• Published 29th Aug 2022
  • 1,218 Views, 55 Comments

A Certain Magical Sunset - Babroniedad



Life is Bigger, Wilder, and More Wonderful than They ever Imagined! A Certain Scientific Railgun Crossover.

  • ...
5
 55
 1,218

PreviousChapters Next
A Certain Magical Sunset - Act 2 - 04 - Twilight - Academy City

Twilight - Academy City

Saturday, August 23. 9:30 PM Canterlot time. Sunday, August 24, 1:30 PM Tokyo time.

As they drove through downtown Tokyo, Sunset and Twilight both gawked like tourists as they passed by different landmarks, marveling at the lights and life surrounding them.

Eventually they arrived at Academy City. As its own sovereign state, it was walled off from Tokyo itself. After presenting their papers and passing through the checkpoint, the bustle of tourists was replaced with the busy, purposeful strides of droves of uniformed students, all heading off to their tasks. A few were enjoying the parks and fountains scattered throughout the city of learning, sharing a few relaxing moments between their studies. The energy the girls felt from the environment around them was electric, brimming with purpose and intent.

The limo pulled into the cut-away of a modern looking building, parking in the drop-off area. Their driver got out, opening the door for them as the ramp again extended out automatically. The driver fetched their bags from the trunk, then led them into the lobby and up to the concierge desk.

Kon'nichiwa, korera wa anata ga matte iru on'nanokodesu. Arigatōgozaimashita,” their driver told the woman at the desk while bowing. She left the roll-abouts by the desk and smiled as she bowed to the girls. “Welcome to Academy Tokiwadai Towers. Enjoy your stay in our fine city!” She then returned to her limo and left.

Taking the girls luggage, the concierge turned to the girls and bowed.

“As my associate stated,” greeted the concierge, “Welcome to Academy Tokiwadai Towers. I’ll take you to your room so you can unpack and freshen up after your long flight.” The girls bowed back.

Arigatō!” said Sunset.

They followed her to the elevators. Entering, she pressed the top button labeled ペントハウス (Pentohausu). The doors shut, the lift smoothly rising to the top floor. Typing a code into the keypad at the top of the panel, the doors rolled open to the foyer of the penthouse apartments on the top floor.

The concierge led them out into the spacious entryway. Skylights overhead lit the room with sunlight, with six doors surrounding the room, two on the edges of the near corners and one each of the far corners. She led them over to the far left-facing corner, keying in her code on the keypad by the door. The door opened, and she led them into their apartment.

The girl's jaws dropped. The apartment was open and modern, with a modest but well-appointed kitchenette to their left side as they entered. A comfortable living space was just beyond the kitchenette, furnished with a large couch and one of the largest TV screens they’d ever seen on the opposite wall. Even more breathtaking was the view of the city from the full floor-to-ceiling windows that made up the back wall of the apartment. Beyond the kitchenette and dining area were two doors in the near wall to the guest bedroom and a large walk in closet. To their right was a short hall, with doors to a bathroom with western style toilet, and japanese style bath and wash stand. On the other side of the hall, facing out over the city below, was the master bedroom, furnished with a desk, chair, dresser, end table, and queen sized bed, as well as the picture window providing the entire rear wall, facing out over the city below.

“This will be your apartment during your stay with us,” informed the concierge as she opened the door, letting the girls into the comfortable master bedroom. The floor-to-ceiling window extended the back length of the room. She placed their bags by the dresser and removed a keypad from her pocket.

“You’ll have access to the areas apportioned to you through keyed access. Please type a code here. Then, after it’s accepted, enter it again. This will be your key. Please do not share it with anyone.” She held out the pad. Twilight took it and typed in her code. A green light flashed at the top, and she entered it again. The green light flashed again, went solid for several seconds, then went out. She passed the pad to Sunset who repeated the process. When Sunset finished, she handed the pad back to the concierge who placed it back in her pocket.

“This apartment has two bedrooms and a western-style bathroom. The next room over is the second bedroom. The room across from you is the bathroom,” she explained. “Please don’t hesitate to let us know if you need anything,” she continued. “You can reach us by dialing 0 on any of the phones in the apartment or through the app on your phones, which you may load by following the link I just texted you. The app will also assist you in configuring your wifi and internet access for your devices. You’ll find an information packet in the desktop drawer by the bed. Please enjoy your stay in our city.” She bowed again, then left the apartment.

Twilight turned to Sunset. “Sweet Maker above! Look at this place!” she crowed. “It’s awesome! I don’t think I’d ever want to leave!” She walked over to the window looking out over the city.

Nodding happily, Sunset rolled over to the desk and took out the information packet. Reading it, she pulled out her phone and loaded up the app the concierge mentioned. Grinning, she selected an option on the app.

The window next to Twilight turned opaque.

“Hey!” Twilight called out. Sunset cackled.

“Now that’s awesome! No need for curtains! The window blacks out itself,” Sunset laughed.

Twilight crossed over to Sunset reading over her shoulder. “Ah. That is awesome!” She pulled out her phone and loaded up the app. Signing in with her keycode, she returned the window to its clear state. “Sweet!” she laughed.

“Right!? I can't wait to have the girls over and show this off. Maybe after the sleepover Saturday?” Sunset grinned.

