• Published 31st Oct 2012
  • 1,674 Views, 18 Comments

Ten Months Later - Z-A-C



Seth has been stuck in his stone prison with out any visitors. They will pay.

  • ...
3
 18
 1,674

Chapter 10: Sorrow

"I do apologize Applejack, my dear friend."

"Whatdja do?! Where are we!?!"

"Somewhere I've grown tired of these last few days." I rubbed my eyes. "You are not the only one to see the place either. The princesses, Fluttershy, Pinkie, and Rarity. You will be taken to them don't worry."

"Seth you better tell me what yer doing right now!!"

"Do you really want to know?" She looked unsure. "Thought so."

"Ah a new guest I see. Dear Applejack this time huh? Hmm.....What should we do to her?"

"Do what you want. I don't want any part of it."

"Oh nonsense! You seemed so....in to it, when we were torturing Rarity." He laughed. "It was refreshing to see your hatred for that mare come out. Let's let that hatred come out again shall we?" He laughed again and a sickening blackness emerged from under him and started to slither toward me. "Don't try to resist it. You're mine." The blackness lunged toward me and landed on my chest, slowly sinking into it. I tried to grab it but my hands went through it. I was powerless, I could do nothing. I collapsed and everything started to go dark. The pain is unbearable. I think I might be dying.

I awoke floating face up in a river. I looked around and saw trees on fire, forever burning or so it seemed. I flipped around and stood up, and when I started walking against the flow of the river, it started raining. I held out a hand to catch some of the rain, and found that it was blood. I washed my hand off in the river, and noticed that somewhere in the distance where deep menacing laughter and screams that sounded like Applejack, I tried to run and get angry but something about this place wouldn't allow me. There was this slightly unnerving peace that washed over me anytime fear or rage started to show through. It kept me flat, like I was on some kind of medication.

"My my Seth. What an.....interesting place you have here." I heard a voice that was somehow familiar. "It's been awhile since you've last been here, what's the occasion? No don't tell me, it's not necessary."

"Where are you!?" I said with as much fear as I was allowed to muster.

"Sad really. Being locked away for so long." He rose from the river in front of me causing me to stop. "So...sad. Something terrible must have happened for you to come here." He had a black shirt and desert camouflage pants on. "Sadness fills this place you know? River of tears, which you wade in now, are from the families of your victims."

"E-Eli?? B-but how?!" I could feel tears starting to form.

"Sorrow....sorrow." He said holding his chin like he was thinking. "I am not your brother Seth."

"Then who are you?!" I asked trying to fight back the tears.

"You never gave me a real name, so I can't answer that question. You are here for a reason, and asking question is not it. Listen Seth, You have caused suffering to people and ponies alike. You need to learn your lesson and pray foul whelp that this is the only time you will be here."

"What do I need to do?"

"It's simple. Follow me up the river. I will guide you through the sorrow, that has been repressed all these years." He walked up the stream backwards. Never letting me leave his sight. "You will feel pain, so brace yourself." He stopped and I started walking toward him, but even though it looked like he was staying still, I couldn't catch up. I was walking for a few seconds and he spoke again. "Every 5 feet represents 1 year of your life. You will re-experience the sorrows of that year. All of the sadness that has happened in your life and others will replay in this river."

I didn't say anything, I was to concentrated on getting out of here, and stopping whatever Ezekiel is doing. It felt like I was in a daze while walking. It had been at least 20 or 30 feet by now and nothing. That was until I heard what sounded like a bark from a puppy. But every time the puppy barked blood gurgled up with it. It made me freeze in place. The only movement I could achieve was moving my eyes to look around. Up the river was a small puppy. It looked lost and then it looked in my direction and started to run toward me, "barking" happily and then jumped up onto my legs waging his tail. I don't even want to describe his head. All I could do was watch the little guy until the memory rushed back to me and hit me like a freight train. Tears started to flow when the memory replayed in my head.

When I was five, my parents had bought a puppy for me and my brother. He was the happiest and most energetic little thing. He had a white coat and blue-ish eyes and he was the cutest damn thing you ever saw. We've had him for about two months before.....the accident happened. Sparky we named him, not most original name but we were kids. One day Eli and I decided to moved something heavy off of the kitchen counter. What it was doesn't seem like an important detail right now. Sparky was a very curious puppy, he was under us when we were trying to move the heavy thing. It was a bit to heavy for us and we ended up dropping it...on Sparky. It crushed his neck and a good part of his head. We couldn't even get it off of him. There was no hope for him. I started bawling and Eli went to go get our mom. It took her a week to clean the blood off of the floor.

The memory ended and tears were streaming down my face. I looked at the mangled Sparky in front of me and held him. I stood there crying and holding my puppy and childhood friend. "I'm sorry! I am so fucking sorry Sparky! We didn't mean to...we didn't do it on purpose!" I started crying again and I fell to my knees. I couldn't stand anymore, it was to much. Sparky whined and nuzzled my hand. I petted his matted blood soaked fur and wept. I was a wreck if you haven't guess that by now. Sparky started wiggling out of my hands, causing me to open my eyes. I was surprised by what I saw. There he was. My puppy Sparky, like nothing ever happened to him. He jumped out of my arms and landed on the water. He barked and wagged his tail a few more times before walking passed me further down the river. I forced myself to get up and move on.

