• Published 22nd Mar 2022
  • 2,016 Views, 63 Comments

My Little Pony: Legends of Old and New - AlphaToothless95



Bringing magic back had many perks and benefits. But not all of them benefit the greater good. Sunny is about to learn that the hard way.

  • ...
4
 63
 2,016

Holding the fort

The closer the army got to the base, the more Sunny’s fear increased, but this time she was able to keep it in check. Her magic may be stronger now but it’s unpredictable. Along with hardly being able to run straight, Sunny couldn’t fully control her magic anymore, meaning she couldn’t activate it whenever she wanted anymore. She just hoped she wouldn’t need it and that the traps would keep Midnight and her army back and force them to retreat. Right now, she was on the roof, keeping a lookout and as soon as she saw one of the airships, she went inside to warn everypony. They wait for a bit before Pinkie Pie presses a button that activates a bunch of mines. Soon they all see explosions of pink and blue that doesn’t kill anyone but it does pack quite a punch and send ponies flying, knocking them out.

Pinkie Pie let’s out her signature laugh and gestures to Izzy, prompting her to use her scythe to cut a bunch of ropes connected to catapults. This causes some catapults to send weaponized sweets at the army and the airships and the biggest one sends a massive cake with a “surprise” inside it and when it hits the airship at the front, landing in one of the engines/turbines, the grenade or as Pinkie calls her specialized explosives: Party bombs, explodes, causing it to go down. “Whoohooo! That’s what I call an explosive party favor. Oh, and here come the party-poopers.” Pinkie says as she sees the Deathbolts flying towards them and they have a LOT more members now.

“Alright girls, you’re up!” Applejack says through the comm in her ear. “Show 'em who the better flyers are!” she yells and Rainbow, Fluttershy, Zipp, Pipp, and Brightburn all take that as their queue to go ahead. They all run and jump off and fly towards the Deathbolts, fighting them and proceeding to keep them away from the base. Even with their combined power, they were starting to lose. So Rainbow Dash decided that desperate times call for desperate measures. She slammed her fist into her left hand, closed her eyes and tried to concentrate. Everyone except Artemis and the rest of Twilight’s friends had a look of confusion that quickly turned into one of shock when storm clouds rolled in and streaks of multicolored lightning struck against Rainbow Dash all at the same time and when it stopped, Rainbow’s mane was flowing and she was white and glowing, and her eyes were glowing red. She had an aura coming off her like she was on fire and in a way, she was. She smirked at the Deathbolts and lightning radiated off her arms, causing them to back off a bit.

She sends lightning at the leader and it bounces from them to the rest of the Deathbolts, knocking them all out and making them crash. After that, she grabs a lightning bolt, aims at another one of the airships, and throws it, damaging it and the engines, causing it to go down. Everyone cheers when it does. “Way to go Rainbow!!” Pinkie yells excitedly until one of the downed ships starts glowing purple which slowly becomes red. They all get nervous and look confused when the ship explodes. Out of the explosion, Midnight flys out from the top, her eyes, feathers, and markings on her body glowing red, along with the tip of her mane and tail. She looks at them all and focuses her glare directly on Sunny.

Seeing this, Sunny flinches and starts to back up, scared out of her mind. Midnight smirks and starts flying at them as fast as she can, breaking the sound barrier when she flys fast enough, causing Rainbow's team to lose balance and crash. Everyone prepared to block the impact but before Midnight reached them, Twilight came out of nowhere and punched her with all her might, sending her sliding across the ground. Twilight now had purple glowing markings on her body again. She went down to fight her and Sunny backed up, still a little scared but then she felt something behind her and screamed in fear, turning around and seeing it was Midnight and she looked more terrifying than ever. “Hello.. Sunny.” She says and before anyone can help Sunny, a shot hits the base, causing an explosion and splitting everyone up. After a few seconds to gather themselves, everyone gets up and looks around, checking on each other. They notice that Sunny is no longer with them though.

“Wait.. where’s Sunny?!” Izzy asks, frantically and as they look around, they can’t seem to find her. Anywhere.


As Sunny woke up, she quickly began to panic once she remembered what happened and saw that she was in a different location. “Oh no-“ she says before a voice interrupts her.

“Oh yes actually, I’ve been waiting for this for a long time. And now I finally get to finish you off.” Midnight says with a chuckle as she appears behind Sunny and punches her across the room. “In case you’re wondering, Twilight is fighting a clone right now so she’s not coming.. no one is coming to help you. It’s just you.. and me!” Midnight yells as she charges at Sunny and delivers a magic-fueled punch towards her but she just barely manages to dodge it and find an exit, instantly going out and trying to get as far away from Midnight as she could. She tried summoning her magic but quickly found that she was too scared and it was keeping her from becoming an alicorn.

