• Published 16th Jan 2022
  • 1,011 Views, 263 Comments

Bad Dragon's Short Stories - Bad Dragon



Got a minute? It will take you even less to read one of these unrelated short stories designed for instant reader’s gratification.

  • ...
39
 263
 1,011

PreviousChapters Next
39 - Underrated [2023.08]

Scootaloo sniffed, trying to hold back her tears as she watched Rainbow Dash fly across the sky. Being groundbound since birth the sky was beyond her reach.

Her favorite Wonderbolt in view performed amazing stunts and tricks that brought joy to the filly, yet every one of them felt like a dagger piercing her heart at the same time. She wished she could be like her role model, but her wings were too tiny. The closest she could ever get to flying was sitting on the cliff’s edge, watching Wonderbolts fly.

Rainbow Dash landed behind her. “Did you see what I just did? Do you approve of it? Am I a decent pegasus or what?”

“Approve? Decent?” Scootaloo raised her eyebrows. “Rainbow Dash, why do you even hang out with me when you could be flying with the awesome Wonderbolts instead? I can hardly call myself a pegasus; I might as well be an Earth pony…”

“I’m sorry. I guess it’s time I tell you about the prophecy of the god of flight.”

“There’s a prophecy about you?”

“Not about me. I’m no god.” Rainbow Dash sat down and bowed her head. “I’ve been selfish. Since the day I first saw you, I knew you were special. I never said anything because I was afraid of living in your shadow. It was obvious that my time in the spotlight was running out. I had no chance against your awesomeness. Only your ignorance allowed me to shine for a while longer. But today, my journey ends, and yours begins.”

“What are you talking about? I can’t even lift off!”

“You weren’t built for slow lift-offs. Your wings are shaped for speed.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“I always knew you wouldn’t. It’s why you have to see it to believe it. It’s why I have no choice but to do this.” With that, Rainbow Dash pushed Scootaloo off the cliff. “Fly!”

“Wha—” Scootaloo plummeted. “Rainbow Dash, please save me! I’m gonna die!”

Rainbow Dash lay flat on the rocks, crossed her hind legs and supported her head with both forehooves.

The whole mountain shook as the sound barrier was breached. The sky bathed in rainbow colors. A moment later, a little filly accelerated vertically above the mountain.

Rainbow Dash squinted her eyes and watched her intensely. She proceeded to count, “Mach 2, mach 3, mach 4,...”

Author's Note:

This story participated in the 2023.08 "Underrated" writing competition

Gdoc

PreviousChapters Next