• Published 29th Apr 2022
  • 992 Views, 88 Comments

The Darkest Hour - Anemptyshell



An amnesiac Thestral awakens in the Everfree, under an eternal night sky. Only to be thrown into the deep waters of political theatre and a stirring Rebellion. The world is off, our hero knows that much, but how and why are left to be seen.

  • ...
2
 88
 992

Everfree Never Caged

"That's everything, right? Please tell me that's everything?" I yelled across the room. Sabre and I made it back to my rooms with little dally. That didn't mean the severity of our situation didn't settle on my mind like an avalanche burying me in a panic attack and hot hooves.

"Sir, please."

"Crap, crap, crap."

I scanned the room for the tenth time. We didn't have time for mistakes. Did I forget anything? I must have. We needed to leave and leave now. The sound of one hoof clapping pulled me from my inner turmoil. The sound and the following sting across my cheek. Sabre stood in front of me, scowling.

"Sir, we need to leave now. Get it together."

I coughed into a hoof. "Yes, right, you're right."

I stuttered as I brought my other hoof up to rub my cheek. Hooves hurt like hell. Sabre already had his pack on. His was light. I guess being a guard in a racist castle didn't pay well. I followed as he threw the door wide, and we trotted, as a hurried but not overly so. We certainly didn't need any extra attention if Rarity was being honest with us. I had a feeling she was. There was something about the way she looked at us. It was distant, yes, but never cold.

"South exit, right?" I asked.

"Yes, the others will be waiting. Take the next left."

Sabre pointed his muzzle ahead. We skirted around a trio of nobles who snorted in distress when an earth pony all but ran them over. I offered a wave behind us as the persnickety group yelled after us. We passed one guard, but no response. We passed two more, not a peep. We were so close. We were gonna make it.

On some level, I'd miss the castle. It was dark and dreary and far too large for the amount of those who worked and lived here. That was all just a part of what made the castle what it is. It was, in a sense, my home, not the home I wanted, but one all the same. I might not remember what came before I woke up in those woods, but I know that I wouldn't forget the last months for anything. They were just as much a part of who I was now.

These sad tidings were interrupted as a hoof jabbed my side. The sudden action had me jump, wings fluttering mindlessly as I did so. The attacker was not a guard at all, not even mine. Blueblood stood brow raised as I fell to earth. Sabre had only just stopped, several meters ahead. He was not amused.

"Really now, Stargazer, we don't have time for such antics," Blueblood said and pointed to Sabre. "We have places to be."

I swiped at Blue, only for him to duck out of the way. "Right, my reaction totally had nothing to do with you."

Blue smiled back. "Glad we agree, now move. We've nary a second to waste."

Thus our now trio continued on. The low lights grafted permanent shadows in every corner. Every pony we passed could, at any second, yell for us to stop. We made it to the main foyer, where a pair of curved stairways were the focal point, and we'd made it around the left bend behind the stars in question. We hand a single turn at the foyer entrance and a straight path to the southern checkpoint.

"So close."

I hissed between grit teeth. My heart was so loud even my own words were nearly drowned out. Bright and Solemn were nowhere in sight. I hoped they'd made it to the gate. We turned the corner. This was it.

Then I heard it, the sound of many hooves pounding down the stairs behind us.

"Stop!"

It wasn't one or two guards. It wasn't a misdirect or happenstance. Rarity had been dead on the money. A dozen guards, all thestral, royal guards, were headed our way. The vanguard pointed at us and demanded we cease once more.

I'd never moved as fast as I did at that moment. My lungs burned, my knees ached, and my heart continued to pulse in my throat. The checkpoint was mulled about by a pair of half-awake non-thestral guards. That meant they were less likely to know what was going on. It was that chance that allotted us precious seconds.

It was the fact we came sprinting down the hall that Bright Pitch and Solemn Mind, who had struck up a light banter between the guards and themselves, granted us a chance. I whistled as we approached. Solemn looked up to me and then to the parade behind me. I could see him cursing long before we could hear him.

"Go!" I said as I passed our two companions. The gate guards blinked in surprise and barely had time to stand before the five of us were out the door.

"Hold them."

One of the guards behind me shouted. The gate guards only looked over all the more confused. They didn't get paid enough for this. We were in the open. We were on the road, and right behind us, the striking talons of a foul beast. They were still behind us, and they sounded all the angrier.

The heavens and the moon's gentle light replaced the stone, greys, and blues. The trees and grass whipping passed as we ran.

