• Published 19th Sep 2012
  • 1,556 Views, 103 Comments

Shield and Shadow Part 2: Renaissance - LucidReverie



The return of an old threat pushes Luna to travel Equestria in search of answers to the past. And of the future.

  • ...
3
 103
 1,556

Chapter 17: The first steps

Weight.

Spring Mist stood outside. The sun was low in the sky, Princess Celestia having just raised the bright orb. A heavy travel pack was slung over his back, pressing against him. He looked left and right. The ponies he would be travelling with for goodness-knows how long were standing beside him, some happier than others. At least one seemed livid.

A dark spot appeared in the sky, approaching from the distant towers of Canterlot. It steadily grew larger and larger. The group looked up, tracking its movement. Eventually, it took shape. An alicorn was descending upon the safehouse, bearing her own share of equipment. Mist watched as Luna drew closer, and smiled once he could clearly see her face. She flew serenely, peacefully. It was something that made Mist infinitely happy, giving him a sense of fulfilled purpose. Seeing her just reminded him of why he loved her so dearly.

The blue Princess finally landed. She breathed heavily for a few moments before gaining her composure. She looked to the group, addressing them, shifting her bags with her magic as she spoke:

“Friends. Thank you all for being here. Truly. Not only is this an effort to protect Equestria, but so to a personal favor to me. As your Princess, I thank you eternally for your services, and there should be no reason why, as your friend, you do not deserve my thanks, respect, and sincerest appreciation. This journey is uncertain at best, but what is certain, is that it will be perilous. If all goes according to plan, we will find what we need soon and be home in a timely manner, prayerfully unscathed. We all know what we must do, and the prices we must pay, both in failure and success. So my dear friends, with haste we shall move forward.”

Luna bowed to the group, and they all reciprocated. Mist remained upright, enamored by the Princess before him, unable to tear his gaze away. Either nopony noticed or cared, as they all rose and began to pick up their last few effects, leaving Mist and Luna to speak.

She looked at him, unwavering gaze, as unreadable as her sister. Mist’s smile faded slowly, worry beginning to take hold. He didn’t like when he could tell what ponies were thinking, least of all Luna. He decided on a whim to bow, feeling that maybe the act would elicit a response. His idea came to fruition, with Luna speaking softly, but firmly.

“I told you never to bow to me,” she said, still unreadable. “You really don’t listen, do you?”

Mist’s face was no longer bright, but instead solemn, ponderous. “I know, but I had hoped it would make you speak.” He paused, watching her for any change. “Talk to me, Luna.”

“I cannot. Not now. We will speak once we are on the road.” She said nothing more, instead walking to Radiant Bloom, engaging her in conversation.

Mist stood as the team assembled, ready to finally begin their voyage. Mist looked at the group, happy to have them all there. But despite his pleasure with the gathering of ponies, he was still filled with dread. The quest could easy be a fool’s errand.

Bleedingheart spoke up as they began walking, mostly to himself, but snide as usual, “Should have stayed in Canterlot… Damn, this is going to be a long trip…”

Mist looked over to Luna, who stared straight ahead as they plodded forward. He hung his head, speaking under his breath, “You have no idea…”

******************

They were south of Canterlot, in an open quarry-like area. They had passed through a section of the Everfree Forest, and according to Chaser, they were quite a distance east of Ponyville. Mist let his mind wander as they kept walking.

He thought back to his week in Ponyville. The ponies he had met there, the ponies who helped him despite not knowing him. Zecora, that odd zebra who had saved his life. He missed her, wondered what she was doing, where she was. Her hut was likely not too far away. She was probably concocting some mysterious brew or potion.

Twilight Sparkle, probably sitting in her library, pouring over a book, or in her lab, performing some experiment. Applejack, Mist’s favorite of the group, was probably selling her delicious apple produce in the market. There was a part of Mist that as drawn back to Ponyville, to the ponies he knew there. It was safe, quiet, like Everfree.

He looked out to the forest, trying to figure out just where that city stood, where its bones now rest. He hung his head, sorely missing his home, his friends, his life. He missed Caramel Tart, and Bloom. He missed Clove. His house, his tower. He looked up, casting his gaze at Luna. Perhaps he missed her the most. To him, it had only felt like a brief separation, a sort time away. But she had grown distant. The horror that came with the Nightmare was far more subtle than Mist had thought. He stomped, cursing that infernal creature.

Radiant Bloom sidled up next to Mist, concern etched on her face. She looked at him for the longest time before speaking.

