all there ever will be for you! You gave yourself willingly, and I intend to claim!

********

Mist awoke with a gasp. He looked around, surrounded by darkness. But a haze of light pouring in from somewhere. He rolled over and pushed open the flap on his tent. The sun was barely showing over the hills, but it was dawn.

Mist walked from his tent, up the nearest hill. A slight breeze wafted around him, making the grass sway gently. Below, in the distance, Damarescus, the ancient city, lay in wait.

Let’s go.