• Published 28th Apr 2022
  • 415 Views, 40 Comments

La Femme Fatale - bkc56



I could tell a lot about a client just by watching them walk into the office. This one was trouble.

  • ...
2
 40
 415

The Client

The city of Canterlot could be a cruel mistress. You pour all your love and attention into her, and she ignores you like a dead houseplant in the kitchen window. That's how I felt now: disregarded and desiccated. That doesn’t mean I desire you any less. Plus, business was slow. Who am I kidding? I hadn't landed a case in two weeks. A private detective without a case is about as useless as, well… a dead houseplant.

As I sat at my desk considering my place in the universe, there was a knock at the door, and she walked in. I first noticed the two pairs of shapely gams with perfectly manicured hooves. She had all the right curves in all the right places. A translucent sundress teased at her svelte figure. The forward tilt of her wide-brimmed hat shaded her eyes in mystery. She moved as if working a fashion show runway with every part of her body enticing some unseen audience. I’d have bought whatever she was selling.

This was a mare of class and distinction. So what was she doing here?

I stood up. "Good afternoon. I'm Dark Steel. Would you care to sit?" I gestured at a chair. She ran a hoof across the back and checked it for dust. After evaluating the risk to her dress, she sat down. I inhaled a hint of honeysuckle.

She lifted her head to reveal piercing blue eyes. “Good day Mr Steel. My name is Jasmine Chapeau.” My brow furrowed slightly. "I see you recognize the name."

With a single nod, I admitted, "I do."

The twinkle in her eye was both enticing and terrifying. "Please, tell me more."

I took a quick breath to refocus. "Last month, I received an anonymous retainer. The note that accompanied the rather substantial bag of bits said simply: Investigate Jasmine Chapeau. I’ll be in touch.” I opened a desk drawer and extracted a half-empty bag. There was the unmistakable metallic rattle as it landed on the desk. "Your change."

She glanced at the bag as if gauging the number of bits remaining. "Why do you assume it was I who hired you?"

I leaned back. "Do you deny it?"

After a pause, she asked, "And what did your investigation reveal?"

"You are a mare of substantial influence." That is, insanely wealthy. "You own a chain of stores located in Manehattan, Canterlot, and other large cities." Which is why you are insanely wealthy. "Those stores sell, of all things, hats." I gestured at the hat tree by the door. "My fedora was purchased from your store here in Canterlot some years ago."

She smirked. "I noticed that when I entered. A classic design that remains popular year in and year out, despite the season or the fickle whims of fashion." Her gaze returned to me. "Please continue..."

"You’ve had a long line of potential suitors over the years," Leeches looking for a free ride, "Which you have consistently turned away.” From the trail of names left in your wake, you always made the correct choice.

"Social flotsam, all of them." A nicer description than what I was thinking.

“This pattern has led to some…” I grinned, “Colorful rumors.”

A shadow of emotion crossed her face. Pain? Regret? “Rumors can hide a less desirable truth.” Probably best to move on.

"Multiple sources were consistent in describing you as a reputable business mare with an aggressive, yet honest approach. The employees I spoke with were satisfied with their jobs, salary, and working environment."

Her face lit up with a smile and I immediately understood why there had been so many stallions, and a few mares in that line. "I find that satisfied employees are both loyal and hard working. A company is only as strong as the foundation of its ponies."

“And not the owner?”

“The owner is the architect. But without that foundation, it’s destined to collapse sooner or later.” And that’s why you own a chain of successful stores.

"I also discovered I was not the only investigative archeologist to dig into this case. Some of the ponies I interviewed were amenable to the influence of a few bits and provided the names of other firms who had questioned them. It's a veritable who's who of major detective agencies with a few wild cards, like myself, thrown in."

"May I see the list?" I opened a manila folder packed with papers. “My file?” I nodded as I handed her the list. After careful review, she placed it on the desk. "Impressive. That appears to be complete."

"I am not in the habit of overlooking details in an investigation." I hefted her file to emphasize the thickness.

She scoffed, “Unfortunately, that’s not the case for the others. My research suggested you were different. That’s why I visited you last.”

"Interesting. I have learned something new in the last few minutes."

Her eyebrows lifted slightly. "Do tell."

"You like games. A psychological competition to challenge the mental agility of the participants." I've never been much of a game player myself. "What I'm uncertain about is the purpose of this particular… contest." Although I have my suspicions.

“Let’s call it an interview.” She winked.

“And have you selected somepony?”

“As a matter of fact, yes, I have.” She pulled out a bag of bits from her satchel and tossed it on the desk with a heavy thunk. It dwarfed the previous retainer and spoke of a case that would be long, dangerous, or illegal. Perhaps all three.

“You assume I’m in a position to drop everything to take on a new case?”

One of her eyebrows arched dramatically. “Please, my dear Mr Steel. I believe we’re done playing games.” She turned her hoof over to reveal a folded sheet of paper. Rather than place it on the desk, she hoofed it to me with a soft smile. I unfolded it and began to read…

I blinked a couple times and looked up. “Are you bucking serious?”