“Are you okay, Mist?” she asked earnestly.

Mist looked at her, eyes hard. “I just… miss my old life. My city would be just over there -” he gestured toward Everfree Forest “- and there’s nothing. All of my friends are dead, having lived their lives as expected, I suppose. I could have had that. Instead, I’m here – a thousand years later. Everything I loved, gone. Most things in the world vastly different than how I had known them. Runner calls me old, and he’s right. Sure, I have the body of a younger stallion, but I’m so stuck in the past, so woefully behind the progression of the world, that I may as well be a frail old pony, just waiting to die. I gave up my life, perhaps foolishly, for the mare that I loved, still love, and now… I have no idea. The first day or two, we were right back to how we had been, like we had never left each other. But ever since heading to Canterlot, facing the threat of hosting the Nightmare, then being left alone for months, awaiting my sentence, things have changed. I have the worst feeling that she’s… no longer mine. You said that she was trying to work out her feelings, and I fear she has. And if that is her choice, all I can do is keep loving her, seeing if there can’t be some way to work it out. Because if we can’t fix it, then everything I have done has been for naught. And what do I do then?”

Radiant looked at Mist, her eyes blurring slightly. “I-” she tried, “I… do you want an answer, Mist?”

“I don’t know… I’m terrified that an answer might confirm my fears.”

“Well, then I’m just glad to listen. But I’ll answer when you’re ready.”

They walked in silence for a time, passing through the quarry and entering a large plain. A river rushed past ahead, the gurgling sound audible through the silent landscape. The sun had begun to dip lower in the sky, so the group would be stopping soon. They had decided to avoid travelling at night for as long as possible, so they would make camp just before sunset. Mist guessed that they would have just crossed the river by the time came to set up for the night.

Finding himself correct, Mist shrugged off his pack as the others began setting up their sleeping gear. The night air was warm, comfortable, and there was not a cloud in sight. Nopony set up a tent, merely laying out bedrolls. Chaser had rushed off to collect wood for the small fire that Starlight and Runner were arguing about.

“Why won’t you just let me do it? It’d be so much easier!” Starlight argued.

“That’s not the point! I don’t want it easy – I like the challenge,” Runner argued back.

“But it’s not efficient to do it yourself. This trip is going to be difficult enough, so why add the struggle of such a nonissue as lighting a fire?”

“Because I don’t want your magic to be the thing I have to sleep next to. I’d rather have a properly constructed fire.”

Mist watched as the two bickered over the fire, both oblivious to the fact that Chaser had returned and had already created quite the pleasant little blaze of flame in the center of the camp. Mist lay down on his roll, away from the others, seeing Chaser shake her head slightly as her fellow guard and the unicorn scholar argued in their own oblivious world.

His gaze shifted upwards, to the night sky. Completely free, Mist watched as the stars performed their dance in the great span of the celestial ocean. Luna’s moon sat high in the sky, shedding soft light. Its crescent form appeared as a slight gouge in the sky, like a wound or a tear, a hole in a cloth, letting light slowly filter through.

Mist rose quietly, casting a slight shadow over himself. He moved to his pack, opening a side pouch, and pulling out a wooden case. Looking back to the camp – Runner and Starlight still arguing, Luna and Bleedingheart talking, and Radiant showing Chaser how to cook something over the fire – Mist saw a chance. He moved quickly away, back towards the river.

Finding a small hill, Mist placed the case down. He opened it to reveal the parts to a disassembled telescope. He began twisting and turning the pieces, fitting them together. “Must remember to really thank Radiant for getting me this,” he muttered to himself as the last piece clicked into place.

Pulling the tripod section closer, he extended the legs, mounting the completed telescope on its base. Mist stepped back, impressed by the design of the telescope. “Would have been nice to have something like this before. Copper Star would love this design. I wonder if he had a hoof in the design…” he mused to himself.

Mist approached the telescope, peering through the small eyepiece. A blur filled his vision, and he began twisting the numerous knobs dotting the scope’s body. The green glow of his magic was obscured by his shadow spell, but it worked away undaunted. Slowly, the night sky came into focus. Small pinpoints of lights flickered against the canvas of dark blues and black.

Mist sighed, tears forming in his eyes. Wiping them, he kept looking up at the stars. Without thinking, as he had done so many times before, he pulled out a notebook and a quill – no, a pencil – and began writing down his observations.