She hears Midnight’s laugh echo down the hallway, sending a chill through her entire body. She knew she was still scared of Midnight, just not exactly sure how much. She ends up bumping into Midnight again but this time, Midnight doesn’t give her the chance to run away and grabs Sunny by her throat, picking her up and choking her. “Now that you’ve leveled up, what better time to feed on your magic? Believe it or not, I’m actually glad you got more magic because if I steal it at this point, I’ll be more powerful than ever without my arcane form. That’s smart talk for alicorn super form just so you know.” Midnight says before starting to drain Sunny's magic. Sunny starts to panic and kicks at Midnight, hardly causing her to even flinch. “After I’m done here, I’ll make you watch as I destroy this place and all your friends along with it. Ooh, or best case scenario, I’ll make you do it all for me.” Midnight says, her eyes glowing red even more than they already have been. That thought scares and angers Sunny.

“NO!!” Sunny yells as she starts glowing and a wave of magic explodes out of her body, pushing Midnight and herself apart from each other, both getting stunned. Sunny recovers a few seconds before Midnight and takes the chance to teleport away. She ends up on top of the gigantic base and looks around, seeing all the destruction and seeing the army still coming but also seeing her friends still fighting. She wishes that she could do something, anything but stand there and watch as they risked everything to protect her. She sighs and looks down, feeling more useless than ever, especially after just being chased by Midnight and being able to do nothing but run away scared. “I can’t let this continue.. I have to do my part! I won’t let you scare me anymore!!” Sunny says trying to convince herself that what she was saying was true, also trying to force her magic to come out. “My friends are counting on me.. and I refuse to let them down! Ever! Again!!” Sunny yells jumping off the base and diving towards the ground. Midnight smashes through a wall and tackles her as she falls.

“I won’t let you or your little friends stand in my way!!” Midnight yells as she attacks Sunny, all of her hits being blocked and countered. Sunny smirks at her, her eyes glowing as she grabs the alicorn amulet which was attached to Midnight’s armor. As soon as she touches it though, she freezes up and suddenly she’s in a very dark room with hardly any light except from the Moon. She looks around and sees a little ball of purple.. and it’s moving. She touches it and felt it shaking for just a second before it tensed up and slowly looked at her.. and Sunny quickly realizes that.. it’s Solaris. She had tears coming from her eyes and her mane looked disheveled.

“P-Please.. help me..” she says with a shaky voice but before Sunny can say anything back, she’s back in the real world, still fighting Midnight. She glares at Midnight, more determined than ever to stop her and save everypony. That includes Solaris.

“We already have.” Sunny says before a very powerful explosion of magic knocks Midnight away from her, through the mountain and Sunny manages to summon her wings and horn and flys up and away from the ground. Midnight flys up at her and they proceed to fighting, Sunny being smarter than she was being last time they had a real battle. Instead of trying to fight Midnight head-on like last time, she actually keeps her distance and keeps dodging and blocking Midnight's attacks, trying to get her to tire herself out.

“Stand still so I can kill you and take your magic!!!” Midnight yells, enraged and annoyed, noticing that she was starting to get slower and her attacks were starting to pack less of a punch. Instead of completely destroying Sunny's shields, her attacks merely just damaged and weakened them now.

“Oh yeah, that’s REAL appealing.” Sunny says, mocking Midnight’s poor choice of words.

Midnight after a few more attempts and fails at stunning, let alone killing Sunny, had grown tired and once Sunny saw an opening, she went for it and punched Midnight as hard as she could, blasting her to send her even further back than she would’ve gone, sending her straight through one of her own ships. Sunny continued blasting, using it to saw the ship in half, causing it to explode. It crashes by the army, knocking them all down and stunning them. She feels bad for it but she knows it’s what has to be done. She sees that some new and familiar faces have joined the fight and recognizes some of them as Askari, and the purple unicorn that had tried to stop them from destroying their island, Nebula and the pegasus who found and protected her from the other angry ponies, Firestar.

She also saw five Alicorns, a bat pony, and two hippogriffs, and a blue pegasus, the one Zipp said she had met, Skylight. Sunny flys down to help her friends fight and they start to push the army back very soon. Artemis looks at Sunny and laughs, playfully punching her in the shoulder. “You did good Sunny! I’m proud of you. Keep it up and you’re sure to beat Midnight without breaking a-“ Artemis says but before she can finish her sentence, she sees something heading for Sunny and pushes her out of the way to protect her but it ends up hitting her instead and going straight through her back and stomach.

“ARTEMIS!!” came the horrified yells of everypony else and the pure evil laughter of Midnight as she walks up to Sunny and Artemis, Sunny trying her best to keep Artemis from passing out or bleeding out. It turns out that what had hit her was a magical glowing spear.

“Oh I’m sorry was she still talking? Being overconfident? Well that’s what happens to anyone who gets close to you, Sunny Starscout! This is what you bring with you everywhere you go!” Says Nebula as she walks past a few members of Midnight’s army.

“Are you kidding me right now?! We’re trying to save Equestria!! I’m trying to make up for what I did and you just.. you just hurt one of my mentors.. my friends!” Sunny yells, enraged and unable to stop herself from what she’s about to do.