"Where?" I asked.

"Cursed royal battalion. We have at least twenty to our backs," solemn growled.

"Cut through the forest?" Blueblood asked?"

"Dangerous, almost as bad as the bats to our back," Sabre answered.

"We don't have many options."

Solemn looked ready to burst. We rounded the bend. We were lucky we had the headstart we did. For a moment, the guard lost sight, and that was the only advantage we had at the moment. We couldn't outrun that many trained soldiers. Sabre and maybe Bright could, but the rest of us, not a chance.

"Hey, look, a cart."

Bright said from his position at the head of the herd. The bastard had enough energy for three points at least. I'd never heard of him hitting the gym. I wish I'd thought to now that I thought about it.

"Bright, that's--"

My words died in my mouth. The cart, and more so the puller of said cart, had me double-take. There it was. However, Spade walked modestly, a plethora of large pottery clattering along in his rickety old wooden cart.

"Oh, Star, Sabre, better slow it down, lest you run yourself to the grave," Spade said as we neared him. I wanted to plant a hoof to my face, but I needed all four for running. "What's the rush, see a ghost or something?"

"Guards, running, right behind."

I managed through gasping breaths. We didn't have time to stop, but we didn't have any plan. The guard certainly wasn't going to care. The fact Spade knew us could get him in trouble, too, if left alone.

"Oh, you really are a pro at getting chased out of places, aren't you?" Spade said with a subtle smile and wink. "Guess I have to save you again. Get in the pots."

"Do what?" Blueblood gasped.

"Star, you know this pegasus?" Solemn asked.

I trotted over to the cart. We had a minute at most. I pulled my weight up and grabbed the rim of the largest pot I could. I pulled the wooden top free and peered into the empty vessel.

"Get in the stupid pots, now," I said before hefting myself in and pulling the top up and over my head.

"Sounds good," Bright said. I could feel it as she hopped up behind me. Then another pair of hooves. It was heavier, I guessed Sabre.

"For the love of Faust," Solemn swore, and then another pound of flesh joined the jar hunt. Then the final slower shifting of weight. Blueblood did not sound happy.

The cart shifted and slowly moved forward. Seconds passed, and there was silence. I could hear Spade whistling a woeful tune as he moved, and the carriage moved with him.

Then more seconds. I could barely move in my new and perhaps last shield from the iron hoof of Her Majesty the Queen. Then the sound of many heavy things made the cart tremble harder. Spade didn't even stop whistling. He just plodded on, our lives perhaps dependant on his stalwart motion.

"Halt!"

The cart came to a slow stop. All we could do now was listen and pray.

"Yes, sir?" Spade asked.

"Who goes there, state your reason for haberdashing around in the Everfree?" the guard, I assumed the leader, it was undoubtedly the one who'd just yelled.

"Sturdy Spade. I run the Sweet Apple Cemetary in Ponyville."

"I see."

I could hear the shuffling of bodies. The cart was being or already was surrounded.

"What brings a grave digger to the Everfree?"

"I do stonework, the graves, and whatnot. The castle sometimes hires me to fix pottery and the like. I also collect fertilizer from the edges or empty lots of the cemetery. Dead bodies really make for great produce. It's a living."

"That's quite a few pots, jars, and vases," the lead guard said. He hummed for a moment, I don't suppose we could give your pots a once over."

My gut tucked in. I was starting to tremble. If they saw the pot moving, it was all over. I bit down on a hoof to steady my focus. The trickle of iron on my tongue didn't sit well with my already brewing stomach.

"I guess. Though, I'd suggest holding your breath. The fertilizer will hit like a train if you go in unprepared. You need to remember that the best soil is the worst smelling. I'm not a farmer, but I've picked that up over the years."

"Yes, well," the guard leader said.

I could feel the weight shift in the back of the cart. There was tapping on pots and muttering under breath. My heart felt like it'd burst. My stomach churned. Acidic bile hit the back of my throat. There was a heavy knock on the side of my pot.

The top of the pot rose. A shadow loomed overhead. I heaved, and the shadow above drew back. The top half fell over the lip of my shelter.

"Oh buck, what in the name of the night was that. I think I'm gonna be sick."

The weight jostled the cart and then disappeared altogether.

"Told ya. The stench alone is enough to push up daisies."