“Sure! Maybe we can have them over Sunday and take in the city together. They’d love it!” agreed Twilight.

Twilight took the booklet from Sunset who was still reading it and looking at the options on the app.

“Check this out!” Twilight laughed after stealing the book. “The fridge keeps an inventory of the food in it, and you can set it up to restock itself automatically!”

“The things they think of!” laughed Sunset in agreement as she switched to the online version of the booklet linked in the app. “Oh wow! The TV out there is linked up to just about every streaming service there is. I guess I know where we are hosting our next movie night.”

Twilight nodded happily, still reading.

When they finished, Sunset went to put her things away.

“So Sparky,” prompted Sunset, “Going to take your things to your bedroom?” she teased.

“I’m in my bedroom, dork!” she laughed back. “Right next to my roommate. No way am I sleeping in the guest room. I like it here!”

Sunset laughed. “People will talk! What will they think?! What will we do?” she snarked.

“What will I care?” snarked Twilight right back, placing her arm around her friend. “I’m by your side where I belong! Let them talk!” She laughed, giving Sunset a hug.

“Ditto that, Sparky,” she agreed, hugging her back. “Side by side.”

They unpacked their bags, stowing the luggage in the closet. Once unpacked, they went to the bathroom to freshen up.

Back in the main apartment, Sunset yawned.

“I could really go for some dinner,” Sunset announced. “I wonder what is available at this hour. It’s after 10 PM Canterlot time, so it’s… let’s see. Oh, it’s just after 3 PM local time.” She chuckled. “So an early dinner time. Wow! Talk about a long day! Feel like taking a stroll Sparky?”

“Sounds good to me!” agreed Twilight. “Let’s go find some dinner!”

Twilight opened the door for Sunset who rolled towards the elevators. As Twilight left the apartment, the door shut and locked itself.

So cool!” said Twilight with a giddy squee.

They got into the elevator. Riding it down to the main floor, they rolled up to the concierge desk.

“We’re going to head out and find some dinner. We’ll be back afterward. Do you have any recommendations?” asked Sunset.

The concierge smiled. “Of course. Restaurant row is just down the street about three blocks to the east.” She pointed off to the left. “There are lots of options there. I’m sure you'll find something to your liking.” The girls bowed and thanked her before heading out.

The streets were busy at this hour. Crowds of students and tourists were entering and leaving the establishments. Of course Twilight found a bookstore along the way, so they had to stop in to browse, wasting over an hour pulling each other back and forth across the store. Twilight was interested in their scientific tomes, while Sunset couldn’t stay away from the Manga. The salesgirl informed them they could have anything they bought delivered to their apartment at Tokiwadai Towers, which they happily took advantage of by giving her their apartment number.

Finally succumbing to their hunger pangs, they left the shop, agreeing to return in the future. They found the restaurants just as the concierge said.

“So what do you feel like?” Twilight asked.

Sunset looked at the Mac’ronall Hamburger at the beginning of the row. “Nope! Not feeling it. Not today. How about something more authentic? I see a noodle shop a little ways down, feel like trying that out?” she asked.

“That sounds perfect! Lead on, Sunny,” grinned Twilight.

Sunset rolled down the street, Twilight at her side. Along the way the girls noted that, despite how crowded the street was, they had little trouble traversing the sidewalk. They chatted happily as they strolled to the noodle shop.

Twilight opened the door, holding it for Sunset who followed her in.


Smiling contentedly and quite full, the girls returned to their apartment when they finished eating. Bowing in greeting to the concierge upon their return as they passed, they went to the elevator and up to their apartment. Twilight keyed in her code and they entered. On her way to the bedroom, Sunset checked her messages, accepting an appointment for their exams the following morning.

“Looks like my exams are scheduled first thing,” Sunny announced. “We have to be at the Academy offices by 8 AM to begin testing.”

After changing into her nightgown, Twilight checked her phone, accepting her appointment as well.

“Yup! Me too,” Twilight concurred. “Okay! Setting the alarm for 6:30 AM so we have time to get ready and get there. Sunny, you should set your phone to local time,” she recommended.

“Good point. This is more than just an extended stay.” Sunset took her phone out and made the adjustment from Canterlot to Tokyo time. She then rolled to the dresser and changed for the night.

The girls did their nightly ablutions then snuggled up together in the bed. Sunset took her phone and cleared the opacity on the window.

“It’s our first evening here,” mused Sunset. “I think I’d like to fall asleep watching the cityscape.” She smiled at Twilight who nodded grinning.

Chatting happily while looking out over the city they fell asleep.


Spiritual reflection robs the self of hate, self introspection gives hate its reasons - The Celestial Teachings


Author's Note:

Events in A Certain Magical Index during this time:

  • Etzali abducts Unabara Mitsuki, takes Mitsuki's form, and begins stalking Misaka Mikoto, with the objective of taking her form and sowing distrust amongst Kamijou Touma and his peers.[130]

And in case anyone is wondering, the apartments are based off of these, Ooka International Residence and the Researchers Room at the Tokiwadai International Residence. And yes, your eyes do not deceive you, that really is a Family Mart on the bottom floor. Talk about student friendly! The view is stellar too.

City Scape
Academy City Skyline
Tokiwadai Middle School Dorm.
Tokiwadai International Residence
And for reference, the floor plan.

PreviousChapters Next