He pointed to a familiar spot in the sky – just near the moon – where once he had discovered a star. It was still there, flickering gently. Star. Or Umbra. Wonder which stuck. Should have asked Twilight. At least it’s still there.

Of course it’s still there. Where would it have gone?

Oh funny. Just let me get my bearings again okay? I’ve been through a lot.

You? No, no. We have been through a lot.

You are me.

Are you so sure?

Well… yes, actually. I am. You can’t be anything but me.

Oh, but you and I both know that’s not true. I could be… “anything.”

Mist turned sharply, hearing the final word issued from behind him. Breathing rapidly, Mist examined the area, looking back at the camp. The fire still burned, but no sound could be heard. Mist figured they had all gone to sleep by now. And that what he had heard was nothing but his own mind playing tricks.

Oh, very funny, brain. Thanks.

“Oh, you’re welcome.”

Mist turned sharply again, and was confronted by… himself. But… not. The pony before him was mangled, scarred, broken, with glowing eyes and radiating a dark aura. It was unmistakably Mist, though. It was as if he was looking in a mirror. He shook his head, just to make sure he wasn’t seeing things. But when he opened his eyes, the figure stood before him, the same as before.

Mist swallowed, beginning to shake. He took a step forward and, beyond all reason and logic, nudged the ominous pony. Solid enough, it didn’t seem bothered. Mist remained speechless as he took in what he was seeing. Then the thing opened its mouth. Through sharpened teeth and fangs, it spoke in Mist’s voice, “Oh, don’t look so surprised.”

“And just why not?” Mist inquired haughtily.

“Very little should surprise you. But do you like what you see?” The pony struck a pose, showing itself off.

Mist cocked an eyebrow. “Uh… not really. I prefer looking like myself, thank you.”

“But this is how you look. Oh, and you’ll like these.” The pony reeled back slightly, flaring a set of wings, showing them off with clear pride.

“Okay, no. I’m done. You played with me once. Never again.” Mist began to walk away, but found himself uncomfortably close to pony as it appeared in front of him.

“Oh, I don’t think you’re going anywhere right now.” Mist found himself unable to move, free gripping him.

“Please,” he began begging, “Don’t do this. Just leave us be. You’ve ruined enough.”

“Oh, so he begs now. No, you see, I don’t think I have ruined quite enough yet. I really wish you could see what I did to the others like you.”

“Nightmare, enough. None of this.” Mist breathed in heavily and walked around the Nightmare’s pony form. He walked back to his telescope, packing it away. Mist looked up suddenly, realizing that the Nightmare had said nothing. It was still standing near him, but saying nothing. Merely watching him. “What? No threats?”

“Spring Mist, you know what your fate is. No point in explaining it again and again.”

“No…” Mist squinted at the Nightmare, moving closer. “Something is different. You only show up now, far outside of Canterlot. You haven’t overtly threatened me or made some grandiose statement about taking over the world. And you haven’t said anything thus far. What’s changed?”

The Nightmare looked displeased. “You are seeing things that are not there. I am merely allowing you some normalcy so that I may take it away in some horrific way later.”

“Well, that’s more like it, but you still aren’t your usual ‘conniving’ self…” Mist turned his back to the Nightmare, finishing the task of packing his telescope. Most odd, something is different…

“Nothing is different!” The Nightmare almost yelled.

“Well, you can still hear my thoughts... So, what if I tell the others about this.”

“Go ahead, fill them with worry, concern, fear. All the better for me. It will change nothing in my plan. And look, here comes one of your little friends. No Luna? Oh, how that must kill you.” A smirk appeared on the Nightmare’s face.

“Why yo-“

“Mist?” came a soft voice.

Mist looked towards the voice, seeing the worried face of Radiant Bloom standing a short distance away. “Radiant,” Mist addressed.

“Who were you talking to?” she asked curiously.

Mist looked back to where the Nightmare stood. It stood with pride. A smile still etched on its face. Mist furrowed his brow. “Nopony… just thinking out loud. I do that sometimes…”

“Oh, alright. Are you okay, Mist?” Radiant asked, “I was worried. We have a long journey tomorrow.”

“Yes, I’m fine. Just enjoying being out in the open. I’ll be heading back in a moment.”

“Alright, Mist,” the mare said with a yawn. “I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Okay Radiant, sleep well.”

Mist watched as she walked away, back to the camp. He turned back to the Nightmare. “She couldn’t see you?”

“No. And you said nothing.”

“Hmm…” Mist picked up his belongings and head back to the camp.

This’ll be fun, Spring Mist.