A shuffling of hooves below and the felled whispers of the guards granted a moment of reprieve. Then the lead stallion groaned. "What, you've seen this one before? In the name of the queen, fine. You are as you say. So feathered peasant or not. I will give you a chance to prove your loyalty to the crown."

"Oh, that's sporting, sir, thank you," Spade said. A poker face Spade may have, but his sarcasm was horrible. I could feel the faux-sweetness, and it tasted awful.

"We are on the hunt for a quintet of traitors. They came this way, don't bother saying you didn't see them. They came through this path, so which way did they go."

More bodies shifted about the cart. They'd boxed Spade in. I had to hold my breath just to keep from panting.

"The thestrals and their guard or whatever?" I felt the weight in my front hitch. "Cut through the thickets there. It's a straight shot to town from there. I thought they seemed in a massive rush. I kinda hoped it was a manicure. The venom of those things is worth a mint. Easier to get from the mauled than the beast itself. It's good for dyes too."

There was a curt choking. "Yes, well. I suggest you hurry. Lest you end up the mauled."

"That'd be a bother."

The guard leader, it'd be nice if I knew the rank. Yelled to the troops, and as suddenly as they came, the herd was stomping through the brush. It wasn't ideal, but it was better than nothing. It'd buy us a little time. Enough time for a dip in the nearest lake, river, stream, hell, I'd take a puddle. The scent of my breakfast coated my belly in a layer of greenish-brown slop. It was almost enough to have me repeat my folly.

"Well, that was fun," Spade said. The wagon shifted and started moving again. "You can come above. They're out of sight and hearing distance by now. They are not the smartest bunch. Oh, and the vomit was a nice touch. I thought they'd have us there."

I slowly pulled my head from the pot and leered down at Spade, who'd started whistling again. This tune was a tad less depressing. Thought that was quickly countered by my filth. The others popped out their pots one by one. Spade stopped long enough for us to dismount, but It did little for the whole not getting close to the stallion who was coated in oats and omelet.

"So, mind filling me in?" Spade asked, unhitching himself from his cart.

"We're freedom fighters," Bright announced with a flourish and a bow.

"Rebels on our way, far from this vile place," Solemn added.

"Neat," Spade said, walking over to the path not traveled by the thestral goons. "So, we can cut through here. It'll bring us out past White Tail Wood. Then we'll have a direct line of sight to Canterlot."

"Us?" I asked.

"I just conned a bunch of royal guards. They'll come for me, whether I was honest or not. So, it looks like death do us part."

"Neato, we got another partner in crime. I am so turning this quest into a multi-book series. Now all I need is a name."

"Yes, well, a name will wait. The pegasus is right. My maps show a direct crossing of White Tail and a path to the old Centerway. Let's move. The longer we stand around, the worse Star's new cologne gets."

That earned a few snorts. "Yeah, yeah, just remember this is the smell that saved your lives. You're all quite welcome."

I threw my nose to the sky. It made the smell a bit more bearable. Spade shrugged and ducked into the brush me right behind.

"If you say so, sir."

Sabre took his normal place behind me, with maybe a hoof or two extra. I can't believe these guys are my friends. I blame the school system.

"So, Sabre, you know this sturdy Spade, yes?" Solemn asked.

"Course they do. He was the guy who saved their butts back in Ponyville. Remember? That wasn't that long ago. You going senile on us, Solemn?" Bright asked.

"Of course not. Heavens forbid such rubbish. If you hadn't noticed, we've been a tad busy. Thank you very much."

"You have some lively friends, Star."

Spade looked back my way. I scoffed and avoided meeting his gaze.

"Friends indeed, and yes, yes they are."

"Between the four of you, this walk is going to be the death of me," Blueblood said.

"Or the manticores, timber wolves, normal wolves, crocodiles, hydras, or the ever allusive cockatrice."

Bright punctuated every name with a dart, duck, or dash. He scanned the treeline and otherwise seemed just happy to be here.

"Quite," Blueblood agreed.

"It was bold of you to help us, and all on the spot as it was. I apologize for the inconvenience," Solemn offered Spade. The pegasus shrugged. He was making a habit out of that. Mayhaps our dour friend has a hero complex?

"None needed. I help those who need it. A dry eye is all the reward I'll ever need. Star needed help, so I helped. You needed help, so I helped. I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but that is half my job."

A snort had me look back to Sabre, who tried very hard not to smile. A secret he and I might very well take to the grave. I sooner than him if I went around killing his super-serious vibes and the like.

"So, we're off, Canterlot, here we come."