“Nebula!! We need Sunny to stop Midnight!! If you kill her, you’ll be giving her exactly what she wants!!” Skylight yells but the unicorn seems to ignore her words and charges towards Sunny. She makes two magic daggers and aims them towards Sunny’s face but the alicorn ducks and uppercuts her in the stomach. After she stops tumbling away, Firestar holds her down before she can get up.

“Mark my words Starscout, one way or another you’re gonna pay for what you did to my home, to my friends!! And it’s gonna hurt!! Mind control or not, it doesn’t excuse what you did!! You hear me?! You’re a monster, and a murderer!! And you deserve death!!” Nebula screams at Sunny, her voice filled with more anger and hatred than she had ever seen or heard from anyone. Seeing this, Sunny frowned and all she wanted to do was go over and apologize. But then Izzy called her over and she instantly sprinted over and noticed that Artemis had gone limp and didn’t look like she was breathing.

“Sunny.. Artemis.. she won’t wake up.. she.. she’s..” Izzy tries to say but Sunny can already guess what the unicorn was trying to tell her.

“No.. no.. this can’t be happening.. please Artemis get up! We still need you! I need you here to teach me.. to guide me.. to help me make things right..” Sunny says while gently shaking Artemis, hoping she would wake up.. but she didn’t. Sunny and Izzy both started to cry and so did the rest of her friends and Artemis's friends. Midnight walks over, clapping and smiling.

“Well well well Sunny.. that’s someone else close to you that you’ve managed to get killed.. Artemis died protecting you.. this is all. Your. Fault.” Midnight says, lifting Sunny’s chin up so she was looking at her, Sunny just glaring at her. “Perhaps you make a good villain after all..” Midnight says and Sunny’s eyes, wings and horn glow more than ever and she screams while magic radiates off her and shines brightly. When the light disappears, they’re all gone but Nebula is still there. Midnight smirks and raises her fist in the air. “We’ve WON!!!” Midnight yells as loud as she can and everyone cheers and proceeds to march on towards the base to take it over.

After recruiting Nebula and promising to show her something important soon, Midnight notices something on the ground and picks it up, seeing that it was a gem in the shape of a star that fell off of Artemis’s armor. She smiles evilly at it. “Goodbye.. old friend.” She says, dropping it and walking off, stepping on it and breaking it in the process. “You too were not good enough to stop me.” Midnight says, before flying up, laughing evilly. She had just killed Artemis, one of the strongest Alicorns.. and Sunny was next.


A week later

An entire week.. that’s how long it had been since Artemis died and nopony got over it, both Sunny and Thunderbird were enraged and Twilight was devastated. Out of everyone there, they were the closest to Artemis. They were able to bury her three days ago but they only regretted that it couldn’t be a proper funeral. No matter where they went, there were always some supporters of Midnight somewhere in Equestria so nowhere was safe as far as they knew. Well except for Bridlewood, which was where they were currently staying. Sure Alphabittle had been hesitant at first but after a bit of convincing and pleading from Izzy, he ignored all his doubts and decided to let them stay, at least until they figured out a plan. They had managed to get away but everyone was increasingly concerned.. about Sunny.

A few times now when they were attacked or ambushed, Sunny had shown signs of new levels of aggression that no one had seen from her and she had nearly killed a few ponies and if they weren’t dead, they definitely had some internal and eternal injuries and bleeding. Izzy went to check on Sunny, despite everyone’s protests and pleas to give her some space. They had done plenty of that already but she didn’t want Sunny to feel like everyone was avoiding her or that they thought she was dangerous because neither of those things were true. She hesitantly knocked on the door but no answer came, not even a sound from the room. She knocked again but still nothing. She tried opening the door but it was locked so she sighed and after exhausting those options, she teleported in and.. Sunny was nowhere to be found.

“Sunny? You in here?” Izzy asks as she walks around, looking for her. She doesn’t find her though, but she does find a note and read over it.

Hey guys

You’re probably wondering where I am or what I’m planning to do but if I told you in person, you’d just try to stop me.. so this is the best way for me to go about it. As you probably already guessed as soon as you saw I was gone.. I’m going after Midnight.. by myself. I know you don’t think this is a good idea but it’s for the best..

I can’t allow anyone else to die because of me. I don’t care what happens to me, as long as you all can live long, happy lives, I’m ok with anything Midnight does to me.. and as long as I can buy you all time to figure something out to put an end to all of this. I’m.. so sorry it has to be this way but if it keeps you all safe, I don’t regret it.. or anything else I’ll probably do.
I love you guys..

Sunny

Izzy can’t believe what she just read but she does start to cry. Sunny was gonna get herself killed but she didn’t care.. as long as she and everyone else stayed safe. “You noble dummy..” Izzy says with a shaky voice and a smile as she continued staring at the note and crying. She knew she would have to tell her friends but right now.. she just needed a moment to process the fact that Sunny was more noble than anyone else had ever thought. Sunny knew this path would most likely lead to her death, but she was happy knowing that her sacrifice would at least give her friends time to stop Midnight themselves. “Don’t worry Sunny.. we’ll find you.. and we’ll save Equestria together.. I promise.”