---------

I'm about 80 feet from where I started off. Nothing else really happened and the things that did, didn't have the same effect as Sparky's memory. "Let's see 80 feet...where would I be?" I stopped and tried to figure it out. "Ah 16 years old." I started walking again. I heard a voice from ahead. "Wait...16?.....Shit..." I saw someone up ahead. "Oh no....nononono." The person saw me and started walking towards me.

He walked up to me. "Oh hey Seth! Hows it going?"

"Not very good Jim. You're dead....I'm sorry..."

"I am, aren't I?" He held his chin in thought. "Hmm....how old are you now Seth, it's been forever."

I swallowed the lump in my throat and tried not to cry again. "23...I'm 23 now."

"Wow that long huh? Did you have a beer in my honor when you turned 21? You said you would."

I weakly smiled at the memory. "A promise is a promise."

"That it is." He laughed and the memory replayed in my head.

Sixteen years old and I just got my driver's license. I was proud of myself for passing the tests and a bit excited. I wouldn't have to ask my parents to take me somewhere anymore, I could drive myself! I was allowed to use my dad's car, so long I don't wreck it but that wasn't the problem. One Friday night, a couple months after I got my license Jim called me and asked if I wanted to go to a party later that night. I agreed and ask my dad if I could use his car. My dad said if I put gas in it before I bring it back I could. Pretty cool of him right? The thing is, I had no money and had to ask him for some, which meant I owed him money. But anyway, since Jim didn't live to far from me I offered to drive him and he accepted. It was an alright party I guess until some jackass ruined it for everyone. At that point people started leaving and so did we. I stopped at an intersection, and like a good driver I looked both ways before continuing. Jim and I were having a nice conversation. the subject eludes me. When I thought it was safe to go I started to drive again and then all of a sudden the passenger side of my dad's car exploded. We were hit. It was night time and that asshole had his headlights off. Obviously I was fine but Jim....wasn't. He had three broken ribs that punctured his right lung and a broken neck. The worst part of it all is that he didn't die. He lived to feel that pain and died in the hospital a few weeks later. It was during one of the visits when I promised him I would have a beer for him when I was able to.

"Hey Seth? You ok?"

I snapped out of it. "Yeah, yeah. Just had a flashback, that's all"

He padded my shoulder. "Well don't worry about it buddy. It wasn't your fault."

"B-but I was driving!" I said as tears tried to push their way through.

"It was his fault, not yours okay? At least the drunk bastard got what he deserved, right?"

"Yeah I guess."

"Well bud, I have to go. See ya around" He said and walked passed me.

"Y-yeah see ya."

------------

I was at the 90 foot mark and it didn't take long for me to figure out that I was 18 at this point. I braced myself the best I could for what was ahead. My brother Eli died when I was 18 and it was still hard to think about. I kept walking until I saw him. I saw what I imagined him to look like after the I.E.D. and it wasn't pretty. I still wasn't if that's what he really looked like but I'm sure it's pretty close. He just stood there smoking a cigarette.

"I never liked the rain you know?" He said without looking at me. He flicked the cigarette and it disappeared. "Been awhile huh? I've been watching you, you're quite the killer you know?" He laughed. "Too bad you couldn't join huh?" He turned to face me revealing the side that had been wounded. There was gaping wound in his side that was still dripping blood. I couldn't help but look away at the sight. "Whats wrong? Not happy to see your brother after so long?"

"That's not Eli I just.....Your side man..."

"Tis but a scratch!" He laughed. "I saw Sparky run pass me earlier, I missed that little guy. Tell me: What the FUCK were we thinking?"

I broke out crying again. "I don't fucking know!! I saw what he looked like! Why did we..." I couldn't finish.

"Hey now, stop the crying. Killers don't cry."

"But men do..." I managed to say in between sobs.

"Indeed they do. Look we need to get serious here. It's none of my business why you're friends with colorful ponies but you fucked up. And that....freak is hurting that orange one. You done let him have to much control. Here's what you need to do: Suck it up and teach that sadistic FUCK a lesson. You're done being pissed off at the princess, Right?" I nodded my head. " Then you need to set things right! Come on I'll help you out."

"H-how?"

"First, I'll get you out of here and then we're going to kick his ass and put him in his place. You with me?"

"But I don't think-" I cut off by something really unexpected.

Eli grabbed the collar of my shirt and lifted me up. "WE DON'T HAVE TIME!! Every fucking second we waste here he gets stronger!! You need to control him dammit and this ends now!" He dropped me and I fell into the river. "Now get off your ass and we'll face him. Together." He held out a hand.

"Always the hard-ass huh?" I chuckled as I took his hand and he lifted me up.

He patted me on the back. "Always." He laughed.

We started to walk together. "Hey what were you going to call us if we were deployed to the same place?"

"You mean if you were able to join?"

"Yeah."

"The Demon Brothers."

"Well let's see what The Demon Brothers can do."

He laughed and padded my back. "Now that's the spirit!!"

We walked to the 115th mark of the river and caught up to the person that I've been following.

"You learn your lesson?"

"I did. I need to set things right."

"Indeed. I hope I don't see you here again."

"And I hope I don't returned." He smirked and opened a door that apparently was invisible.

"Go and save your friend and make right with the world."

"Thank you," I passed him but turned before I went through the door. "The Sorrow." He smiled and laughed as Eli and I exited The River and closed the door.

I have a lot of work to do.